Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
creynolds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
2013/08/19 17:04:04 (permalink)

Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off?

It's been a while since I graced the shiny boards of the Cakewalk manor forums. I expected to find patches galore for X2 and the see early teasings of a fine new release features titillating the faithful.

But no.

Frankly, it's all a bit drab round here. A bit like a south London pub after a bit of a nasty punch-up. The regulars have sloped off to some nicer boozer where the ale is quite not so good, but here they change the barrels and clean the pipes a bit more frequently and at least you can get on the pool table during the weekdays.

Nothing doing here at all. Some newbie who can't hear anything, another asking if some ancient Tascam surface is supported. It really is a bit . . . well dire really.

Have the wheels finally come off? Is the party over? Now Brandon and the boys have flown the nest do I detect a bit of a dead vacuum here?

I've been trying to master Pro tools 11 as a safeguard for the future. It would be OK if i would run with my Roland Quad Capture, but it just doesn't. No AAX 64 bit plugin support from Waves or Native Instruments yet so its a complete non starter anyway (pun intended).

Pro-tools 10 is OK, but I really like using all of my 16Gigs of ram and frankly I quite resent running 32 bit apps on by nice 64bit i7.

Tried Studio one for bit but it felt like a bit of a toy. Even shelled out for the Harrison Mixbuss which was great until you notice it crashes a lot and as yet, has no midi recording or VSTi support, so its sort of tape deck and a rather nice (if cramped) mixer. Reaper feels like a bit of a geeks club project and Cubase I just couldn't face learning.

Therefore it just might be a really good time to release Sonar X3.

Or maybe not X3. . . . . .

Just maybe it would be a good idea to bite the bullet and try an altogether new approach. The X series is probably fine under the hood, but the cosmetics are a bit clunky. Mixer way too big and wasteful. Main clips window wasteful in layout. Also if you really want touch control you gonna need longer faders and a way to see the fader underneath them pudgy fingers. Pro channel for god's sake why? I use the plugins I want on a 'need to use basis' I don't need a mixer that folds out into an interstate highway so that I can take a bit of top off the overheads.

I digress.

Like many industries it would appear that things are in a bit of state at the moment. But we can see the light at the end of this long dark tunnel and shortly, before we know it, we are going to blasted by the searing light of recovery and some of these DAW's are gonna be caught in very dirty underwear. Best get them in the wash now eh?

Toodle Pip

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.

39 Replies Related Threads

Just Another Bloke
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 17:26:47 (permalink)
    Queue John with a positive remark about SONAR!!!

jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 17:31:24 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum
    damon777
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 18:07:01 (permalink)
     "But we can see the light at the end of this long dark tunnel and shortly"

Lets hope its not the light of an oncoming train eh?...ah well you know what they say, as one door closes another one slams in your face!!

Dell XPS 430, 8GB 
     Win7 64
     VS 100 x2
     PCR 500
     8.5 PE
     X1D Expanded 
     X2A Producer E  
     Omnisphere, Stylus, Trillian
     Alesis M1 620`S
     Alesis M1 520`S.
     Novation Nocturn. 
    markyzno
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1216
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 18:11:43 (permalink)
    Whats wrong with Pro Channel exactly? I cant live without it now.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 18:20:31 (permalink)
    I see what he means about the PC. Unless you religiously use the included FX in the PC, it's a large space-consumer. But one size doesn't fit all. In my case, I only use the FX in the PC, so it's a large consumption of real-estate to be able to see a list of more than say, 3 FX in the FX bin. I have a 21" monitor I use when on remote locations, and the PC takes up a huge chunk of that, when expanded on any one channel, or from the Inspector.

So, while some really dig it, others simply don't.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Just Another Bloke
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 18:25:47 (permalink)
    brconflict
    In my case, I only use the FX in the PC, so it's a large consumption of real-estate to be able to see a list of more than say, 3 FX in the FX bin. 

While I have a 30" (monitor that is) I too have been using FX Chains more and more. I can see where by X3 any new project will be all FX Chain based (even if built dynamically on project by project basis).

leebut
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 19:05:23 (permalink)
    Well,
    CW refuse to give any indication of what their next move is. Apparently, according to support, it is confidential information not for the public domain.  I never realised a release version number was so top secret.
    Sometimes a refusal to answer a production question is an admission of inaction. EDIT: I am not saying that this is for sure, but we'll just have to wait.

I am happy with Sonar X2, but not with CW.

EDIT: Happy with Cakewalk now.
    post edited by leebut - 2013/08/20 17:48:47

Sonar X3; Sonar X2a Essential; Music Creator 6

Windows 7 Professional  (64-bit)
    ASUS M5A97 EVO R2; 8Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance RAM; AMD FX 6300 CPU

MOTU Microbook II
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 19:19:08 (permalink)
    It will be when it will be.

