Helpful ReplyLockedSonar, Windows, and other DAW's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
2017/11/23 12:47:23 (permalink)

Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's

I have been reading here that a lot of people are ready to just jump ship now, even though Sonar still works great. I can see using it for a good while before any issues come up, such as Windows updates eventually having compatibility issues. So, is it more of a screw you Gibson or mainly a get used to something new now instead of later?

Does the current and apparently final version is Sonar Platinum still function properly on Windows 7?

I keep my studio machine connected so I can easily update plugins and other apps.. So, if a Windows update does screw it up just installing Win7 should get it working again, right?

I hate change to the point it makes me cringe thinking about learning a new DAW. I did check out Studio One and it was ok, but not great. So, if you guys had the option between Studio One or ProTools which way would you go an why? I ask because I'm kind of planning way ahead. I imagine that drivers and hardware will eventually be incompatible with Win7 so the need to change will eventually be mandatory.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2017/11/23 13:31:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby user4325874 2017/11/23 14:55:16
Sonar Platinum still works fine on Win7. The problem is, no one knows for how long it will work before switching to demo mode if the servers go offline. I'd rather spend time preparing now than be surprised...

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
raweber
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2017/11/23 13:42:25 (permalink)
I've only ever used Sonar on my own computer, but here are some thoughts based on feedback I've gotten from other users:

Several people I know and respect have abandoned Pro Tools for either Studio One or Reaper and never looked back. Reaper is the more stripped-down option, but super stable and very frequently updated - very responsive to user comments. I get the impression that S1 is not all about extra features, either, so see what comes with the basic platform.

However, if I were starting over I would look very seriously at Cubase and especially at Digital Performer now that it's available for PC. Every interaction I've had with a DP user I've been very impressed.

I wouldn't mess with Pro Tools unless you have to, which I'm guessing you don't since you aren't using it right now. With Avid I trust their future only slightly more than I trust Sonar's. I also would steer clear of any of the "smaller" DAWs (Bitwig, etc.) unless you are tied in with some existing users you want to interact with (collaboration with a friend being the reason I went with Sonar in the first place). I know that Mixbus has a rabid following and the newest version seems to cover many of the bases for creating and mixing music (older versions were really only good for mixing).

My recommendation is to keep using Sonar for a while and take a close look at the options. At a base level they will all record, edit and mix audio and MIDI. What sets many of them apart is the extras that come with them (something Sonar excelled at) so that is what I would analyze most closely. I'm not gong to make a jump unless Sonar becomes unworkable on my computer (I have heard tales of a-list mixers in Nashville and LA that are still using Pro Tools 6 because it works for them). When I do jump I'm going to try and make it a clean break and not transfer projects between the two platforms.

Rob Weber
Poser Composer
Music Prodution Blog: Notes from the Shore
Free Praise Music: All Things New Ministries
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2017/11/23 13:47:28 (permalink)
I did reinstall windows this weekend and installed Cakewalk Sonar fresh on it. There was some bugs now. Volume of tracks change without changing the faders is one. In one project a Dimension Pro track peaked out even tho I had not changed anything on the track. Is - 5 on the volum slider. Gain is at 0. So I can't use Sonar now without tech help.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2017/11/23 13:51:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby user4325874 2017/11/23 14:54:49
Personally I'm ok with it working - or being able to work until windows 21 (or whatever) comes out. 

