Sonar's plugins

Author
Spartan
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2005/08/12 10:03:56 (permalink)

Sonar's plugins

hey guys this is probaly a question that has been asked before , but i'll give it another run, how good are sonar's effects plugins that are packaged with the software, is it good enough to make serious music or do you have to look at other third party software ?
thank you for time

SPARTAN.

16 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:06:50 (permalink)
    The Sonitus plugins are very good.
    Tonmann
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 661
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:18:09 (permalink)
    Yes and yes *g*
    You may need additional plugins if you are into serious music production. But the Sonitus plugins themselfs are state of the art.

cheers,
    Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:18:33 (permalink)
    It's a question of personal taste and preference - I use most of them, but also others if the mood strikes me. Try for yourself!

loop

donhearl
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:20:57 (permalink)
    I believe that the pug-ins in S4 PE are good enough to make serious music. The Sonitus Multiband compressor is very nice and I've used it on some of my mixes instead of the Ozone 3.0 packaged multiband (also very nice). Heck, I think that FX1 through FX3 (from the Pro Suite days) are still worthy plugs, and take little processing power. I still grab the FX3 reverb when needing a quick verb. There are hundreds of choices, but I'll reach for the stock plugs more times than not.

And I'm now looking at the free stuff, just to see what I've been missing. Good luck in your search!

Don

Sonar 8.3.1, Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4 GB DDR2 ram, 4 X 500 GB Sata II 32 mb drives, Lynx Aurora 16, RME FF800, 2XUAD-1 PCIe
    mtl blue
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:44:22 (permalink)
    Here's my perspective.

We live in a world where people are on the go. They listen to music on portable devices like iPod's that typically squash the tracks down to mp3. They listen in their cars, with road noise, weird acoustics and other sounds invade the sonic space.

When was the last time you saw someone else, besides an audiophile or recordist such as ourselves, set up the perfect chair, in the perfect room, with the perfect speakers (or phones) with the perfect class of scotch to listen to music. This is where you can really hear the differences between a recording made with "money's no object" gear and one made with middle quality gear.

Our time is better spent working on writing better songs, great arrangements, and those special surprises in the mix then worrying if our plugins are as good as Waves or URS.

While there are other plugs that have better visual feedback.... the Sonitus plugs do a good job.

edit: stinky spelling :)
    post edited by mtl blue - 2005/08/12 10:50:09
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 10:54:38 (permalink)
    For my taste I like the Sonitus EQ for track EQ sometimes,but none of their other plugs really,and I like Cakewalks FX Chorus/Reverb and SpectraFX and the Lexicon Pantheon for dry sounds and the Timeworks plugs from Sonar 2.Oh,and the Cyclone DXi for loops is brilliant.I haven't put the MPEX time stretch to use yet so I can't really comment there,and the Pow-r dithering plugin(invisible) seems nice for mixdowns
    post edited by Alndln - 2005/08/12 11:12:24
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 11:23:24 (permalink)
    Since everyone is talking about the sonitis plugs... I thought I should mention that a subset of the Cakewalk FX are actually DSP-FX http://www.dspfx.com/ plugs with new GUI front ends and sound quite good. In their original form, they don't integrate well with SONAR, but with the new GUI front-ends they work very well.
    post edited by eric_peterson - 2005/08/12 11:28:39
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 11:50:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eric_peterson

Since everyone is talking about the sonitis plugs... I thought I should mention that a subset of the Cakewalk FX are actually DSP-FX http://www.dspfx.com/ plugs with new GUI front ends and sound quite good. In their original form, they don't integrate well with SONAR, but with the new GUI front-ends they work very well.

the originals open up task bar tabs also which is very strange for a plugin. I've only ever seen that in early versions of Absynth before.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 11:58:38 (permalink)
    I think that the Sonitus EQ, reverb and Gate are very nice and yield very good results. I really enjoy the Sonitus Delay. It's my favorite of the Sonitus FXs.
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:00:22 (permalink)
    the originals open up task bar tabs also which is very strange for a plugin

Yep, I own them and find it annoying.

But, they were trying to do something interesting ... When they created them the idea was that each instance would be in its own execution thread. The idea was to let the OS spread the load out over as many CPU's as possible even if the application itself wasn't multithreaded. This is no longer required for most modern hosts.
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:12:42 (permalink)
    Mtl Blue summed it up quite well.

The shipped effects will give most folks, especially newbies, more than enough power to create with.

In the end, I beleive its the writing, perfomance and front end recording that matters most.

Best Regards,

L
    wwwill
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:15:00 (permalink)
    Well I find the plugs included with Sonar arepretty good. Of corse plugs are like spices; no reputable chef would just have pepper in their kitchen, no matter how high of quality the pepper is. There are lots of other free plugs that I would recommend getting to tighten up that sonic arsenal(sp). There are a approxiamtely 1.4 gazillion thread on people's favorite plugins. I would recommend going to http://www.kvraudio.com are browse the offerings and forums there.

I would definately recommend

Glaceverb
    ALL Kjaerhus Classic line
    ALL digitalfishphones
    BuzMAXI
    SlimSlowSlider
    IQ4
    All e-Phonic
    SIR
    BetaBugs MonstaChorus
    GComp
    WAReverb
    ALL free SilverSpike
    ALL free Voxengo
    Ambience

There are really too many to go over, again.

