Helpful ReplySonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jonogrant
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
2016/01/06 22:29:20 (permalink)

Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016

Hello! I am returning once again to see if anyone can help resolve a persistent issue in Sonar (X1,X2,X3 or Platinum)

I am a composer for TV and film. I use Sonar. People send me MP4s and Quicktime files. These files import and open in Sonar but when I export audio from those sessions, they do not sync perfectly in other programs when using the same video file. They are off by up to a frame and a half  (The difference varies slightly in the different Sonar versions) - 

I test the same thing using ProTools and Sony Vegas without Sonar and there are no sync issues. Frame accurate sync when exporting and importing audio from the MP4 or quick time file back and fourth between those programs.

If I do the test in Sonar using an AVI file, I don't get the problems. Any exported audio syncs up perfectly in the other programs, so it's an issue with MP4/Quicktime files or the codecs used to create them.

Sonar seems to have a problem importing the MP4 or QT correctly on the time line so even though Sonar's time display and the burn-in time display on the video file are locked, Sonar exports any audio up to a frame and a half late. I'm having to manually resync any audio I create in another program before I can deliver it if I want it in perfect sync. 

- It is not a basic thing I'm overlooking in my setup (frame rate, sample rate etc)
- A half frame/1.5 frame out is not acceptable in film/tv audio (frame accurate is necessary) 
- Yes, I have looked into Codecs and don't seem to have any other problems. Although Sonar might prefer different codec packs, I've tested a bunch: Shark0007 K-Lite etc. All have same results
- I have tested this in every way possible, on different machines and with different versions of Sonar (post X)

*If someone out there has an advanced user/outside-the-box idea of what to try I would be forever grateful!
 PLEASE HELP!!!! And thank you!

Jono Grant (Film and TV Composer)
Intel Core i7 3930K CPU @ 320 GHz, 32 GB RAM,
Windows 8 (64 bit) . {3 X MOTU 2408 MK3} Asus mboard.
550 GB SSD system drive and 3 - 2TB SATA drives.
Sonar Platinum x64 
dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/06 23:00:12 (permalink)
I am a film composer too and have always just used AVI files because sonar seemed to like them better
I kept hoping that sonar would get better using QuickTime and mp4 files as time went by and we got new updates
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/06 23:02:24 (permalink)
dannyjmusic
I am a film composer too and have always just used AVI files because sonar seemed to like them better
I kept hoping that sonar would get better using QuickTime and mp4 files as time went by and we got new updates

Indeed, SONARworks best with native Windows format. Also AFAIK Apple has still not created a 64-bit Quicktime for Windows. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/06 23:35:27 (permalink)
Yes, AVIs always work great. But I have no time to convert the many hours of files i'm workin on. I need to "load and go" so to speak. They are also much larger in file size. MP$s do work now if you have LAV codecs etc. but this little sync issue persists. 

True that QuickTime 64 bit for windows isn't out, that made me think for a sec.. but... I don't have the issue inside ProTools (I have to deliver some shows in protools) or Sony Vegas when using MP4 or QT. It's got something to do with Sonar somehow.   

If anyone has an mp4 kicking around and wants to try loading it up in sonar, export a bit of the audio (BCW for ease) and reopen that audio with the original video in another DAW or Vegas etc. I'd be interested to see if anyone else notices the same problem. (The audio you export will be a little later when compared to the original MP4s audio inside another program. 
Thanks

Sonar Platinum x64 
NeoSoul
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 11:10:01 (permalink)
AVI isn't an acceptable video format, this is 2016.

I have nothing to add other than I really hope Sonar provides more attention to modern VIDEO production.  I do weekly work having to export out of Sonar then into another video program that can actually work with real video.  
djtrailmixxx
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 11:20:48 (permalink)
In my recent experience, Sonar Plat likes .wmv files best.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 11:44:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markyzno 2016/01/22 02:19:39
SONAR is also using Microsoft's new media platform, which hasn't fully matured. Some users have better results switching to the older video engine. 

I do know that Cakewalk is working with Microsoft on video, we'll see what transpires...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 12:16:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DrLumen 2016/01/07 12:34:22
really, as much as i love sonar, it is a daw, not a video editor.

i use vegas for sync-type things. if i'm doing dialogue unless there are issues i can probably do all i need in vegas, i have many of the same plugins available. i'll bring a problem clip into sound forge if its really bad. 

i use sonar to work on individual music tracks (bedding) and when i need 1:22 of a song with vocals, i'll export 1:45 and make my cuts and sync in vegas.

