Sonar vs. Pro Tools

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
sscannon
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 497
2007/01/24 03:56:04 (permalink)

Sonar vs. Pro Tools

If any of you have seen any of my posts, and I'm relatively new to this forum, you know I have "cross-graded" from PTLE to Sonar. Well, I actually have them both on the same PC, so I can use either one whenever I want.

Point is, Sonar sounds better. And I love not being artificially crippled by software and hardware. Sonar lets me work with whatever hardware I want, set my screens up any way I want, organize plugins any way I want, use unlimited tracks, organize large sessions in folders, no skippy track resizing, REAL right-click menus, full mouse wheel support,etc,etc.

AND....Sonar sounds better. Must be the 64bit engine. I just can't get over it, like I'm on my honeymoon or something. I like the look and feel. I can work very quickly, and the EQ plot is very useful, as is the FX setup and synth rack architecture.

Anyways, long story short, I'm a new fan of Sonar. Thanks, Cakewalk! Screw DIGI and their empire of overpriced hardware, I have a 48 I/O setup (MOTU -yes the windows drivers are fine), and it's expandable as large as I could ever need. Same computer, much better, expandable system, fraction of the cost. It's a winner in my book.

And did I mention it sounds better?

80 Replies Related Threads

subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 04:01:44 (permalink)
    hey, we always like to hear that!

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 07:35:30 (permalink)
    you got me, thought it was another "Sonar vs. Pro Tools" posts. If only those people would do a search, they'd probally be reading for days.
    JPPOLECAT
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 16:38:12 (permalink)
    Your right I ve tried other demo programs and checked out prices for upgrades etc. and what I found was that once you start using cakewlak stuff you really don't need alot of other pricy stuff. anything you need to do can be done with what Cakewalk sends with the package.

Core 2 duo e6400
    80 gig Hd(OS)
    2 250Gig in raid config (hd all sataii 7200 rpm)
    1 gig ram
    Sonar 6PE
    Glenn_H
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 16:46:40 (permalink)
    I have both as well and I agree, Sonar does have a clarity to it that is undeniable in comparison- but to be fair though, DIGI has offered many low priced alternatives in their hardware line up that has made it pretty attractive- for $300 bucks now you can get a digi interface AND the software. Still, no regrets on using Sonar cause the midi eats PT for breakfast as does the 64 bit audio engine.
    post edited by Glenn_H - 2007/01/24 17:07:16

Glenn

http://www.myspace.com/glennallenmusic
    http://www.soundclick.com/glennallen

Sonar 7PE, BFD 2, Superior 2, UAD-1, Liquid Mix, Waves SSL, Yamaha I-88X, Yamaha 03D, Motif 6
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 17:23:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Glenn_H

to be fair though, DIGI has offered many low priced alternatives in their hardware line up that has made it pretty attractive- for $300 bucks now you can get a digi interface AND the software.

Sonar has A LOT more going for it than that $300 PTLE system you refer to, not the least of which is expandability with hardware. If you bought that PTLE setup, and found yourself needing just one more input, or output, you're screwed. Zero expandability with hardware, artificially imposed track limitations, super slow bounce to disk, only 5 inserts per track for plugins, hidden playlists instead of track layers, an on and on....to me, that is not attractive. I mean, try to record a band with that, or even just a drumkit. Then we get to the sound, and there is no comparison.

And I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a cute little system, I'm just happy to have found what I consider to be a vastly improved option to the PT empire. They made their mark when computers couldn't handle ths task, because they had hardware acceleration. That is not necessary anymore, as evidenced by the Sonar dual processor setup I have right in front of me. It's 2007, computers can handle audio. Sonar is a pro system without limitation. That's attractive.
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 17:26:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: APC3

you got me, thought it was another "Sonar vs. Pro Tools" posts. If only those people would do a search, they'd probally be reading for days.

