Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets?

Author
rpmfd
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2010/07/18 09:00:25 (permalink)

Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets?

Ok, first I'll say, I'm new to sonar and that I maybe I'm missing something in the program. I finally got things set up and working properly and I began my first project. I mainly use the staff view to began a project and map out ideas. Here are some of my questions:

1. What's with triplets? Sonar seems to not understand. That is, if I wish to only enter the last 2 notes of a triplet, leaving the first triplet note as a rest, sonar gets ignores it as a triplet and makes the notation very weird. Definitely not something I could print and give to a musician.

2. Does it end with triplets?  There are no other tuplets I can use? I can't see how that's possible for a music notation program.

3. Can I not chose which enharmonics I want to use? or how to notate my score. Sonar uses tie notes for everything. It's very ugly.

Also, I'm using sonar studio, if that makes a difference.

16 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 09:14:42 (permalink)
    I cannot fully answer you question, but remember reading about limitations in staff view about triplets. Many are wishing for extensions in this field.

Don't expect full notation program features in Sonar staff view.

Possible workaround - work in your notation program and import midi file into Sonar later.
    rpmfd
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 09:51:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I can't find anything in sonar about this. Thanks

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 12:36:50 (permalink)
    If you bought Sonar for notation, you wasted your money. Most people who like to use notation have to use another  product like Sibelious or Finale. I use Finale. Notation problem solved. Of course, I have Finale long before Sonar came along.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 12:50:49 (permalink)
    Sonar is an audio production program first and foremost. It provides minimal level of notation, enough for a rough lead sheet to be handed to a rock band member. It was never intended for anything more advanced than that, apparently, and for over a decade, at least, it hasn't changed. Cakewalk doesn't appear too interested in investing much effort into upgrading the Staff View, but they did send out an extensive survey a year ago or so, so who knows? Some of us have expectations for Sonar 9, but we aren't holding our breath.

For any notational needs as "advanced" as yours (I say that poking fun at Sonar, not you), you'll need a program focused on quality notation such as Sibelius or Finale, as has been mentioned above. Both companies have entry level programs in the $100 range or you can move up to their topline versions for several times that amount.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    rpmfd
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 14:27:54 (permalink)
    Ok, granted I should have done my homework before buying sonar. But in it's ad campaign, it did toot itself as being made for composers. Oh something about scoring with ease, and printing professional scores out. I can see it not being a finale, but to not even be able to handle triplets is a bit silly, given it's been around for so many years.  How can a musician live with out triplets? I don't know much about cakewalk but, is it made for electronic musicians and rappers and others who don't know much about music?
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 15:46:13 (permalink)
    You might try exploring the piano roll view. I routinely use 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 note triplets with no problems.
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 18:32:42 (permalink)
    rpmfd

Ok, granted I should have done my homework before buying sonar. But in it's ad campaign, it did toot itself as being made for composers. Oh something about scoring with ease, and printing professional scores out. I can see it not being a finale, but to not even be able to handle triplets is a bit silly, given it's been around for so many years.  How can a musician live with out triplets? I don't know much about cakewalk but, is it made for electronic musicians and rappers and others who don't know much about music?

I'd say it's made more for modern pop/rock/dance musicians who usually compose via MIDI or by recording audio directly from an instrument or microphone. I suppose you could call them 'others who don't know much about music' in a lot of cases but I think many of us who do know a fair amount about music still don't find traditional notation the preferred way to write a piece. For example, I find the piano roll more logical because it's not biased towards diatonic scales and 4/4 like traditional notation is. I appreciate that if you have a strong background in reading standard notation then you would want a tool that supports that, which is reasonable. Sadly Sonar isn't exactly that tool.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/18 20:29:55 (permalink)

Ok, granted I should have done my homework before buying sonar. But in it's ad campaign, it did toot itself as
    being made for composers.

Yeah, well the majority of so-called "composers" today don't even know how to read notation. They take audio loops and glue them together, put a "vocal" on top of it and call it a day.

If you are a "real" composer, meaning you actually put notes on a staff, then get Finale, Sibelius or Notion and get on with it. If you don't have a big budget, get Finale Printmusic. It has a lot of advanced features for about $100.

The staff view in Cakewalk is good for taking a MIDI file or track and editing it and fixing note or timing errors.

One of my top ten rules in life is "All advertising is lies." Go with that and it will serve you well.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/07/18 20:31:36

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/19 18:58:17 (permalink)
    Yea Sonar does lack a little on the score department, go into the piano roll and enter there, then go back into the score and see if it looks right.

Sonar Forever, Protools Never.

