Song-Producing Pearls ...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/13 11:45:27 (permalink)
Thanks Drew for elaborating,

I'm very impressed by your thoughts and agree whole-heartedly.

Slothful terms like lush and warm can get a bit offensive when one tries to polish his/her mix.  Polish requires precise Q's and counter Q's. 

Though artists and producers oft debase polish and prefer getting 'that raw vibe' ... both seem perhaps equally important.

Any comments?

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/13 13:21:12 (permalink)
I got nothin'.  But I love this thread.

Oh, maybe one.  <Clears her throat>

Make sure the baby's vibrating bed* has turned itself off before you record with your compressor mic in the room downstairs directly below her bed.  Yeah.  That's a big one.  But probably only applies to me.

*she's not really a  baby anymore, but she still requires the vibrating heating pad under her mattress that used to help her get to sleep when she was colicky.  Magic Fingers!  Who can blame her??  :)

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/13 14:45:26 (permalink)
julibee

Make sure the baby's vibrating bed* has turned itself off before you record with your compressor mic in the room downstairs directly below her bed.  Yeah.  That's a big one.  But probably only applies to me.

That's hilarious! It reminds me of another one:

If you decide to turn off the refrigerator (which the mic picks up 4 rooms away), do not forget about it and leave it off for 3 days & wonder why the heck there's a wool sweater where the leftover pasta used to be

Oh... and if you keep getting a mysterious hum that only happens late at night, and you've bought new cables, changed all the tubes in your amp, rewired & grounded your entire studio... you might want to make sure it's not the fluorescent desk lamp sitting right next to your head
post edited by Spaceduck - 2009/09/13 14:47:17

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/13 15:06:49 (permalink)
Spaceduck:  you might want to make sure it's not the fluorescent desk lamp sitting right next to your head

DOH!

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 04:29:14 (permalink)
1. Listen a lot to music, try to find out what elements and sound details you like. How are the songs you like mixed, what emotions do they portray, how do they sound?

2. Try remaking a song, or a couple of songs, you really like. Pay great attention to where things sit in the mix, tonality, punch etc and try to get it as close as you can. Is the guitar riff you love really that much louder than everything else?

3. Try remaking the vibe, sound and feeling of a song, or a couple of songs, you really like but with your own lyrics, melodies and rythm/groove. Try to get it to sound as close to the original as you can - but only mixwise and emotionally.

4. Write the songs you like to hear with the words you like to use - then mix it so other people who like that same genre  will want to listen. There are probably millions out there feeling the same way you do no matter how strange you are, just make it enjoyable to listen to.

5. So what if your topics are: "I'm so hurt by love", "Why did you leave me", "I love you so" or "Back at rehab" for pop/rock/country/r&b or "I love you mama", "I kill all you MF's", "If I die on these Streets", "F*** being locked up again" or "Smoke weed all day" if it's rap - everybody goes through those things but it still has a unique twist every time, just make sure yours is there.

6. Try humming your song, if it aint worth humming it aint worth making.

7. Use great sounds to start with, the better they sound the less you'll have to tweak.

8. Listen again and again to your song - then tweak after acknowleding where the trouble areas are.

9. Unless your learning about something new, don't tweak just for the sake of tweaking. If something sounds great there really is no meaning tweaking and makin it sound worse...

10. If you don't have the exact sound your after don't be afraid to tweak like crazy. If you achieve the perfect kick after transient shaping and two compressors in a row with a GR of -10 each plus boosting over 10 dB with a parametric at 350 Hz (where the mud usually is) then that's the way to go. Usually it's easier just changing the sound but if you feel like going crazy don't hold back.

11. If making contemporary music always force yourself to let the mix suffer from ultra compression even if you think you know better. Todays audience think that's the way music sound, and should sound, and will think there's something wrong with your mix otherwise. If it's not loud enough they wont hear it on their iPods in the subway and if it's not distorted enough they'll just look puzzled (sad but true...). Remember that with some practice you can still have punch in a mix with pretty loud intrisic value.

12. NEVER FORGET!!! Mix your music for your target audience. If it's jazz audiphiles make it clean and dynamic, if it's urban or metal make it loud and proud. If it's for you and your mama - who cares? Bottom line: don't mix it so you'll like it - mix it so the people you want to listen will like it.