I may have been one of those people, coming from Pro Tools. Sonar is different, that's for sure, and that's why I like it. I did have some "how do you do that, in PT I did it like this" questions, which were answered quickly by generous Sonar users here on the forum. What was I supposed to search for?
    juicerocks
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 512
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 19:36:41 (permalink)
    Not to burst any bubbles because I am and have always been a Sonar user and never used PT.
    But isn't PTLE their most watered down version that they offer?

You shouldn't expect the most robust product of one company to be outdone by another companies stripped down meager product.

That being said, you can't really compare the top of the line Pro Tools set up against Sonar PE6. Primarily because the top PT stuff is hardware integrated and Sonar is not. Having Sonar alone won't bare the same results when used with different hardware. But the argument about the software and plug ins available to each I think is where the playing field is most compared.
    APC3
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 20:24:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sscannon

I may have been one of those people, coming from Pro Tools. Sonar is different, that's for sure, and that's why I like it. I did have some "how do you do that, in PT I did it like this" questions, which were answered quickly by generous Sonar users here on the forum. What was I supposed to search for?

aparently you didn't understand, I said "Sonar vs. Pro Tools" in the way that "which is better" and sparks would fly, these post sometimes take over the forum. Your question on a technique is not what I was getting at, and I completely understand how you would misinterperate it because I wasn't so clear, just refering to the battles I've seen here. Stick around, you'll see them. And as far as comparing Pro Tools to Sonar, you shouldn't compare them unless your comparing Sonar 6PE to Pro Tools HD, which is a whole different ball game than Pro Tools LE, some (no offence) people think because they have Pro Tools LE that they have the same system that is "industry standard". This is like buying a Neon and convincing yourself it's a Lexus. I know most, if not all the people here know the difference, but it really suprises me how many people really don't, it's so hillarious having someone laugh at me for using Sonar, and they think they have "the" professional Pro Tools.
    post edited by APC3 - 2007/01/24 20:46:13
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 20:25:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: juicerocks

Not to burst any bubbles because I am and have always been a Sonar user and never used PT.

You shouldn't expect the most robust product of one company to be outdone by another companies stripped down meager product.

That being said, you can't really compare the top of the line Pro Tools set up against Sonar PE6. Primarily because the top PT stuff is hardware integrated and Sonar is not. Having Sonar alone won't bare the same results when used with different hardware. But the argument about the software and plug ins available to each I think is where the playing field is most compared.

No bubbles burst here. I'm not comparing PTHD to Sonar. PTsoftware, yes. PT hardware limitation built into the software, yes, but the PTLE software is identical to the TDM software. There are some differences, mostly the SMPTE ruler, full beat-detective, etc. But the biggest difference is that the harware handles audio streaming, taking the load off the computer.

Also, keep in mind, Sonar is under $600, and Pro Tools HD3 is $20,000. That puts Sonar squarely in the realm of Pro Tools LE, and the comparisons are valid. I just don't agree with the artificial limitations imposed by Digidesign, and I like Cakewalk's attitude.

With that said, why doesn't Cakewalk bundle it's software with high-end custom hardware? That would be exceptional.
    Glenn_H
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 20:58:06 (permalink)

to be fair though, DIGI has offered many low priced alternatives in their hardware line up that has made it pretty attractive- for $300 bucks now you can get a digi interface AND the software.

Sonar has A LOT more going for it than that $300 PTLE system you refer to, not the least of which is expandability with hardware.

I'm well aware of what Sonar has over PT. I was only referring to the DIGI having "overpriced" hardware comment. In the 7 years I've had dealings with PT, it's come down 2/3 in price. That's all I'm sayin'. I don't think it's better by any means.

Glenn

http://www.myspace.com/glennallenmusic
    http://www.soundclick.com/glennallen

Sonar 7PE, BFD 2, Superior 2, UAD-1, Liquid Mix, Waves SSL, Yamaha I-88X, Yamaha 03D, Motif 6
    Big Boss Man
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 21:19:12 (permalink)

With that said, why doesn't Cakewalk bundle it's software with high-end custom hardware? That would be exceptional.

