Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
2014/04/25 17:28:31 (permalink)

Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request

Bob, you wrote:
Sooooo, I use Kontakt LITERALLY all day, every day, and I would like to know what these apparently frequent challenges are that you keep having with Kontakt - matching output to tracks, and whatever else.
So do I... I use 5-6 fully loaded (16 instruments) instances of Kontakt daily - and other than straining my poor ancient computer, I have only one real problem, which I am slowly mitigating through the use of an orchestral template. No crashes that I can attribute to Kontakt... actually no crashes at all for quite a while.
But Sonar's track templates make the idea of a single, monolithic orchestral template somewhat unnecessary... or they would IF I could rapidly create new track templates on the fly... or work from a single empty template, which would be ideal.

You then wrote:
The reason I ask you to elaborate on whatever those issues are, is that I have learned to use a pretty straight-forward and foolproof method of getting several instruments loaded up in an instance of Kontakt, and matched up nicely to the audio and midi tracks that correspond to the loaded instruments. 
That sounds excellent. If I could build instances of Kontakt on the fly quickly and easily I'd be much more productive... well, that's probably a stretch, but it's always possible?

Finally, you made a lovely offer...
I would like to go over this with you in a separate thread, so I would like you to please gather your thoughts on those Kontakt challenges and create a new thread, so that I can guide you through what I found to work VERY well for me."
Consider it done, and consider me your crash test dummy!

Thanks for the offer!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/04/25 20:38:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lawajava 2014/04/26 01:57:39
Oh, SURE.  TAKE me up on my offer!!! :)

OK - I will describe what I do to set up a new instance of a multi-instrument Kontakt muilti-rack in Sonar X3e.

First, let's make sure we know which Kontakt dll flavor we are working with.  If you have not already renamed the multiple Kontakt dll versions:

1.  Click on Utilities>Cakewalk Plugin Manager.
2.  In Plug-in Categories, click on VST Instruments (VSTi)
3.  Scroll down in the Registered Plug-ins, until you see the 3 flavors of Kontakt.
4.  Click ONCE on the 1st Kontakt dll in the list, to select it.
5.  Now, down below the Registered Plug-ins list, click on Plug-in Properties, to bring up the VST Plug-in Properties dialog box for that Kontakt dll.
6.  Click on Details.
7.  You will see the number of outputs that Kontakt dll is set to use, and this is the key to knowing which one you are using.  Now that you know how many outputs this Kontakt dll flavor is set for, alter the NAME of the dll right here in this Details Window, so that the name becomes 'Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs' (without the quotes), or 'Kontakt 5 - 8 Outputs, or Kontakt 5 - 64 Outputs, as appropriate.  
8.  Click OK and back out to where you see the Registered Plug-ins list, and repeat the process for the other Kontakt dll flavors.

When you have completed the above, you will always see the new Kontakt dll names when you go to insert an instance of Kontakt, and that makes things easier.

OK - that was the teaser :)

Alright, here is what I do for setting up an instance of a Kontakt Multi-Rack in Sonar, along with the corresponding audio and midi tracks:

1.  Decide which Kontakt dll you want to use for the given instance, based on how many instruments you intend for it to use.  Each loaded instrument will end up with 2 outputs (L/R).  Your choices are 8 outputs, 16 outputs, or 64-outputs.

2.  Use the Browser Pane to insert the desired Kontakt dll into the Synth Rack.  I have chosen to always MANUALLY insert audio and midi tracks, so in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog Box, I  have CLEARED all the check boxes from the 'Create These Tracks' section of the dialog box.  That way, I never have to look to see what prior settings were used, and is simply a personal choice.

3.  OK, so for this example, I happened to choose the Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs dll (per my renaming conventions as described above in this post).  This version of Kontakt is inserted into the synth rack, and NO audio or midi tracks were inserted for me.  

4.  OK - the Kontakt plugin UI opens automatically, because I did leave that checked in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.

5.  For this example, we will load up 5 instruments.  Load any Piano, Organ, Strings, Electric Piano, and Bass instruments, in that order (for this example).  They will load and get assigned midi channels 1-5 in sequence, with all outputs going to ST 1 (the master stereo outputs).