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
NeoSoul
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 12:26:42 (permalink)
dlion16
really, as much as i love sonar, it is a daw, not a video editor.

i use vegas for sync-type things. if i'm doing dialogue unless there are issues i can probably do all i need in vegas, i have many of the same plugins available. i'll bring a problem clip into sound forge if its really bad. 

i use sonar to work on individual music tracks (bedding) and when i need 1:22 of a song with vocals, i'll export 1:45 and make my cuts and sync in vegas.

It isn't about actually making edits to a video in Sonar (or at least not in my case, though that would be wonderful).

The fact that Sonar can't properly import and export industry standard type of files synced to the audio you have added is a pretty major shortcoming.  

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Tutorial8.1.html

The seemingly supported formats are Standard Def stuff that were obsolete years ago.  

jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 13:37:47 (permalink)
I use Sonar as a DAW not a video editor, it doesn't do anything with video except play it. Even if you try to change the start time of the video it will likely crash.  

A great portion of DAW users are working with video, whether they are TV/film/game composers/sound designers or just people making youtube videos. Sonar should really take the time to ensure they are not behind the other DAWs when it comes to video and other basic functions. They clearly are. I think Sonar would only acquire more customers if they worked on these issues.

I think many Composers/sound designers pass on Sonar because of limited integration of professional and proper:
- Video 
- Score editor (not to change topic but the score editor is practically useless and getting worse)
- Midi functions that are important in film music: better control over tempo mapping, changing tempo without affecting midi etc. just to name a couple.
- Recording latency while using plugins  

Too much effort is being put into adding native plugins and soft synths that don't compete with third party ones that most professionals use anyways. They really need to get the basics working first. How hard can it be to look at these issues? This isn't someone ranting about the colors of the audio clips or nitpicking about small UI design features, these are things that separate Sonar from industry standard DAWs. Look at how many 3rd party utilities like UAD won't even add Sonar to their list of compatible programs, even though it is compatible.    

SONAR ROCKS, NOT PUTTING DOWN SONAR! But seriously, don't negate your pro users! Heck, make it work, charge more for it! (okay, I didn't say that...)      

Sonar Platinum x64 
Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 14:41:42 (permalink)
I'm another one of those people who uses SONAR and Vegas. SONAR will never do what Vegas can do, and Vegas will never do what SONAR can do. So, I don't expect to export a video from SONAR. I import the video from Vegas, create the score to it in SONAR, then export only the audio and import it into Vegas, where there are all the export options I would ever need.

It would be convenient if SONAR paid more attention to video, and I'm confident Microsoft will nail down the loose ends on their Media Foundation platform eventually. However, the option to attract more pro video people is relatively limited because they're locked into Pro Tools for film and to some extent with TV, Digital Performer. The market for video with more relaxed specs (e.g.. YouTube videos) is growing and SONAR addresses those needs perhaps not elegantly, but sufficiently for now...with the expectation that there will be improvements in Windows. Meanwhile, at least for my needs the Vegas/SONAR combination is tough to beat.

jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 15:28:19 (permalink)
Anderton
I import the video from Vegas, create the score to it in SONAR, then export only the audio and import it into Vegas, where there are all the export options I would ever need.

Craig, yes, that is exactly what I do as well!
However, the music you create in Sonar will be slightly out of sync when you bring it back in to Vegas (or any other program) to marry it back to the video file. (If the video file is an MP4 or QT file) It's hard to tell unless you do certain tests as it's only out by a frame or so. As you know, even if it were only off by a "sample" you would get phasing/flanging problems if any duplicate audio were playing simultaneously.  

My test: I will open an MP4 in sonar, export a bit of the dialogue out as a broadcast wave. Then import it into vegas against the same video file to check it. It will be out of sync with the original dialogue.

Currently, I have to slide my score audio in Sonar (70 ticks earlier) before creating a broadcast wave if I want it to sync up. (It will still be out by half a tick, but I can't get a smaller slide resolution in Sonar) *This amount differs between different versions of Sonar (X1,X2,X3,Plat) just slightly.

