Helpful ReplySonar's Options and Preferences.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 14:55:36 (permalink)
scook - I too have had to learn German to work in SAP - quite entertaining when the client is asking why it switched our demo session into a foreign language, at $250 an hour.  THAT sure was fun.

I do think that for lots of folks, hitting F1 for context help is of use, and also agree that most of the settings, for most folks, likely do not not need to be visited on any sort of recurring basis - with the exception of ASIO Buffer Size, and possibly inputs/outputs.

Further, separate users would generate separate settings files, so that would seem to adequately deal with most situations that come up, regardless of the current layout across multiple pages for some of the interconnected parameters.

And, I think that resource limitations impacting allocation for developers is a big part of what gets worked on and what does not.  The coding changes needed to rework the preferences would be really an exercise in development with no particular added functionality, and that means it is cost for which the product does not move technologically forward.  Those kinds of things do not often make it into happening, from a business perspective.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 15:17:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby worstcaseontario 2014/09/12 17:02:50
Going back to storing multiple preferences..

This is one of the reasons why AUD.INI should be abandoned and that data transferred to the registry.

System settings would go under HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and user settings would go under HKEY CURRENT USER allowing for multiple user presets.

INI files are a hangover from WIN 3.1 days. Storing settings in the registry is standard practice nowadays.

Cheers..

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 15:30:02 (permalink)
worstcaseontario
 That's actually amusing. But on whose face does this put egg on? The users who are asking for features they already had, or the Word guys for allowing this to happen?  

As I said on my twitter feed recently, "Definition of power user: Someone who reads the manual."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 15:31:11 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
And, I think that resource limitations impacting allocation for developers is a big part of what gets worked on and what does not.  The coding changes needed to rework the preferences would be really an exercise in development with no particular added functionality, and that means it is cost for which the product does not move technologically forward. 

Good points.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 16:08:29 (permalink)
Thanks, Craig.

I didn't invent reality, I just rely on it.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 16:59:39 (permalink)
I think this is a case where the solution is more complicated than the problem. While I appreciate your input, I'm not looking forward to managing a bunch of AUD.INI files and remembering which to rename and which exact settings each contains. It is not all that hard to change my settings as it is right now. I just don't think the menu structure is very streamlined. The OP was asking if anyone shared his opinion and I do. I understand the impulse to defend the program we all love and I don't want to pretend like this is some kind of big problem. I have no problem with the bakers spending time on other things and I've said so multiple times now. But when I say the menus are a little messy the solution really isn't to use a bunch of Win 3.1 INI files, however well intended.
worstcaseontario
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 17:32:22 (permalink)
 I read the Sonar manual more than I read the SAP manual, that's for sure. Because it is WAY more interesting.
 By now, anyone reading this thread can easily tell that they could drive  cement trucks through the holes in my computer technology knowledge, but you all mercifully are only driving scooters through them ( some of them even battery powered, which is a friendly, and environmentally friendly gesture that has not gone un noticed by me).
 Member scook, (or anyone, really) please clarify something for me. DOS equals windows? I thought that DOS was kind of a command-line precursor to Windows. Go a head and drive a sub-compact or something through that hole, if you think my ignorance deserves it.
 @ Member robert_e_bone. I was sent to the client's (Rolls Royce Canada) Main Office to take a week long orientation on SAP. The first question I asked the head-honcho-Super-User running the course " What does SAP stand for?" He answers " I don't know".
 Thank you very much for the spot-on-topic comments, Member CakeAlexS. This is what I am talking about when I say I want to learn more about this "Legacy" we seem to be "Supporting".
 This thread, if I have anything to do with it, will not turn into a "Sonar Bash". Sonar is great. I do not really ask for anything to change, I am asking for perspectives to help me understand it's mechanics.

respek 
post edited by worstcaseontario - 2014/09/12 17:38:54

sonar 8.5/x1/x2/x3pe/ableton live 8 suite    
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 18:45:12 (permalink)
scook
AUD.ini is a simple text file stored with the rest of the user files in C:\Users\yourUserDirectory\appdata\roaming\cakewalk\yourVersionOfSONAR. Multiple versions can be stored and replaced at will. Whether what you want to do in entirely is the AUD.ini I cannot say. If the AUD.ini is not found when SONAR starts, a new one is created. How are SONAR and SAP comparable?