6.  OK, now we have to fix the output routing assignments, so that each instrument gets its own stereo output channels.  Kontakt provides an easy mechanism for this.  If the Output Section is not already showing at the bottom of the Kontakt control panel UI, click on the Output icon way up at the top-center of the Kontakt control panel, to toggle On the display of the audio Output Section.  With it 'On', you will see the outputs and faders and such.  Right now there is a single ST 1, and 4 AUX outptuts, and that just will not do.  Look for the drop-down arrow to the right of where it says 'Presets / Batch Configuration, and click on that arrow to expand that, then hover your mouse over the 'Batch Functions', and when the options open to the right, click on 'Clear output section and create one individual channel for each loaded instrument'.  This will do just that, wiping out whatever was there, and will create a stereo output channel for each of the loaded instruments. 

7.  We are not yet done with the output section.  If you notice, each output channel now has the name of each individual preset, which is a mess, and will make our Sonar routing assignments difficult to read.  SO, for each output section channel name, double-click on it to open it for renaming, then do CTRL:+A to select all of the text of that channel name (all characters do not display, so selecting them all guarantees you will be renaming all of the name), and type in a more meaningful name, then hit Enter to complete the channel rename.  Use Piano, Organ, Strings, Electric Piano, and Bass for the new names for the output section channel names.

8.  We are now done with the Kontakt control panel, so go ahead and close it.  It is time to set up the audio and midi tracks in the Sonar Track View.

9.  For purposes of this walk through, we will create 1 stereo audio track per instrument, so insert 5 stereo audio tracks and 5 midi tracks.  

10.  OK, let's take care of Piano first.  Rename the 1st audio track as 'Piano', and set its Input to Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs 1 - Kt. Piano/Kt. Piano R: Stereo.  (now you see why I had you rename the output section channel names in the Kontakt UI - MUCH easier to assign and see).  

11.  Now fix up the midi track for the Piano.  Rename the 1st midi track as 'Piano Midi'.  Leave its Input to the default, and set the Output to Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs 1.  (the 1 is because it is the 1st instance of the Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs dll).  Now, we want to also set the midi channel that gets transmitted for this midi track back to Kontakt, so look in the Track Inspector or the Console View for this Piano Midi track, and just under the FX bin, hover your mouse on the 1st parameter you see there, and it will display MIDI Channel = None.  This parameter is called the MIDI Output Channel.  Set it to 1:Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs, which is for midi channel 1 of your Kontakt instance (which is the correct one for the loaded Piano instrument in the Kontakt instance)
12.  This completes the setup for the Piano instrument.  Repeat the process for the other instruments, adjusting midi channels and names accordingly, so that at the end of it all, you have the audio tracks picking up the output from each instrument loaded into the Kontakt instance, and you have a separate midi track for each loaded instrument in Kontakt, as well.  Further, each midi track transmits on the correct midi channel for the corresponding instrument, and everything has a nice and easy to read name.

Now, all of that typing is WAY harder to do than to actually DO the setup of one of these Kontakt instances, so PLEASE do not let the number of steps make you think it is either a lengthy or difficult process.  Once you do it a few times, you can whip up an instance and get all the routing assignments and tracks set up in literally 2-3 minutes, or less.

FURTHER, when you get the hang of the above, you can also do things like:

1.  Create a track folder for the audio and midi tracks of this Kontakt instance.
2.  Save off the audio and midi tracks (and track folder, if you made one), as a Track Template, so that you can VERY quickly insert a fully loaded Kontakt instance with all tracks for commonly used instruments, such as Piano, Strings, etc.  This is SUPER helpful.
3.  You could also set it up and save it off as a Project Template, along with other commonly used settings, which is also a super fast way to create a new project that has commonly used Kontakt instruments.

I TRULY hope I have explained the above in an easy to follow manner.  Just walk through it a few times, and you will 'get it' so that you can whip up one of these in no time at all.

Another thing I more commonly do is to use separate Left and Right audio tracks for each instrument, rather than a single stereo track.  I do this because I frequently add slightly different effects on the Left and Right channels for each instrument, for purposes of widening the sound, and making it more active to the listener.

