Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync

Author
Clik
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 354
2011/01/02 22:30:42 (permalink)

Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync

This is not the first time I've sync'ed devices, but it is the first time I've tried to get Sonar and a Tascam 2488neo to cooperate.  Not going well!

I've run a series of tests to verify that Sonar and the Tascam are both working, separately; they are.  But combine them, and weird things happen.

On one machine, with Sonar 4 Producer, sync sorta LOOKS like it's working.  But audibly, it's clear, Sonar and the Tascam are worlds apart.  And not in a nice, clean, consistent-time-offset kind of way.

On another (test) machine, with Sonar 8.5 Producer, again -- sync LOOKS like it's working.  But attempting sync there kills all output!  Here's the scenario:  set Sonar to audio sync, and midi and audio in the test file both play fine.  Set Sonar to SMPTE/MTC sync, and the cursor moves; the MBT clock even looks like it's following the Tascam.  But suddenly there is NO midi or audio output.

Any ideas what I should/could look at?  I'm getting really really REALLY familiar with the sync menus, in both Sonar and the Tascam!

P.S.  FWIW, 2 interfaces involved -- Edirol US-101 and a SB Audigy -- both of which have proven themselves 1,000 million times over.

12 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 11:32:46 (permalink)
    Did you read about SMPTE/MTC in the manual or help menu? I believe you need to record a SMPTE track on the Tascam in order to sync the two. Its like striping a tape. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 12:41:33 (permalink)
    Dave , its a digital recorder , so must have MMC or word clock, Ok lets see what this puppy can do

2488NEO SPECIFICATIONS

• New mastering effects include multiband compression, EQ and noise shaping for pro-sounding CD mixes
    • 80GB internal hard drive
    • 3-band EQ on 24 channels, 8-inputs and stereo bus with high and low sweepable shelving bands and full parametric mid band
    • Three aux sends on all channels except the effects return
    • Loop effect provides reverb, delay, chorus and more on an aux send and return
    • Assignable Guitar multi-effects processor for overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, flange and more
    • Up to eight assignable dynamics processors for compression during recording or mixdown
    • Dedicated Stereo Compressor on the stereo output
    • Eight inputs: 4 XLR with phantom power double as 1/4" mic/line inputs, plus four more 1/4" mic/line inputs
    • Nineteen 45mm faders including master fader
    • LCD display for viewing meters and edit parameters
    • 250 Virtual tracks
    • CD-RW drive to record Audio CDs, import/export WAV files and backup hard drive
    • High-speed USB 2.0 jack connects to PC or Mac® for data backup and SMF/WAV file
    • Recording resolution: 44.1kHz, 16-bit or 24-bit

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

johnnyV
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 12:48:12 (permalink)
    Sorry I can't download the user manual as I'm limited to 500MB a month on my internet ( Cell phone)
    But just a quick look seems like it will work. I've sync a similar machine , Yamaha MD8, and it took some fuss but it worked perfectly in both directions. Sonar control of the Yamaha and Yamaha control of Sonar.
    So first I would try setting the Tascam to receive MMC ( Midi Machine Control)  and see if it will respond to Sonars transport. I see it has a USB connection, can that be used for control?
    Also can't you just dump the Wave files using the USB port into your computer and then import them to Sonar. Or are you trying to add MIDI using Sonar to the 24 recorded tracks?
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/03 12:50:36

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 13:35:59 (permalink)

Dave , its a digital recorder , so must have MMC or word clock, Ok lets see what this puppy can do

I'm well aware that its a digital recorder, but if you want to sync using SMPTE, you have to have a SMPTE striped track to follow. 

Why don't you just use MIDI sync instead of SMPTE (unless you're trying to sync to video)? If you do, make sure you have Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop Clock selected and the right MIDI port selected in the Send MIDI Sync section of Preferences-Project-MIDI. 

post edited by daveny5 - 2011/01/03 13:53:04

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    ivanSC
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 325
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 19:45:21 (permalink)
    really dumb question.
    You do have them set to the same sample and bitrate, don`t you?

johnnyV
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 20:16:47 (permalink)
    Sorry Dave, I missed the SMPTE part, boy that's would be going back in time ( no pun)  wouldn't it?

Ivan, sorry, but we are talking about syncing machines. It has nothing( well kind off)  to do with audio, or MIDI.
    Syncing is using a time code signal to slave one machine to a master machine. In the old days like Dave says this would involve recording a generated time code SMPTE to an empty track. It was invented by the movie guys/ To make matters worse there are different frame rates. I think Sonar defaults to 30 fps. So your slave needs to be set the same.
    In the mid 80's MTC  MIDI Time Clock and MMC= MIDI machine Control made it so sequencers could control the transport of hardware recorders. This eliminated having to own a SMPTE tone generator among other things.  Back then we had no audio, just MIDI on the computer so it was cool. 
    An Atari could do this in 1985 so there should be no problem in this day and age. It's just one of those set up conundrums headaches. 

So we wait for the OP.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/03 20:26:56

Scarlett 6i6

Clik
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 22:13:38 (permalink)
    daveny5

I'm well aware that its a digital recorder, but if you want to sync using SMPTE, you have to have a SMPTE striped track to follow. 

