Sonar w/ FW-1884 and POD XTL

Author
don4777
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
2005/08/11 20:37:52 (permalink)

Sonar w/ FW-1884 and POD XTL

I ran into a problem trying to use the WDM drivers for the FW-1884 and the POD XTL USB interface. The audio engine stops. It will run for a few seconds but the audio breaks up and the audio engine stops within a few seconds. If I use the analog audio connection to the POD XTL instead of USB all is well.

I would have concluded that this was a TASCAM or LINE6 driver issue if not for the fact that I can use the same WDM drivers under Adobe Audition and record fine with no audio dropouts or crashes.

I tried setting everything to use higher latency and even that didn't have any effect trying to get both devices to use their WDM drivers in a civilized manner. I also tried using a different USB card. All drivers are the latest available.

I have switched over to the ASIO driver and the analog path for the POD XTL but it would sure be nice to get this working and make use of the USB path for the POD XTL input.

Thanks,
Don

3 Replies Related Threads

don4777
    RE: Sonar w/ FW-1884 and POD XTL 2005/08/13 11:22:34 (permalink)
    I can't help but wonder if the lack of any responses indicates that:

1) This works for everyone else that is using this configuration, or
    2) No one else is using this configuration

If someone is using both FW-1884 and POD XTL (USB connection) together using the WDM drivers I would really appreciate a quick confirmation that this is possible with Sonar 4 PE. It works for me under Adobe Audition but still no success under Sonar.

Thanks,
    Don
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Sonar w/ FW-1884 and POD XTL 2005/08/13 19:27:35 (permalink)
    use a Fw 1884 but not a Pod.

Was the FW 1884 working fine before ?

What settings do you have

No. of buffers etc etc for the FW 1884

Have you run the wave profiler for any WDM changes made.

Do you have the FW 1884 linked to a PCI firewire adapter card (nothing else attached to this card) with a TI Chipset.. ?

I use FW 1884 with 3 buffers at 64 if memory serves me right.

Have you tried the folks at the tascam forums

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?s=e3f99292602ef81607470b1f3e14061e&showforum=22

Also What are your system specs, ram processor etc etc ?

I would imagine the POD used a fair bit of Ram...have you looked at their support to see if anything may apply to you, or post your question there as well.

THe USB shouldn't really interfere too much with the Firewire.

If you are running Service Pack 2 then you require hot fixes for The Tascam.

Sorry not much help...I know people played around with buffer numbers 2 to 3 and with buffer sizes with the Tascam.

Let us know what you find.... The more info on your system the more chance folk can .
    help

Yes.
    don4777
    RE: Sonar w/ FW-1884 and POD XTL 2005/08/13 21:32:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I have answered your questions below.

Was the FW 1884 working fine before ?
    ANS: Yes, and still does. In fact it works great even with the POD XTL over USB when using Adobe Audition instead of Sonar.

What settings do you have

No. of buffers etc etc for the FW 1884
    ANS: I tried lots of different settings ranging from the default of 2 bufferes up to some totally ridiculous value. It works flawlessly with 2 x 256 except when using the POD over USB. Without the POD I can actually take this down to 2-3ms latency with ASIO and around 5ms with WDM. It actually ran with them set even lower but I felt like I was probably looking for trouble with it that low. I shutdown internet access, norton antivirus and software firewall when using the DAW.

Have you run the wave profiler for any WDM changes made.
    ANS: Yes.

Do you have the FW 1884 linked to a PCI firewire adapter card (nothing else attached to this card) with a TI Chipset.. ?
    Ans: Yes.

Have you tried the folks at the tascam forums. http://tascamforums.com/index.php?s=e3f99292602ef81607470b1f3e14061e&showforum=22
    ANS: No but I have searched their forums. Since the FW-1884 and POD XTL work great together under Adobe Audition it doesn't seem like a TASCAM issue.

Also What are your system specs, ram processor etc etc ?
    2.8GHz P4, 1.5GB RDRAM, 3 x 300GB 7200RPM drives with 8MB buffers - program and audio files on seperate drives.

If you are running Service Pack 2 then you require hot fixes for The Tascam.
    ANS: All hot fixes applied. Again - works fine under Audition.

Since this works under Adobe Audition using the same WDM drivers with the POD XTL using the USB interface it doesn't seem like a TASCAM or LINE6 problem. It seems connected to whatever is telling the Sonar Audio Engine to shutdown. I certainly have options and can use analog from the POD until I find a solution. I just didn't want to waste any more time on this if it were a known problem. I like Sonar enough to workaround this minor issue. If someone else had this combination working I figured I would spend some time looking the magic settings.

Don
    post edited by don4777 - 2005/08/14 09:29:45
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1