My big issue is the authorization.  THAT has to be figured out we are not dependent on "Gibson" for authorization. PERIOD.  They have zero respect to just "trust" them.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2017/11/23 13:57:27 (permalink)
In our special case we have SONAR misused to digitize thousends tapes and vinyl.
So we will continiue to work with SONAR until we find a new DAW that can be also misused for such work.
We need very special functions and we will check Cubase as soon there is a trial for the new version 9.5. We have ProTools and Studio One sorted out. They are great DAWs - but not for our work.
But we only change from SONAR when an other DAW is significant better for our very special workflow.
If the authorization server is down - there are cracks for the latest version. I have paid for a few licences of livetime.
In the worst case we have - in the year 2027 - to use a ten year old DAW to digitize tapes from 1964.
But I hope that Cakewalk is born again.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
BruceSearl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/18 00:35:29 (permalink)
I'm just not into supporting the Avid lifestyle at high rolling monthly or yearly fees. I honestly don't mind a reasonable yearly update cost. I'm not big on... pay us every month to keep your software working models.

so with a new year starting and by friend Sonar having been put 6' under, I'm thinking I'll take advantage of Studio One Pro's cross grade sale at sweetwater for $199 and at least have a head start on moving forward this year.

I've got three projects that I need to finish in Sonar. And believe me, I'll miss some of it's great features, but it seems like using it until it gets broken by a windows update (like happened with streaming software and webcams when the windows 10 Valentines day update game my live stream setup the kiss of death with OBS ;-) is just asking to be more frustrated than I am now.

Gibson has had pleanty of time to come out and say, Hey, we are open to selling the code base or gifting it to the community for anyone that wants to pick it up and take it someplace... but all we get is silence. I think that ship has sailed. And, even though I requested a partial refund of my "swindleishious" Lifetime Updates Platinum version... I'm not expecting them to do the honorable thing. And there will be no one there to put out an emergency patch to fix a suddenly non-functional DAW that is officially dead. I hate that but it's where we are at. So I have to have a forward looking plan.

Studio One Pro looks like a decent current platform, they are young, hungry, and aiming high, plus they interlock with overlapping hardware products with might well be a good thing. They also seem to like to make things simple and easy and clean. From what I've read, they have created a blend of some of the best features of their competitors and have been moving fast to keep improving.

I'll give them a try.

Best of luck you to and best of luck to us all! ;-)
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/18 01:53:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/18 01:56:04
I don't think it's a situation where you have to stop using Sonar and start using something else. It may seem daunting to learn a new DAW, and it is, but you already know how to use a DAW if you use Sonar. A different DAW will have other features and lack some features, but there will be more similarities than differences.

Sonar won't die tomorrow and probably not for quite some time. So keep using Sonar, but start playing around with another DAW that interests you. Over time you may be surprised that it's not that difficult to be fluent with two DAWs.

I chose Studio One because I've been using Studio One's Project Page functionality for years, and know the Song functionality reasonably well. I also wanted a cross-platform program because I have a MacBook Pro for travelling. So if Cakewalk gets bought and Sonar survives, great - but I'll also be fluent with Studio One and when I start a project, I'll decide which one will be best for the task at hand.

It's like an instrument. My primary instrument is guitar, but I also play keyboards. Most of my songs are born on guitar, but many are born on keyboards. Knowing how to play both has benefited me far more than simply being proficient on one or the other.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/18 02:00:24 (permalink)
If everybody just stopped and read the last post by Craig, I'm sure it would cut down on the 1001+ posts here about what everybody is switching to.

Don't panic, learn another DAW (you might learn a thing or two), and be ready if necessary...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/18 10:08:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/18 11:03:36
In my case it's more a matter of, hey, this ship seems to be, well ok not already sinking but rudderless and heading into uncertain waters, so it felt like a good time to look at some options. Not in a panicky way, I have generally had a great time with Sonar and will probably keep using it for a while at least while learning something else, but just to see where other platforms were at these days.

I checked out most alternatives to some extent, and found that while Studio One had a lot going for it, snappy and responsive and well designed, it was Reaper that felt the best to me personally. I'd always liked the whole concept and ethos behind it, but hadn't looked at it for a while and remembered it as being not quite ready for prime time compared to Sonar, but frankly that has changed. I'm not sure why it would be seen as the 'more stripped down option' as someone suggested above, it's actually insanely deep at this point and with all the community add-ons, very powerful indeed.

