Sonar and Native Instruments Komplete5

Author
headshrinker2
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 147
2008/05/27 22:29:02 (permalink)

Sonar and Native Instruments Komplete5

Greetings,
How many of you Sonar folks are successfully using Native Instruments Komplete 5 on your PC? Does Komplete "play nice" w/ Sonar?

I am making a final decision regarding getting a new/recent hardware sound module or synth, vs something computer based like Komplete5.

Take care,

-- Rob

10 Replies Related Threads

mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Sonar and Native Instruments Komplete5 2008/05/27 22:44:48 (permalink)
    I have Komplete 5 and SONAR 7PE. I haven't exhaustively explored everything in Komplete 5, but everything I have tried so far seems to work fine. You'll want to collect a few more opinions, of course. I have read that you should disable multi-cpu in Kontakt and let SONAR hand the scheduling instead. Otherwise, both Kontakt and SONAR try to work out how to handle multiple cpus. When I first got Komplete 5, SONAR stuttered a lot with Kontakt, but successive patches for Kontakt (and SONAR) have pretty well cleaned that up. I have also adjusted the PCI latency timers on my computer, which helped a lot. This is with XP SP2 and now SP3 and 4GB or RAM. Although, Windows only sees 3GB of it. If you have the hardware for it, Komplete 5 should work just fine with SONAR.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Sonar and Native Instruments Komplete5 2008/05/28 04:24:57 (permalink)
    I use basically everything NI makes with Sonar (I'm one of the NI forum moderators). No problem here...

ew
    headshrinker2
    Mose 2008/05/28 10:04:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. What processor are you using on your PC? How do you have your drives configured? Do you have the content on a separate drive than your operative system and programs?

Most importantly, are you happy with your NI stuff?

-- Rob
    headshrinker2
    EW 2008/05/28 10:05:51 (permalink)
    EW,
    Thanks for the reply,
    Mind describing your PC and how your drives and data are configured? I have a PC that I custom built for heavy photoshop use. I'm trying to figure out if it will work well with NI stuff.

-- Rob
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: EW 2008/05/28 14:24:41 (permalink)
    My machine's about a year and a half old, so it's far from being state of the art nowdays. It's a 4600x2 AMD with 2 GB of DDR667 RAM, an older cheap Chaintech PCI-e graphics card based on the GeForce 6600 (high end graphics cards hog a lot of system bandwidth) and three drives- a 160 GB system drive which only has Windows and things that have to be installed on the system drive on it, a 250 GB as a miscellaneous drive and a 320 GB drive for music apps and audio.

ew
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: EW 2008/05/28 14:38:38 (permalink)
    My system has an AMD 64x 4200+, which is kind of slow, now, but it works fine with SONAR. (Any system is slow for Adobe Premiere Pro. ) I have 4GB of RAM. The main system is on SATA RAID5 with two partitions of 128GB for the system and 750GB for data (all of the sound libraries for the things I have are quite large). I have a couple of other SATA drives for backup and miscellaneous files. I don't think disks will be a factor unless you plan on disk streaming. I try to load as much into memory as possible. Even if you use disk streaming, most disk arrangements should work fine. I would think that Komplete 5 would be right at home on a computer built with Photoshop in mind.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: EW 2008/05/29 16:32:06 (permalink)
    a bit off topic, but I got kore / komplete today, with a free token for a sound bank...

but which one to choose.. the drawbar organ,hhhm not my bag.. drums... got plenty of them... so it's out of the massive or reaktor "best sounds"

are theyalready included within komplete? and I guess the offer applies to all of them. as it's by the value? or it's just 4 that are on the sheet?

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: EW 2008/05/29 19:57:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

a bit off topic, but I got kore / komplete today, with a free token for a sound bank...

but which one to choose.. the drawbar organ,hhhm not my bag.. drums... got plenty of them... so it's out of the massive or reaktor "best sounds"

are theyalready included within komplete? and I guess the offer applies to all of them. as it's by the value? or it's just 4 that are on the sheet?

Massive Soundpack is totally new: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=massiveexpansion&L=1&ftu=a7d7872d7056e6e
    Best of Reaktor is only found in Reaktor 5, not Kore 2.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: EW 2008/05/29 20:04:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ew

(high end graphics cards hog a lot of system bandwidth)

Oh dear God.... Not only are you completely wrong, this statement does not even stand up to simple logic...

The whole point of higher end vid systems is to lower system utilization by off loading the graphics tasks from CPU and PCI bus...

And I am not talking about 3D, I am talking about 2D. Somehow the graphics still need to be drawn on the screen, and it becomes increasingly important when resolutions climb, such as with todays modern hi-res large monitors or worse yet, dual monitors. Higher end vid systems have faster and higher bit rate memory controllers and better scheduling.

Low end vid systems on the other hand put the CPU into wait states... they decrease system performances because they are so slow, and because they tend to use cheap technologies that rely on the system for things like memory access and so on (some even are simply AGP cards with a PCIe bridge chip which is even worse for system performance, as its yet another layer of processing)

And FYI, the 6600 was a high end vid card a couple of years ago. It performed nearly as well as as the (then) top of the line 6800. I owned two of them they were so good. The reason its cheap now is not because its low end, but because its obsolete. We are now at the 9xxx level.

To the OP. Sorry for hijacking your thread, but this BS needs to be stamped out once and for all.

As for a system that optimized for PS, do not worry about it. If it runs smoothly then it should work fine. I also do graphics (and vid NLE, and application development and networking and play games and watch DVDs and, well, everything) work on my DAW, and it is flawless in all tasks. The only problems I experience are those that are well known like the sudden 100db sound increase, which has zero to do with the vid card, and is actually a bug in Cakewalk. And yes, I have a high end vid card...

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: EW 2008/05/29 20:41:06 (permalink)
    torhan,thanks. I was leaning to that but wasn't sure of how long ago things were released.

I did listen to the demos of all of them, but was worried in the sense of if I already have them in Komplete. Not installed that or kore yet as today I was sorting out my new sound card, and a few other bits.

since it's new I guess it wasn't included

I really like the pad at the start of demo tune 4, although trance isn't my thing.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1