Helpful ReplySonar vs. Pro Tools

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AJ_0000
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 738
2013/06/30 14:05:44 (permalink)

Sonar vs. Pro Tools

I've been a Cakewalk user since Pro Audio 8. I've recently started getting into Pro Tools as a necessity. I'm not posting this as a competition between the two, but rather as a comparison and source of suggestions to improve Sonar. 

There are areas where Sonar is better than Pro Tools. I'll list the main ones from my perspective:

1. Implementation of 64-bit. The PT11 release is a disaster at this point, with few plug-ins available for use so it's impossible to say how it will work out. Sonar has been at the forefront, and 64-bit implementation is excellent.

2. MIDI editing. Pro Tools MIDI editor is not horrible compared to Sonar's piano roll, but Sonar's Step Sequencer by itself is a huge advantage. Drum Maps and many other MIDI features in Sonar do not exist in PT. Not surprising given the history of the two products, Cakewalk starting out as a MIDI sequencer.

3. Included plug-ins. In this area Sonar blows PT away. The instruments, Pro Chanel, etc are far beyond the few things included with PT, and probably any other DAW. The only drawback is that I feel they may have focused too much on that aspect and neglected some other areas.

4. Visual appearance. Superficial, but important when you're staring at something for hours on end. I really like the color scheme of Sonar X2, the way waveforms are represented, etc. Pro Tools is like a glaring rainbow of non-pleasing colors. The darker scheme of X2 is much more cool looking and "soothing" to work with. 

This is where my wish list/suggestions come in. Keep in mind that it is my opinion, but I think these are valid points.

If Pro Tools had the features above, or even just the first two, I would probably switch to it permanently. The reason is that the workflow of editing and mixing in PT is much more efficiently laid out than it is in Sonar. The way tracks are displayed and the way you can manipulate them is much better. The drop-down minimize/maximize of Sonar is inferior to the multiple sizing options in PT. The end result is that you can get more tracks on the screen and access more of their functions more efficiently than you can in Sonar. The Group function in PT vs Track Folders in Sonar is not a huge difference for organization, but the ability to manipulate the views and parameters of whole groups in PT is a big advantage. The Mix Window vs Console View is slightly better in Sonar, but once again PT makes it easier to view a larger number of tracks at once without losing access to their essential parameters. The Inserts layout in PT is better than the FX Bin in Sonar. The routing of tracks is more flexible. The addition of take lanes and automation lanes in Sonar makes it comparable to PT, but as far as I know, there is nothing in Sonar like the playlist function in PT, which makes things like comping vocals infinitely more efficient. The way the transport, playback and recording work in PT feels much simpler and more efficient. If you have looped playback turned on, you select part of the timeline and it automatically starts playing back in a loop. Small features like that make a big difference in workflow.

In general, the overall layout of Sonar feels bloated and overcrowded compared to PT. The sticky windows in Sonar are a constant source of frustration for me. Cakewalk seems to be more focused on adding features, which is good, but in comparison it feels like PT has put a lot of thought into the core editing functions of the software, and making the workflow as efficient as possible.

This is far from comprehensive, but I hope it spurs some thought. It may not be as attention-grabbing as adding a new plug-in, but a focus on basic layout and functions with an eye towards simplification, intuitiveness and ease of editing should really be the primary focus of any DAW. I guess the simplest way to put it is that it feels like any given operation in Sonar takes several more mouse clicks than it takes to do the same thing in Pro Tools. They share a lot of features in common at this point, but it wouldn't hurt Sonar to steal more from them.
post edited by AJ_0000 - 2013/06/30 14:32:55
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2013/07/01 00:58:48 (permalink)
Although I've never used PT, its console view "looks" a little more efficient and well organized. Maybe you should send your views and suggestions through the official feature request page? Bakers might not have time to read all threads in this forum (although the topic title is eye-catching).

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2013/07/01 08:30:54 (permalink)
I completely agree about fitting more tracks on screen, but some of your other suggestions make it seem like you aren't using some features that sonar DOES have. Proper use of screen sets saves tremendous time and mouse clicks.
I also use both pt10 and x2. I do not agree that the insert layout is better or that the routing is more flexible. I prefer the organization of sonars busses and the fx bin that "grows with you".
I will concede that I've spent much more time using sonar and that that could account for the ease of workflow when compared to pt.
twaddle
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1967
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2013/07/01 10:38:41 (permalink)
My band was in the studio a few weeks back and it was my first real experience with pro-tools although from where I was sat
I couldn't see everything in detail and so didn't get really close up but I was really impressed at the speed at which the engineer was able to comp and edits tracks on the fly. It was completely seamless unlike sonar.
Obviously it's his job and he's bound to be a lot quicker than me but the gap-less audio seemed so smooth to me and something
I've never experienced with sonar despite cakewalks claims.

