Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2018/02/02 15:55:11 (permalink)

Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip

Screencast says it all really:

As you can see, I have "snap to" selected, with the grid set to whole notes. Despite this, Sonar moves this clip as if "snap by" was selected. Indeed you can see that the clip is moved in exactly the same way whether "snap to" or "snap by" is selected. 

This is only happening on this particular track. If I move clips on other tracks, the snap setting works properly (actually there are around 150 tracks in the project so I haven't checked them all, but it's definitely not an issue affecting all tracks is the point). There is no "snap offset" on the clip. 

Has anyone else seen this? I literally cannot snap this clip to the grid now. For all of those skeptic about mine (and other's) claims that Sonar starts to introduce really bizarre behavior in large projects the more you work on them, this is a typical example of what I'm talking about. Noel dismissed the claim and suggested that all of my "weirdness" was due to plugin issues, but that clearly isn't the case with this problem. And I never see stuff like this in fresh projects. I guess I'm going to have to eyeball this clip position with snap turned off! Unless anyone knows how to fix it? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

6 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/02 16:43:35 (permalink)
    slip edit data ??? Try using bounce to clips.
    I would also try zooming in/out to see if that corrects your issue.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

sharke
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/02 17:51:24 (permalink)
    Yeah bouncing it to a clip fixes it, thanks. However I'm not ready to bounce this clip yet. Curious. Why would slip edit data cause this to happen? I have other similarly edited clips on other tracks and snap to works fine on them. As far as I know, regardless of what's beyond the clip boundaries, the edge of the clip should always snap according to the snap setting. 

Zoom levels didn't make a difference (and I don't have smart grid enabled, in case anyone thought that might be an issue). 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/02 20:01:07 (permalink)
    There is such a thing as "snap offset" as a clip property. I used it once and got confusing results. What if the snap offset is off the end of a trimmed clip? What if snap offset doesn't obey "to" vs "by". Since this applies to only one of your clips, see if the Clip Inspector shows non-zero for the Snap Offset field.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
    sharke
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/02 21:58:15 (permalink)
    bvideo
    There is such a thing as "snap offset" as a clip property. I used it once and got confusing results. What if the snap offset is off the end of a trimmed clip? What if snap offset doesn't obey "to" vs "by". Since this applies to only one of your clips, see if the Clip Inspector shows non-zero for the Snap Offset field.

As stated in the original post, there's no snap offset. I did think of that as well. 

James
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/03 02:29:46 (permalink)
    sharke
    Yeah bouncing it to a clip fixes it, thanks. However I'm not ready to bounce this clip yet. Curious. Why would slip edit data cause this to happen? I have other similarly edited clips on other tracks and snap to works fine on them. As far as I know, regardless of what's beyond the clip boundaries, the edge of the clip should always snap according to the snap setting. 

Your asking Sonar to read your mind. Its software, not artificial intelligence.
    Think about it, if I drag an audio clip in to Sonar and start moving the end of that clip, Sonar still sees that hidden slip data until I use "Bounce to clips" correct ? That's because the data is still there.

Its possible there is a difference in the way you and I both work. Im not afraid to commit to a 0.2 second clip by using the "Bounce to clips" function. That's what I always do before dragging and dropping, moving data around the TimeLine.
    Not sure if any DAW works that way. I'll try to repro it in Studio one later on tonight. That's what I've moved on to.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

sharke
    Re: Sonar treating "snap by" as "snap to" on a clip 2018/02/03 02:50:33 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    sharke

Think about it, if I drag an audio clip in to Sonar and start moving the end of that clip, Sonar still sees that hidden slip data until I use "Bounce to clips" correct ? That's because the data is still there.

Its possible there is a difference in the way you and I both work. Im not afraid to commit to a 0.2 second clip by using the "Bounce to clips" function. That's what I always do before dragging and dropping, moving data around the TimeLine.
    Not sure if any DAW works that way. I'll try to repro it in Studio one later on tonight. That's what I've moved on to.

chuckebaby
    sharke

I'm not asking Sonar to read my mind at all. I have no idea where you're coming from with that comment? Snap does not and should never work differently for clips that have been slip edited. Far from asking Sonar to read my mind, by slip editing a clip I have specifically and unambiguously told Sonar to redefine the logical bounds of that clip, after which I can treat that clip as a unit with its newly defined start and end points. A clip's position on the timeline is defined by the start of the clip, regardless of what data is hidden by the slip edit, and thus snap works on the start of the clip (or the end, depending on where I grab it from). Snap does not work on hidden data beyond the clip's boundaries. This screencast should illustrate: note that the clip start snaps to the grid (whole notes) regardless of whether or not I hide data with a slip edit. 

The hidden data outside of a slip edit is why I sometimes can't bounce to clip immediately. I've carved out a part of a larger clip, and at some point I might decide that I want to use a different part of the clip instead. So I'm just keeping my options open in the process of composition and experimentation. You're right, everyone works differently. 

I'm pretty sure Studio One will snap slip edited clips exactly the same way - my mind will be blown if you discover otherwise!

James
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1