Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help!

Author
AlexHerd
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/01/28 11:18:04 (permalink)

Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help!

Hello! I preformed a search, but didn't find any threads to help. Please excuse me if there is one I didn't find.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, so please be patient with me! I decided to add a second drive to my PC to write audio to. Its a Dell running XP (not sure of the top of my head but I think its probably a P4 at like 2 or 3GHz with 2gigs of ram). The C drive is a PATA drive, so I bought a new 320gig PATA 7200rpm drive that I installed as a slave (both on the same cable). Problem is, when I set this second drive as the write drive n Sonar, it will not write to it. The cursor moves for maybe a second after you hit record and then I get a dropout (without ever writing any audio). As soon as I switch the audio folder back to the C, it writes fine.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

Here is my setup:
Audio card is an Alesis io26 clocked to an Apogee AD1k via SPDIF. The io26 is also receiving two ADA8000s via ADAT ins. Sonar is installed to the C drive along with XP. PC is audio box only, there aren't many programs on it, no internet. etc...

8 Replies Related Threads

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/01/28 22:57:02 (permalink)
    Not sure why your system didn't work, I assume you set the path in the audio options etc.
    Might be something set wrong in the pathways.
    You could try this as a work around.  
    Open a the song,
    Do a "save as" to the other drive.  Make sure to check the " copy audio with file"  option.
    Now close the song and Sonar.
    Go to the E(?) drive and double click on the CWP icon and it should open Sonar
    and now It will write to that drive for that song.
    There should be an Audio folder in the same folder as the CWP
     I make folders for each song of you can use the per song folder option too. .
    I transfer songs between my laptop and my desktop system all the time so I often work on a song by opening it from my external drive. "save as" is your friend here .

Also I assumed that the new drive is showing in my computer?
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/28 23:04:01

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/01/29 00:04:00 (permalink)
    Verify that the master and slave drives are in the correct positions on the cable.
    Did you change the jumpers on the drives?
    The master should be in the "Master with Slave present" position, and the slave should be "Slave". You should see diagrams on the drives showing which pins to jump. 
    These are not default settings, and the jumpers must be moved from the factory positions.
    Some motherboards support Cable Select, but not all. If you're not sure, specific selections are safest.
    hth

post edited by RobertB - 2011/01/29 00:10:50

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    AlexHerd
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/02 13:19:29 (permalink)
    Hi. So I have verified that the drive is installed correctly. Drives are in the right order and the jumpers are set accordingly. It functions normally as far as I can tell, I can copy files to and from, etc... I copied a few projects over to the drive and Sonar opens them fine, but will not playback audio.

I'm now thinking that it is the io26 that is the problem. Whenever I try to write or read from the new drive, all the level meters on the io26 blink and I hear a slight repeating click coming from the speakers. I have no idea why changing the write drive would affect the soundcard. I suppose I'll try reinstalling the io26 tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses so far!     
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/02 14:39:48 (permalink)
    If I were you, I'd try stripping the system down to the bare essentials - just have your computer, soundcard & external HDD hooked up and try that.

Start by eliminating possibilities/combinations.

Have you tried running the new disk from a different cable inside your pc, rather than the same one?

Be methodical - don't strip your system down AND do the cable switch thingy - because if it does work, you won't know immediately what was causing it to fail.

Try one thing at a time. If it doesn't work, put in back the way it was & start again.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bbent91745
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/03 00:49:15 (permalink)
    I don't know a whole lot about computers, so please be patient with me! I decided to add a second drive to my PC to write audio to. Its a Dell running XP (not sure of the top of my head but I think its probably a P4 at like 2 or 3GHz with 2gigs of ram). The C drive is a PATA drive, so I bought a new 320gig PATA 7200rpm drive that I installed as a slave (both on the same cable). Problem is, when I set this second drive as the write drive n Sonar, it will not write to it. The cursor moves for maybe a second after you hit record and then I get a dropout (without ever writing any audio). As soon as I switch the audio folder back to the C, it writes fine.

AlexHerd,

The whole idea of having a second drive for audio is to allow the audio to be accessed without interference from Windows accessing the System drive. If both drives share the same controller (and cable), you haven't accomplished this goal. You need to connect the second drive with another cable to the other PATA controller (virtually all MBs have 2 controllers, each able to connect 2 drives - a master and a slave). It won't matter whether the second drive is connected as master or slave (as long as you set the drive jumpers appropriately) as long as it isn't sharing the same controller as the System drive.

I don't know if this is the only problem you have, but I believe it is important to set the drives up as I described. After you get the drives set up, verify that you can copy and delete files from the second drive.

If this doesn't fix the problem, let the group know and we'll try to help you figure out what else needs to be done.

You might want to check out some of the advice available for optimizing your HW and OS for a DAW application (e.g., http://editthis.info/sonar/Optimizing_Your_DAW )

Good luck.

Regards,
    bbent 

HW: GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-930, 6GB & 2ea WD2002FAEX 2TB, 1ea WD1001FALS 1TB, UA1000, FP-7F, Yamaha 2.1 HS80M/HS10W
    SW: Win7 Pro x64, SPE 8.5.3, NI Komplete 8 Ult., Ivory Grand Pianos II
    AlexHerd
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/03 09:25:30 (permalink)
    Ah, maybe that is the problem. Off the top of my head I don't think the motherboard has an additional PATA slot... Would something like this work? Thanks for the help!    

http://www.amazon.com/SAT...ntroller/dp/B001S65VEA
    bbent91745
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/03 16:45:13 (permalink)
    AlexHerd,

The add-in PCI card HD Controller will likely work fine. I've used a few in the past with no problem. Note that the PCI interface will likely limit the speed of the SATA port, but since you're not using SATA at this point, that's not too important.

Good luck.

Regards,
    bbent 

HW: GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-930, 6GB & 2ea WD2002FAEX 2TB, 1ea WD1001FALS 1TB, UA1000, FP-7F, Yamaha 2.1 HS80M/HS10W
    SW: Win7 Pro x64, SPE 8.5.3, NI Komplete 8 Ult., Ivory Grand Pianos II
    AlexHerd
    Re:Sonar won't record to 2nd HD... Help! 2011/02/07 09:19:13 (permalink)
    The PCI card has fixed the problem. Thanks everyone!     
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1