Steve

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
12GB Corsair DDR3 
1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
Emu- 0404 PCIe 
Sonar X1d Expanded
BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
AJ_0000
  • Total Posts : 738
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2013/07/01 12:09:06 (permalink)
What you can do in Pro Tools is loop record, then right click and send the takes to a playlist (which looks like Sonar's new Take Lanes). From there you can select individual phrases, audition the takes one by one in looped playback, and with the click of a button send them up to the main track. If Sonar has implemented that function, I've missed it.

In general, Pro Tools also seems more tightly coded and engineered. There is no bloat in the layout. It automatically found all of my plug-ins on install without directing it to a folder location, and it automatically organizes them by type (EQ, Dynamics, Modulation, etc). Plug-ins seem to run more smoothly (in RTAS, AAX is another matter) and the whole thing seems lighter on system resources.

Don't get me wrong, Sonar is a great DAW in many ways. For musicians, composers and anyone just starting out, it provides the most complete set of tools on the market. If you buy Sonar X2 Producer, you literally do not need to buy any other plug-ins or instruments (although Session Drummer is not too impressive) to do pretty much anything you want to do. You can make a complete, professional recording with what comes in the box. At times it seems it almost has too many options, making it hard to find what it is you want to do. Pro Tools is more streamlined.

Mainly, it's the audio recording and editing, layout and workflow where Pro Tools is better. Unfortunately, those are the core functions of a DAW.
post edited by AJ_0000 - 2013/07/01 12:20:11
Uncle John
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 17:07:27 (permalink)
Just had to jump in with my two cents. I just built a beast of a computer for audio work (Gigabyte Designare MB, i7-7820x CPU, 32GB DRAM, Thunderbolt 3, etc). As a long time Sonar user, I was a bit put off by the change in ownership to BandLab, but hey, I got the upgrade to Platinum for free. I also recently invested in some really good mics and a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII Thunderbolt interface, which improved my audio quality dramatically. Anyway, I decided to try Pro Tools out so I downloaded a free version of Pro Tools First. A total no-go after hours of exchanges with Avid and Universal Audio - installing/uninstalling, etc. So, then I thought, I'd go for the 30 day free trial of Pro Tools 11. Oh, wait! I need a $75 iLok just to "demo" their software without any assurance it will work on my setup. Apparently PT and the Apollo don't work so well together, according to Universal Audio, so, I'm staying with Sonar. I find it easy to work with after all these years (started with Digital Orchestra, so showing my age), and I see no reason to subject myself to the insanity that Avid has created, requiring huge investments of time and money buying new interfaces and trying to keep up with all their operating system restrictions. Sonar has worked seamlessly with every Windows operating system since Win95, has virtually unlimited tracks and learning the keyboard shortcuts and saving templates can improve work flow exponentially. Just my opinion, but Sonar is ideal for small project studios who don't have the budget that the large studios have to keep up with Avid.

Sonar Platinum - The Beast: Intel i7-7820x, Gigabyte Designare MB, 32GB DRAM with Thunderbolt 3. UA Apollo Twin MKII, Yamaha NS-A636 and M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B Speakers, Neumann U87ai, Audio-technica AT4033/SE, Blue Baby Bottle, Shure SM57 & 58, Yamaha Motif Rack, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Sony MDR7506 fonz for tracking, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro for mixing. Too many guitars & amps.
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 18:15:47 (permalink)
Hej AJ! Great post. You easily pointed out some of the essentials like efficiency and workflow when head to head the two DAWs from a mixing engineer's perspective.

One thing I hear a lot positives about Pro-Tools but never could wrap my head around are the playlists. Could you elaborate some more on them please? What is it so great about them and in what are they better than Take Lanes in Sonar/Cakewalk?

Another great example of simplicity and efficiency is when you grab clip gain in Pro-Tools and see the waveform changes instantly.
post edited by chris.r - 2018/05/17 23:05:53
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 19:28:29 (permalink)
If you don't need to open ProTools sessions and you can stand the feelings of inadequacy that is heaped upon you from every corner of the globe for not using ProTools then stick to Cakewalk. It's Far out man!

