Helpful ReplySonar's Options and Preferences.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
worstcaseontario
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
2014/09/12 01:31:08 (permalink)

Sonar's Options and Preferences.

Is it just me(very likely, it is, but I'm asking the board anyways), or are Sonar's options kind of a mess. I am learning to enjoy the software more and more, but the deeper I get, the more confused I get about the overlying -err, I dunno, philosophy?- philosophy of the layout. Like why this option is global, but that one is per project, or, like why this option has a button in the track options, but that button you have to go digging it out of Preferences, then you still gotta dig around to figure out whether it is global or per project and if it is per project then you gotta go and mess around with your Normal Template if you want it to stick.
 Before anyone feels compelled to tell me, I know that I can save at least a couple of those steps by making one of them opening the manual or help documents. My experience with computer programmes is not huge. My day job has me using off-the-shelf and turn-key windows software( email, a little bit of sign-making, SAP, MASS, ect ). My music hobby has me messing around with Ableton Live, Reaper, And Sonar. 
 I guess I should start trying to make my point here. Okay: Generally, dealing with computer programmes, when I need to change an option or preference, and I am not sure where it is, a lot of times I can find it simply by guessing " it's probably in with...(some other option or preference whose location I do know)". This is much more difficult with Sonar (worse now with X3, but still kinda wonky when I picked it up with 8.5).
 I am truly seeking guidance here. This is not a troll.

respek

sonar 8.5/x1/x2/x3pe/ableton live 8 suite    
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:02:14 (permalink)
I agree. Not to mention there are like three different screens where you make your basic audio driver settings. I always forget what's where.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:10:13 (permalink)
Yeah they could probably do with some reorganization. The problem is that if they changed the options layout then they'd get the inevitable barrage of complaints along the lines of "I have used Sonar since the days of Cakewalk on DOS and now I can't even figure out how to reset my VST's" etc. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:19:48 (permalink)
 Thank you for your comment, Member Sanderxpander. While it is always nice to have people agreeing with me, what I am really trying to dig up here is: why?
 It seems like millions of computer programmes follow fairly closely a certain - err again, I dunno...windows logic?- windows logic, but Sonar works considerably differently. Maybe if I had worked with the programme through it's evolution from inception, to now, it would seem clearer.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:21:10 (permalink)
Member Sharke touched on some of my last post while I was typing it.

minor grammar error corrected

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:22:21 (permalink)
Legacy support and bad decisions? I think it's really as simple as that, no offense to the bakers. Probably not the highest priority to "fix" either. But yeah some reorganizing would be nice.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 02:34:03 (permalink)
I would love to see some way to save preferences as presets. You could save a lot of time.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 03:01:11 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Legacy support and bad decisions? I think it's really as simple as that, no offense to the bakers. Probably not the highest priority to "fix" either. But yeah some reorganizing would be nice.

Yes, Legacy support. I am mildly curious to know more about this legacy that I sometimes feel put-upon to support. But to be as fair as I can to Cakewalk, I doubt a product of such high quality is the result of bad decision. I believe all decisions made are the best ones possible with the amount of information given, at the time the decision was forced. Or something.

@Member ampfixer: I'm with you. Is a "feature request" to Cakewalk for some kind of "Options Manager"(sounds kinda silly, I'll work on the name) likely to bear fruit?

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 08:12:19 (permalink)
I just mean something like putting the most common audio driver settings across three different menus. What may be a good decision from the developer's POV can still be a bad decision from the user's POV. But whatever, I think we all agree some reorganization would be useful :)
LunaTech
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 08:38:26 (permalink)
Hello,

Panu's duckbar may offer some assistance with menu layout.  I would suggest checking it out to see if it can help...IHTH

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 10:15:18 (permalink)
How often do you need to go into preferences? Most of it is set-and-forget for me.

As to distributing things over multiple screens, I assume one of the reasons is because you can access several pages from inside Sonar. For example, one Preference I do access a lot is snap to grid, but I can access that with a right-click on the toolbar snap button. Metronome preferences work similarly. 

I could see needing to disable ins and outs relatively often on the devices page so you don't have open inputs, but in that case, I would prefer to have the page allocated to seeing as much I/O as possible (as it's set now) compared to having all the other parameters on there that are set and forget, which would require scrolling through a smaller view of I/O devices.

There's always room for improvement, but given the set-and-forget and subjective nature of preferences, it seems not worth spending the resources. However, if people could come up with a use case for a specific change and why it's useful, I assume it would be considered but it would need to be universally useful. Here's an example: Currently, if you right-click on an audio track's input field, nothing happens. It could call up the preferences page for enabling I/O. But in that case, you probably would want to keep that function as a separate page rather than also jamming in things like whether to have the MMCSS option checkbox, which has nothing to do with choosing I/O. So while that change would work for me, it would work against those who want to see all the audio functions consolidated on one page...which would also work against people with a lot of I/O and want to see as much of it as possible...but would be fine if your're using a 2 x 2 interface.

