Sonar X2 System requirements ?

Author
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2012/08/23 10:30:30 (permalink)

Sonar X2 System requirements ?

First of all, my condolences on the demise of Billy (ba_midi). Didnt know him personally but have read a lot of posts from him and did realize that he was a very senior and major contributor to the forum. God give courage to his family and friends to bear the loss. Sad he didnt live to see the launch of X2, he would have been quite excited about it and we will miss his feedback on the new upgrade.

My question : Are the minimum and recommended system requirements for Sonar X2 (all versions) up anywhere on the Cakewalk site, any blog, etc? I searched quite a bit but I guess may have missed it somewhere? Need to know whether Sonar will continue to run on 32-bit machines as usual just like X1 does.

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:40:29 (permalink)
    Need to know whether Sonar will continue to run on 32-bit machines as usual just like X1 does

Ofcource it will still run on 32bit pc's. I dont speak form knowing, BUT, It would be suicide if they alienated every 32bit PC. Why not just close the company.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:44:05 (permalink)
    I know they are not officially supporting XP or Vista anymore
    http://www.cakewalk.com/page.aspx/Free-SONAR-X2-upgrade
    ramscapri
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:52:17 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Cjays and Daryl but....
    hey thats disappointing !!

I have a Vista SP2 32-bit machine which runs X1 quite well and thought X2 should run as well for a start.

Now I can understand removal of support for XP but Vista...thats unfair. Vista isnt too old and I am sure there will be a lot of users who still run Vista machines with SP2 !

Is there some way to get this across to Cakewalk tech teams ?!
    Andrew Rossa
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1910
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:52:53 (permalink)
    SONAR X2 will support Windows 7 and 8 (32 and 64-bit). XP and Vista will no longer be officially supported. No major changes beyond that but we will post system requirements when we start selling SONAR X2.
    ramscapri
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:56:07 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Andrew.

But it will be more helpful if System requirements are published well in advance of selling Sonar X2.

For a start, the removal of support for Vista is shocking to say the least !

CJaysMusic
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 10:58:12 (permalink)
    FYI: just because its not supported doesnt mean it wont run on it. It just means they didnt test it on XP and Vista. 

Im pretty happy that they concentrated on Win 7 and Win 8 as this means they put all their time and effort into those 2 window sysytems and didn't screw around with the older versions :)  NICE!!!

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 11:05:40 (permalink)

But it will be more helpful if System requirements are published well in advance of selling Sonar X2.
    If your pc meets X1 requiremnts, it will more than likely meet X2, exept for the XP and Vista change.. 

If youy buy any PC with Win 7 or Win 8, you have nothing to worry about. You will meet the minimum requirements for sure
    If youy have a quad core or more, you have nada to wrooy about. If you have i3 or i7, you have nada to worry about.
    Ive came to this conclusion using common sence.

Audio Blog
    ramscapri
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 15:28:26 (permalink)

I get the point CJ.

I am fully for the latest, no doubt. All I am saying is that Vista is not too old, definitely not old as XP, particularly Vista SP2 which runs most of the latest software very well. I know that if I have the latest laptop with the best processor and the highest RAM and the latest OS and the largest number of cores, I would have no problem. But thats pretty obvious.

Question is : When I know that X2 could work quite well to the extent of my needs on my current laptop with Vista SP2 and when I am ready to put $99 to upgrade to X2, is it justified that I have to purchase a new laptop which could cost me $800 or more just because the latest upgrade does not support my OS AND is not tested on my OS ?

They didnt test it on Vista, why on earth ? The focus on Win 7 and 8 is really good, but testing on Vista and confirming compatibility would give comfort to current Vista users and could have been done anyway. Why was it not tested on Vista, 7 & 8, all at the same time ? 

As I understand, it may run on Vista nevertheless, but it is a risk for users if its not tested and confirmed and therefore a discouragement to Vista users to go for X2 rightaway. Though I wanted to be an early adopter.