It worked a treat. This is kinda a revelation. I still don't know exactly what does what because I decided to save an appropriate template for my ReRoute projects that I can keep in the folder with the modified AUD. I then moved my templates to the Sonar X3 app data folder. With a windows shortcut in the same folder I keep my ReRoute AUD, I can just drop the AUD and tempates into Sonar X3 app data folder, settle some conflicts, then open Sonar into 128 stereo channels of ReRoute fun. Then put it back just as easy. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys all of this, and you all know how windows works, but I'm just so excited.
post edited by worstcaseontario - 2014/09/13 01:19:19

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 19:05:18 (permalink)
VERY happy you are happier with it all.

I went back to read your initial post, because someone had mentioned something about your having just asked if anyone else had shared your opinion, but I confirmed you were looking for some guidance after all, so I felt better about my earlier post.  :)

As had been noted, by scook, the aud.ini is located within the Cakewalk Application Data  (appdata) for Sonar X3.

Another way of handing multiple aud.ini files would be to create a new Windows user account, and Sonar would then create a new aud.ini file and others, when that user first launched Sonar.  Then, any changes to aud.ini would be automatically picked up when you ran Sonar while logged on as this new user account.

Using the above fashion, you could create some sort of helpful user account name to help you remember things.

(were Sonar to ever move things from aud.ini to Current User Registry keys, as Alex had suggested, that would accomplish the same kind of thing, but the above IS able to be done now, as opposed to waiting for some future product enhancement)

And, in any case, without just telling you to read the manual and such, there is likely context-sensitive help doc available for Preferences, which you would access by hitting F1, which might help you with some of the parameters if you either forget what they do, or how to change them, or where they are located.

Bob Bone

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 19:10:46 (permalink)
Glad the OP was helped with this approach! I certainly didn't mean to turn this into my personal annoyances thread.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 19:41:42 (permalink)
 Thank you for your sentiments.
robert_e_bone
VERY happy you are happier with it all....

Bob Bone

Confused people often seem unhappy. I was never unhappy and was as careful as I could be to make the distinction clear. And I am sensitive to the possibility that the nature my questions could seem like a troll. I don't want anything dumbed down with Sonar. If anything, make Sonar MORE convoluted, so long as I know how to work it, then when it takes over everything, I will be way ahead of the curve. I mean, I will be THE guy to talk to about studio problems in the ENTIRE Lower Seaway Valley. Sadly, SAP is going to take over first, I'm afraid, but I have a bit of a leg up there too. I hope I don't need "smileys" to express an attempt at humour here.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 20:08:33 (permalink)
Anderton
worstcaseontario
 That's actually amusing. But on whose face does this put egg on? The users who are asking for features they already had, or the Word guys for allowing this to happen?  

As I said on my twitter feed recently, "Definition of power user: Someone who reads the manual."

No arguement with the wisdom of your "tweet"(is that right?), man. But if some Microsoft Word programming guy told me, to my face, that it was MY fault I couldn't find where he hid something, I could easily take it as kinda insulting. How about you?

Anderton
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 20:39:29 (permalink)
worstcaseontario
Anderton
worstcaseontario

No arguement with the wisdom of your "tweet"(is that right?), man. But if some Microsoft Word programming guy told me, to my face, that it was MY fault I couldn't find where he hid something, I could easily take it as kinda insulting. How about you?

Before the invention of the PDF and decades of evolution, I might have agreed. But programs have hundreds, even thousands, of options and there's no way they can all occupy center stage. This is why I like PDF files (and the internet) - if I want to see if something exists, or how to use something in a more efficient or intelligent way, I search on it. Even taking the Sonar documentation as an example, sometimes someone will ask a question here and I'll find a link to the documentation that will help. But many times, while checking out that link, there's some additional tip or shortcut or whatever that I didn't know - so I learn something too.

Anderton
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 20:45:38 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I just don't think the menu structure is very streamlined. The OP was asking if anyone shared his opinion and I do.

It would be an interesting exercise to propose a streamlined version. If there was a consensus as to some approach being significantly superior, and it didn't involve too much ripping the program apart, it can always be suggested and we can see what happens.

I tend to think for most people it's a set-and-forget thing, though, so I don't know how important most users would rate it. But if you could just take a "snapshot" of the current preferences setting and save it for later recall, it seems that would solve 99% of the people's needs who want streamlined preferences. The problem isn't really whether preferences are streamlined or not; the problem is how fast you can change from one operating environment to another. While streamlined preferences might make a different, saving and loading profiles would, I believe, make a much bigger difference.