The Doctor....Hash
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/20 09:18:05 (permalink)
    As a guy who prefers to work in music notation I don't feel you wasted your money on Sonar.  I really wish Sonar would upgrade notation,  but on the other hand,  you can not get Sibelius or Finale to sound anywhere near as good.  So as someone mentioned earlier,  do your score in a notation program then import a midi file or recreate your composition in Sonar.
    bmdaustin
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/20 11:39:16 (permalink)
    +1 with Jimbo. It really is a case of "horses for courses". If your final goal is an audio product, Sonar is the best tool. If your final goal is a printed product then Sibelius or Finale is what you need. There is crossover between the two, but Sonar can't come close to professional notation requirements and Sib and Finale can't come close to the MIDI/audio features required for top notch audio production. Both areas are so specialized that any app that did both at pro levels would be prohibitively expensive and cumbersome. Not that there isn't room for improvement in both areas with these apps, but neither is going to supplant the other.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/20 22:58:33 (permalink)
    This is an interesting thread. I see people talking about "real composer" or "wanabees" etc. That's been my big beef lately. There are few "real composers" out there anymore anyway. Go to a movie and listen to what the music is doing. Unless it's John Williams or someone as good as he is, it's just not that great.

What I mean is this. Listen to what Williams does. There is motion all over the orchestration. The lower instruments have moving lines different than the higher instruments and everything in between has their own motion. His stuff is interesting. Then there are movies where they have nice melodies but the music or their ability to make it, is just plain LAME! All they have with the melody is chordal accompaniment. Here and there that's fine but the whole way through?

So, where are the "real composers" anymore?

Sorry for getting off topic here but this thread kept bothering me. Why would anyone want to mess with stupid little lines on a PRV instead of just putting in the notes? I gotta hand it to you folks that do though. It is far more time consuming.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/20 23:18:18 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

Why would anyone want to mess with stupid little lines on a PRV instead of just putting in the notes? I gotta hand it to you folks that do though. It is far more time consuming.

There's a lot more to the PRV than "stupid little lines". I have a few years of formal musical theory classes behind me and I have no problem at all writing out anything I want in notation but there are a lot of advantages to using the PRV. Any "music" you want to compose you can do just as easily, if not easier, in the PRV than you can in the staff view. The PRV is actually much easier and more accurate once you get used to it. It might be easy for you, and others, to dismiss it because it isn't what you like to use but for those who are willing to spend the time and familiarize themselves with it there are are many advantages. And it isn't like people have to choose one or the other. For those that prefer the staff view but have problems entering some subdivisions, like small increment tuplets and rests, Using the PRV can quickly straighten those problems out. The PRV may not get much respect around here but it's my note entering mode of choice and I couldn't be happier with the results.
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/21 09:11:50 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

This is an interesting thread. I see people talking about "real composer" or "wanabees" etc. That's been my big beef lately. There are few "real composers" out there anymore anyway. Go to a movie and listen to what the music is doing. Unless it's John Williams or someone as good as he is, it's just not that great.

What I mean is this. Listen to what Williams does. There is motion all over the orchestration. The lower instruments have moving lines different than the higher instruments and everything in between has their own motion. His stuff is interesting. Then there are movies where they have nice melodies but the music or their ability to make it, is just plain LAME! All they have with the melody is chordal accompaniment. Here and there that's fine but the whole way through?

So, where are the "real composers" anymore?

Sorry for getting off topic here but this thread kept bothering me. Why would anyone want to mess with stupid little lines on a PRV instead of just putting in the notes? I gotta hand it to you folks that do though. It is far more time consuming.

Not to hi-jack the thread any further...the real composers are there.  I see and meet them all the time.  USC and Berkeley are spitting them out every year. In fact there might be too many.  It is the market place that is cause of the trouble.  The over niched, disposable,  give it to me now for less than it's worth,  market place.

It warms my heart to have threads where people want more notation features.  Working with a score is the only way to get a great piece of music for a large ensemble.   And the next "John Williams" is there.... just waiting for an opportunity.   As I have said, I have meet many talented composers.   Not so many film producers.
    post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2010/07/21 09:15:15
    bmdaustin
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/21 10:24:13 (permalink)
    Film music is a very specialized niche in music, subject to many outside factors beyond the composer's wishes. A film composer is much like a tailor - he's creating a product, a very specific product, for a client, and that client has a budget as well as final creative control. Like game music composition, which is closely related, composing is often the least of what a film/media composer deals with.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    rpmfd
    Re:Sonar, composition, and things like tuplets? 2010/07/21 17:55:35 (permalink)
    I'm the op. Interesting points from all you guys. I wouldnt expect sonar to invest in a notation program that would rival that of a finale but, all divisions of music including tuplets should be part of it. Expression, legato, pizzicato, etc. can be handled through the right plug-ins, no? I can write parts for instruments by looking at the parts it will juxtapose with, and for me, I can do this quickly and keep the creative process flowing. What I think would be ultimate, would be to enter music in notation form and then be able to alter it "post notation". Even if the symbols were ornamental (crescendo, palm mute, whatever) the data could be manipulated to taste and the notation could be "locked in" and ignored by any manipulation when a user chose to. It's not just about being able to print music, I've spent a lot of time studying music and instruments, and when I look at notated music, the "next idea" is always possible. I know most people don't work this way but, it would be nice to have a little advancement in this department.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1