That is one of the top things I would like to see out of Cakewalk. Apple is teaming up with Apogee to deliver an interface with extremely low latency when used with Logic. Low latency is of the last remaining advantages of PTHD. If more of these software and hardware designers got together, they could crush PT.
    stratton
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1446
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 21:36:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Boss Man

That is one of the top things I would like to see out of Cakewalk. Apple is teaming up with Apogee to deliver an interface with extremely low latency when used with Logic. Low latency is of the last remaining advantages of PTHD. If more of these software and hardware designers got together, they could crush PT.

Abso-frickinlutely.

I'm embarassed at the Cakewalk/Edirol joint effort. Yuck. I've got Neve, API, Lynx and Neumann and Eventide in my studio, and Cakewalk teams up with Edirol??

Why not Cakewalk and Lynx? SSL? Or Rupert Neve?
    APC3
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 22:58:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratton

Abso-frickinlutely.

I'm embarassed at the Cakewalk/Edirol joint effort. Yuck. I've got Neve, API, Lynx and Neumann and Eventide in my studio, and Cakewalk teams up with Edirol??

I know, it's like they were tring to aim at all the guitarists, it looks so cheesy. My friend had a soundblaster box that looked just like one of cakes boxes, it kinda shocked me when I saw it, but I haven't used one so I can't slam them........next..............Sonar6HD.......
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 23:00:07 (permalink)

you shouldn't compare them unless your comparing Sonar 6PE to Pro Tools HD, which is a whole different ball game than Pro Tools LE, some (no offence) people think because they have Pro Tools LE that they have the same system that is "industry standard".

No offense taken, I use PTLE and PTHD. I have, however, done many complete, internationally released CDs on PTLE alone. I'd say it gets the job done, and is a valid yardstick for a comparison with the equally-priced Sonar 6. Who that listens to my work would say "that sounds like he used PTLE"?

Plus, Pro Tools LE is in the same price range as Sonar, Pro Tools HD is 25 times the price, because of the hardware. But the software, minus the intentional crippling of LE, is identical. I would bet that most people wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the screen which version I was using. And I'm saying that as a regular, 14-hour-a-day Pro Tools user.

I could put a $4,000 Sonar/MOTU HD192 setup up against a $20,000 PTHD setup, and who would care? It's what you prefer using, where you decide to put your dollars, and who is in front of the microphone.

My point is that even Pro Tools HD software is not as cool as Sonar. But, as Glenn said, you guys mostly already know that. And, Cakewalk doesn't price their flagship software at $2,000, like Nuendo, thankfully, but is equally as powerful.

Please, don't take this wrong, I know you guys have been here for awhile, and I haven't, but I'm not arguing, I'm agreeing, I just think Digi is shooting themselves in the foot by keeping their blinders on to the worldwide userbase that wants more from their LE line.

It's interesting to me that my original post was a quick praise of Sonar compared to Pro Tools, and you say I shouldn't compare them. They both do exactly the same thing. A song is a song. Record and mix it. But I really like Sonar, screw digidesign.
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 23:03:19 (permalink)

In the 7 years I've had dealings with PT, it's come down 2/3 in price. That's all I'm sayin'. I don't think it's better by any means.

Cool. Me neither. But that little Mbox mini is cute, no? I just can't compare it to Sonar directly because Sonar is an open, expandable system, and the mbox is closed, not expandable, and intentionally crippled.

Nice website, Glenn.
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 23:04:25 (permalink)

next..............Sonar6HD.......

Yeah, baby!! Now you're talkin"!!
    stratton
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/24 23:26:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratton

Abso-frickinlutely.

I know, it's like they were tring to aim at all the guitarists, it looks so cheesy. My friend had a soundblaster box that looked just like one of cakes boxes, it kinda shocked me when I saw it, but I haven't used one so I can't slam them........next..............Sonar6HD.......

Yep.