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 20:51:11 (permalink)
Anderton
I tend to think for most people it's a set-and-forget thing, though, so I don't know how important most users would rate it.

I don't think this is a valid assumption in this mobile world of ours.  I'm not that mobile, but I do drag my laptop around and depending on whether or not I also drag my interface with it, I am continually resetting things.  If it's been a while I have to re-figure out which page and which settings, etc. etc.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Splat
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 21:18:39 (permalink)
worstcaseontario

If it was documented it would be a case of RTFM.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 21:40:17 (permalink)
Yeah, Okay. But imagine that is the windows guy from those windows vs mac TV ads a bit back, telling you it's your fault. Or if you wanna get really mad, imagine it's the mac guy from those same ads.

Splat
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 21:58:05 (permalink)
Being an IT support guy in the past the amount of people who blamed me, MS or 'computers' because they couldn't find their files or didn't know how to do something made my blood boil. Rather than ask a polite question and get a polite answer, or (heaven forbid) train themselves or read the help file, they would expect the IT dept to be their man servant. Not everybody was like this of course...

I would expect it to be more likely the other way around, but I would understand anybody getting pissed off with an arrogant person in any scenario.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 22:07:42 (permalink)
 Your sensitivities are to be respected, Alex. I assure you that I am incapable of berating and abusing support people because I will not read the documentation. I hope nothing I have posted on this board gives you the impression that I support this kind of behavior.

Splat
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 22:12:02 (permalink)
Lol course not :)

Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 22:55:23 (permalink)
Anderton's Last Post: "But if you could just take a "snapshot" of the current preferences setting and save it for later recall, it seems that would solve 99% of the people's needs who want streamlined preferences."
This idea sounds excellent to me, Anderton. Did ya'll miss this? I would imagine this must have been suggested to or with Cakewalk already. If not, I am a YES vote!

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 01:14:50 (permalink)
@worstcaseontario - 

You had posted the following earlier " It worked a treat. This is kinda a relevation", and at the end of that post, also "I'm so excited".

Where I come from, those sound like 'happy thoughts', so it made sense you were happy with it all, even though I am not sure what a 'relevation' is - it still sounds like a happy word.  (I am gathering it might have meant to have been a 'revelation')

I had not taken your original post as any sort of down in the dumps troll post either, I remain happy that you are happy with it all.  :)

I suppose that there may be some number of commonly, but repeatedly, things done with preferences by different kinds of Sonar users, so maybe some sort of multi-profile approach for preferences would be helpful.  A good idea, after all.

Bob Bone

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 01:16:32 (permalink)
@worstcaseontario - 

You had posted the following earlier " It worked a treat. This is kinda a relevation", and at the end of that post, also "I'm so excited".

Where I come from, those sound like 'happy thoughts', so it made sense you were happy with it all, even though I am not sure what a 'relevation' is - it still sounds like a happy word.  (I am gathering it might have meant to have been a 'revelation')

I had not taken your original post as any sort of down in the dumps troll post either, I remain happy that you are happy with it all.  :)

I suppose that there may be some number of commonly, but repeatedly, things done with preferences by different kinds of Sonar users, so maybe some sort of multi-profile approach for preferences would be helpful.  A good idea, after all.

Bob Bone

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 01:32:55 (permalink)
 I fixed my spelling, thanks. Kinda sad, I was being so careful.

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 02:03:42 (permalink)
worstcaseontario
...why this option is global, but that one is per project...

Notice that if you open Preferences without having a project open there are fewer items listed, i.e. only the global options. Opening it with a project open, the project's settings are merged in with the rest. I would prefer the global and project options to be separate, or at least identified as such.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 08:57:59 (permalink)
I do understand that there is a little digging to be done to find some preferences and make them stick, but IMO there are so many things that Sonar tries, and can do, it's not surprising there is confusion over where to put any particular option. There are so many different workflows that one person's button would be another's preference.
I think one of the objects of the skyline interface was to work towards a simpler and more consistent placement of preferences. If enough users get on board, and put forward ideas to have something changed, then I think the programmers would be more than willing to make the changes required. The features request site is one of the best parts of Cakewalk.
There is so much depth to Sonar it really is not surprising that even the best power users are occasionally surprised by something they didn't know existed, or didn't realise worked a certain way.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/13 13:37:34 (permalink)
worstcaseontario
 I fixed my spelling, thanks. Kinda sad, I was being so careful.

