Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations?

Author
LamerPawnage
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
2009/07/01 07:24:18 (permalink)

Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations?

After reading some thoughtful discussions regarding 32 and 64 bit Sonar installations, I thought I would give it a shot. Thus, I've created two directories: Sonar8P 32 and Sonar8P 64. Do I need to install "EVERYTHING" (Audio Plugins, Midi Plugins, SoftSynths, etc) for both installations, or do I need only install "EVERYTHING" for only one of the installations, such as the 64bit installation, and then for the 32bit installation, only install the program by itself? I'm a little confused about this aspect of the installation. How does this work exactly...any clarification will be muchly appreciated.

Vista64, ASUS P5B, Core2X, 4G-ram, 3-10K RPM Sata II VelociRaptors (1x75 Gig - Cake; 2x150 Gig Storage), 1x1TB xMy Book; 9800GT GPU, AQUOS 32" 1080p. 

Sonar 8.3.1, MOTU 2408 MK III, Mackie HR824's, Mackie 1604VLZ Pro, AlphaTrack, M-Audio Axiom61, Line6 xtPro Rack, Boogie 20/20, Boogie 2-2x12 Roadsters, Ibanez JEM, Ibanez RG470, Ibanez 7321, Ibanez Acoustic, Yamaha Classical, Fender Precision Deluxe '02, Fender Acoustic and a Les Paul.

22 Replies Related Threads

PaPi
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 08:17:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LamerPawnage

After reading some thoughtful discussions regarding 32 and 64 bit Sonar installations, I thought I would give it a shot. Thus, I've created two directories: Sonar8P 32 and Sonar8P 64. Do I need to install "EVERYTHING" (Audio Plugins, Midi Plugins, SoftSynths, etc) for both installations, or do I need only install "EVERYTHING" for only one of the installations, such as the 64bit installation, and then for the 32bit installation, only install the program by itself? I'm a little confused about this aspect of the installation. How does this work exactly...any clarification will be muchly appreciated.

You will not need to install your 32-bit plugins twice, just make sure both versions scan the same folder (it's the stuff that will play through Bitbridge on the 64-bit app.) Of course you want to install the 64-bit plugins for the 64-bit application, whenever possible. The default folder for 32-bit plugins is C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins, while all the 64-bit native stuff goes into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins.

P.S. Remember that 32-bit DX plugins are incompatible with Sonar/64. Don't even try with those, it won't work. Also, 64-bit plugins won't work on the x86 version, hence the need to install both 32 and 64 bit versions (when available.)
    post edited by PaPi - 2009/07/01 08:22:20
    LamerPawnage
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 08:45:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaPi

You will not need to install your 32-bit plugins twice, just make sure both versions scan the same folder (it's the stuff that will play through Bitbridge on the 64-bit app.) Of course you want to install the 64-bit plugins for the 64-bit application, whenever possible. The default folder for 32-bit plugins is C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins, while all the 64-bit native stuff goes into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins.

P.S. Remember that 32-bit DX plugins are incompatible with Sonar/64. Don't even try with those, it won't work. Also, 64-bit plugins won't work on the x86 version, hence the need to install both 32 and 64 bit versions (when available.)

I actually don't install anything to my C:\ I install all my Cakewalk software to a seperate E:\ (I have 5 - 10K rpm sata II's so I keep everything seperate). I have the the Shared Components folder (renamed to Instruments) on the same drive (E:\) and the VSTi folder in the same location, in which case everything is located in the same place. I did, however, notice that a number of items were stored to the ProgramData directory on C:\ I actually want to avoind having anything on my local drive, and am wondering if everything there can be repathed. I know I will be able to point to some of the items when I move them, but unsure if I'll be able to point to everything from that location if I move it...

Thanks for the info!

Vista64, ASUS P5B, Core2X, 4G-ram, 3-10K RPM Sata II VelociRaptors (1x75 Gig - Cake; 2x150 Gig Storage), 1x1TB xMy Book; 9800GT GPU, AQUOS 32" 1080p. 