To the original poster: Was there some kind of point to your post?

@bapu - whatever your deal with poking sticks at John is, please keep it to yourself.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    creynolds
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 19:23:05 (permalink)
    The Bapu
    Queue John with a positive remark about SONAR!!!

I think I was quite positive about Sonar. I certainly did not say it was bad. I am very concerned that Protools 11 is a mess at the moment, with all my fave plugins in AAX 64 bit limbo. The fact that Roland are still not coughing up a compatible ASIO driver after a couple of months is very concerning. Not relevant? It adds to the mushy mess in the industry sector. Its a concern that the market leading product and its creators are in a really bad state.

Regarding Sonar. It seems too quiet. Unless there is a belter of a release just around the corner I don't see how the business is sustainable.Too lose Sonar would be a tragedy. Its still my favourite DAW and I like it most of all. It has strayed a bit from the path of simplicity. Prochannel was simply not required it was a tool to sell extra bespoke modules or to put it another way, create a new revenue stream. The alternative is to plug in the channel strip of your choice (or not) and you're done.

Like many large Japanese corporations Roland don't strike me as an enterprise of infinite patience or indeed funds. Japan has been through a lot more than a good 'ol fashioned recession of late. It's in a bit of a state. 

Sonar X3 had better be soon, and had better be very, very, good.
    Or...
    ライトをオフに残す最後の人As they say in Tokyo.

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.
    creynolds
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 19:37:13 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone

To the original poster: Was there some kind of point to your post?

@bapu - whatever your deal with poking sticks at John is, please keep it to yourself.

Bob Bone

Ooooo Mr Bone. Be calm and put that stone down. Nobody needs a beating here.
    Taking a good natured pop a John narrowly avoided making it in as a fully recognised Olympic sport in 2013. As for the point of my post - many I think. Mostly I wanted to set folks thinking. Thinking is better than fighting or finger pointing. Give it a whirl.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 20:03:06 (permalink)
    leebut
    Well,
    CW refuse to give any indication of what their next move is. Apparently, according to support, it is confidential information not for the public domain. Wow! I never realised a release version number was so top secret.
    Sometimes a refusal to answer a production question is an admission of inaction. We'll just have to wait.

I am happy with Sonar X2, but not with CW.

CW has never given out its plans to the forum. This perhaps is new to you but it is not uncommon. Sometimes no answer is nothing more than no answer.  

In general the forum is less active in the summer and if people are reading something into that its because they have very little historical perspective. 

As to Bapu its his way of trying to be intimidating. Trying to start conflict when there is none. He forgets this is not the CH.

Best
    John
    jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 20:22:48 (permalink)
    I can't imagine Bapu as intimidating.

But is this Bapu?  Has he really logged in as another user just because he couldn't post?  Is anyone that sad?

To the OP - I imagine X3 will appear.  I see no reason why not, nor any evidence to suggest it won't.

And, for me, the ProChannell is great.  The modules sound good, are easy to use, and improve my workflow.

Sonar Platinum
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 20:54:50 (permalink)
    Youse guyz crack me up.

And, it's done with absolutely no sense of humor.

Brilliant!!!!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 20:59:03 (permalink)
    bapu
    Youse guyz crack me up.

And, it's done with absolutely no sense of humor.

Brilliant!!!!

Well Done.

:-)

jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/19 21:08:25 (permalink)
    bapu
    Youse guyz crack me up.

Ditto. That's why I can't imagine you as intimidating. It's all a joke. We agree on this, at least.

You and McQ crack me up. Keep up the good work. Every court needs a jester. It wouldn't be the same without you both.

But drop the John hate thing. Even a good joke can wear thin, and it wasn't funny to start with.

Keep up the good work, gentlemen.

Sonar Platinum
    icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 00:55:41 (permalink)
    creynoldsSonar X3 had better be soon, and had better be very, very, good.Or...ライトをオフに残す最後の人As they say in Tokyo.  

I'm a native Japanese living in Tokyo but have never heard of this phrase. Sounds a bit strange to me.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    creynolds
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 02:10:21 (permalink)
    bapu
    Youse guyz crack me up. And, it's done with absolutely no sense of humor. Brilliant!!!!

Woah there every one. No attacking John is going on here and not on my thread please. No sense of humour? No sense of humour? Have you read my opening post about a south London boozer after a punch up? Also, the Japanese translates as "The last one to leave, please switch off the lights" humorous irony I think. Imagine that Japanese sign on the door of the cakewalk dev lab. Humour? I prefer witty.