13. Try to get your mixes warm with nice precsence and air but without being muddy or harsh. (And don't act like you don't understand what I mean)
post edited by Legion - 2009/09/14 04:37:59

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
Spaceduck
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 10:12:42 (permalink)
Legion

12. NEVER FORGET!!! Mix your music for your target audience. If it's jazz audiphiles make it clean and dynamic, if it's urban or metal make it loud and proud. If it's for you and your mama - who cares? Bottom line: don't mix it so you'll like it - mix it so the people you want to listen will like it.

That's another one which makes sense but makes me squirm ...mainly because, for the life of me, I can't imagine my target audience or what they want. Does anyone really know their audience anymore?

Quick story...

Back in the "party band" days, we used to spend hours trying to second-guess our audience. ("4 minutes. Danceable beat. Keep it in 4/4. Catchy phrase in the chorus  & simple lyrics so everyone can sing along...") And for the most part, people dug the stuff but never really got into it.

Then one day I said wotever, I'll write a song that I want to hear. It ended up in 13/4 with no chorus @ 80bpm (the most un-danceable tempo ever), and the lyrics were about a little kid who accidentally falls into the river Styx and can't find his momma. The recording itself was done in 1 day, no real magic, just a drum machine, guitar, bass & vocals recorded on a cheap Fostex 4-track and pressed to cd without any mastering. No joke, that song became our biggest hit ever.

Anyway, I guess my point is, yes definitely try to write/mix for your target audience, but never, never underestimate them! I think if you're genuine in your approach, people will really appreciate that. It may even lead to widespread commercial success (tho not in my case) like in the case of Bjork or Bowie or even the Beatles. These are acts who created their own target audience, and kept changing the programme each album.

P.S. Just to put an ironic twist on my story... years later when we actually had a recording budget, we tried to remake the song better & cleaner. Blew a wad of $$, spent 2 weeks on it, pro mastered, and in the end... people liked the original better.  Sheesh what canya do.
post edited by Spaceduck - 2009/09/14 10:56:13

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 10:52:32 (permalink)
This is truly an excellent thread.  I'm finding it to be VERY informative AND inspiring.  Makes me want to fire up the DAW and start plugging away - I don't always feel this way.  I think this thread deserves sticky worthy. 

Many of these "pearls" are general enough that we could create our own set of Oblique Strategies cards.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Legion
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 12:03:08 (permalink)

That's another one which makes sense but makes me squirm ...mainly because, for the life of me, I can't imagine my target audience or what they want. Does anyone really know their audience anymore?

[...]

...mix for your target audience, but never, never underestimate them!

Your whole post explained very well what I was trying to say in a way in some of my other ideas like 4, 5 and 10. What I was trying to say in 12 was more like don't get to stuck in  your own personal emotions. For example every guitarist want the guitar to overpower everrything else, every bassist want the bass to roar (even if it's a mellow ballad), and I (as the beatmaker) might love my own music and sometimes without thinking about it drown the artists vox in it so no details (of MY work) will be lost; these things will most likely not lead to a good end product. Basically, we have to watch our own preferences and swallow our pride a little to make the music listenable to others. On the other hand, if it's an artistic idea or thought out choice I don't think one should compromise those - who knows it might be the beggining of a whole new genre bending the existing paradigms enough.
post edited by Legion - 2009/09/14 12:04:43

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 12:06:27 (permalink)
Philip

Thanks Drew for elaborating,

I'm very impressed by your thoughts and agree whole-heartedly.

Slothful terms like lush and warm can get a bit offensive when one tries to polish his/her mix.  Polish requires precise Q's and counter Q's. 

Though artists and producers oft debase polish and prefer getting 'that raw vibe' ... both seem perhaps equally important.

Any comments?

Calling the use of adjectives "slothful" is disingenuous. It is also ungracious.

What is slothful are those who want detailed answers but are unwilling to go looking themselves. It is one thing to buy books, but you need to actually read them, and more importantly, understand them.

I think people here would agree I give pretty detailed advice, but there are times when it is more accurate to say "it is too bright" than to try to guess at the components that might be causing it. We are human beings not machines.

It is not slothful to suggest adjective or adverb based fixes when I am replying to six or seven songs. It is efficient. I and the other regular people who give advice (which there are few) are volunteers. We are helping you out of our own kindness. If it is not good enough for you, if the words we use are "slothful", then all I have to say to you is...