Or am I the only Vista user around running Sonar X1 Producer Expanded ?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 15:42:01 (permalink)
    It is not the same but FWIW, I ran every version of SONAR through 8.5 on Windows XP SP1. Several versions were not supported but they ran fine just the same. Brandon already indicated that Vista (and even XP) should be OK (just not officially supported/tested) but if you are concerned about the ability of your hardware to run the next version wait until the demo is released and check it out.
    Tkrain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 20:58:16 (permalink)
    Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk
    ]

SONAR X2 will support Windows 7 and 8 (32 and 64-bit). XP and Vista will no longer be officially supported. No major changes beyond that but we will post system requirements when we start selling SONAR X2.

At least I know so I won't spend money I don't have to upgrade.  Shutting out Vista Users...  Brilliant.

Sonar X2 Studio | Music Creator 5/6 | Line6 PodXT Live | Fender Mustang I | Scarlet Focusrite 8i6 | HP Pavilion p6-2316 | HP Pavilion DV9800 | Squier Strat (by Fender) | Dean Electric | Rogue Accoustic (by Fender) | Yamaha DD55 Drum Machine | //http://soundcloud.com/brian-k-trotter | http://brianktrotter.bandcamp.com
    Tkrain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/23 21:02:11 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

FYI: just because its not supported doesnt mean it wont run on it. It just means they didnt test it on XP and Vista. 

Im pretty happy that they concentrated on Win 7 and Win 8 as this means they put all their time and effort into those 2 window sysytems and didn't screw around with the older versions :)  NICE!!!

Cj

I bought my system 2 years, 11 months ago... Windows 7 wasn't out yet.  Yeah, it's an aged system, but it's hardly obsolete, and I'm not happy at all they didn't put any effort into it, I'm insulted.  I'd been considering upgrading, but not anymore. 

Sonar X2 Studio | Music Creator 5/6 | Line6 PodXT Live | Fender Mustang I | Scarlet Focusrite 8i6 | HP Pavilion p6-2316 | HP Pavilion DV9800 | Squier Strat (by Fender) | Dean Electric | Rogue Accoustic (by Fender) | Yamaha DD55 Drum Machine | //http://soundcloud.com/brian-k-trotter | http://brianktrotter.bandcamp.com
    Mitch_I
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/24 20:42:11 (permalink)

I have a five-year-old music PC that's still working great:

Windows XP
    Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    2GB RAM
    lotsa disk space

I really want to keep using this machine. So what are my choices?

1. Upgrade XP to Windows 8? I doubt that Windows 8 will work well on a DAW with 2GB RAM.

2. Install Sonar X2 on it as is and hope for the best?

3. Continue using the machine as is without upgrading? I've bought every Cakewalk upgrade since the mid-90s.

Fortunately I don't need to decide very soon. I doubt that I'm the only person in this situation, so we'll see what others say.

BTW I had a look at requirements for Cubase. The Windows version supports only Win 7, and they require an Internet connection for license activation. One of the reasons my DAW is still doing great is that it's never seen the Internet. 

Mitch I.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/25 10:22:58 (permalink)
    BTW I had a look at requirements for Cubase. The Windows version supports only Win 7

I think that this is slowly becoming the norm and not the exception.   Doesn't NI already only support Win7?

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/25 10:32:46 (permalink)
    stevec

BTW I had a look at requirements for Cubase. The Windows version supports only Win 7

I think that this is slowly becoming the norm and not the exception.   Doesn't NI already only support Win7?

Yup, latest updates of Traktor are only supported on win7 .. and +1 to this being a rational industry trend.. I think consumers have very little idea to the huge support cost of validating software and proving every test criteria against a boat load of old o.s... essentially tripling the costs for that phase of development, not to mention the ongoing tech support costs maintaining multiple platforms simply to attempt to replicate user issues...

a good business decision by Cakewalk

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    MarkH
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Sonar X2 System requirements ? 2012/08/25 10:35:25 (permalink)
    I'm going to wait for the demo and decide. X1 isn't supported to run on my machine, but it does. I've borne in mind that I may not get full technical support, but in practice CW have always been happy to help. 

I understand the move away from officially supporting XP & Vista. Halving the amount of testing they have to do (especially for 10+ year old technology) frees up resources that could be used elsewhere.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1