There is no nastiness here people. Just lively debate about why there have been no patches or a new version of Sonar for an ominously long time. Also some genuinely concerned, but wry comment about the worryingly messed up audio software industry we are enduring at the moment.

I ran a large video and audio post production facility employing more than eighty people through the last proper recession and sold it on as a going profitable concern after more than 17 years. I speak with a little more than instinct about the industry. I firmly believe that the first step in solving a problem is to first identify and accept that there is one. Hence the 'point' of the OP. There's your question answered directly Mr E Bone. Anyone share my concerns?

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 02:33:23 (permalink)
    re - patches, I think its just gone back to the pre X1 type of schedule where a patch and a maintenance release a few months after the original release would have not been seen as unusual. The four maintence releases for X1 were exceptional by cakewalk standards.

Returning to the "old" schedule we could expect to see X3 in Q4 2013.

So IMHO - it looks like after the X1 blip, buisness as usual.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Just Another Bloke
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 02:42:17 (permalink)
    creynolds
    bapu
    Youse guyz crack me up. And, it's done with absolutely no sense of humor. Brilliant!!!!

Woah there every one. No attacking John is going on here and not on my thread please. No sense of humour? No sense of humour? 

Those that know me in person (SteveStrummerUK, Jonbouy, Mooch4056, Philz, ohgrant, Old55, Julibee, Randy Prier, Middleman, bitflipper, Brandon Ryan and Seth Perlstein) could verify that I have not an attacking bone in my body. But that is not necessary. I don't need to have others "defend" me.

For those that don't "get" my sense of humor....

read jb101's signature.

I'll get me coat.

The Bapu out.....
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 02:53:04 (permalink)
    creynolds

....Tried Studio one for bit but it felt like a bit of a toy.... Reaper feels like a bit of a geeks club project and Cubase I just couldn't face learning.

Toodle Pip

So true!

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 03:00:24 (permalink)
    Creynolds, I'm afraid it's a classic case of a lot of folks not understanding our English sense of humour.  Guys, it was a very well expressed, witty post from someone who loves Sonar.  Unclench.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 05:20:06 (permalink)
    Skyline_UK
    Creynolds, I'm afraid it's a classic case of a lot of folks not understanding our English sense of humour.  Guys, it was a very well expressed, witty post from someone who loves Sonar.  Unclench.

I am English, Old bean. I had no problems with the OP, who obviously has some experience in his field.

My problem is with Bapu and Mike's apparent bullying towards John.
    post edited by jb101 - 2013/08/20 12:51:13

Sonar Platinum
    Peter Morrison
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 05:24:12 (permalink)
    Who started this fight in the London pub? anyway Can I be arbitrator. That guy in the corner did not look at your girlfriends knickers and the fella with one eye in the middle, at the bar, is not that bad looking. I didn't mean to trip up the guy with the loaded tray. I was an accident. This fight would never have started in a Farnham pub.
    I recorded it all on my laptop running X2a

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
    jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 05:34:02 (permalink)
    Farnham, my old stomping ground. :-). Sounds more like Aldershot to me. And I never called anyone's drink a !@:ker.

Sonar Platinum
    creynolds
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 06:32:27 (permalink)
    jb101
    My problem is with Bapu and Mike's apparent bullying towards John.

I have removed this post.
    post edited by creynolds - 2013/08/20 07:24:48

qlne
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 06:38:11 (permalink)
    Er...ok, back on topic.

I also don't post often, and find Cakewalk's ominous lack of presence (unless they are selling some third party product or repackaged mouldie oldies) quite telling.

I am hoping they are waiting for the release of windows 8.1 before announcing an update or new version. Like the OP, I have dabbled with other daws and would prefer to stay with cakewalk. Unfortunately I may not have this option. Time will tell, as it already has.

Andy
    jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 06:44:52 (permalink)
    I fear you misread the situation. Mike and Bapu have been following John around for sometime, regardless of which bar he sits in, making childish comments every time he opens his mouth. He asks them time and time again to stop, but they carry on their puerile taunting. Several people notice their behaviour, and ask them to stop.

Someone misreads the situation, and defends them, having obviously not witnessed their behaviour over the previous few months. Probably due to too many alchopops, he attacks the wrong people.

Sonar Platinum
    jb101
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 06:46:53 (permalink)
    qlne

I am hoping they are waiting for the release of windows 8.1 before announcing an update or new version.

Andy

I do wonder if that is the case.

Sonar Platinum
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Sonar X3? Sonar X2 patch? Wheels come off? 2013/08/20 07:02:19 (permalink)
    These aren't the DAWs you're looking for

Nothing to see here

Move along now

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1