Sonar6HD? I like it. As long as they don't go Digi and lock us in to hardware.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 02:10:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: juicerocks

i think Sonar has done a good job at providing a great solution in the prosumer space. arguably the
    best out there. Sonar vs PTLE or PTMP is just not a fair comparison ... it eats PT's lunch. Sonar is an
    incredible value given the amount of functionality which is provided (plugs, features, etc.) for the price
    point.

but, when you get into the studio market, the cost differential between a high-end Sonar system vs.
    a PTHD system isn't as much as you would think. if you make a business plan for a studio, not using
    protools is a death sentence. i know this first hand. we will pay off our PT investment in about
    a year's time .. i don't think i could make the same claim for a Sonar based system ... well .. i know
    i couldn't make the same claim because we were sonar based before we went PT based and the
    biz rate completely reflected this.

then there's the way the rigs sound. i'm sorry to say this .. but Digi's HD/TDM audio engine sounds
    great ... probably the best out there. the next best i've ever heard is Sony's Vegas engine followed
    by Apple's Logic.

anyway, my point is not to belittle Sonar as much as to answer the question of "why the hell do
    people use protools" question... there are some very good reasons to. and these reasons are
    why cake hasn't made inroads into the pro market as they otherwise should have.

jeff
    sscannon
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 06:21:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

if you make a business plan for a studio, not using
    protools is a death sentence.

True, it's like a studio saying "we have a Studer 24 track tape deck" back in the day. It's the expensive one everyone wants to have, and everyone equates the best, most expensive equipment with a chance at a hit. That's why we have Pro Tools rigs here. We can say "We have Pro Tools", and we use it everyday. Long time user and fan.

But I would say when you listen to a Pro Tools HD rig, you are listening to the hardware conversion, which is good. Sonar through the same hardware sounded better to us.

Don't be sorry to say PTHD sound great, it does. Certainly nobody has ever complained about my working in Pro Tools except me. I find it cumbersome to work with compared to Sonar, and that's with me being very quick. It just drives me nuts, and I'm always cursing it. To me, Sonar is like a breath of fresh air, ahead of the curve, and blows PT away. I can give a laundry list of stupid Pro Tools features, but let me just say Sonar rocks. Thanks for listening.
    lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 07:08:52 (permalink)
    i want to see your laundy list of stupid pro tools features :) hehe. hmmm.. vegas? i've only mixed film sound in vegas, never a song. when mixing for picture, sonar feels clunky and akward unfortunately. vegas (and acid's) scroll zoom and movement of chuncks of sound is the best (for me).
    I think i remember at one point having an atari was the best thing in a studio :) hehe.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 07:46:35 (permalink)
    I'm embarassed at the Cakewalk/Edirol joint effort. Yuck. I've got Neve, API, Lynx and Neumann and Eventide in my studio, and Cakewalk teams up with Edirol?? Why not Cakewalk and Lynx? SSL? Or Rupert Neve?

So you are embarrassed because CW has teamed up with Edirol. How about Roland? You embarrassed with them too?

You do know that Roland owns Edirol. That Edirol is very big in the video business as well as a lot of other things. It alone is probably far larger in size then SSL and is global. But you are embarrassed. That CW and Edirol have worked together for years.Of course long term partnerships should be abandoned because you are embarrassed.

CW knows what its business model is and I think they are laughing all the way to the bank at your embarrassment.

If all that matters to you is a name then you are missing out on some very good products including Sonar.

Best
    John

BruceEnnis
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 08:45:26 (permalink)
    CW knows what its business model is and I think they are laughing all the way to the bank at your embarrassment.

Actually if you get a chance you may want to look over at "The Other Place" interesting topic relating to this yesterday.

Bruce Ennis
    Studio
    ABBA
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 08:50:24 (permalink)
    edit
    post edited by ABBA - 2007/01/25 09:10:38
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 10:49:56 (permalink)
    The honest answer is...
    There simply aren't enough Neve/API/Neuman/Evintide equipped studios to keep a company like Cakewalk alive/growing.
    The semi-pro and 'hobbiest' (hate that term when it relates to music) market is HUGE by comparison.
    Having said this, our market size altogether is relatively small... So it takes every revenue stream possible.