I also created and saved off a bunch of Kontakt Multi-Racks with their names being an indication of what instruments are loaded into each one, so that I have some pre-made ones ready to go.  These are loaded into a bunch of similarly-named Sonar Track Templates, so that with a single Insert From Track Template, I can load in a commonly used set of Kontakt instrument combinations, not only things like Piano, Organ, Strings, and Bass, but I also have ones for String Section, or Brass Section, or Woodwinds, where I would have perhaps a single track folder for Strings, and it would contain tracks for 10-15 string instruments, all connected to multiple instances of Kontakt, with each Kontakt instance being loaded with Cellos, Violins, or Violas, etc.

The sky is the limit on setting up stuff between instances of Kontakt and multiple instruments, along with track templates and track folders, or project templates.

PLEASE NOTE that I dimly recall there being some issues with having more than 5-6 instruments in a single instance of Kontakt, something to do with errors in naming output channels.  I just avoid all of that by choosing to never have more than 5 instruments loaded into a single instance of Kontakt, and everything works great with no issues whatsoever.  So, for me, the most commonly used version of Kontakt is the dll with 16 outputs.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/04/26 02:12:50 (permalink)
Bob - you almost outdid even yourself on this one. I picked up a few tricks here. Never had thought to look for the dlls and rename them for example. Great stuff! Much appreciated.

Two things I would add.

1. after you've got something you've set up that you like, save it as a track template. Next time you want it in another song just drag in the track template and it's back again in seconds.

2. Seth Perlstein created a very good tutorial that demonstrates the how to very well on this subject. The video is on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u6dWL-32jI

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/04/26 05:24:42 (permalink)
Thank you for the kind words, lawajava.

I did mention using Track Templates, along with Track Folders, by the way, towards the end - sorry it was buried a bit in a big paragraph in a long post - I wish I had not been so tired when I wrote that up - I would have been better at grouping the material into easier to read shorter paragraphs.  Here is that section, from my post:

"I also created and saved off a bunch of Kontakt Multi-Racks with their names being an indication of what instruments are loaded into each one, so that I have some pre-made ones ready to go.  These are loaded into a bunch of similarly-named Sonar Track Templates, so that with a single Insert From Track Template, I can load in a commonly used set of Kontakt instrument combinations, not only things like Piano, Organ, Strings, and Bass, but I also have ones for String Section, or Brass Section, or Woodwinds, where I would have perhaps a single track folder for Strings, and it would contain tracks for 10-15 string instruments, all connected to multiple instances of Kontakt, with each Kontakt instance being loaded with Cellos, Violins, or Violas, etc.

The sky is the limit on setting up stuff between instances of Kontakt and multiple instruments, along with track templates and track folders, or project templates."

Also, GREAT find of yours, to put in the link to Seth's write-up.  Good job, 

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
wst3
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/04/26 09:51:16 (permalink)
Wow Bob!

It is possible that I am shooting myself in the foot, as I always let Sonar set up the audio tracks. And While I have renamed the DLL files, I always use the 64 output version, and I even went so far as to create an output template that includes 16 instrument tracks and the 4 aux busses each feeding a discrete pair of Kontakt outputs.

Where I run into trouble is that bug where more than half a dozen instruments causes problems with output names. The original bug, where the output names became scrambled (e.g. violin R gets paired with viola L) seems to have been fixed, but now you have to jump through hoops to get the new names to propagate. That's still better of course, and in my template I just numbered the tracks, so it's easier, but still...

I'd love to have only 5-6 instruments loaded per Kontakt instance, but I regularly work with 80 or more instruments, and my CPU won't handle that work load.

I am going to try manually adding audio tracks today - hopefully this will be the final piece of the puzzle!

Thanks so much for that post!!!!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 19:08:07 (permalink)
I've only just got around to this, very useful thanks Bob!

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 19:38:49 (permalink)
A most excellent and useful post.  Thanks!

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 23:10:20 (permalink)
@WST3

Here is a quote of your post from above: "Where I run into trouble is that bug where more than half a dozen instruments causes problems with output names. The original bug, where the output names became scrambled (e.g. violin R gets paired with viola L) seems to have been fixed, but now you have to jump through hoops to get the new names to propagate. That's still better of course, and in my template I just numbered the tracks, so it's easier, but still..."

I STILL have the issue where after 6-7 instruments are loaded into a multi-rack, and I use the batch function to clear the output section and create a stereo output channel for each loaded instrument, that part works fine, but when I am assigning Audio Track inputs, those later instruments STILL have garbled or mixed up names when I set the Input routing assignment.

