Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne

Author
patmc007
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
2014/05/26 22:19:19 (permalink)

Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne

Twice now, I've performed some pitch correction using Melodyne Essential as a region FX.  However, both times, when I save, close, then open the song later, all my Melodyne edits are gone.  How do you save your Melodyne edits so they are there the next time you open the song file?

Patrick
Via

www.soundcloud.com/patmc007

Sonar X3 Producer
Lexicon Lambda Pro Audio Interface
M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 Midi Controller
Korg nanoPAD 2
MXL 990 Microphone
Roland D-50 Linear Synth
A Wing
A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 00:15:34 (permalink)
patmc007
Twice now, I've performed some pitch correction using Melodyne Essential as a region FX.  However, both times, when I save, close, then open the song later, all my Melodyne edits are gone.  How do you save your Melodyne edits so they are there the next time you open the song file?

If you're happy with the edits you've done, bounce that Melodyned region to clip.  Your audio is now forever fixed, no need to keep Melodyne open for next time you open the project - It'll be disengaged once you bounce to clip.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 06:10:02 (permalink)
It should save just fine regardless, I almost never bounce to clip.
EDIT: in other words, it seems something is wrong, though I don't know what exactly. Bouncing to clip may be a good work-around to save you some headache.
patmc007
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 07:23:25 (permalink)
Bouncing the clip will help save precious resources, I like that idea.  But I would like to know why my Melodyne edits aren't saving.  Any other thoughts?

Patrick
Via

Sonar X3 Producer
Korg nanoPAD 2
MXL 990 Microphone
Roland D-50 Linear Synth
A Wing
A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 07:41:55 (permalink)
Reminds me of ReValver, which doesn't save preset display. It saves the settings, but next time you open it, you don't know what preset you're using.
I can't resist saying that IMO it's good practice to delete Melodyne as soon as you've done the edits. I never close a project with Melodyne active. I've "almost" lost projects by not doing that. I've used the Plugin version, though, but according to what I've read here the newer versions can be sensitive, too. I've had Editor for a year, but haven't installed it yet.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
rbowser
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 09:32:56 (permalink)
patmc007
Bouncing the clip will help save precious resources, I like that idea.  But I would like to know why my Melodyne edits aren't saving.  Any other thoughts?

That is a problem, and obviously shouldn't happen - it's a drag.  Hopefully Cake will straighten out what's happening. 

Meanwhile, as I just now posted on another thread (that one about V-Vocal), I don't consider bouncing a pitch corrected bit of audio to a clip to be a "work around" - I want my archived projects to have everything in place, with any off pitch bits permanently corrected.  Why would I want to archive out of whack audio that could have been fixed?  I don't save bits of audio that peaked out - those are re-recorded, so for me, it doesn't make sense to save out of tune bits either.  Bounce to clip takes a second, you're not relying on a plugin running in order for the audio to sound right - That all only seems logical to me.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 10:02:35 (permalink)
Confirm you have updated to the latest version of Melodyne and you are running X3E.

Considering performing a VST reset (a reset followed by rescan in preferences).
http://www.cakewalk.com/S...ommended-for-Upgraders

Confirm if the behaviour happens with brand new projects.

Thanks.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 10:33:15 (permalink)
rbowser
I don't consider bouncing a pitch corrected bit of audio to a clip to be a "work around" - I want my archived projects to have everything in place, with any off pitch bits permanently corrected.  Why would I want to archive out of whack audio that could have been fixed? 

Agreed 100%. Also if you're going to do a "universal" backup by exporting the project as WAV files, you'll end up exporting the un-fixed WAV if you haven't bounced to clip first.

Once it's fixed, it's fixed. You can always work on a copy and hide the original if you think you might want to redo the settings someday.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 11:51:00 (permalink)
I don't like working destructively on my audio unless resource management makes it necessary. It usually doesn't. That's all.
patmc007
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 12:40:22 (permalink)
Thanks for all the input.  Good to see both sides of the subject.  Each has good points.  I'm still waiting on Cakewalk Tech Support for a response.  I'll post once I get it.

Patrick
Via

Sonar X3 Producer
Korg nanoPAD 2
MXL 990 Microphone
Roland D-50 Linear Synth
A Wing
A Prayer

rbowser
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/27 21:52:29 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I don't like working destructively on my audio unless resource management makes it necessary...

I certainly wouldn't want to go back to when I had my first computer, and had to destructively add reverb to my tracks, and other FX like that which we want to use in real time, leaving the original track dry and original.  But If there's a clam note from an instrument or vocal that was intended to be on pitch, I don't see any point in keeping and archiving an uncorrected audio clip.  Fixing an error like an off-pitch in a clip is in a very different category from destructively adding FX.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 05:59:46 (permalink)
Are you using a registered version of Melodyne or are you using it in 30 day trial period ? I only ask because the trial version requires www connection each time you use it. Just trying to think of why your edits are going awol, not had that probem at all here.

As for the keep original debate, I tend to copy the track first, mute/hide the original and work on the copy. I hear what people are saying re keeping stuff that is "wrong", but I prefer not to leave loads of open clips, yet sometimes need to edit the edits which in some cases seems to work better starting over than trying to re-edit an edit. Once I'm totally happy with the project, it's easy enough to delete the audio tracks that are no longer required and a 'save as'  tidies up the audio folder at the end.

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 08:49:44 (permalink)
rbowser
Sanderxpander
I don't like working destructively on my audio unless resource management makes it necessary...