I was having a spot of trouble with Sonar for a couple of days there - not its fault really, but it gave me some trouble around an Arturia update that, in comparison, didn't make Reaper flinch, so I did a couple of tracks in Reaper just to get the feel of it, and realized... yeah, this is where I want to be going forward. It's just a good fit for me. Probably better overall than Sonar, if I'm honest.

I would likely not have come to that realization if it weren't for this CW debacle. I have nothing particularly against Gibson; I do think this whole thing is unfortunate and a terrible waste, but I'm not in a position to assign blame over it (that hasn't stopped a lot of people here from doing just that, mind you). I just know that I've found my way forward, and am more interested in getting on with making music than ruminating on what went wrong here.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 01:32:10 (permalink)
Anderton
I don't think it's a situation where you have to stop using Sonar and start using something else. It may seem daunting to learn a new DAW, and it is, but you already know how to use a DAW if you use Sonar. A different DAW will have other features and lack some features, but there will be more similarities than differences.

Sonar won't die tomorrow and probably not for quite some time. So keep using Sonar, but start playing around with another DAW that interests you. Over time you may be surprised that it's not that difficult to be fluent with two DAWs.

I chose Studio One because I've been using Studio One's Project Page functionality for years, and know the Song functionality reasonably well. I also wanted a cross-platform program because I have a MacBook Pro for travelling. So if Cakewalk gets bought and Sonar survives, great - but I'll also be fluent with Studio One and when I start a project, I'll decide which one will be best for the task at hand.

It's like an instrument. My primary instrument is guitar, but I also play keyboards. Most of my songs are born on guitar, but many are born on keyboards. Knowing how to play both has benefited me far more than simply being proficient on one or the other.

I went to Studio One, of course very unhappily.

The last thing I wanted was to change DAWs, after 30 years of Cakewalk.

But I can tell you Studio One has a fresh feel to it. Not everything happens the way I want, but it is fast and reliable. You can set your latency to be very low and it works without weird problems. It is stable and fast.

My old projects might be toast but the new ones on Studio One will be new adventures that I expect will be very good.

I just hope Gibson does not buy Presonus

Cakewalk user since DOS3. Currently Platinum on a ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 USB 3.1, i4790 3.6, 16 gigs memory, Windows 10 64, RME UCX using firewire.
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 02:01:55 (permalink)
"Don't panic" gets mentioned every five minutes.

I want to know who is panicking? I'm not I'm just annoyed esp when the writing on the wall was obvious, but have accepted and moved on to another DAW for new projects. Sonar is around for old projects and fact is that almost everything that isn't available in Studio One but is in Sonar can easily be worked around for my needs, often by using other third party solutions... and it's just so much better. It's not much really that's different.

People are running around saying Gibson/Cakewalk is going to do something to make sure products will be activated as per FAQ, but we don't exactly know what it is or what the specific products are. All we have is conjecture and assumptions and no official statement.

Also those who have read up about Gibson's current financial situation may also be worried that if it goes down the carpet may be pulled under everybody's feet... so don't panic then.
texasaurus rex
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 02:48:46 (permalink)
Still do the abrupt wake up at 4am, random concerns, the usual worries...world coming to an end and all,etc. Cakewalk/SONAR "demise" still in the bad dreams mix, even though it opens and works just fine. It's not a panic,but it's a reality.  So we purchased Samplitude Pro X3, already have S1 3.5. Yet, we totally prefer Sonar and will use it with much fun and glee,until.... ? It's such a Dam# It! moment..
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 05:12:58 (permalink)
pharohoknaughty
I just hope Gibson does not buy Presonus