The sync difference is consistent throughout the session as if there is a small amount of "padding" before the mp4 starts in Sonar. Even audio that is at the very beginning of the file will have the same offset as audio from the end of the file.
Again, this does not happen when using uncompressed video files such as AVI. I have found issues with WMV as well.
Bottom line is: everyone uses MP4, QT etc. these days and normally comes from the Mac world.
Thanks     

Sonar Platinum x64 
Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 16:39:35 (permalink)
Very helpful, thanks! I've never noticed the issue because in my world, nothing is being combined with a video's existing audio track...all audio (narration or music) is being generated in SONAR and added to the video, or looped to replace audio (thank you VocalSync).

However, your last post piqued my interest so I "asked the internet" and found multiple threads about padding and desync issues with MP4s and some conversion options. I'm going to try your test and see if there's any way to mitigate the issue.

Just out of curiosity did this happen with the old MS video engine? Come to think of it...did it even support MP4?

Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 17:20:32 (permalink)
Okay...it just got weirder. Try this test, and let me know what you find.

1. Create a project in Vegas (I used Vegas 12).
2. Render it as an MP4; leave the project open.
3. Bring the MP4 into that project.
4. Compare the start time of the audio in the rendered video compared to where the audio starts in the project itself. 

When I did this, they did not line up; the audio in the MP4 was later. So even when using Vegas to render a file, then bringing that file directly back into Vegas, there was a timing issue with the audio.

If I rendered only the audio in Vegas as WAV or FLAC, then brought it back into Vegas and compared it to the audio in the project, they lined up perfectly. If I rendered only the audio as MP3, then brought it back into Vegas and compared to the audio in the project, it was late (later than the MP4 audio). When I brought the MP4 into SONAR, rendered only the audio, and compared it to the original audio in the project is was also late (somewhat more than the MP3).

So it seems any rendering to a lossy format, no matter how minimal, affects timing whereas rendering into a lossless format does not. This only partially explains why bringing in SONAR's audio is later than the MP3, but I suspect that if there's an issue that occurs while encoding (e.g., as happened with the MP3) there more be even more of an issue if encoding and decoding (e.g., as happened with SONAR's audio). This may explain dannyjmusic's comment about SONAR liking AVIs better; apparently Vegas likes uncompressed formats better too, and would also explain the various threads about desync issues with compressed formats like MP4.

One more tidbit: It seems the offset occurs when importing into SONAR, not exporting. So in addition to the time added at the beginning of the audio due to exporting from Vegas, there's additional time added due to importing into SONAR. This tends to support my suspicion that issues happen during both encoding and decoding. If I render the audio from the MP4 imported into SONAR then bring it back in to SONAR, it lines up perfectly with the imported MP4 audio.

jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 17:25:30 (permalink)
I think I first noticed the sync issue in 2015 sometime, but as you say, H.26X codecs haven't opened in Sonar until sometime in 2014 I think. I used Sorenson 3 QuickTimes or Mjpeg in the past and never had sync issues. Perhaps I did have the issue though and just didn't notice. When Sonar started playing MP4s I think I was just so glad that I didn't have to convert the video files to get them to open in Sonar any longer that I didn't think to check. 

My guess is it probably has been like this ever since Sonar started working with MP4 but nobody ever noticed. I think I only discovered this by accident because I had brought some dialogue back into Vegas from Sonar and noticed the sync was out. Perhaps since newer versions of Windows came along (8 and so on) I'm still on Win 8. I'm gonna test on my son's machine as he's on Window 10. Not sure when the MS vid engine changed, was it Win 8?

Anyhow, if you also have any sync issue after testing please post! My work around at this point is to just do the test I mention above, but slide the audio back a little each time to see exactly how much it's off; (70 ticks in my case), then apply that slide before exporting any final BCW cues. I'll look into some of the conversion options you mention above.
Cheers  

Sonar Platinum x64 
Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 17:30:26 (permalink)
I'm using Windows 10...but even if the import issue in SONAR is fixed, that won't fix the export problem in Vegas that adds silence to the beginning of the rendered audio.

jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 17:54:37 (permalink)
Yes, the export/import in and out of Sonar, always syncs back to the mp4. The problem only occurs when bringing the audio into a different program like vegas.

I did your test just now and yes, they were out of sync, just enough to flange. But I think any compressed format export has the potential to change a little, I would forgive that. My score cue exports are always wave files so they are uncompressed, they should match the same video file in vegas.