Sonar 8.3.1, MOTU 2408 MK III, Mackie HR824's, Mackie 1604VLZ Pro, AlphaTrack, M-Audio Axiom61, Line6 xtPro Rack, Boogie 20/20, Boogie 2-2x12 Roadsters, Ibanez JEM, Ibanez RG470, Ibanez 7321, Ibanez Acoustic, Yamaha Classical, Fender Precision Deluxe '02, Fender Acoustic and a Les Paul.
    LamerPawnage
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 09:07:20 (permalink)
    I installed Sonar 64bit first and then installed Sonar 32bit. The 64bit seemed to have found everything it was supposed to find but when I scanned the paths with the 32bit version 75% of all the the pluggins were missing. When I instlled the 32bit version, I only installed the program, not the pluggins. I was sort of figuring this problem would rear its head. In other words, I'm going to need to creat seperate Shared Component directories (one 32bit and one 64bit) and the same for the VSTi's, in which case, It's going to take up a LOT of space... It would be nice to know which pluggins are 64bit and which are 32bit when you select the corresponding installation, in which case, I'm thinking for the next release of Sonar 9, installation types ("Recomended, Full, Custom. Minimal," etc) would include 32bit and 64bit installations.

PaPi
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 10:37:20 (permalink)

I actually don't install anything to my C:\ I install all my Cakewalk software to a seperate E:\ (I have 5 - 10K rpm sata II's so I keep everything seperate). I have the the Shared Components folder (renamed to Instruments) on the same drive (E:\) and the VSTi folder in the same location, in which case everything is located in the same place. I did, however, notice that a number of items were stored to the ProgramData directory on C:\ I actually want to avoind having anything on my local drive, and am wondering if everything there can be repathed. I know I will be able to point to some of the items when I move them, but unsure if I'll be able to point to everything from that location if I move it...

Thanks for the info!

Not a good idea. It's great to keep samples and audio files on separate SATA/eSATA drives, but the files Sonar needs to operate its engine should be on drive c:, and that includes the apps, the dll's and the plugins (which are also dll's.) You definitely don't need to have two separate folders for the 32-bit plugins. As to how to identify them, it's very simple: Sonar 64 will install 64-bit plugins in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins while the 32-bit stuff will go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    syntheticpop
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 12:14:07 (permalink)
    Ok, what if you're currently running a 32bit OS but later down the road you decide to upgrade to a 64bit OS.

Would you want to install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sonar on your 32bit OS?

Or is the 64bit version of Sonar backwards compatible, meaning you can install just the 64bit version on the 32bit OS and it will work just fine.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 12:53:18 (permalink)
    Would you want to install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sonar on your 32bit OS?

Impossible. you cannot install sonar 64 on a 32bit OS. you need a 64bit OS to install Sonar64

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    LamerPawnage
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 17:28:07 (permalink)

Thanks for the info!

Not a good idea. It's great to keep samples and audio files on separate SATA/eSATA drives, but the files Sonar needs to operate its engine should be on drive c:, and that includes the apps, the dll's and the plugins (which are also dll's.) You definitely don't need to have two separate folders for the 32-bit plugins. As to how to identify them, it's very simple: Sonar 64 will install 64-bit plugins in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins while the 32-bit stuff will go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

I've apparently misconstrued many things over the years. I've been under the impression I should install EVERYTHING seperately from the OS drive, which I thought included ALL the pluggins ("everything") etc. If this is not the case, then I guess I'll need to reinstall everything from scratch. I've never used any virtual instruments except for BFD 1 and 2 which I also installed on its own drive.

And so there's no confusion, I'm running Vista 64bit. I've been running Sonar 32bit but after reading this thread (http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1555013&mpage=10&key=�) I thought I would try running both Sonar 32 and 64. When I first received Sonar 8, I installed the 64bit platform, only to discover that BFD (1 and 2) will only work within the Sonar 32bit environment, so I uninstalled the 64bit platform and went with the 32bit platform, which allowed BFD to work flawlessly. So...that's the story. I guess I'll try to install Sonar 32 and 64 with the plugins and vst's on C:\

If there's anyone out there who's running successfully both Sonar 32bit and 64bit on Vista64 who could help out, I would really appreciate it!

jlindberg
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 21:26:06 (permalink)

If there's anyone out there who's running successfully both Sonar 32bit and 64bit on Vista64 who could help out, I would really appreciate it!

I'm about ready to do the same thing (install 32-bit version alongside of 64-bit version under Vista 64) because of erratic behavior with some plugins through BitBridge (or ones like Komplete that don't work at all in 64-bit). For anyone who's done this successfully (install 32-bit SP8 in a working 64-bit SP8 environment) I'd like some clarification on this point: do I need to re-install everything or just the application in 32-bit?