Gibson can't afford to buy Presonus.
They are not interested in them either. Consumer electronics seems to be where they are headed. 
Maybe they should have just stuck to making guitars.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 05:58:29 (permalink)
I know this sounds awful, but I'm almost grateful for what happened (I should imagine Cakewalk employees don't feel the same way) - if it didn't happen, I would still be plodding along with Sonar and all of its problems hoping for fixes that probably weren't coming, thinking that "jumping ship" was a pipe dream, that I would never take the time to learn another DAW. I'm still using Sonar to finish old projects although I honestly don't know if I'll get all of them done given how problematic, buggy and unstable Sonar is for me. But test driving Bitwig has made me realize just how much greener the grass is in many ways, and it's been a treat to mess with a fresh young DAW that's been built on brand new code & design from the ground up, paying attention to the shortcomings and mistakes of DAWs gone by. There's loads of stuff in newer DAWs like Bitwig that will make you think wow, Sonar could never have done this without an extensive rewrite and design rethink. 

I used to listen to people talk about using multiple DAWs on this forum and think, why bother? Surely that's more trouble than its worth. But having test driven Bitwig and to some extent Reaper, I now understand that. They really do have their individual strengths and no one DAW is a jack of all trades. At one time I demoed Studio One and was really impressed with how well designed and snappy it is, and I would have gone with it now like so many other people here but I was just so intrigued by the futuristic design of Bitwig. If I had more spare cash lying around I probably would have gone with S1 as a sort of backup/"normal" DAW to compliment Bitwig, but I'll probably save the $$$'s and use Reaper for that instead. We just ought to be thankful there are so many choices these days. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 06:26:33 (permalink)
I had a play with Harrison Mixbus, Reaper and both didn't appeal to me. I was going to try Studio 1 but settled on Samplitude Pro X3 and was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm kind of bit by bit getting around it but I keep coming back to Sonar. I can just 'fly' around it without thinking much...it's just so intuitive after many years of learning about, tutorials, reading about ideas and issues on this forum...but now SPX3 is kinda slowing down the creation/experimentation time as I've got to stop and figure out where 'x' thingie is that I want to manipulate, change, modify etc. I'm afraid I'm addicted to Sonar and unless I commit to SPX3, it'll take a loooong time to figure it out to the same degree as Sonar. But as Sharke said, it's cool to check out what a different DAW can do in relations to Sonar, which I've only used for years. I've been spoiled  by it though. 

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 07:51:21 (permalink)
I'm transitioning to Cubase Pro 9.5.  I see a lot of people going for Studio One, but if you want to know why that wasn't even close to an option for me, Google "Presonus groundbreaking ceremony Louisiana" (images) and you will see my answer.

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 07:57:57 (permalink)
SF_Green
I'm transitioning to Cubase Pro 9.5.  I see a lot of people going for Studio One, but if you want to know why that wasn't even close to an option for me, Google "Presonus groundbreaking ceremony Louisiana" (images) and you will see my answer.

Its got nothing to do with how great a DAW it is though

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 08:06:44 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
SF_Green

No, but it has everything to do with who I am willing to give my money to.

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 09:38:06 (permalink)
Bflat5

get used to something new now instead of later?

Just that really. Still using Sonar, and gently learning Studio One in between.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 10:28:31 (permalink)
SF_Green
Jeff Evans
SF_Green

i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be seeing there?

just a sec

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 12:31:28 (permalink)
Googled. Just saw men in suits.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 16:16:04 (permalink)
I'm guessing it's because they were photographed with a Republican. Personally I couldn't care less if the developers of my DAW take a photo opportunity with a politician I disagree with. He is the governor of Louisiana after all, love him or hate him. Until my dreams of a libertarian wonderland bear fruit, businesses are always going to have to bite their tongues and suck up to government figures 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 16:56:56 (permalink)
SF_Green