God bless... and expect no more help from me.

Shad
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/14 12:08:33

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Philip
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 14:25:56 (permalink)
3. Try remaking the vibe, sound and feeling of a song, or a couple of songs, you really like but with your own lyrics, melodies and rythm/groove. Try to get it to sound as close to the original as you can - but only mixwise and emotionally.
-- Phew, tough advice, Legion ... but excellent if I ever get off my slothful butt.

Shad -- If you don't help me, God might send someone else who will.  Until then, I still plead your help.  I had hoped this thread would not become frustrating or self-righteous (on my part) ... it was written to just share your personal pearls ... but understanding frustrations.  OTOH, Please forgive my dark-side, again!

If lush and warm aren't slothful terms at times for your polish-logic, I will still respect your opinion, regardless of my snaky words.  Surely, I'm more egotistical and sloth-prone than any man.  Hence, I will always seek scientific (empirical) supportiveness with such qualitative terms.

Legion also quoted:
13. Try to get your mixes warm with nice precsence and air but without being muddy or harsh. (And don't act like you don't understand what I mean)
-- Legion I understand vox presence a bit, but might/could ask you (and Shad) to elaborate on: nice presence frequencies that have worked for you: 2khz presence vs. 8 khz presence?
cause of late, my presence has been a problem for me.  I've erred on excess harshness and have had to slam down high shelf filters from 4-5kHz to 10 kHz on many backing vocs. 
I've had similar problems with honky vox freqs (200 to 650 hz) muddying the low end.  I bet other aspiring song-producers are struggling with this.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Legion
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 14:49:59 (permalink)
-- Legion I understand vox presence a bit, but might/could ask you (and Shad) to elaborate on: nice presence frequencies that have worked for you: 2khz presence vs. 8 khz presence?
cause of late, my presence has been a problem for me.  I've erred on excess harshness and have had to slam down high shelf filters from 4-5kHz to 10 kHz on many backing vocs. 
I've had similar problems with honky vox freqs (200 to 650 hz) muddying the low end.  I bet other aspiring song-producers are struggling with this.

I was joking a little, even if I think it to be a correct statement albeit a little diffuse For me to add presence can be anything from 2 to 8, it depends on the material. I think if someone says try to get a little more presence it can be interpreted as "Sweep between 2-8 Khz to find the sweet spot". Also, to get presence without harshness seem to depend as much on the algo in the EQ as the hz or Q. For example the LM Neve 1073 emulation sounds absolutely beautiful on Jattao but makes Dave Shine sound harsh almost just by inserting it so just a q and boost really wouldn't help me there while a comment like "try to get more presece without the harsh" might get me to understand what to prescribe for his vox. Also a tip might be the IK Pultec emu, it seem reaaally hard to push into harsh even where others fail and I've only heard very good things about Stillwell plugs as well.

As for your other problem with muddy honkyness I know the problem and my remidy that seem to work is cutting a little with medium Q at 3-400 and maybe as well as maybe as much as 6-8 dB high Q at specific trouble freqs at the same time as I boost a few dB around 100-180 to keep the intimacy of the vox (and don't forget the highpass so the low boost don't give to much rumble).

Spaceduck
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 15:01:06 (permalink)
Legion

Your whole post explained very well what I was trying to say in a way in some of my other ideas like 4, 5 and 10. What I was trying to say in 12 was more like don't get to stuck in  your own personal emotions. For example every guitarist want the guitar to overpower everrything else, every bassist want the bass to roar (even if it's a mellow ballad), and I (as the beatmaker) might love my own music and sometimes without thinking about it drown the artists vox in it so no details (of MY work) will be lost; these things will most likely not lead to a good end product. Basically, we have to watch our own preferences and swallow our pride a little to make the music listenable to others. On the other hand, if it's an artistic idea or thought out choice I don't think one should compromise those - who knows it might be the beggining of a whole new genre bending the existing paradigms enough.

Oh crikey I feel like a dope! I see what you were talking about now. Yup I'm often guilty of cranking up the parts I spend the most time on, mainly because I need to justify all the effort. And yeah, show of a little But you're completely right, that often hurts the mix rather than impressing anyone. Great point, Leej.