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 19:42:43 (permalink)
Pro Fools is nothing more than an over-priced 1980s style digital mixer and recorder...it is not a tool for composition. Whereas Sonar is designed for composition. I despise Pro Fools because it was foisted upon the industry by blue collar audio engineers who were/are stuck in some backwater time warp - where kids still play in bands and recording studios were on every corner. For me, who uses upwards of a 100 virtual plugins of differing varieties and who uses proper notation to compose via Notion, of which I import into Sonar for for further manipulation...I'd never have evolved as an engineer, producer and composer if I'd be infected by the Pro Fools bug. I'd still be strumming my acoustic guitar singing crappy 12 year old pre-pubesant love songs. Sonar's mix screen behaves like a mixer of old...not a grey battleship 80s digital desk. I always hated take lanes and playlists. I paint sound. So like a painter - even though I have work flow issues...i will record lines over the top of one another and mix and scrub as I go.

Neb

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
Daibhidh
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 20:19:59 (permalink)
As a composer that works with both midi and audio, I depend on Cakewalk. But I've been watching a lot of mixing videos on PureMix and the thing that really stood out as fantastic on protools is the Inserts layout. It is far better than the FX bin in Cakewalk. The pro-channel is great in Cakewalk, but the Inserts in protools are very tiny making it possible for multiple slots to 'always' be available, as opposed to expandable when needed in Cakewalk.

It means you can drag and drop so much easier and it makes templates very effective. I still would never switch to protools though. Cakewalk does what I need.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 20:57:22 (permalink)
I tried ProTools as that was most of what Nashville was using.  I had been using Sonar since V6.  I bought ProTools MP9 on a Sweetwater sale.  I had an MAudio interface so it was compatible with their closed system at the time.  I bought a suggested book to learn PT.  I just couldn't grasp or make sense of PT compared to Sonar.  If I would have really applied myself I could have learned it but since Sonar did everything I wanted, as a "digital tape recorder"  I didn't and dumped PT.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 22:49:34 (permalink)
Crap, I should have read the OP first... 5 year old thread here.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
chris.r
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/17 23:11:54 (permalink)
mettelus
Crap, I should have read the OP first... 5 year old thread here.

D'oh!

Though it didn't loose much weightiness over time...
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/18 01:02:15 (permalink)
Lol...who reads when a post has been posted...not me!

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/18 03:13:18 (permalink)
Pro Tools may be the industry standard, but that certainly doesn't mean it's the best.  In my opinion, it's getting left in the dust by pretty much every other major DAW brand.  Cakewalk has been my DAW of choice for a long, long time, so I'm biased.  I think it's the best.  Every DAW has its strengths and weaknesses, but I think Cakewalk offers the most balanced set of features.  

I believe the new industry standard for studios is likely to be StudioOne.  I know a lot of engineers have switched, and only go back to ProTools when a client demands it.   It has several things going for it that make it excel in a studio environment.  I personally appreciate the slick project manager for mastering.  

Cubase still seems to be the most popular choice for composers.  I think that's due to its numerous MIDI features, excellent score editor, and of course sheer reputation.

But for me, Cakewalk still beats them all.  That's a pretty audacious claim, but I don't make it lightly.  While it may lack the project manager in Studio One, most people still do their mastering outside the DAW anyway.  And although the score editor isn't nearly as full-featured as Cubase, it's adequate, and I can still export/import to/from my choice of notation software.  In almost every way, I find Cakewalk to offer the best of both worlds.  It's got a great workflow, good console, easy-to-access tools, flexible workspace, and creative "vibe".  A lot of that may stem from familiarity.  But I think it's more than that.  

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
chilldanny
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/18 20:30:54 (permalink)
Ah the topic that never dies!

For me (and as mentioned above), Pro Tools is a fantastic multitrack tape recorder in software form.  It's how I've always used it and it's been solid.

However, I cannot and will not edit and mix in it, it just doesn't fit with me.  This is where I've relied on Sonar, because for me it is a joy to work with in this regard.  And quite honestly, every regard.  When I'm being creative with loads of VSTi's, complex routing, fx chains and mixes, I use Sonar (now CbB) in conjunction with Ableton Live. I feel I can achieve everything I need to with ease which satisfies my creativity.  The same cannot be said with Pro Tools, it just isn't for me.  

Pro Tools will always be a tape recorder for me, and it performs that function very well.