Huh?  Don't get it...looks like a healthy growing company with a good product that is employing people and contributing to the local economy.  Unlike Gibson, etc.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
PhilW
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 17:27:59 (permalink)
sharke
I know this sounds awful, but I'm almost grateful for what happened (I should imagine Cakewalk employees don't feel the same way) - if it didn't happen, I would still be plodding along with Sonar and all of its problems hoping for fixes that probably weren't coming, thinking that "jumping ship" was a pipe dream, that I would never take the time to learn another DAW. I'm still using Sonar to finish old projects although I honestly don't know if I'll get all of them done given how problematic, buggy and unstable Sonar is for me. But test driving Bitwig has made me realize just how much greener the grass is in many ways, and it's been a treat to mess with a fresh young DAW that's been built on brand new code & design from the ground up, paying attention to the shortcomings and mistakes of DAWs gone by. There's loads of stuff in newer DAWs like Bitwig that will make you think wow, Sonar could never have done this without an extensive rewrite and design rethink. 

I used to listen to people talk about using multiple DAWs on this forum and think, why bother? Surely that's more trouble than its worth. But having test driven Bitwig and to some extent Reaper, I now understand that. They really do have their individual strengths and no one DAW is a jack of all trades. At one time I demoed Studio One and was really impressed with how well designed and snappy it is, and I would have gone with it now like so many other people here but I was just so intrigued by the futuristic design of Bitwig. If I had more spare cash lying around I probably would have gone with S1 as a sort of backup/"normal" DAW to compliment Bitwig, but I'll probably save the $$$'s and use Reaper for that instead. We just ought to be thankful there are so many choices these days. 

I admit to the same heresy. One simple example: of all the software I’ve run on multiple computers for many years, Sonar is the only one that routinely causes a complete crash, BSOD. I switched to Reaper a couple of years ago because of that, and it’s reliabilty has been a breath of fresh air. I’m almost relieved that now I am better off migrating everything to Reaper, although sad to be saying farewell to Sonar after 15 years.
TPayton
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 19:36:46 (permalink)
SF_Green
Jeff Evans
SF_Green

Looked at the groundbreaking photos. Don't get it, all I saw was a bunch of guys with shovels. Looked very similar to most other groundbreaking ceremony photos I have seen.  ???  I see you're from San Fran, is this possibly a racial or political thing?

Tom
TPayton
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 20:09:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bdickens 2018/01/22 02:11:03
sharke
I'm guessing it's because they were photographed with a Republican. 

Oh..... You're probably right sharke, I am just not conditioned to think that way. I associate freely with people of many differing viewpoints, but unfortunately I see more and more of this kind of thinking all the time.  I would find it exhausting to subject all of my purchasing decisions to a political litmus test.  But as they say, it's a free country, and I certainly support SF_Green's right to do so if that is his/her pleasure.  Mellow greetings and be well citizens.

Tom
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/21 23:23:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bdickens 2018/01/22 02:35:17
Presonus mixing with Republicans...?
Ok I'm selling up immediately!!

(Just as soon as I get this song down and they make me pay their taxes).
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/22 02:23:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bflat5 2018/01/22 13:52:37
TPayton
sharke
I'm guessing it's because they were photographed with a Republican. 

Oh..... You're probably right sharke, I am just not conditioned to think that way. I associate freely with people of many differing viewpoints, but unfortunately I see more and more of this kind of thinking all the time.  I would find it exhausting to subject all of my purchasing decisions to a political litmus test.  But as they say, it's a free country, and I certainly support SF_Green's right to do so if that is his/her pleasure.  Mellow greetings and be well citizens.

Yeah. It's a shame, isn't it, that some people are so blinded - so unhinged - by their hatred that they won't even acknowledge it when someone on the "other side" says or does something nice. Some of them would get pissed off and turn the money down if Donald Trump offered to pay for 100% of his wife's cancer treatment.

Byron Dickens
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar, Windows, and other DAW's 2018/01/22 02:29:45 (permalink)
SF_Green

PreSonus is looked upon with great favor in Baton Rouge because they contribute a lot to the local economy and civic activities. I'm not surprised the state's Governor would show up at a groundbreaking ceremony. It think the implication is that Jindal supports PreSonus, not necessarily that PreSonus supports Jindal.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1