I've been the first to complain about this or that 'high end' feature that I felt was missing.
    But years later... as the larger situation plays out... I see there's been a lot of business wisdom/savvy on the part of Greg H. and Co. Sonar 6 is a pretty advanced application at this point... and Cakewalk is still growing strong.

As much as I'd personally like to have the situation you describe, it would likely be economic suicide.

FWIW, The only "high end" DAW that is thriving is ProTools. And look where they've been focusing a lot of time/energy/money. On the lower end... (M-powered and LE)
    Tim Ryan became a wealthy man as a result. Now that's a good story...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    stratton
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 10:56:10 (permalink)
    If all that matters to you is a name then you are missing out on some very good products including Sonar.

If all that matters to you is prosumer Roland/Edirol, YOU are missing out.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 11:05:03 (permalink)
    If all that matters to you is prosumer Roland/Edirol, YOU are missing out.

How would that be so?

I am not understanding you here.

Best
    John
    Sonar71
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 11:11:09 (permalink)
    Sonar is probably better than ProTools if not worse, but I wonder, which one is the best?

Obviously, ProTools has less users and is a relatively new package and quite frankly, I can't see this taking off.

Why would a Quebase user go to ProTools without any functionality? How do you justify this?
    In an ideal world, the choice would all be down to the fact that one is better than the other but this is not an ideal world. One of them is actually WORSE than the other but I don't know which.
    The final decision has to be made the people who decide what they actually want from a computer.

At the end of the day its up to you. If it's not up to you it is probably up to someone else.
    stratton
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 11:16:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

I'm embarassed at the Cakewalk/Edirol joint effort. Yuck. I've got Neve, API, Lynx and Neumann and Eventide in my studio, and Cakewalk teams up with Edirol?? Why not Cakewalk and Lynx? SSL? Or Rupert Neve?

So you are embarrassed because CW has teamed up with Edirol. How about Roland? You embarrassed with them too?

You do know that Roland owns Edirol. That Edirol is very big in the video business as well as a lot of other things. It alone is probably far larger in size then SSL and is global. But you are embarrassed. That CW and Edirol have worked together for years.Of course long term partnerships should be abandoned because you are embarrassed.

Best
    John

You do know that Roland owns Edirol.

Yep.

That Edirol is very big in the video business as well as a lot of other things.

I didn't know that. But it doesn't matter to me if all we're offered in bundled solutions is prosumer stuff. In terms of hardware, their years-long partnership has yielded nothing even remotely interesting to me.

I'd say SSL is global too, wouldn't you?

That Edirol is very big in the video business as well as a lot of other things.

CW doesn't strike me as a company that laughs all the way to the bank.

If all that matters to you is Roland/Edirol prosumer stuff, then YOU are missing out. Wouldn't you like to see a partnership between CW and Apogee, for example? A partnership that shows upward mobility for SONAR? Instead, year after year, CW seems to be tethered to the soundblaster crew, and yes, I'm embarassed by that.

Thank goodness Universal Audio let's us play. As much trouble as that card can be, it gave my DAW a complete makeover
    such that it's in keeping with the rest of my gear.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Sonar vs. Pro Tools 2007/01/25 11:17:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sonar71

Sonar is probably better than ProTools if not worse, but I wonder, which one is the best?

Obviously, ProTools has less users and is a relatively new package and quite frankly, I can't see this taking off.

Why would a Quebase user go to ProTools without any functionality? How do you justify this?
    In an ideal world, the choice would all be down to the fact that one is better than the other but this is not an ideal world. One of them is actually WORSE than the other but I don't know which.
    The final decision has to be made the people who decide what they actually want from a computer.

At the end of the day its up to you. If it's not up to you it is probably up to someone else.

Exactly..
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1