Jeff Lindberg

"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from a household appliance."
    doctorweir
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 22:07:47 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem when installing Sonar 8 PE on my Vista64. Some plugins were missing in both installations.
    I ended up also installing the instruments for the 32bit version again, so:
    1) Installed 64bit - everything (into \Program Files)
    2) Installed 32bit - core application & softsynths/instruments (into \Program Files (x86))
    Then it worked fine for me.
    post edited by doctorweir - 2009/07/01 22:28:21

Comp: Sonar X1PE, AMD 1055T Hexacore @ 4 GHz, 8GB, Win7-64, Velociraptor 300GB (System), Caviar 640GB Black Ed (Data), SB X-Fi Fatality
    Hardware: Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Edirol M-16DX, Novation Remote Zero MK2, Waldorf Blofeld, E-Mu Morpheus, Novation Drumstation, and loads of other stuff..
    PaPi
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 22:17:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jlindberg

I'm about ready to do the same thing (install 32-bit version alongside of 64-bit version under Vista 64) because of erratic behavior with some plugins through BitBridge (or ones like Komplete that don't work at all in 64-bit). For anyone who's done this successfully (install 32-bit SP8 in a working 64-bit SP8 environment) I'd like some clarification on this point: do I need to re-install everything or just the application in 32-bit?

It's not true that Komplete doesn't work in 64-bit. Kontakt 3 works fine (v.3xx no problem through Bitbridge, v.3.5 beta is native 64-bit and it works fine), the newest update of Guitar Rig is 64-bit native, Absynth 4 no problems through Bitbridge, same with Reaktor, FM8, B4II, Pro-53. I don't know about akoustic, elektric, massive and battery because I don't use them, but I presume it's the same.
    PaPi
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/01 22:19:24 (permalink)

Just the x86 app.
    jlindberg
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/02 01:00:40 (permalink)

It's not true that Komplete doesn't work in 64-bit. Kontakt 3 works fine (v.3xx no problem through Bitbridge, v.3.5 beta is native 64-bit and it works fine), the newest update of Guitar Rig is 64-bit native, Absynth 4 no problems through Bitbridge, same with Reaktor, FM8, B4II, Pro-53. I don't know about akoustic, elektric, massive and battery because I don't use them, but I presume it's the same.

Alrighty... I will rephrase: the instrument versions for Komplete 4 do not work at all on my system under S8PE 64-bit. Since you mentioned Kontakt 3.xx I will assume that you are using Komplete 5? If so, maybe I will pony up for the newer version after all. Maybe trying to run these older versions under Vista is a non-starter, 64-bit or not. I just figured I'd try the 32-bit S8PE environment and see if it helped.

Jeff Lindberg

"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from a household appliance."
    jlindberg
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/02 01:04:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doctorweir

I had a similar problem when installing Sonar 8 PE on my Vista64. Some plugins were missing in both installations.
    I ended up also installing the instruments for the 32bit version again, so:
    1) Installed 64bit - everything (into \Program Files)
    2) Installed 32bit - core application & softsynths/instruments (into \Program Files (x86))
    Then it worked fine for me.

Great! Thanks for the info.

Jeff Lindberg

PaPi
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/02 02:12:42 (permalink)
    post edited by PaPi - 2009/07/02 02:30:56
    PaPi
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/02 02:17:41 (permalink)

Alrighty... I will rephrase: the instrument versions for Komplete 4 do not work at all on my system under S8PE 64-bit. Since you mentioned Kontakt 3.xx I will assume that you are using Komplete 5? If so, maybe I will pony up for the newer version after all. Maybe trying to run these older versions under Vista is a non-starter, 64-bit or not. I just figured I'd try the 32-bit S8PE environment and see if it helped.

My bad, I was assuming you had version 5. I wouldn't try to run anything older than that under Vista 64. I know for sure that Kontakt 2 has a lot of problems running through Bitbridge. Incidentally, NI are offering Komplete 5 for $399 for the month of July, and the upgrade from v.4 is only $199. It's a great time to upgrade, and if you want everything to go smooth with Sonar 64, you definitely want the latest version of everything.
    post edited by PaPi - 2009/07/02 02:29:36
    jlindberg
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2009/07/03 00:43:30 (permalink)

My bad, I was assuming you had version 5. I wouldn't try to run anything older than that under Vista 64. I know for sure that Kontakt 2 has a lot of problems running through Bitbridge. Incidentally, NI are offering Komplete 5 for $399 for the month of July, and the upgrade from v.4 is only $199. It's a great time to upgrade, and if you want everything to go smooth with Sonar 64, you definitely want the latest version of everything.