So, the 1st 5-6 instruments I see the names are properly listed in that Input drop-down list for all of the Kontakt output channels, but then those upper instruments the names become mixed up and out of order.

Yet, from your post, it seems to me that you indicated that this problem may somehow be 'fixed' or addressed - if so, how?

I SURELY would like to have more than 5-6 instruments loaded into a multi-rack, and still have the output section channel names picked up properly in Sonar.

Thanks, (the other stuff I posted about in this thread still works great, I just have never successfully been able to set the audio track inputs properly for more than 5-6 Kontakt instruments for a given instance)

Bob Bone

Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 23:25:35 (permalink)
Hmm I'll give it a go later. I've just done a clean install of Windows 8.1.1, Sonar X3E and Komplete 5 + service centre updates. So far so good...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
wst3
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 23:31:08 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
So, the 1st 5-6 instruments I see the names are properly listed in that Input drop-down list for all of the Kontakt output channels, but then those upper instruments the names become mixed up and out of order.

Yet, from your post, it seems to me that you indicated that this problem may somehow be 'fixed' or addressed - if so, how?

I SURELY would like to have more than 5-6 instruments loaded into a multi-rack, and still have the output section channel names picked up properly in Sonar.

It probably won't be till the middle of the week, but I will write up what I did - I'm not 100% sure the problem is fixed, as I can still make it happen, but I did find a solution that maps 16 output pairs without garbling the names. I was so thrilled I saved it as an output config<G>!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/18 23:57:20 (permalink)
I too am still challenged with K5 and thanks, Bob... After I get off my total high writing music with the new Ample Sound guitars, I'll give proper K5 routing setups a try again... my templates still don't work right but having way too much fun to even go there for a few days!

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/19 00:04:14 (permalink)
Great discussion on Kontakt and lots of tips.  Thanks Bob, and all.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/19 10:20:21 (permalink)
Kontakt 5 is absolutely an amazing piece of software, and is my go-to synth sound source.

Even with the current struggles to be able to properly deal with more than 5-6 loaded instruments in a given instance of it, working with Kontakt in Sonar is ridiculously easy, and incredibly well-suited for the kind of music I like to create.

Kontakt and Sonar track/project templates are a beautiful marriage.  Folks are always amazed at how quickly I can get a new project loaded up and playing top-notch synth sounds.

I am SOOOO looking forward to being able to load up 15-16 instruments into a single instance of K5, and be able to route audio tracks properly.

Bob Bone

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/05/19 12:00:33 (permalink)
WOW, I just listened to a YouTube clip from the Gibson flavor of Ample Sound Guitar.  Fabulous.

Bob Bone

Q-dogger
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/12/05 23:59:54 (permalink)
Robert E Bone. You da man! I was going nuts trying to figure this out. Thanks man! Couldn't rename the various Kontakt 5 instances in the vst menu but the middle one is 16 so good enough for me. Cheers
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2014/12/06 02:30:09 (permalink)
To rename the Kontakt 5 dll's:

• Fire up the Cakewalk Plug-In Manager, under Utilities.
  • In the Cakewalk Plug-In Manager, go to Plug-In Category VST Instruments (VSTi), and find the Kontakt entries, which will be listed in the list to the right, in the Registered Plug-Ins.
  • Start with the first one you see listed, and click on it's name once, to highlight it in the list.  We need to see which of the dll's this one is, so we know what to rename it to.

Please note that there are 2 ways to do the following.  I will first go through the longer way, since that will also work for other plugins.  Then I will cover the shorter way, which works because of how the Kontalt dll's are named.

