Sonar and the Ketron SD4

Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
2008/09/14 22:09:05 (permalink)

Sonar and the Ketron SD4

I want to give a heads up on the new Ketron SD4 that I received about a week ago and use with Sonar Producer. I want to start by saying that this is the updated or newer version of the Ketron SD2
I'll start off with the connections. The SD4 gives you a lot more options than the SD2. First, it gives you two 1/4 left and right
analog outs, two 5 pin midi ins and one 5 pin midi out. It also has a 1/4 stereo headphone out. These connections give you so much leeway to meet
or match any configuration that is needed in any recording situation.
With the SD4 you can have 3 layers of sounds and it includes 3GM banks of 128 sounds each, 32 drum sets and 82 grooves. There are also 128 presets
that can be tweaked and configured by the user.
There's also effects on the unit that can be activated and include Chorus, Distorsor, Delay, leslie Slow, and leslie fast. It also includes 2 dynamic
operating ranges of low and high. You also have full control over the panning of each instrument. All these are accessible on the unit so you can define
your sound before it gets printed in sonar saving resources.
There's also an SD4 editor that can be downloaded which allows you to do realtime effect or parameter changes.

I found just like the Ketron SD2, the SD4 has remarkable and realistic sounds of orchestral instruments, bass and drum sounds. I still find it
amazing how real they sound. I really can't put into words how real they all sound. It's like there's a violinist or saxaphone player playing
right in front of me.
My favorite thing to do with this unit is to layer 3 sounds, pan them all different and add some effects. Then, I just trigger the sounds with my
midi keyboard (axium 49). I have my own personal orchestra that will do anythnig I ask....
I'm still just hitting the surface with the SD4, but I'm so amazed in how it gives authenticity to your song or project that are produced in Sonar

Heres a link http://ketron.com/itemdetails.asp?mod=SD4
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog

18 Replies Related Threads

InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/14 22:23:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing. I know you have your music site. Could you tell us when you put up a song that uses the KD4 please.

Ed
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/15 02:40:18 (permalink)
    Sure, i just finished recording the music parts. Im just writing words for it and then recording the vocals, then mixing/mastering it. I used the violin in the chorus parts of the song. I t does sound pretty cool. It should be done in a few weeks
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    wyndham
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/15 19:25:03 (permalink)
    I had heard on another forum that the SD4 simple had two "SD2" sound banks and that the sounds were the same quality. Can you shed any light on this?
    Wyndham
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/16 14:58:05 (permalink)
    If you ever heard the Ketron SD2, then having the same sound quality as that would be just fine. THe Ketron SD4 is just like the SD2, but with allot more features that i described in my 1st post. for instance it allows you to layer up to three sounds. While the SD2 can only play one at a time.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    KingdomVibes
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/16 15:27:12 (permalink)
    CJ,

Question for you - Have you been able to layer 3 voices and play them all at once with your controller? If yes, do you use 1 midi channel to control them or are they all on separate channels (multi-timbre)?
    post edited by KingdomVibes - 2008/09/16 16:55:11
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/16 15:34:27 (permalink)
    Why did you quote me on something i never said??? Can you edit that please..
    I use one midi channel from my axium49 to play the 3 layered voices.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    KingdomVibes
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/22 14:49:52 (permalink)
    Cj,

How do you change voices within the same track on the SD2? I am trying to avoid using all 16 tracks, but however have say 2 voices used within the same track in a song. Eg song starts off with Grand piano on track 1. Now on measure 230, I want to have the voice on track 1 change to sax. Hope you understand what I am trying to do.

Thanks,

KV.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/24 17:41:37 (permalink)
    How do you change voices within the same track on the SD2?