And still, if I test this in ProTools 10, all is fine back and fourth from vegas. Sonar's video container is somehow not displaying the video at the correct start time or something. There is no drift issue. If it's all good and consistent between protools and vegas I doubt it has to do with the video being rendered at a lossy format and more Sonar's ability to work with them properly.  

Also, as I mentioned before, the MP4s I'm using have visual time code burn in, and it displays the same thing as Sonar's clock! Yet if I have a beep at 01:05:00:00 in sonar, the visual timecode says the same thing as the sonar counter but if I bring that beep into vegas and line it up to the same VISUAL code, it doesn't sync to picture the same way!!! I find that the weirdest of all!

Sorry if this post is a little scattered... 

post edited by jonogrant - 2016/01/07 18:36:53

Sonar Platinum x64 
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 18:16:17 (permalink)
I have no trouble running MP4s in Sonar Platinum. It will as long as one has the right codec to run it. If you install K-Lite mega codec pack Sonar will run any video format that K-Lite supports.

Best
John
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 18:23:30 (permalink)
Thanks John, the issue isn't playing the files. I have k Lite and Shark etc...  the issue pertains to sync after exporting audio from sonar and then re syncing again to the same vid file in other programs

Sonar Platinum x64 
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 19:44:47 (permalink)
I should also note that if I have an MP4 with a burned-in visual time code on it, and it's first frame visually indicates a time code of, let's say 01:00:00:00, when imported to Sonar, the first frame of video I see has a visual time code of 01:00:00:01. So I can see why any exported audio will be late when synced back up to the original mp4 in vegas. 

What is Sonar doing with that first frame from the MP4? (and it's not the length of a frame it's a frame and 3 ticks...)
In Vegas and Protools, the first frame I see on the visual code is 01:00:00:00 as it should be.     

Sonar Platinum x64 
Anderton
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 22:03:30 (permalink)
I think the bottom line is SONAR, Windows, or both need to handle MP4s better. It would also help if Vegas didn't pad the beginning of the file when exporting, otherwise when exporting MP4 from Vegas and importing the same file back into Vegas (no SONAR involvement at all) the audio wouldn't be late when imported. 

jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 22:51:57 (permalink)
How late is your mp4 to mp4 test in vegas? Mine was barely a quarter frame.

Sonar Platinum x64 
Ibanez Laney
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 22:58:17 (permalink)
I am a bit confused as to why this is causing a problem.

Years ago I did a lot of audio for TV/Film.

A quick rundown of how we operated is:
I would get given the capture which contained audio captured by the camera and a separate track of the proper audio capture. 
I would line up the clapper board spikes from each in the DAW and edit the audio.
Then once the audio was processed (Some EQ, compression and volume adjustments) and any music needed was recorded (Music was done in a separate project) it was given to the editors who would place the music as they wanted it.
To fit it all back to the video they would simply align the clapper spikes on the main audio.

They would then render it all together - then edit that cut down to remove the clapper, do titles / credits etc etc.
Then you had the finished product. Always perfectly in sync.

The whole 'TAKE ONE SCENE ONE - CLAPP!!!' thing is just for this purpose.
To create an Audio spike in both the camera and main audio for alignment which is done during final edit.
If you are doing the audio after the final edit - then you're doing it the wrong way.

So something exporting even 2498 frames out of sync shouldn't matter if your procedures are correct.

i7 2600k, 1 x Nvidia 970 + 1 x 560ti, 16GB RAM, 5TB of Spinning Thingys, Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56 + lots and lots of cables. Sooo many cables.. I think they are breeding.
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/07 23:44:38 (permalink)
Sorry, not sure what your posting that info for. I know how to sync up two things. It's Sonar that doesn't! LOL

Sonar Platinum x64 
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/08 08:27:44 (permalink)
Hello, we'll take a look at this. I haven't noticed any sync issues with MP4 when I tested.
Can you provide a sample MP4 file and simple project that exhibits the problem? Put it on a file share and send me a link...

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/08 15:37:19 (permalink)
Thank you Noel!! File share link below and a description of the contents:

Here is a link to the various test files in a zipped folder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/483200/sonarsynctest.zip 

Included:
1. Short MP4 file
2. Screen shot of Sonar's clock vs burn-in time code clock not lining up
3. Wave file of audio exported out of sonar (from the mp4s audio track)
4. New MP4 rendered in Sony Vegas 12 with both the original audio and the sonar exported audio (I panned it to the opposite side, is out of sync)
5. Screen shot of the two audio files in vegas (out of sync)
6. Platinum bundle file of the session with the mp4

Comments:
First off, thank you Noel for having a look at this, I know you get many issues brought to your attention.