So I guess the next step would be a preferences menu on how to set up your preferences... But again, how much do you really need to go in there? If it's something you do a lot, then I think it would make more sense to make it accessible from within the program, like you can with Snap to Grid.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 10:22:46 (permalink)
 I certainly did not quote Member Sanderxpander to call on the member to justify the comment made. I went to "the bakers" defence just to make crystal-clear my intentions for posting my tread. To me, It is clear enough that something went wrong along the way. To be as pretentious and pompous as possible, I posted my thread as an appeal for some kind of "Truth and Reconciliation" discussion on the issue. I truly think it is in Cakewalk's interest to iron this out a little. While I am by no means a busy successful audio producer, I can easily imagine somebody who is one, sitting down with Sonar to "giv'r a try" and be put off immediately and permanently, then go on Gearslutz and KVR or whatever and spend more time there complaining about the experience than they spent trying to figure out the programme. My same imagination may also be responsible for me thinking that makes any difference at all to Cakewalk and Sonar's bottom line, so I dunno.

Thank you for you suggestion, Member LunaTech. I will look into that.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 10:27:35 (permalink)
Administrator Anderton posted his while I was typing mine. I hate that. It makes it look like I ignored Anderton's post.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 10:57:43 (permalink)
 Thank you for your interest and input, Administrator Anderton.
Yeah, "set and FORGET". Emphasis mine. I want to re-set it but I've forgotten where it is. And it is not in the first three places I thought it might be. If the first place I looked was the manual, it might be in the second place I looked, but it never seems to go down like that. I don't think I am alone with this.
"Preferences menu on how to set up your preferences"? Maybe it has come to this, but please make it so that you hafta hold down Shift-Control-Alt-S-O-N-A-R while opening a project with the word Honeybee in the title to access it. ( you will need an assistant to work the mouse for you). I jest.

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 10:59:35 (permalink)
Craig, I for instance need to switch driver modes, inputs and outputs, buffer sizes and that kind of thing a lot. I have my home/studio system which is fixed, but I bring my laptop to lots of places. When it's just my laptop and I'm doing some editing, I use MME just for playback because neither WDM nor ASIO4ALL give me any kind of stability. When I'm at one of my workplaces, I plug into the Behringer X32 that they have since it's already completely hooked up to everything else. I just finished a recording session using a borrowed RME FireFace 400 and when I have to bring my own box it's an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I still haven't been able to afford to make obsolete.

My laptop also has different disk response so sometimes I have to tweak the buffers there. I don't see why we couldn't have a single tab with most of those things in one place, perhaps putting some under an "advanced" tab or button. While I realize this will still mean navigating multiple pages, the point is that right now it's not really clear where to look. For instance, I have to set the "driver mode" in "Playback and Recording" rather than in "Driver Settings". There's a whole bunch of other settings in the former page that could easily go in some kind of "advanced" menu. Just one example.

It's hardly a deal breaker and I appreciate that there are multiple ways of looking at this and many other features and niggles to add and fix first. But if someone says "do Sonar's preferences look like a bit of a mess to you" I have to say yes.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 11:05:03 (permalink)
 Oh yeah, one more quick wise-acre comment from me. I believe the term "set and forget" is borrowed from land-mine jargon. Just a thought.

lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 11:17:53 (permalink)
Anderton
How often do you need to go into preferences? Most of it is set-and-forget for me.

same here, makes me wonder why there's a shortcut key bound for opening the preferences dialog?

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
Anderton
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 12:06:11 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Craig, I for instance need to switch driver modes, inputs and outputs, buffer sizes and that kind of thing a lot. I have my home/studio system which is fixed, but I bring my laptop to lots of places. When it's just my laptop and I'm doing some editing, I use MME just for playback because neither WDM nor ASIO4ALL give me any kind of stability. When I'm at one of my workplaces, I plug into the Behringer X32 that they have since it's already completely hooked up to everything else. I just finished a recording session using a borrowed RME FireFace 400 and when I have to bring my own box it's an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I still haven't been able to afford to make obsolete.

My laptop also has different disk response so sometimes I have to tweak the buffers there. I don't see why we couldn't have a single tab with most of those things in one place, perhaps putting some under an "advanced" tab or button. While I realize this will still mean navigating multiple pages, the point is that right now it's not really clear where to look. For instance, I have to set the "driver mode" in "Playback and Recording" rather than in "Driver Settings". There's a whole bunch of other settings in the former page that could easily go in some kind of "advanced" menu. Just one example.

