Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind

Author
Glennbo
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1840
2010/08/01 17:29:38 (permalink)

Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind

I used my new Hit Factory kit that I've been dialing in on this song.

It's titled "Nevermind" at:

http://www.soundclick.com...672&songID=9472978

8 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/02 06:02:14 (permalink)
    hey Glenn
    nice little tune here. hmm, sounds like it was mixed by a drummer...
    drumwise it is of course great playing! i'd prob have a little less verb, and i like my snares a bit more cracky, so i'd tune it up a little. your vocals are great! nice guitar work, again i'd bring that up in the mix, all i can hear is drums, bass and vocals. i enjoyed this tune though.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Glennbo
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/02 09:59:06 (permalink)
    mgh

hey Glenn
    nice little tune here. hmm, sounds like it was mixed by a drummer...
    drumwise it is of course great playing! i'd prob have a little less verb, and i like my snares a bit more cracky, so i'd tune it up a little. your vocals are great! nice guitar work, again i'd bring that up in the mix, all i can hear is drums, bass and vocals. i enjoyed this tune though.

Thanks Mark!   :)

Although I am the drummer on this, I'm also the bass player, keyboardist, and backup guitarist.  My buddy Joey Who??? is playing the guitar solos, and there are a few samples thrown in for effect.  The drums have no FX at all on them and it's pure Hit Factory room for verb on them.
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/15 15:34:05 (permalink)
    The change in rhythm in the chorus is striking. It made the chorus stand out in a grand way.

Masterful guitar line and solo. While the vocals are very clear in the mix, the guitars sound distant and tinny, like I'm hearing it through a tunnel. I really don't know what I'm talking about, all I know is they don't sound as close as the drums or singing.

The lyrics are wacky. I had fun listening to them. Nothing heavy and deep, nothing to change my life. Just fun.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/15 15:42:08 (permalink)
    It is all there just some tweaking as suggest by mgh.

Cheers

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/16 08:19:20 (permalink)
    The kit sounds nice, the straight opening groove sounds nice and solid. The groove goes off the boil and gets sloppy around 0:50 before you get hold of it again, your playing is normally much tighter than that, and on that particular groove the dynamics vs volume seems a bit wacky, you have all these lovely grace notes and the leap to that occasional accent note sounds way too extreme to be plausible, it kept making me jump...

But yeah, the sounds are really nice and I'm sure you'll get it all dialled in right.

Aside from the drum kit experimentation it's a nice track anyway, and it would be cool to hear it all in the pocket and polished up.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/08/16 08:21:39

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Glennbo
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/16 16:28:39 (permalink)
    peggysuechan

The change in rhythm in the chorus is striking. It made the chorus stand out in a grand way.

Masterful guitar line and solo. While the vocals are very clear in the mix, the guitars sound distant and tinny, like I'm hearing it through a tunnel. I really don't know what I'm talking about, all I know is they don't sound as close as the drums or singing.

The lyrics are wacky. I had fun listening to them. Nothing heavy and deep, nothing to change my life. Just fun.

Thanks Peggy!

This was thrown together in short order primarily so I could try my new drum samples out.  The lyrics are sort of referring to when you are trying to convey a thought to someone and they just aren't getting it, so you finally just blow it off and say "Nevermind".  ;)
    Glennbo
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/16 16:29:44 (permalink)
    Wookiee

It is all there just some tweaking as suggest by mgh.

Cheers

Tanks Wookiee!     :)
    Glennbo
    Re:Song with Hit Factory drums - Nevermind 2010/08/16 16:37:54 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

The kit sounds nice, the straight opening groove sounds nice and solid. The groove goes off the boil and gets sloppy around 0:50 before you get hold of it again, your playing is normally much tighter than that, and on that particular groove the dynamics vs volume seems a bit wacky, you have all these lovely grace notes and the leap to that occasional accent note sounds way too extreme to be plausible, it kept making me jump...

But yeah, the sounds are really nice and I'm sure you'll get it all dialled in right.

Aside from the drum kit experimentation it's a nice track anyway, and it would be cool to hear it all in the pocket and polished up.

Thanks Jonbouy.

The dynamics especially on the snare are still not quite as dialed in as I'd like.  A hard hit get a bit louder than what a real snare would do, so I'm still dialing in the samples and their associated velocity curves to try and tame some of those hits that jump out too much.  As far as the section around :50, my guitar buddy (Joey Who???) was rushing a bit in that section, and I was playing with a loud metronome in my headphones.  The combination of the two made it a bit more difficult to navigate, but the drums are a one shot live take, so at least it's honest and exactly what I played, complete with all the clams.   My next test of these new drum samples will hopefully have some of these wrinkles ironed out.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1