- The issue does not show itself within Sonar, the issue is the audio (score in this case) exported from Sonar and brought back into other programs like: (Sony Vegas 12 or ProTools 10 HD) I've also tested with Cubase 7.
You would need a second program to test out this issue as files exported out and then back in to Sonar sync up fine.

When a composer scores in Sonar, obviously his or her output needs to sync back up to the sessions in the film production house. They are generally on Pro Tools as you know. The wave files exported from a Sonar session containing an MP4 or QuickTime file (I'm assuming any compressed video file) will have some sort of padding at the top so that the exported audio plays late in relation to the audio in the original MP4s timeline. I'm using dialogue from the original MP4 to test this out. I believe the encoding on this MP4 was originally H.264. I have made my own MP4 for this test just to make the file shorter but I get the same result as on the original MP4.

The basic test I do is this: 
- Import MP4 into sonar, set the sample rate 48 KHz, bit depth 24, frame rate 23.97 and clock offset 00:59:52:00
- Export part or all of the audio out as a wave file or better, a Broadcast wave file
- Open the same MP4 in Vegas, Pro tools or any other pro program that handles video and audio
- Import the audio that was exported from Sonar into the other program.
- The audio will be out of sync with the original. (late by 3/4 frame up to 1.5 frames depending on the Sonar version)
- * Go through the bundle's time-line a bit and you'll notice the visual code and sonar's code are off, not consistently either. This is not the same in PT or Vegas, every frame lines up.

* If I do these tests between the other programs (not sonar) I get sample accurate sync as I should. I think this rules out Windows, the newer MS media platform, or any other third party technology. If it works in the other programs, why not Sonar? Something is odd about the way sonar imports these compressed video files into it's video container. There is no drift and the sync issue occurs right from the start of the file and is consistent to the end of the file.
Even if I get Sonar's clock to line up with the visual code on the MP4, any exported audio will have that padding and be out of sync when I re-sync it in another program. I should also mention that I've tested this with MP4s that have different frame rates, sample rates etc. and/or no clock offset, same issue. Everyone in the business is using mp4 and QuickTime during production these days so this would be a worth while improvement. This message is too long now, if you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks again!
JG 
post edited by jonogrant - 2016/01/08 15:54:29

Sonar Platinum x64 
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/08 16:03:51 (permalink)
Sonar does seem to permit configuring a "Start time" in the video track. It allows resolution to Sonar's tick level, which can be 1/480 of a quarter note. Of course project tempo will influence the exact time. Is this something that can be used during export as a workaround to correct the offset? I'm assuming this would be more convenient than bouncing an audio track then offsetting the audio. Also I'm assuming that there is no problem with "drift" over time, just the starting offset. Also, if that offset is different in every project, that is even more of a pain.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/08 16:31:09 (permalink)
Apparently:
"Adjusting a video clip’s start time is currently only supported when using the DirectShow video engine, not when using the Media Foundation video engine" *Thanks for the feature... that doesn't work! lol

I've tried simply altering the smpte clock offset to compensate among other things. I have workarounds but even with the tick resolution, it's not quite small enough to get the locked up tight. The other programs I test are SAMPLE accurate, so you can literally play two identical wave files at once and not have any phase or flange issues, it just sounds like one file playing. Sonar should be sample accurate, it is on all other levels, I think it's just something having to do with compressed video files. (currently I slide the audio 70 ticks earlier before exporting to get the closest sync possible)

Thanks 

Sonar Platinum x64 
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/09 00:26:04 (permalink)
Too bad about Media Foundation video engine. But about the 70 ticks, you should be able to slide the audio by samples. Of course you would need to zoom up and turn off snap.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
jonogrant
Re: Sonar issues with MP4 video files - Please help!! 2016 2016/01/09 00:51:18 (permalink)
Yes, by hand you can get in right to the sample if you zoom in and slide the file, no snap. I deal with too many clips in my score so I need a way to do it globally and consistently. So I use the slide feature set to ticks. It's pretty close. I shouldn't have to which is the things that bugs me...   

Not sure if it's a MF video engine thing either, I'm testing with other programs like protools and vegas without a problem. It's most likely sonar related

Sonar Platinum x64 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1