Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA

Author
RajahP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
2012/08/16 16:24:50 (permalink)

Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA

Well don't look like it's going to happen... Could be nice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J8SFhoe10

13 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/16 16:49:21 (permalink)
    It was a bit short... ARA was made public only a couple of weeks ago, wasn't it.

I never use pitch correction, but I gave it a spin after I upgraded S1 yesterday. Man, it is impressive. I'm sure it'll make its way into Sonar eventually. :)

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/16 16:53:54 (permalink)
    Nice...........
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/16 18:30:03 (permalink)
    Unless ARA has significant functional improvements I'm perfectly happy with Melodyne as a VST and Standalone. That's not to say that I won't welcome SONAR ARA integration but even then I'd not expect Melodyne itself to be included in the price of SONAR unless there was an even "lighter" version of Essentials that Cakewalk licenses. JMO. 
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/16 19:33:56 (permalink)
    I agree Bapu, I'm very happy with Melodyne as a VST. But the ARA thing
    is seriously sexy! And it makes the whole Melodyne affair a lot less messy. 

I'd like to see ARA in Sonar - but I'm not switching to S1 if it won't be added to Sonar.

My 2€

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/16 20:55:39 (permalink)
    It was a bit short... ARA was made public only a couple of weeks ago, wasn't it.

Yup...  I can't see how they could possibly implement something as "hooked in" as ARA at this point.  I'd imagine X2 is way too far along for that.

Using Melodyne in S1 via ARA is slick, and works well.  So I'd love to see it in SONAR too.  But I'm happy using this current combination until whenever SONAR has this ability.  IMHO and YMMV as always.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 08:55:49 (permalink)
    ProjectM

I agree Bapu, I'm very happy with Melodyne as a VST. But the ARA thing
    is seriously sexy! And it makes the whole Melodyne affair a lot less messy. 

I'd like to see ARA in Sonar - but I'm not switching to S1 if it won't be added to Sonar.

My 2€

I'm also of the same mind - but I did go over to that S1-Melodyne link and watch that very impressive video.  I have a question for any of you that have used Melodyne as a VST -   when used as a VST, (or in any other mode far as that goes), does it give you the capability to hear the surrounding mix WHILE editing the vox track?    Or is this what the ARA thing is all about that's new?    I'm a long-time Melodyne UNO user, I simply copy the vox wave out to my desktop, edit it, copy it back in, and preview the mix again -  but sometimes you can get the vox off pitch because you aren't able to hear the mix while editing.   Can anyone tell me if there's an option already in some other version of Melodyne, to use it in this way?   

The S1 seems really impressive with features, and they even make it cost-effective to trade over from X1... but I went so far as to study screens in several demo downloads, and it was too much for me, to even consider learning another interface after finally getting comfortable with Sonar X1 PE.  So I also, have no plans to move to S1 even if X2 doesn't meet the same features as with Melodyne.   

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 09:25:57 (permalink)
    Hey John!

Yes, when Melodyne is either inserted into the FX bin as a VST or ReWired into Sonar you will hear everything else when pressing play so you can edit your vocals in context with the rest of the music. But you will have to transfer the audio into Melodyne when inserted. When using the VST this is very easy in Melodyne as you just press play and record straight into Melodyne. When playing back these parts, Melodyne mutes the original signal and play back the processed signal in stead.

ARA just makes this a less messy operation. All audio is contained in the same project file and it integrates into S1's GUI instead of being a floating window.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    JD1813
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 11:25:19 (permalink)
    Marius, thanks for the perspective!  I can see how the integrated functionality in S1 has got to be really nice.  On the other hand, if I just upgrade my ancient Melodyne and use it as a VST, I can resolve the only real issue I have ever had with pitch correction.  Can you tell me if the Editor edition is what it takes to operate in VST mode, or is it one of the higher-end Melodyne that I would need?  Which do you use?  And who knows what CW may be planning for X2 and Melodyne, probably not right away but maybe X2-d or something?  Sure would be nice to marry the two awesome products together as S1 seems to have done.  

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 11:50:47 (permalink)
    Thre are a few things about Melodyne that could be integrated better.

1-The way Melodyne scrolls or doesn't.  Example: your project Now time can be 3:01:01 and when you open Melodyne, it may be at 45:03:15 or whatever.  You can't scroll Melodyne to the right place with the scroll wheel on the console: you have to drag the scroll bar in Melodyne separately from the project.
    2-Bouncing.  You have to bounce the whole track.  It would be good to have an option to bounce invidividual clips or sections, and then be able to drag-copy the bounced versions.
    3-Syncing.  Melodyne can get out of sync with the overall project.  This is hard to fix once it happens.
    4-Playing Melodyne alone.  Double-clicking in Melodyne will play the audio solo, but only if you have hit play in Sonar sometime since Melodyne has been opened.  The Stop button in Sonar may or may not stop Melodyne.  When it plays alone, of course, the Now time in Sonar does not advance.
    JD1813
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 12:03:16 (permalink)
    Bill, are you using Melodyne in a VST mode or stand alone?  I have had some of these items happen (especially #1, lack of scrolling even in its own stand-alone window).   And yep, I just get used to dragging the scroll bar at the bottom, to get the area I want to edit or preview.
    Bouncing a clip or section would sure be nice - I hope that's an option at least in some near-future upgrade.  I have to say I've never had any synch problem working in the stand-alone mode that I do, so far.  That would tend to ruin one's day and I imagine it would mean reverting and restart the edit from scratch. 
    Thanks for the points, good to keep in mind!
    John

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 12:20:23 (permalink)
    Would that it were so...but I don't think that the ol parent company would like having Melodyne stomping the beejeesus out of V-Vocal inside Sonar on a daily basis.  Or would they?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re:Sonar X2 and Melodyne ARA 2012/08/22 14:14:24 (permalink)
    JD1813, I have never used Melodyne stand-alone--always as a VST plug-in.  I may try it standalone sometime to see how I like it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1