"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion

Author
DBerriman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2011/05/08 08:51:24 (permalink)

"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion

Hello again.  I have uploaded a 1st draft of an original piece called "Spirit of America" to my soundcloud page.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.  Because the piece feels much better to me when played WITHOUT a click track, I'm a little concerned about how the shaker (maracas....) sounds at the ending choruses.  Although technically it fall "in time" with the piano, I believe, it (the shaker) sounds a bit "stilted" to me.  Any suggestions on making everything sound as tight as possible when not using a click track? 

How do people deal with tempo subtleties?  When I play a piece like this live, for example, I pay little to NO attention to tempo consistency.  It's not meant to be strident.  Yet recording it / arranging it requires some tempo consistency.  I did my best to merge the two ideas (no tempo, tempo) by playing all of the parts live and touching them up afterwards where necessary.  But this (no click track) leads to this slightly "stilted" sound I mentioned.

Any thoughts?  Comments on the song?  etc...?  Am I overreacting to the shaker tempo?

Thank you.

http://soundcloud.com/david-berriman/spirit-of-america

4 Replies Related Threads

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion 2011/05/08 09:35:35 (permalink)
    Real Tear Jerker this, the melody is beautiful. I felt the shaker was out of time here and distracted me from the melody (It just dont work here), I find it hard to put a finger on what would suit better. At 0:44 and on I would have everything recorded within strict time,would even use a kick and snare.

Ohh love the that funky electro organ sound too.

I dont think you can "half hearted" do both really,one or the other and I defo think the sounds starts better playing as you go out of rhythm but later its either one or the other.

See what others think.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion 2011/05/08 11:42:06 (permalink)

An absolutely beautiful arrangement and performance.

One of the most interesting things about performing a piece like this is the "feeling" and "emotion" that you can put into the performance. If you try to play the tune exactly in time with the tempo you will loose that feeling and emotion.

Instead of trying to play the composition in time with a tempo to get it to match with the percussion, I think you should try to use your midi controller to manually play the percussion to match the piano's tempo. Instead of manually placing the percussion notes in the Piano Roll view with your mouse try using your keyboard as a midi controller, which will trigger the percussive sounds of the drum synth and then play the percussion parts in time with the already recorded piano. In this way you'll preserve the feeling and emotion of the piano performance and I think you'll end up with an arrangement with which you'll be much happier.

Really nice job with this! I'm impressed and maybe just a little jealous.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion 2011/05/08 12:37:13 (permalink)
    Hi David, lovely piece of music and a very nice combination of piano and organ. I personally would leave out all the percussion as it doesn't add anything to this piece, imho. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't play to a metronome but let the music flow as you feel free, unfortunately this has caused me some trouble on this forum but imho makes for interesting music, as is your piece here.

Greetings, Rik
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Song of the Week" by David Berriman "Spirit of America" / Click Track discussion 2011/05/10 17:39:31 (permalink)
    Well, it's true, the only time you can tell if a piece is out of time is when it is.  :-)  A tune like this can get away with it more than a "beats" tune.  I didn't hear any problems and thought the tune was beautiful. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1