SOLVED- Sonar Vstudio100- External effects processing setup

Author
blue555
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2014/08/21 15:32:41 (permalink)

SOLVED- Sonar Vstudio100- External effects processing setup

Hi,
I'm in the process of buying multi effect. I would like to use it as an external effect. I allready have an audio interface (Roland VS-100) that I would like to keep on using as primary interface also I would prefer to keep on using the ASIO model.

Untill now I've been using (light version) VST rigs. To lighten the CPU load and to get great quality effects&amp simulation, I thought the solution would be one of these units:

Line6 POD HD500x
Boss GT-001

But how would this work, how to set it up? I would like to record the dry signal  and be able to monitor (via Sonar)  the wet signal.
Additionally I would like to playback the dry tracks with the wet signal as output to the main mix. So basicly the same workflow as with VST effects.

Any advice on which unit would be better suited for this purpose?
But MORE IMPORTANTLY, how do I hook it up and configure it in Sonar?
Thx

post edited by blue555 - 2014/08/24 12:46:29

5 Replies Related Threads

bz2838
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Sonar Vstudio100- Extrernal effects processing setup 2014/08/21 16:24:39 (permalink)
    I've been looking at the waves sound grid studio system, http://www.waves.com/soundgrid-studio-system

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
    blue555
    Re: Sonar Vstudio100- Extrernal effects processing setup 2014/08/21 16:54:12 (permalink)
    Thx Interesting gear but way out of my league financially.

My situ:

Simple homestudio running SonarVStudio100.
    My pc is OLD, untill know I've been using light versions of VST rigs (NA Guitar Rig) to record my guitars and bass. I like the IKMedia one and would buy it except that my OLD little mule cannot take the processing load, that's why I'm turning to external FX processing. Also should mention that I record with headphones. No real amps around. And I don't have thousands of escudos to spend! ;-) 
    Additionally I might get back to gigging at some point and think that especially the "Line6 pod 500x" would come in handy.

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Sonar Vstudio100- Extrernal effects processing setup 2014/08/22 12:22:30 (permalink)
    Untill now I've been using (light version) VST rigs. To lighten the CPU load and to get great quality effects&amp simulation, I thought the solution would be one of these units:

Line6 POD HD500x
    Boss GT-001

But how would this work, how to set it up? I would like to record the dry signal and be able to monitor (via Sonar) the wet signal.
    Additionally I would like to playback the dry tracks with the wet signal as output to the main mix. So basicly the same workflow as with VST effects.

You would use the Re-amping Technique. 
    to play back the dry track with the wet tracks, just bus the track to a bus with no effects and adjust the send level to where you want it, so its mixed with the reamping signal to the way you want it to  sound and send that to the master as well. 

Would i ever recommend this to someone, Hell No!!! Its a messy way to work.

If your PC cannot handle your plugins, you need to upgrade your PC. I can have 100 tracks and 200 plugin effects in one project and it can playback with no glitches..

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    blue555
    Re: Sonar Vstudio100- Extrernal effects processing setup 2014/08/24 12:51:40 (permalink)
    I agree, but I haven't the money to buy, a pc AND a full version of the VST software. I didn't buy the full vesrion software because my pc is to old.

I found a different solution. I do like the VST effects/amp sims, but I don't like to buy costly software that at some point isn't going to work anymore. That's why I like hardware, it's more durable and portable(gigging).

I think I'm going with the Line 6 Pod HD500x, amps seem to be better.

I'll route it as an external FX, either through jacks or via jack in + spdif out. It's a shame that the Pod HD doesn't have spdif in. The rack version has that, but it costs significantly more and doesn't have any added functionality. Less actually, no pedals. It has more ins and outs but I don't use the audio interface part. I'm quite happy with my VS100+Octacapture on ASIO. For the External FX plugin I do need to upgrade to Sonar Studio. 
    tobey4
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Sonar Vstudio100- Extrernal effects processing setup 2015/10/16 08:45:24 (permalink)
    Try this:
    simply copy your dry track to a new track.
    Then add fx to that new track. Then you will have both a dry version and one with fx on it.  Then balance out the levels to you liking. Playing with the balance between the two is a nice way to blend the 2.

Sonar 8.5 Studio,pc: 2.4 ghz Intel Dual core Proc, 4g RAM,
    Win 7 Pro, Mia MIDI Sound Card, Main Mic: EV RE6, Toontrack Superior 2, Fender Strat, Fender PBass, Johnson Dobro and mandolin, Tak 6 string acoustic,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1