On the subject of subjective terminology ('airy', 'warm', etc)... that's a really tricky issue because sometimes there are certain unscientific qualities of a sound that can only be described by vague adjectives. What's confusing is when a particular word applies to more than one quality. For example, in terms of EQ "warm" generally means mids & lows. But if you're talking about a guitar it may mean a longer sustain. In terms of reverb it may mean fewer reflections.

And by the time we get to the final mix, it's hard to single out which of the above makes the song "warm". It just is. A wise man once told me (as he quoted another wise man): "There are many things about sound that you can measure but they're not important, and there are many things that are important, but you can't measure them."

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 15:57:27 (permalink)
Well two guys from different parts of country started talking about how muddy the mix was but since they were both used to different kinds of mud, one thin and runny mud, the other thick and sticky mud, they couldn't decide what to do. So they decided to speak in terms frequency and hertz and bandwidth and found they had common language at last. Low and behold, Mid way through, they were feeling High on the hog.

Craig DuBuc
foxwolfen
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 16:25:54 (permalink)
And after a time, those two guys came to a further consensus. The realized that an entire paragraph of words could be explained with singular words like warmth. But like advanced languages everywhere, that singular word now carries meaning that must be learned, and is not intrinsic to the literal meaning of the word. But learning is not hard at all, really, all it takes is exposure.

And they were even happier, because now they had more time to tend the hog.

(edit - I say exactly this in my last song, which is kinda ironic in itself)
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/14 16:32:47

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 17:49:47 (permalink)
Well - I for one got a couple of pearls from Shad here on a song I posted in the forum. It was a rough mix and I stated that in the beginning so i was not surprised that it had "issues' to say the least - I was more looking to see if the song had interest. Shad said something to me that I should have known but have not been practicing - I''l put it at the top of my list:

1). TAKE BREAKS OFTEN..and make them a little longer then you think you should. You might be shocked if you give your ears and more importantly your brain a good healthy rest.

2). Post your songs on the forum and get some feedback..however, do it with a purpose. For me it is not so much about the mix but if the song has interest. I am normally looking for certain things - If I get comments about arrangements, or verse/chorus comments I normally know i am on the right path - Mix time comes later for me. For you maybe you do want to know how the mix sounds ( I personally think there are way to many variables)  or a specific part of the mix (Low end, High end, etc etc)..ask for specifics if you are not getting them..

3).IMO - no matter what kind of music you write, Country,rock,bluegrass, acoustic..whatever.. if you don't have a groove..and not just from a bass/drums perspective..but some kind of a strong musical hook..it most likely wont hold interest very long no matter how witty your lyrics may be..GROOVE IS KING..(spoken like a bass player - right! :) )

4). Purposely go against the grain with song structure..Verse, chorus, verse,  double chorus, bridge,verse..blah blah - Gets boring if every song on your record plays like that. Try different stuff - Start off with the Bridge progression - or drive the musical hook thru the whole song but change the instrument and the bass underneath it - modulate the verse and use it as the chorus - anything to break the routine

5) If you like Rock - Force yourself to write a funk or R&B song - If you like R&B - force yourself to write a country or metal song - If you like electronic or ambient - force yourself to write a song with nothing but an acoustic guitar..Yeah it will probably sound like crap..that's the point - make yourself get out of that comfort zone we all tend to stay in - It's pretty enlightening - You will probably find there are things in those different Genres that you like very much but even better it will force you to approach the song in a different way.

6). If you have a control surface - take one of your mixes, make a copy and completely zero it out then get a black towel and put it over your LCD Monitors - Do not allow yourself to take it off until you  feel the mix is finished - afterward compare both mixes - then look at your settings - It can be very interesting when we don't use our eyes to mix and solely rely on our ears

7)....I did mention the GROOVE...right!!!!! :):):)
post edited by D K - 2009/09/14 17:51:09

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 18:39:27 (permalink)
Lets assume we are at the mastering stage and the music is good and it is doing what it has to do.

One technique I use during mastering is two shelving eq's at either end of the spectrum and two parametrics in between the two shelving eq's.

First parametric is applying a very and I mean very gentle mid or upper mid boost. Like from 500 hz to 5 or 6 Khz and a vey low Q eg 0.5 but only boost up + 1db 0r +1.5 db at most. All the mids will be lifted but by only a fraction. The effect is enormous though. The whole mid range changes. This will add presence without any harshness. So the centre freq would be 3 Khz and this gentle boost extends from 3Khz down to about 800 Hz then up to just above 5Khz.