Naked Soul
    Chicago House Music
    www.nakedsoulchicago.com
    av1611
    • Total Posts : 387
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:15:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mtl blue

Here's my perspective.

(1) We live in a world where people are on the go. They listen to music on portable devices like iPod's that typically squash the tracks down to mp3. They listen in their cars, with road noise, weird acoustics and other sounds invade the sonic space.

(2) When was the last time you saw someone else, besides an audiophile or recordist such as ourselves, set up the perfect chair, in the perfect room, with the perfect speakers (or phones) with the perfect class of scotch to listen to music. This is where you can really hear the differences between a recording made with "money's no object" gear and one made with middle quality gear.

(3) Our time is better spent working on writing better songs, great arrangements, and those special surprises in the mix then worrying if our plugins are as good as Waves or URS.

While there are other plugs that have better visual feedback.... the Sonitus plugs do a good job.

edit: stinky spelling :)

(1) Thanks mtl blue - Excellent point - been waiting to see someone post this - the average "joe" would not be a able to hear the difference even if he were in the (2) "perfect chair" setup as mtl blue mentioned.

I sent my sick sister some hymns I redid using my daughter on piano and son on flute with me on bass and guitar - Horrendous sounding! I knew it before I sent it but was in a hurry and I'm still learning She and the rest up there thought it was professional!!3. ! Mercy!!! Mtl blue's point is proven!

I'm somewhat new to all this but I spent the last month searching for the "perfect reverb" to fit my situation (mainly financial ) - I tried most or all of the "favorite" freebies, demos (Waves,e tc.) recommended out there and during all that I kept coming back to the Sonitus Reverb and even the Pantheon (as I learn to tweak it). Are there better reverbs? Probably but for the money (free with Producer 4) the Sonitus can't be beat.

(3) My search for the "holy grail" is over - now I will try to learn how to get the cleanest sound with what I have hardware-wise.

What did I learn though all this searching - just exactly what mtl Blue said.

The Sonitus Plugin set is one of the best out there for folks like me.

Later
    post edited by av1611 - 2005/08/12 12:23:52

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:22:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie

It's a question of personal taste and preference

I agree, i believe the effects in sonar will get the job dome but i don't think sonitus is as great as many make it to be.I would grade them a "C" or "C+" On a scale of 1-10 that would make them a 5 or 6 to me.Some of them i like better than others. I like their phase (for width) and the reverb is decent, i like the modulator but am not to crazy about their eq's and compressors.I hear a bright coloration in their eq and compressors that i don't like.But this does'nt mean i'll never use them either.Their just okay to me.But even if they where very good i'd still own alot of third party effects.It's about having a nice diverse arsenal and studio building according to the type of projects you plan to take on.
    I personally hope Cakewalk plans to make better effects and synths in the future. These two things alone can make it a far better and more sought after program.Look at what propellerheads did with reason when they added the Mclass mastering suite to it, and the mother of all instruments the Combinator.They made reason argueably the best program on the market, you simply can't get a more powerful, and thicker,and louder sound with no other sampler program.The Mclass is up there with the very best!And the combinator combined with it's cpu efficiency allows for ultra thick layering.A couple of the right improvements can take a program far!If they are to compete with protools this is one area they need to strenghthen, because processing effects are VERY important!
    wwwill
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 12:47:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: av1611

I'm somewhat new to all this but I spent the last month searching for the "perfect reverb" to fit my situation (mainly financial ) - I tried most or all of the "favorite" freebies, demos (Waves,e tc.) recommended out there and during all that I kept coming back to the Sonitus Reverb and even the Pantheon (as I learn to tweak it). Are there better reverbs? Probably but for the money (free with Producer 4) the Sonitus can't be beat.

(3) My search for the "holy grail" is over - now I will try to learn how to get the cleanest sound with what I have hardware-wise.

The Sonitus Plugin set is one of the best out there for folks like me.

Later

Have you checked out:

Glaceverb
    or
    Ambience
    or
    Silverspike RoomMachine 844

I use these in addition to the Sonitus and Pantheon reverbs.

I think they are definately worth a look.

Naked Soul
    Chicago House Music
    www.nakedsoulchicago.com
    av1611
    • Total Posts : 387
    RE: Sonar's plugins 2005/08/12 13:05:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wwwill

Have you checked out:

Glaceverb
    or
    Ambience
    or
    Silverspike RoomMachine 844

I use these in addition to the Sonitus and Pantheon reverbs.

I think they are definately worth a look.

The only freebies I have left on my menu are Glaceverb, Sir, and Ambience - I like Ambience (actually sent in a donation) - I like it's long verbs. Glaceverb is nice but just haven't used it alot. Sir is interesting but depends on the impulses and find that when I uncheck it it echos and then I have to delete it to get rid of it - annoying - just haven't spent alot of time with it. Silverpsike is one I've spent very little time with so can't comment on.

Bottom line - even with Glace, Ambience, and Sir I still only use the Sonitus and Pantheon.

As one has said - everybody hears a little differenlty depending on the application.

One reverb I really did like according to the demo file was UAD's Dreamverb - that sounded rich to me but just don't want to spend the $399 for the card and then another $150 for the verb.

Later

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1