Sonar>Layla24>Masterlink

Author
ScrambledGroove
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2005/06/13 11:18:24 (permalink)

Sonar>Layla24>Masterlink

Hello...I've have Sonar 2.2xl but I'm still relative newbie in DAW. A bit illiterate in computers but do have a brain :>) This might be a short answer for you guys. Here's what I want to do and my manuals don't get down to a stupid enough level. I realize that I can mix in Sonar and burn to CD for a final mix with other software in my computer. But I am used to mixing to my Masterlink and a big believer in a pro Mastering house for my mastering. The Masterlink is capable of a 24bit rendered Cd to give to the Mastering house. I want to get my mix in Sonar, bypass the A/D converters in Masterlink with a digital transfer from the Layla, and burn to a CD24. I'm recording 24/44100. I am unsure how to route a direct digital transfer from my Layla24 into the Masterlink. The Masterlink has two types of digital ins that go direct to it's 24bit capable harddrive. Balanced L/R that look like XLR male plugs, and unbalanced L/R that look like RCA jacks but are labled "coax". The Layla has two digital outs. Optical (not available on the Masterlink) and S/PDIF that look like the RCA jacks as well. (S/PDIF IS digital right ?) I could make an assumption that the Layla S/PDIF out to the Masterlink Unbalanced digital ins (coax) would get me the desired transfer. Can someone confirm this and what kind of connecting cable do I need...surely not RCA ? And to do this, how do I set my control panel for the Layla when I transfer the mix from Sonar ? Thanks...hope I've given you enough info.
Gary

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sonar>Layla24>Masterlink 2005/06/13 11:48:12 (permalink)
    Yes SPDIF is digital and you could do a transfer that way but it's better to use a file transfer. Can the Masterlink import a 24bit .wav file from CD-ROM ? All digital interfaces are non-error checking and will also be only as good as the sample rate clock source, that would be the last choice for me. One of the advantages to using a DAW is that you can mix to a file and avoid digital (or analog) wires.

If you do want to try the SPDIF transfer you will need a 75ohm cable, just like the ones you use for composite video. You can buy "special" SPDIF cables but you don't need to, I have used video cables on my DAT for years and they work great. Just keep the cable as short as possible and make sure only one device is the master sample rate clock and the other is set to get clock from the master. You should be able to try it both ways but I would think the Masterlink would have a better clock then the Layla. That's just a guess but it seems like Alesis would use a high quality one in a device desigened for mastering.

Again the best way to get the mix to the Masterlink would be to burn the mix .wav to a CD-ROM and import it to the Masterlink hard drive and then burn it back to CD in that special 24bit format. Just verify that the mastering house can accept that format. For that matter you may just be able to send them a CD-ROM of the final mix as a .wav file and forget about the Masterlink.
    ScrambledGroove
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Sonar>Layla24>Masterlink 2005/06/13 12:29:20 (permalink)
    Ok, here is what I'm going to do. First, I'm going to search this forum on your name and print a book of most of your answers to questions. I have lurked and read here for a long time, and your answers to folks inquirys are always articulate, easy to understand, spot on what they are wanting to know, and complete. Thank you so much. You are a valuable source on this forum.

I THINK the Masterlink can trasfer 24 bit .wav to the hard drive. I know it can PLAY CD24 format. And it will transfer regular Red Book CD tracks from a CD to a playlist on the hard drive. I will dig into this. I'll also have to read my Sonar manual to make sure I understand how to save a mix to CD R at 24bit as a file. If the Masterlink can read it, that would be the way to go. Then I could pop the CD R disc into the Masterlink and internally transfer it to the hardrive. Done !

Yes...the Mastering service I have used in the past can accept 24bit in this way. They also have a Masterlink in their list of equipment, and the mastering software they use can master at 24bit before rendering to Redbook CD for replication.

Thanks for the answer on connecting cables. I think I've got a grip now. Although I may end up going "Uh Oh...Oh How ?....Hey Ohhey !! Thanks again.
    Gary Gallier
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1