Longer Way:
  • Now that the first Kontakt Dll is highlighted, a button becomes enabled in the section down below the list of registered plug-ins.  The button is labelled Plug-In Properties, and is the middle button in the VST Configuration section.  Click on the Plug-In Properties button - which will then open a dialog box with that dll's various properties.  
  • Once the properties dialog box opens up, click on the button called Details, which will open up another dialog box with some additional details about this particular dll.  It is in this detail that you can see the number of outputs associated with this particular dll.  Make note of the number of outputs listed in this detail, and click OK, to close the Details dialog and bring you back to the Plug-In Properties dialog box.
  • You see a text box with the name of the dll placed in there for you.  This text box is one of the places you can type in a new name for this particular dll.  I named my 3 Kontakt dll's: Kontakt 5 - 08 Outputs, Kontakt 5 - 16 Outputs, and Kontakt 5 - 64 Outputs.  Type in whatever you would like and click OK, for the one you are looking at.  Repeat for the other 2.
Shorter Way:

• Now that the first Kontakt Dll is highlighted, Sonar will pull in the file name for that dll, and due to the way Native Instruments chose to name their 3 dll files, it is easy to see which one is which.  The 3 names NI uses for the 3 Kontakt dll's are: Kontakt 5 8out.dll, Kontakt 5 16out.dll, and Kontakt 5.dll (this last one has 64 outputs, it is just not named as such)  So, make note of the file name for the one you have highlighted here, and then simply double-click on the one you have highlighted in the Registered Plug-In list.  This opens up a dialog box called Set Plug-In Friendly Name, and you can change the name here to be Kontakt 5 - 08 Outputs, or whichever one it is, then click OK and repeat all of this for the other 2 Kontakt dll's, and you are done.
I hope the above helps you to be able to rename these.

Please review the above and give it a shot, then post back with the results and any additional questions you may have.

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

JnTuneTech
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/03/31 20:22:56 (permalink)
Has anyone else noticed this behavior: When I have a project that contains a Kontakt (I mostly use the 8-out instance) instrument rack loaded already, and I use Sonar to "create a track template" from an existing, even un-associated MIDI or Audio track, -after I name the track template and click save, there will be a small pause and I see briefly a GUI window that looks like a Kontakt preferences panel (small mostly chalky gray interface), just before everything returns to "normal" (and the save is completed) -?  Again, this only happens for me when Kontakt is loaded, as otherwise this operation just saves quickly and with no other GUI splash.  -Jn-
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 01:38:03 (permalink)
If such a windows does pop up during creation of a track template, either I am just not paying any attention or it comes and goes so fast on my system that I never actually see it.

Do you have any way of recording the screen - maybe with your cell phone?  That way you could crop and zoom and freeze the playback to try to figure out what is on that pop up.

Just a thought.

Bob Bone

Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 01:50:34 (permalink)
Hi Bob...had a go at doing this and everything is playing okay...however, that's the problem, if I select say the piano, and play on my midi-keyboard, all the other instruments are playing. So for the first midi track, as an input, I selected midi channel 1 on my Roland Pro 1 channel - named A-Pro 1 and that works okay, but when I try to do that for the next one - organ - nothing registers. The keyboard is transmitting but the input from it is not happening in Sonar. Everything else is set up to your specs. What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

Fabio Rubato
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 02:18:41 (permalink)
Oh, it would appear that the midi on each Kontact instrument has to be set for the appropriate midi channel...so for 5 - bass - the midi is 5. So that all seems to work now. I am noticing however, that if I play say the bass on the keys, the Piano channel seems to be active. This is occurring for each instrument track I select and there seems to be a small amount of piano sound accompanying it.

Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 

williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 11:25:22 (permalink)
Is it possible you are seeing the kontakt loading pane?
post edited by williamcopper - 2018/11/04 11:47:50
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 11:30:58 (permalink)
As to the input going to multiple Kontakt channels, two possibilities: Kontakt is set to "omni" in the midi input field, or you have sonar's "echo input" active and the echo goes somewhere other than the original midi channel.    As to some of the things in this long and good thread, I'm now using many instances of Kontakt 5 and hundreds of loaded instruments, many gigabytes of memory.   The only thing I take care about is to consistently use the same Output channel format in every instance.   In my case, I use the "16-outs" version, with four stereo outputs, (and the aux outputs) and group different instruments and banks into one of the four; each gets a name, as Bob initially said, and that's not a problem, but following the K5 manual I don't mix instances with 2 outs with instances with 8 outs or anything like that.

JnTuneTech
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/01 21:00:02 (permalink)
(R.E. Screenshot) That looks very possibly it, although many of Kontakt's preference screens have the same GUI format. I might try Bob's suggestion or just run a screen capture utility. Speaking of the screenshot - I noticed the LoopMIDI icon - another great little utility!  Thanks to all in this thread, lots of great, helpful info.