Why don't you just use MIDI sync instead of SMPTE (unless you're trying to sync to video)? If you do, make sure you have Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop Clock selected and the right MIDI port selected in the Send MIDI Sync section of Preferences-Project-MIDI.

OK, first: the Tascam can generate SMPTE time code on the fly, in various frame rates.   You don't stripe a track -- in fact, I'm pretty sure that's impossible.  Also, FWIW, I tried 25 fps and 30 fps -- no difference.

Second, at this point I was trying to get the Tascam to act as the master, with Sonar the slave.

Third, as for MIDI sync (midi "clocks," in Tascam lingo) -- tried that, too.  Didn't work.  HOWEVER, one of my tests was to slave an Alesis drum machine (SR16) to the Tascam, using MIDI sync.  THAT worked flawlessly.

The other issue with MIDI sync, per the Sonar 4 manual, is that "Digital audio will play back, but not necessarily in sync."  Boy, I can vouch for that!

I experimented a little bit using Sonar as the master, and didn't have any success that way, either.  I have no objection to going that route, if it can be made to work.

The ultimate goal here, BTW, is to mix and match working environments.  I would like to be able to start an idea on the Tascam, then add some MIDI and/or audio parts in Sonar (the Tascam doesn't really do MIDI, and even though 24 tracks of audio is a lot, I've run into scenarios where it's easier to keep a project organized, by using lots of separate audio tracks).

post edited by Clik - 2011/01/04 23:59:28
    Clik
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 22:21:51 (permalink)
    johnnyV

I see it has a USB connection, can that be used for control?

Also can't you just dump the Wave files using the USB port into your computer and then import them to Sonar. Or are you trying to add MIDI using Sonar to the 24 recorded tracks?

The USB is for data transfer.  Yes, you can dump wave files to the PC and import them to Sonar.  Two issues:  (1) it is INCREDIBLY slow, and (2) practically speaking, you pretty much lose the ability to go back and forth between the Tascam and Sonar, as your working environment.  It's as if you are saying, "OK, I'm done with the Tascam now -- this has become a Sonar project."  Shouldn't have to work that way...  as you know, since you've done the same thing with a Yamaha recorder!

Also, before I forget -- THANKS everyone, for puzzling over this with me!
    post edited by Clik - 2011/01/03 22:24:11
    Clik
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/03 22:25:17 (permalink)
    ivanSC

really dumb question.
    You do have them set to the same sample and bitrate, don`t you?

Yep.
    Clik
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/05 22:29:51 (permalink)
    OMG folks, is it really completely hopeless???
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/10 13:39:53 (permalink)
    clik...i want to do the same thing yet i havent tried it yet..i do slave my sr 16 all the time in synch with my internal clock on the neo2488,damn right it works flawlessly..maybe we can work together on this for i want to do the same thing..for me though..i want to control faders..eq..fx..for sonar x1 essentail with out having to click everything..id rather move a realistic fader than click a mouse..or maybe a little vice versa..im going to give it a shot tonight..ill get back to you..looks like we have the same equipment...im running windows seven 64 bit..though i thnk my sonar essential only supports 32..ill get back to you
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Sonar VS. the Tascam 2488neo: sync 2011/01/10 14:11:53 (permalink)
    There are two types of midi sync signal. Midi clock, which  varies according to tempo and MTC (Midi Time Code) which is the midi version of SMPTE timecode. When you are trying to sync any two devices together you have to systematically try making each unit the master and the other the slave and try sending either Midi clock or MTC. There are 4 combinations. Each unit as master and sending either Midi Clock or MTC. Check the receiving unit is expecting the same type of clock signal you are sending from the master. If it is not they won't lock or work. Frame rates should be the same if using MTC. In Australia we are on 25. I am just suggesting you methodically try all options. You may have skipped one.

I run an Apple Laptop with Pro Tools, Logic and Reason in conjunction with my main DAW. (Sonar or Presonus of late) I have found Sonar liked being the slave and it was Midi clock that worked the best. I am locking the the two DAW's via midi only. You could stripe one of the units with SMPTE genereated from the other but you need to get that track output separately in order to get that signal into the reader mode. Last resort. You should be able to sync them via Midi. Both types of sync will chase lock as well. Midi clock is usually accompanied with SPP (Song Popsition Pointer) The idea is to only operate one transport and the other should obey and chase.

But with other combinations of things I found Sonar liked being the master and it was MTC that worked the best. Both devices will have options for sending or not sending these clock signals and you have to find them in their respective midi options settings. There should be no reason why these two devices will not lock and work fine together. I have synced two computers and also a computer and things like the Tascam and Yamaha AW1600 etc.

Sample clocks come into play when you are mixing the signal from one DAW digitally into the other then you also have to take that into account and make one slave to the other for the least problems with sample clocks not being in sync. Good luck. It can be a bit of a nightmare but when you get it to work it is also fun. I can get two ADAT's to lock now to Sonar as well or the other DAW. Took a while to get that working but handy for an extra 16 tracks when ever needed on tap.

In the end I found I was not locking one DAW to the other so much but rather just using Sonar to do all the midi sequencing in my case, and just using the other DAW as a synth rack in Reason for example. If you do employ two systems like this it also means that backing up becomes more complex.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/01/10 14:45:09

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1