Well, that's good to know.... I went ahead and ordered Komplete 5 rather than wasting any more time trying to get the old version to run on Vista. After I've spent this much on the new hardware and OS and Sonar upgrade, what's another few hundered $$$....

Jeff Lindberg

moon
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/05/10 11:52:43 (permalink)

I don't mind saying, I'm very confused.

I've been running my SONAR 8.5 PE on 32-bit Windows XP on a 64-bit capable machine.   Now I've built another 64-bit machine on which I intend to install Windows 7 64-bit.    Can I install my SONAR 8.5 PE on the new machine and 64-bit OS and run it ? 

668.....the neighbour of the beast.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/05/10 12:35:59 (permalink)
    moon

I don't mind saying, I'm very confused.

I've been running my SONAR 8.5 PE on 32-bit Windows XP on a 64-bit capable machine.   Now I've built another 64-bit machine on which I intend to install Windows 7 64-bit.    Can I install my SONAR 8.5 PE on the new machine and 64-bit OS and run it ?

YES.

You can even install both 32 and 64 bit versions of 8.5 PE if you wish. You may want to do this if you have some critical 32 bit plugins that wont work with bitbridge or Jbridge

The only possible issues could be drivers for the hardware, but as it's a new PC I assume you will have that sorted.

Also this is an old thread. Things have moved on so some of the info will be out of date.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/05/10 12:38:50

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    moon
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/05/10 16:06:40 (permalink)

Thanks for that.  A good solid affirmative is what I was hoping for.

All my hardware was checked for compatibility before purchase so I'm not anticipating any problems there.   The ' Microsoft Compatibility Page ' was very useful and that must be the first time I've ever waxed positive about MS.
    I'll just have to see which plugins run and which don't before deciding on whether to install the 32-bit version too.  Thanks again, very helpful.

668.....the neighbour of the beast.
    Bmack
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/07/22 20:57:24 (permalink)
    Hummm I installed Sonar8 32 bit on my brand new Windows 7 machine because I read in the "Readme" file that the 32 bit plugins that I purchased for my previous Sonar version 5 would not work in the 32 bit environment.  I am reading about this bitbrige thing that I have to do more research on.  I would hate to lose all of my previous investments in DXis and VSTs.  Is using the 64 bit worth so much more than the 32 bit.  Is it real real fast?
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/07/22 22:34:53 (permalink)
    Hi Bmack:

I realize you pulled up a somewaht old thread, but it's still relevant.

I read in the "Readme" file that the 32 bit plugins that I purchased for my previous Sonar version 5 would not work in the 32 bit environment.

Do you mean 32 bit plug ins may not work in a 64 bit environment?

Bitbridge (which is a feature in SONAR 8.3.1 and previous releases) is OK with getting 32 bit plug ins to work in SONAR x64, but BitBridge 2 makes even more 23 bit plug ins compatible with SONAR 8.5 x64 and later. There is also a commercial app called JBridge. A portion of SONAR users use it and report that it makes some plug ins that don't work correctly with BitBridge compatible with SONAR x64. You might want to search for it and get the demo, if you find that some of your plug ins are not working well using SONAR x64 and BitBridge.

Also be aware that you can install both the 32 bit version and 64 bit version of SONAR on your PC at the same time for maximum compatibiliy with your 32 bit plug ins. Many SONAR users do. It's best to try to use purely native 64 bit plug ins with SONAR x64, to minimize problems that may be encountered by using 32 bit plug ins.

The major advantage of a 64 bit environment is that more memory can be used. This is especially good news for users who use software samplers with huge sample libraries, as it allows to load more into RAM, which translates to better stability in performance.

For 64 bit version of Windows 7: Windows 7 Home premium allows for the use of up to 16GB of RAM, and Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate allows for the use of up to 192 GB.

See here :  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

For some more info on the benefits of SONAR x64 and the 64 Bit environment as it applies to Digital Audio Workstation related applications, see this older but still useful FAQ: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/Reader.aspx?ID=2005282

A newer FAQ:
     http://www.cakewalk.com/support/faq/x64_FAQ.aspx  

post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/07/22 22:51:15

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Bmack
    RE: Sonar8P 32bit and 64bit Installations? 2010/07/26 02:54:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Mr. Thomas Barnes very useful information.  I think I will install Sonar8 64 in addition to 32.  Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1