Seems to me the simplest solution from a user standpoint would be to enable saving "profiles" for different setups. Not sure how many people move computers around to different recording scenarios, though. Maybe something could be done with switchable AUD.INI files?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 12:23:26 (permalink)
If it is primarily AUD.ini changes a bat/cmd file could handle it. If it involved registry changes maybe different Windows users would help.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 12:41:31 (permalink)
 Can I do this? Can I have Sonar set to start up on one AUD.INI say with my one stereo in and out Cakewalk interface set up to handle the audio, clock set to audio, copy, paste somewhere and and rename the AUD.INI, then go and change my audio ins and outs to ReRoute 128 channels inputs 1 through 32 enabled, 33 through 128 disabled, outputs 1 through 64 and 97 through 128 disabled and 65 through 96 enabled, clock set to SMPTE, do the same thing with a different name to the INI file, and with a little creative renaming and dragging files around, have preset input and output templates.
 I'm asking before I just start messing around with this just in case there is a caution that I don't see. Even if I don't save a good copy of the file and bork everything up the worst case ontario would require a Sonar re-insall, right? (I'm asking here) Like I said, my experience as a computer operator is limited. I assure you that Rolls-Royce does not let me anywhere near the .INI file of their SAP system.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 12:53:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby worstcaseontario 2014/09/12 19:39:53
AUD.ini is a simple text file stored with the rest of the user files in C:\Users\yourUserDirectory\appdata\roaming\cakewalk\yourVersionOfSONAR. Multiple versions can be stored and replaced at will. Whether what you want to do in entirely is the AUD.ini I cannot say. If the AUD.ini is not found when SONAR starts, a new one is created. How are SONAR and SAP comparable?
post edited by scook - 2014/09/12 13:18:21
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 13:08:34 (permalink)
 Thank you very much, Member scook. You've encouraged me to attempt this.
 To answer your question, as far as I can tell, Sonar and SAP are comparable in that they are both complicated, highly user-configurable Windows programmes. I will confess to not actually knowing whether or not SAP even has an .INI(are you supposed to use "an" rather than "a" when the next character is a "."?). So please forgive my pretentiousness.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 13:16:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby worstcaseontario 2014/09/12 19:40:05
worstcaseontario
Sonar and SAP are comparable in that they are both complicated, highly user-configurable Windows programmes.

SAP is not simply a Windows program. It is a very large multi-platform business solution. The Windows parts of the application came years after the mainframe version. It is true SAP can run on Windows now but SONAR and SAP have little in common, this may be part of your confusion.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 13:40:33 (permalink)
Thank you very much again, Member scook. You are helping me refine what I was actually trying to address when I typed my OP. 
 When Cakewalk first launched it wasn't Windows either(I wasn't paying any attention at the time so do correct me if I'm wrong) I guess I could say that the Windows parts of Sonar came after the mainframe version, as well. But I can find the options for the screen layouts, or whatever, in SAP, even ones I'm unfamiliar with, quicker, just by guessing, easier in SAP than with Sonar. I came to SAP way after I came to Sonar, and I care way more about Sonar than I do SAP. This to me does not seem like it can be some kind of familiarity bias. This is of course, completely subjective.

worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 13:48:50 (permalink)
 On the other hand, my aspiration to "Power-User" of Sonar is a lot stronger than my aspiration to "Super-User" on the RR SAP network. Maybe I dig deeper into Sonar. Maybe if I took my day job a little more seriously, I would be, right now, on the SAP user forum, asking why everything can't make sense just like Cakewalk Sonar X3e.

Anderton
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 13:58:56 (permalink)
True story: Microsoft held a focus group to nail down new feature requests for Word. They narrowed down the list to the top 10 most frequent requests. All of the features were already in the program 

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 14:08:28 (permalink)
worstcaseontario
 I guess I could say that the Windows parts of Sonar came after the mainframe version, as well.

SONAR has always been a Windows application. The versions of SAP I have worked with ran on multiple servers and thousands of desk top machines. I don't think it is helpful equating a product like SONAR designed to run on a single Windows machine to a multi-user client-server business application. Is there a single user version of SAP which runs on a single PC? Anyway it would seem a distraction, if one is looking for solutions to SONAR issues.

I was hesitant to reply to this thread until Sanderxpander gave a specific use case. If my reply to Sanderxpander provided a solution to your issue even better.
worstcaseontario
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 14:10:15 (permalink)
 That's actually amusing. But on whose face does this put egg on? The users who are asking for features they already had, or the Word guys for allowing this to happen?  

scook
Forum Host
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 14:20:27 (permalink)
One of the delightful aspects of SAP for me was navigating the help system and having it suddenly switch to German. Something SONAR has yet to do. Even more fun was watching Seibel and SAP consultants spend millions of other peoples money and produce nothing. Good times.
lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Sonar's Options and Preferences. 2014/09/12 14:54:40 (permalink)
god sap's a mess

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1