I certainly wouldn't want to go back to when I had my first computer, and had to destructively add reverb to my tracks, and other FX like that which we want to use in real time, leaving the original track dry and original.  But If there's a clam note from an instrument or vocal that was intended to be on pitch, I don't see any point in keeping and archiving an uncorrected audio clip.  Fixing an error like an off-pitch in a clip is in a very different category from destructively adding FX.

Randy

I disagree, I don't see why pitch correction plugins should get special status. You keep your compressor and EQ active for the same reason - it basically fixes a "problem" but you're not sure you've got it set perfectly yet. You may need to adjust it more after the other instruments are added. I will often Melodyne the worst few notes after an initial listen, to see if the take can work at all. Later on I'll be more meticulous. I could bounce near mixdown time I suppose but I've never really needed to yet.

Any advertised function should work, period. The rest is work-arounds and goodwill from the user.
post edited by Sanderxpander - 2014/05/28 10:00:59
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 09:08:20 (permalink)
Sanderxpander

Any advertised function should work, period. The rest is work-arounds and goodwill from the user.
Regardless, if a function is advertised as working, I don't see why it should get special status just because it i

Should, yes. And expecting all advertised functions to work in every project and every set up is 100% unrealistic, not to mention relying on it.
If a simple thing like fast bounce can put a respected, pro quality VST to its knees, it's obvious that extremely complicated and deep VSTs can mess up whole projects if you don't treat them like opera divas. 
I'm sometimes amazed reading of guys doing complicated edits on the fly when project is playing back, and then getting annoyed when the whole program stalls.  If a program promises you the Moon, many start using it as if Mars was mentioned.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 10:07:27 (permalink)
You wouldn't expect to have to stop the program to adjust an EQ either. I'm all for being reasonable towards the developer and I'm fine using work-arounds to avoid crashes. I'm just saying I don't see why pitch correction should be awarded special leniency. If it's not stable when running multiple clips, don't let us.
rbowser
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 10:22:22 (permalink)
Sanderxpander...Any advertised function should work, period...
...I disagree...etc.

Hi, Sanderxpander - I do sympathize with what you're saying about expecting something to work as advertised.  I just wanted to explain that I'm not getting crashes due to pitch shifting, because I work in a way that makes fewer demands on my computer.  I want to get on with the work!--not deal with crashes I can easily avoid.  

I don't feel I'm giving Melodyne "special leniency."  What seems illogical to me is to Not bounce.  Permanently fixing something which wasn't intended in a track, a clam note, isn't a "work around - IMHO - Bouncing to clip to fix the clam is the only method that makes sense to me.  I want to be sure there isn't any DC Offset in a track too, but I wouldn't want to run some plugin that temporarily fixes it on the fly - I want to run the DC Offset filter and permanently fix that track.

Kalle Rantaaho...If a program promises you the Moon, many start using it as if Mars was mentioned.

That cracked me up - Very clever statement of something that's very true.

I hadn't looked at Celemony's online tips and tricks kind of pages about Melodyne.  Now that I have, I see they advise bouncing to clips to save Ram.  Saving Ram is always a good idea to avoid the "I expected Mars" syndrome.  

On their site, they're also still saying you should temporarily set your buffer to a much larger size than usual, 1024 samples - and then re-set again when through with Melodyne.  When engaging Melodyne, I think we all used to see that pop-up with the "your buffer is too small" message.  Melodyne still works with a more normal, smaller buffer, - but the warning is still there, ready to be referred to if we start experiencing problems when trying to run it the way we run real time effects.

All of that is IMHO - You can have a different opinion, but you can't say my method of working, based on my analysis of the situation, is "wrong."  It's hard to argue with the efficiency of how I work, but obviously there are other ways of working, including ways that can apparently cause crashes.

I don't disagree with you, Sanderxpander, and I don't think how you're working is "wrong."  I'm just letting you know what my attitude is towards the whole pitch shift question.  When it comes to fixing pitches here and there, the process is pretty stress free for me!

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 13:49:37 (permalink)
I agree and I don't really run into problems not bouncing. I just feel that sometimes it almost comes off as accusing a user of causing the crashes by not bouncing each and every instance, and I don't think that's fair.
simpleman
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/05/28 14:58:14 (permalink)

When an application edits, this action is being held in a temp file-cache file etc. When you close Sonar that 'file' is not being kept or the pointer to it is being dissolved.
As mentioned; you increase the size of that file "buffer". Also are you running as 'Administrator'
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3 Studio and Melodyne 2014/06/01 17:01:29 (permalink)
> I disagree, I don't see why pitch correction plugins should get special status. You keep your compressor and EQ active for the same reason - it basically fixes a "problem" but you're not sure you've got it set perfectly yet. 

Not all plugins are the same. Some plugins that "look ahead" to analyse what is coming up often requires more power and more RAM, and the algorithms and logic used is far more complex.

Regardless this is what I do everytime I used melodyne.
1) Bounce to another track.
2) On the bounced track I do my melodyne edits.
3) Then I bounce the treated Melodyne track to a new track and I call that the master.
4) I archive off the other tracks just in case.

It's the safest way. Software is never perfect and you need to accommodate for this. I find this procedure no different then say backing up Windows periodically in case something goes wrong or saving your Sonar project periodically. Or having a cup of tea.

I don't run as Administrator and I have no issues. I really don't think Sonar should be run "as administrator" nowadays other than to get over issues such as not being able to register the product or to run a plugin that absolutely insists on it.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1