Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit

Author
gearandguitars
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2013/09/04 02:34:56 (permalink)

Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit

I'm getting pops/clicks when I used 32bit plugins. My whole system is 64bit native and I'm not getting any issues with 64bit plugins. How strict is the need to have plugin directories specified 64bit or 32bit? Should I re-organize all of my plug in directories? 

4 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit 2013/09/04 03:29:09 (permalink)
    The search path is just a string of places for it to look for the target of the search.  I keep my 32-bit plugins separate from my 64-bit plugins because I do not want to have 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Sonar, as a rule.  The select few that I allow to be present are placed in a dedicated folder that is made available to both my 32-bit Sonar install and my 64-bit Sonar install as well.

If you are having noises, such as pops and crackles and such, that is a different matter.  You may have to increase your latency a tad to make them go away, and it is also possible that the nature of plugins that you have loaded into your projects may also be introducing some extra problems, such as plugins that are either CPU-intensive or that use look-ahead processing.

You may need to go through the process of isolating which one or more of the plugins is causing these problems, and see what the nature of that plugin is - possibly swapping out for a different one.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gearandguitars
    Re: Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit 2013/09/09 01:11:46 (permalink)
    I'm confused by this, sorry. Can I just move the existing plugin folders to new locations? That didn't seem to work out so well today. Attached is my PlugIns directory scan from within the Sonar X2, VST's menu. 

Below is the default directory installations for my 32-Bit (x86) and 64-Bit plug in installations. I'm contemplating attempting to re-organize these into two master folders. 

VST (32-Bit)
    VST (64-Bit)

Some have suggested four master folders as follows: 

VST EFX 32
    VST INST 32

VST EFX 64
    VST INST 64

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit 2013/09/09 08:39:15 (permalink)
    I don't have anywhere NEAR the number of folders specified as you do.

Sonar will 'see' the sub-folders, so if you specify C:\\Program Files (x86)\VST Plugins, in your path for the Plug-in Manager, Sonar will find all of the plugins that live in any sub-folder underneath the VST Plugins folder.

On MY system, I have a 32-bit Sonar installed, as well as a 64-bit version installed.  I almost always work in the 64-bit Sonar, but do sometimes work in the 32-bit Sonar if I am going to use a lot of 32-bit plugins for a given project.

My 32-bit plugin folder structure is set up in a main folder:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\VST Plugins

The above folder is where I place all 3rd-party 32-bit plugins that are not part of an installation process, such as ones I download directly (MinimogueVA, etc).  I also sometimes set up multiple sub-folders within the above folder, if a plugin has other associated files or documents, so I have things like:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\VST Plugins\JXPlugins, and that plugin's multiple files all live there.

The other thing I do for my 32-bit plugins is decide which ones I want my 64-bit Sonar installation to 'see'.  Those all still live in the 32-bit VST Plugins folder, BUT I move those plugins into another SUB-folder, called:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\VST Plugins\Shared (will explain further down)

I also own soft synth collections, such as Komplete 8 Ultimate, and it has its own installation process, and for that I let it add its 32-bit plugins to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins folder, and they all go there.  I do the same for any other 32-bit plugins that get put on my PC through an actual installation program.

BUT, I do not need to specify all of the sub-folders in the paths in either Sonar 32/64).  The plugin path for my 64-bit Sonar is simply:

c:\\program files\cakewalk\shared utilities\internal
    c:\\program files (x86)\vst plugins\shared
    c:\\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins

That's IT for the 64-bit Sonar's search path for plugins.  Again, Sonar will find any plugin within any folder that is subordinate to a listed parent folder, so any folder within the 'shared' folder is searched, and all 32-bit plugins in any folder that is under the 'shared' folder will be found.  All of my plugins for Komplete 8 Ultimate are found within the vstplugins folder specified above.

In my 32-bit Sonar, the simple inclusion of the c:\\program files (x86)\vst plugins path pulls in not only the 32-bit plugins that are not seen by the 64-bit Sonar, but also all of the 
    shared' ones, because all of the shared ones live in a folder that is contained within (subordinate to) the VST Plugins folder.

I don't know if any of the above helps or hurts - I looked more closely at the list of folders you have specified, and you have installed a bunch of things in a bunch of places.  I approached my installations a bit differently, as explained above, and for me, my plugin paths are quite simple.  

They are that way for me partly due to choices made in altering installation paths for some things, and partly because of setting things up to take advantage of the way Sonar looks at folders within folders as it is searching.

For your paths, you could simplify it a bit by listing parent folders where possible, as Sonar finds the ones underneath anyway.  So, if you have the following paths listed:

c:\\program files (x86)\steinberg\vstplugins\e-mu
    c:\\program files (x86)\steinberg\vstplugins\flux
    c:\\program files (x86)\steinberg\vstplugins\soundtoys

You only had to specify:

c:\\program files (x86)\steinberg\vstplugins\

And Sonar would still find the plugins found within the flux, soundtoys, and e-mu folders underneath the steinberg folder.

Bob Bone

post edited by robert_e_bone - 2013/09/09 08:52:04

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gearandguitars
    Re: Sonar X2 Pro : Plugins Management 32bit/64bit 2013/09/10 20:38:07 (permalink)
    thanks bob, let me let that much sink in. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1