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/21 23:33:45 (permalink)
I don't understand the issue witrh more tracks on the screen.  Use "narrow all strips" and you get plenty.   Not sure how its [possible to fit any more on screen that that.   I've used and mixed on protools and SONAR CBB busses and routing is WAY MORE intuitive and efficient.   As far a comping being seamless, I don't get that either.   YOu open the track and see the lanes and highlight what you want to hear and there it is inthe main curent track.   YOu can even do groups at once like drum tracks as long as you have grouping set and the tracks in a folder..  Granted, there are some bugs like the splintering that occurs but that easy to overcome and to me editting is as quick in sonar as it is in protools and like the original post said, sonar was first to have many of the features other DAWs are finally catching up to.   I would like to see VCA faders in SOnar /CBB.  It still baffles me why SONAR/ CBB doesn't have the huge following PT has.  I wouldn't trade even if I had to... oh yea, a few months ago I though I DID have too and while I did purchase Cubase at the amazing 255$ crossgrade price (just in case), I now have no desire at all to go that route

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/22 15:32:19 (permalink)
It doesn't baffle me at all why Pro Tools has a larger following. The incumbent typically has an advantage. Pro Tools built it's market lead via hardware.  Yes, there is hardware that will work well with Sonar/Cakewalk, but it pales in comparison to the high end products designed specifically to work with PT. Larger studios have typically had incentive to stay with PT because of investment in hardware optimized (and in some cases locked to ) Pro Tools. No one is replacing thousands in hardware to give another DAW a chance.  By the time there was hardware invented that was not proprietary , PT's lead was so huge that it is almost insurmountable.  The DAWs that have been more competitive did not do so by sim ply outdoing PT in the digital tape recorder department but in composition aspects. 
chris.r
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/22 15:55:23 (permalink)
@stxx I think the point in the original OP post was that he, like me, still likes Cakewalk, but when working on Pro-Tools he wished to have some of  the more seemlesly integrated features, like "loop points follow selection" here in Cakewalk. It's not about comparing the DAWs and pointing which one is better. And the point in my opinion concerns not only Pro-Tools vs Cakewalk, but other like SO1 or Live too. I think the reason why the other DAWs have better integration of some features, although Cakewalk/Sonar could have them first, is exactly this, they had more time for rethinking and implement them in an ultimate way. Why should that stop us from wishing we could have work done same great way here?

I used to say that I hate working in Cubase because of the "clickology". But we could have less clickology in Cakewalk also, enough to move some functions out of menus ("focus next/previous track" in prv, "modules" or "widen/narrow strips" in console) and place them, even in the menu bar, as one-click buttons.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/22 16:18:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2018/05/22 17:28:33
PT has also had a very long-standing push into education, and people will stay with what they are most familiar and adapt accordingly. Once enough time has been invested, it is very difficult to switch; similar to how Disney has marketed ("Get 'em while they are young, own 'em for life!"). I have spoken to students who have said "PT in class," so that paradigm still exists, and it will be a hard one to break since the instructors themselves would be unlikely to switch. Much more intelligent marketing than platform alone.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/05/22 17:32:07 (permalink)
mettelus
PT has also had a very long-standing push into education, and people will stay with what they are most familiar and adapt accordingly. Once enough time has been invested, it is very difficult to switch; similar to how Disney has marketed ("Get 'em while they are young, own 'em for life!"). I have spoken to students who have said "PT in class," so that paradigm still exists, and it will be a hard one to break since the instructors themselves would be unlikely to switch. Much more intelligent marketing than platform alone.

Ableton and Logic (and even Garageband) are getting a lot more classroom time now. Much easier to implement on schoolwide level than PT. I think for the future it bodes well for both.  
Daibhidh
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/14 10:47:53 (permalink)
stxx
I would like to see VCA faders in SOnar /CBB.

Cakewalk can use automation on all track faders and on buses, how is VCA different?
Are VCA faders just a hardware controller moving its faders in real-time?

Thanks for your time.
post edited by Daibhidh - 2018/06/14 11:42:26
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/06/14 11:51:45 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/06/15 10:50:50

Daibhidh
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/14 12:01:33 (permalink)
dj squarewave, Thanks!
chris.r
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/14 20:28:23 (permalink)
dj squarewave
Daibhidh

Cakewalk can use automation on all track faders and on buses, how is VCA different?
Are VCA faders just a hardware controller moving its faders in real-time?

VCA faders were originally hardware controllers, but are now also a concept in the virtual world of digital summing.

Often, when this question is asked, the inquirer responds to the answers with typified rebutals such as "can't the groups or busses do that already?"

This link provides a lot of answers to what may seem to be a simple question:

https://groups.google.com....audio.pro/0RihZ32k0kU

Right, but all they are talking about there are hardware mixers. Cakewalk offers very flexible grouping http://www.cakewalk.com/D...mp;help=Mixing.44.html where for example each fader added to the group automatically becomes a kind of VCA fader, even when controlled with hardware controller, and more. What is the point of a virtual VCA in a DAW then, other than loosing some pc monitor real estate? It is possible that I'm still missing something.
fwrend
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/14 20:44:19 (permalink)
This explains pretty simply use of VCAs:

VCAs

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/14 20:51:51 (permalink)
Logic Pro has VCA track strips, apparently they were introduced because ex-Pro Tools people wanted them because they were familiar things from Pro Tools.