I also seem to have had issues with Sonar (from 8.5 to current) that cropped up mainly during projects using Kontakt (4 & 5), but other than the oddity I mention regarding the window "ghosting" lately when I make track templates, I have found no easily reproducible pattern. I do seem to find, that careful use of the multiple output .dlls, -rather than the seeming default that loads 64 outputs (do heed the tips here on re-naming the instances in plug in manager - very well advised) cuts down on the times I will have crashes or inconsistency. Seems like it would save system resources at the very least, if one is not going to use that many outputs in the first place.

On my end, I seem to experience odd crashes or inconsistency the longer I play around with adjusting parameters while playback is running (tone adjustments, drum mixes, whatnot), and the odd crash on opening a project that has a fair-sized Kontakt sample library to load up (I see the loading window briefly..) after running & closing any number of other seemingly unrelated projects beforehand.. Hence my wariness of the "ghost" window I see when making a track template...  Maybe it's unrelated, but I am exploring all angles.

Other than that though, the majority of the time Kontakt & Sonar work great for me, and organizing (and cleaning up) the outputs section, customizing the multi-out defaults and such, as mentioned here, has really made the difference in workflow, and again, I think maybe cleared some problems up as well. So again, excellent thread folks!  -Jn-
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/02 01:58:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DRanck 2015/06/10 19:14:02
Under some circumstances all your efforts to create friendly names for your plugins will all come to nought because a plugin reset or scan can return the plugin to its default name. You can however change the default name that Sonar uses by creating and using a variable in the Sonar Cakewalk.ini file as follows. It's a one time thing.

VSTPluginNameFormat=2 this allows me to see the full dll name. It obviates the need for friendly names.

Can be 0-3. As defined below,
0 = VST Name
1 = DLL Name
2 = VST Name (DLL Name)
3 = DLL Name (VST Name)

See page 1578 in the reference manual for more details.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Fabio Rubato
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/02 02:43:43 (permalink)
williamcopper
As to the input going to multiple Kontakt channels, two possibilities: Kontakt is set to "omni" in the midi input field, or you have sonar's "echo input" active and the echo goes somewhere other than the original midi channel.    As to some of the things in this long and good thread, I'm now using many instances of Kontakt 5 and hundreds of loaded instruments, many gigabytes of memory.   The only thing I take care about is to consistently use the same Output channel format in every instance.   In my case, I use the "16-outs" version, with four stereo outputs, (and the aux outputs) and group different instruments and banks into one of the four; each gets a name, as Bob initially said, and that's not a problem, but following the K5 manual I don't mix instances with 2 outs with instances with 8 outs or anything like that.

Got it pretty much figured - although I don't use the aux as I don't know how to. But yes, I'll have a look at that echo input, which is where I may be getting some spill. Today I experimented with initially one instrument and set it up and did the 'Presets / Batch Configuration, and click on that arrow to expand that, then hover your mouse over the 'Batch Functions', and when the options open to the right, click on 'Clear output section and create one individual channel for each loaded instrument' and then added another and did the same thing. All went well and it's good to be able to able to do this, so now I can load a number of instruments instead of several instance of Kontact. Very effective. Thanks to Bob.

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/04/02 21:27:58 (permalink)
In case this is useful to somebody I learned this today...

Crackling and volume issues keep resetting within Sonar - How to Resolve...

1) Update Kontakt in service center.

2) Check this post:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1106242

3) Remove or disable the convolution reverb for each instrument if it exists, this is crackle central!!!:
Wrench button > Insert Effects -> Conv.

If you really need to use convolution reverb use it as an aux.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/06/10 05:26:29 (permalink)
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, seeing as I pick up Komplete 10 tonight!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
DRanck
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/06/10 13:50:48 (permalink)
Mudgel, I did not know about the vst name format setting. This is great! Thanks.

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
DRanck
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/06/10 19:10:33 (permalink)
Wish I knew about the VSTPluginNameFormat setting  a long time ago. I just added it to the ini file. So simple. So useful. Thanks again Mudgel.

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Sonar X3 and Kontakt 5 - per Bob's request 2015/09/01 19:09:06 (permalink)
Piggybacking this useful info:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3279578

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1