You will frequently find 'edited' next to my posts, as I often seem to SUCK at hitting the right keys.  We have ALL done it, so don't sweat it.  :)

Bob Bone

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/14 09:29:50 (permalink)
Anderton
worstcaseontario
Anderton
worstcaseontario

Before the invention of the PDF and decades of evolution, I might have agreed. But programs have hundreds, even thousands, of options and there's no way they can all occupy center stage. This is why I like PDF files (and the internet) - if I want to see if something exists, or how to use something in a more efficient or intelligent way, I search on it. Even taking the Sonar documentation as an example, sometimes someone will ask a question here and I'll find a link to the documentation that will help. But many times, while checking out that link, there's some additional tip or shortcut or whatever that I didn't know - so I learn something too.

I stepped back and thought about what actually sticks in my craw about all of this, and will try to illustrate my perspective with examples from my real life. I am not a professional Word operator. I am a professional machine and forklift operator, and I am good at it. Sometimes in my machine and forklift operating day, I need to make a page-size sign saying something like: "Caution-Pallet Load Uneven", or "Keep Head and Arms Out of the Mixer at All Times!" or "This Lunch-bag Is the Property of worstcaseontario- Do Not Touch". My workplace suggests to me that I might wanna use Word for this, seeing as it is already installed on all the computers in the plant. I stand at my little terminal and compose my sign, and a co-worker will look over my shoulder and say," That would really catch the eye better if the letters were out-lined ". I might agree. I will look at the first level of Word options, not find exactly what I'm looking for in the words that I am looking for, realize that if I don't go down the hall to shut off the ammonia very soon the plant will explode, print my sign in it's un-outlined version and just hope that it catches people's eye well enough. When was I supposed to consult the documentation? Beforehand? Again, I am not a Word operator.
 When he first started his position, my supervisor knew nothing about Word. He is now VERY agile with it. So long as I am there to shut the ammonia off in time, he has all day to study Word.(Nothing at all against him. Great guy.)
 Do you see where I am going with this?
 If a Microsoft Word developer came up to me while I was making my sign and said "Oh, I see you are using or product, might you have any suggestions for features we might add?". I will say " Yeah, you could make it so you can out line the letters of the text". The Word guy will say "But you CAN. You just have to...". I will then interrupt with "I gotta go shut the ammonia off so we don't all die". When I get back to the Microsoft guy, it's to check his credentials and make sure he is properly signed in to my plant. I don't think I am an idiot. Idiots never think they are idiots, mind you.
 I will NOT read Microsoft Word documentation in my spare time. Same way as I will not do cycle counts or sort pallets in my spare time. Microsoft sold this product as a solution to my employer, and I judge solutions by how well they solve.
  My comments are not to take shots at Word. I don't care about Word. I am sure it is all it should be.

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/14 11:08:36 (permalink)
You would have torn your hair out in Sonar 8.5.3 - INCREDIBLE power, for the power user, but quite a collection of dark arts voodoo and mysticism to utilize that power.  You had all kinds of keystroke combinations to learn to get things to happen, and it turned a lot of people off.  At the same time, those that invested the time to learn those key combos were very happy with what they could quickly cause to happen in the program.

One of the main reasons for the complete redesign of the user interface that began with Sonar X1, was that Cakewalk wanted to make Sonar a lot easier to learn, to attract new users and/or crossover users from other recording software.  In addition, they felt the redesign would, over time, assist even the power users with workflow improvements.

It is entirely possible that, when development resources become available, some benefit in the same theme to a redesign of some or all of the parameters in Preferences could be realized.

I think that if this forum continued to explore potential improvements to the use and control of Preferences, that they might take action to make some improvements.

Great thread, 

Bob Bone

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/14 11:29:35 (permalink)
 Thanks for all your thoughts, Member robert_e_bone. No one has ever "great thread"ed me before.
 Oh that rant was directly at that little "side bar" I quoted regarding the Administrator's quip about Word focus groups and the conclusions drawn from them. I think sometimes I could be grouped with the people who want features they already have, and felt like there may have been the potential of exposure to ridicule there. I agreed that the situation is ridiculous, I'm just not as certain who gets the ridicule. Word is kinda forced on me. Sonar is not. At all. I even have alternatives owned and installed. To make clear: My post #58 has nothing to do with Sonar.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1