In reality, as you say, they're yet another way of organising track faders into groups.

Some people like them, others don't see the point. One thing I've found they can be useful for is controlling a group of faders from MIDI effects - e.g. an LFO or two that do something that's to be applied to a group of tracks.

While it can be done by setting up a fader group then controlling one fader while the rest of the group move along with it it can be simpler from a user-interface point of view to create a VCA which controls the group and is the target of the MIDI commands. It also makes it possible to alter the individual faders in the group more easily in terms of workflow. But that's at least in part a consequence of how Logic handles MIDI, which is somewhat different to Sonar.

Put it this way - if VCA track faders didn't exist in Logic I wouldn't really miss them that much. If at all. Though as with all things others would no doubt disagree with me.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Frank Harvey
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/15 07:31:00 (permalink)
Gee,
This Thread Goes back to 2013
For my part, I must confess here that I lost control of my sensible mental functions for a short period after 17th Nov 2017.
Short story.......I signed up for a subscription to PTs.
Well.....at the time .....A pesky voice in my head was saying....."Get On-board with the 'Bigboys' "!
They will never 'Go Pear-Shaped' !!
In that mindset.....PTs might have captured me except for one quickly discovered, very annoying feature . 
This annoying feature, was in regards to my workflow.
I am sure there will be someone out there with a work around...but that's not the point.
I was led to believe PTs was the Bee's Knees of DAWs  (IF YOU COULD AFFORD IT)
I run on Windows 10.(Whatever)
PROBLEM:
Everytime I needed to minimize the PTs display, in order to work on something else, I could not return /Maximize and get on with my work.
Just ignored me every Time I clicked.
Had to close the program and reopen.
It would not MAXIMIZE.
A common problem if you Google it.
Does this sound like the Bee's knees of DAWs to You?
Anyhow,
Now expecting solutions to a problem I don't really care about anymore.
I have CbB now........... :)
Cheers......Frank

Sonar Platinum Lifer
Audio Interface: Focusrite 6i6 Gen 2
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm)II X4 630 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM :16.0 GB
System Type:64-bit Operating System , x64-based processor
Windows Edition: 10 Home
Windows Version:1709
OS Build :16299.125
Video:GEForce GTX 650
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/15 14:25:47 (permalink)
When I read the OP was using X-2 I knew something must be up. Didn't read the date of the post..duh.

The "get em' while their young" comment deserves a second look. CbB is doing just that.

PT adopted by educational institutions is one I'll partially disagree with. In light of shrinking funding for music in schools PT might begin to look less attractive, especially when each student can go home, download CbB and show up in class with it the next day. I would further argue that CbB is a great way to get into the workings of a DAW and learn about not just recording, but composition. 

I'm not one to topple the giant just because he's there. I mean if PT is doing it for you or your studio there isn't reason to change. OTOH the big PT studio as we know it is and has been bypassed by the masses for a long time.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

BJN
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2018/06/16 08:30:16 (permalink)
dubdisciple
It doesn't baffle me at all why Pro Tools has a larger following. The incumbent typically has an advantage. Pro Tools built it's market lead via hardware.  Yes, there is hardware that will work well with Sonar/Cakewalk, but it pales in comparison to the high end products designed specifically to work with PT. Larger studios have typically had incentive to stay with PT because of investment in hardware optimized (and in some cases locked to ) Pro Tools. No one is replacing thousands in hardware to give another DAW a chance.  By the time there was hardware invented that was not proprietary , PT's lead was so huge that it is almost insurmountable.  The DAWs that have been more competitive did not do so by sim ply outdoing PT in the digital tape recorder department but in composition aspects. 

I totally agree with you on this and to add to it, PTs grew up when computing power alone could not make it viable to run a Studio without the DSP hardware needed. It was the only real option but a few other DAWs also had DSP interfaces to help them compete.
If you knew the program you were in demand and when I say knew it, it was the on the fly editing skill that got you work while they were being punch recorded. Schools flourished.
Why change what you know, so it is stuck with.

Computing power has been enough for quite a while now without the need for DSP interfaces; other DAWs like Sonar have offered much more to gain a foothold and we have come to know and love them.

-------------------------------------------------------
Magic: when you feel inspired to create which in turn inspires more creation.

And the corollary: if magic happens inspiration might flog it to death with numerous retakes.
Bart Nettle
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1