You can change the voices on the SD4 module itself, if your using the analog outs into your sound card and then sonar.
    How are you liking the SD4 with Sonar??? Im having a good time with it and im still learnign it. Theres allot more to it then the SD2
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/09/24 17:45:18

Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2008/09/24 17:58:01 (permalink)
    After further review i found that you can make a program change by pressing the function/P.ch key. The LCD will blink and the display will show the number its set to. Then you can use the up and down value keys to change the patch. This is doen in the edit mode.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    deswind
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 952
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2009/01/09 20:15:27 (permalink)
    How is the group string sounds on this unit, especially compared to Dimension pro (not solo strings - but as sections of strings or many grouped together. THANKS!)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I want to give a heads up on the new Ketron SD4 that I received about a week ago and use with Sonar Producer. I want to start by saying that this is the updated or newer version of the Ketron SD2
    I'll start off with the connections. The SD4 gives you a lot more options than the SD2. First, it gives you two 1/4 left and right
    analog outs, two 5 pin midi ins and one 5 pin midi out. It also has a 1/4 stereo headphone out. These connections give you so much leeway to meet
    or match any configuration that is needed in any recording situation.
    With the SD4 you can have 3 layers of sounds and it includes 3GM banks of 128 sounds each, 32 drum sets and 82 grooves. There are also 128 presets
    that can be tweaked and configured by the user.
    There's also effects on the unit that can be activated and include Chorus, Distorsor, Delay, leslie Slow, and leslie fast. It also includes 2 dynamic
    operating ranges of low and high. You also have full control over the panning of each instrument. All these are accessible on the unit so you can define
    your sound before it gets printed in sonar saving resources.
    There's also an SD4 editor that can be downloaded which allows you to do realtime effect or parameter changes.

I found just like the Ketron SD2, the SD4 has remarkable and realistic sounds of orchestral instruments, bass and drum sounds. I still find it
    amazing how real they sound. I really can't put into words how real they all sound. It's like there's a violinist or saxaphone player playing
    right in front of me.
    My favorite thing to do with this unit is to layer 3 sounds, pan them all different and add some effects. Then, I just trigger the sounds with my
    midi keyboard (axium 49). I have my own personal orchestra that will do anythnig I ask....
    I'm still just hitting the surface with the SD4, but I'm so amazed in how it gives authenticity to your song or project that are produced in Sonar

Heres a link http://ketron.com/itemdetails.asp?mod=SD4
    Cj

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2009/01/09 20:22:23 (permalink)
    The ketron SD4 can have 3 instruments palying at one time. The presets with a group of 3 strings sound excellent to me. dim pro doesnt even compare in my opinion and this is just my opinion.

I have a song that has some violyns in the chorus. Im almost done with it. The music part is done and im writting lyrics to it now. I should have it ready in about 10 days or so.
    Cj
    Edit, n the group ones. you can control each instrument s volume, reverb and so on. Thats what i liike about that
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2009/01/09 20:26:19

Audio Blog
    deswind
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 952
    RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2009/01/09 20:24:17 (permalink)
    Great. I will look forward to it.
    THANKS,
    AB
    varranger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2010/04/27 22:06:43 (permalink)
    Hello,

I want to inform you that a new arranger software is here for the Ketron SD2 / Ketron SD4
    http://www.varranger.fr

Regards,

Dan

CJaysMusic
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2010/04/27 22:15:20 (permalink)
    Can you make it in English??

Audio Blog
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2010/04/28 00:05:31 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Can you make it in English??

http://translate.google.c...%2Fwww.varranger.fr%2F

software looks in English

varranger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2010/04/28 12:16:19 (permalink)
    Yes software is in english

Dan
    ChetForce
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2014/04/02 21:21:10 (permalink)
    I am a newby here and it's been some time since this thread opened.  Perhaps your still around and can help.  Over the years I've had several Ketron Units.  Prior to the SD4, they have a X4 which also has two sound modules.  I could insert a system Exclusive message in a midi file and I could select a voice from module 2 and using my guitar the sounds would change to where ever I placed the SysEx message.  I have not been able to figure out how to do that on the SD4.  I want to change the preset voice for example from guitar to sax in the middle of the midi.  I am not having much luck with the manual....   Hope you can shed some light on that for me...  Thanks  Chet
    ChetForce
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: RE: Sonar and the Ketron SD4 2014/04/02 21:21:19 (permalink)
    I am a newby here and it's been some time since this thread opened.  Perhaps your still around and can help.  Over the years I've had several Ketron Units.  Prior to the SD4, they have a X4 which also has two sound modules.  I could insert a system Exclusive message in a midi file and I could select a voice from module 2 and using my guitar the sounds would change to where ever I placed the SysEx message.  I have not been able to figure out how to do that on the SD4.  I want to change the preset voice for example from guitar to sax in the middle of the midi.  I am not having much luck with the manual....   Hope you can shed some light on that for me...  Thanks  Chet
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1