Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same point.

Author
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
2017/03/15 03:02:03 (permalink)

Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same point.

Doing post work on  a set of multitrack video/audio recordings. When I move to a certain part of the timeline towards the end, hit play, and Sonar says bye bye and it won't open again without rebooting the computer. (I have gone deeper into task manager and ended the program and that seemed to work but not the standard place in task manager where you end program. Normally I would just start a new file and copy everything and I will do that now as it seems I have no choice (extensive time sucking) but wondered what else it can be.

PS What I am doing in the meantime is open up my backup which doesn't have my tweaks/plugs/etc. and just working on the songs that I couldn't process (only two left.) This seems to be working, but of course an inconvenience for the video person as i can't do one long render for timings sake. C'est la vie.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol

4 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same poin 2017/03/15 15:02:33 (permalink)
    Hi Michael - 
    I see you are using an 1818vsl. There were some terrible compatibility issues with Windows 10 - Presonus went to a Universal driver model, and essentially abandoned the Virtual Studio Live (VSL) software aspect of the product in the process. Maybe you know all this - and assuming you are still using Windows 8.1 - I wonder whether some driver incompatibilities are beginning to creep in as MS is updating W8 as well. I have my own 1818 working fine at modest latency (W10 here) but only after doing a firmware update, and two separate updates, ultimately to the current universal driver posted on the Presonus website and abandoning the VSL software in the process. Not the sort of thing to undertake in the middle of a project however - but if it were me I would be suspicious about the audio interface and its driver as a potential culprit.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same poin 2017/03/15 16:46:35 (permalink)
    I too have an 1818VSL and it works fine in Windows 10, using the current driver from their site.  Michael also has Windows 8.1 listed in his signature, and the interface worked fine in Win 8.1 for me.

I would suspect some plugin loaded in the project is having a bad hair day, or possibly some project file corruption.  

You can try loading the project in Sonar's Safe Mode - skipping any plugin load - and then try moving around in the project to see if it works (don't save it that way, it is just to test out the removal of plugins on the issue of crashing).

The other suggestion I have is for you to create a new project folder, named something similar to your project, then create a sub-folder called Audio, then open the project normally, and then do a Save As, to that new project folder you created - checking the box to copy all audio to the new project's folder, naming the project file the same as its folder's name, for consistency.  That might correct some kinds of data corruption from the original project file.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same poin 2017/03/15 17:13:56 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    You can try loading the project in Sonar's Safe Mode - skipping any plugin load - and then try moving around in the project to see if it works (don't save it that way, it is just to test out the removal of plugins on the issue of crashing).

Bob - per his title, he is getting crashing even in safe mode, removing all plugins...

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Sonar crashes even after opening in Sonar safe mode removing all plug-ins at same poin 2017/03/15 19:34:44 (permalink)
    could it be related to the video format? there are some video users around the forum who might know, maybe add "video" in the subject to get their attention

just a sec

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1