The other place for a little gentle dip might be around 300 Hz to stop that build up of energy there. Only down -3 db at most. The Q here needs to be so that is a gentle slope each side, not a steep notch.

During mastering thay say sweeping things is not good and can only aggravate the build up of ear fatigue.

The shelf EQ's at either end can look after the air right at the top some very gentle boost here can really help a dull mix. But when you are mastering and you switch over to something like David Gilmour's 'On an Island' you just realise how smooth the final top end is and then you end up dropping the HF shelf down 3 db just to be in a similar place top end wise. Bob Katz mentions in his great book of mastering that smooth top end roll off you need in your final master. People are mixing and mastering thier music way too bright and crisp. Warm talks about mids but it is when the highs are in perspective you get the true meaning of warm. Actually the word warm covers almost the whole spectrum doesn't it. Its when the bass is nice and not too boomy, when the mids are sitting just nice and the top end not overdone! In this sense it is a feeling. But if you are soloing over a track that is say a lush warm synth pad, then you know that warm is mainly centering on those important mid range tones to keep that pad sitting down and lower in the mix.

But if a mix is really great, then you don't need much of the mid range thing mentioned above, or too much air processing and final bass manaegment tidy up with the LF shelf EQ is a just final thing to do.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 18:45:04 (permalink)
I would also add:

1. Try to identify when enough is enough. Learn when to draw a line under a song. Because I'm not proficent in production yet, I have found myself tweaking tiniest amounts for weeks on end, ending up with heaps of effects on every track, going completely overboard, and banging my head against the wall. I ended up not writing or playing anything for a month, all I did was tweak - for me that's completely counter-productive.

2. Before playing barefooted at home, make sure you have removed all string-trimmings off the carpet. I had one go about  inch down the side of my big toenail.

3. Don't forget about the wife, and keep her sweet.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 18:57:55 (permalink)
foxwolfen

One of these days I will be non-contrary. But not today.

you saved me a lot of typing - so here's to being contrary

my "pearl" is this: write the song, then add the rest of the instruments. guitar or piano/keyboard and a vocal, that's it. if it doesn't sound good like that, if it doesn't move you, if it doesn't give you chills, if you aren't inspired by the basic performance of your own song - don't expect anyone else to be.

seems like some are confused about the differences between the semantics of sound engineering and sound as it applies to music. tell a woman she has soft, beautiful skin, or that the aperture of the pores on her pliable, evenly-hued dermis are quite marginal. see how far that second compliment gets you.

- jack the ex-cynic
Philip
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 19:04:16 (permalink)
D K: Great wisdom to be sure.

Ah ... the almighty groove (#3 and #7) hook! 

Just now, On Youtube, I saw one keyboard synth master ... make/perform his wondrous spontaneous layered groove on his Fantom or Korg synthesizer.

... From a bland metronome (4/4) ... he added funky percussives ... low end stuff ... bass, piano, triangle, clav, vox, and other embellishments into a powerful dance groove in about 5-10 minutes!  (He is an R&B writer)

'Twould be really nice to be able to learn the art of spontaneous R&B grooves.  I wonder if there is a class somewhere for that.  My Fantom is complex ... but I'd sure love to learn that (if I'm not too late).

Legion: Thanks again for sharing your song wisdom.

Philip  

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/14 19:07:07 (permalink)
seems like some are confused about the differences between the semantics of sound engineering and sound as it applies to music. tell a woman she has soft, beautiful skin, or that the aperture of the pores on her pliable, evenly-hued dermis are quite marginal. see how far that second compliment gets you.

LOL!  that's GREAT!

I also have to agree with D K (and thus Shad) about this:
1). TAKE BREAKS OFTEN..and make them a little longer then you think you should. You might be shocked if you give your ears and more importantly your brain a good healthy rest.

I can't say enough how many times I've worked on something well into the night thinking it was great and then come back to it the next night after work and say, "what was I thinking?"

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Philip
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 01:14:02 (permalink)
Rob: I hear what you're saying about over-tweaking.  What about over-hauling?  I just re-wrote a power bass-line on an old song to 'strengthen its dull groove'
and will doubtless construct more vox samples tomorrow as I feel inspired.

From an painter-artist's point of view, my turds oft become over-hauled thus, until an acceptable new vibe sample or polish fixes it. 

As far as playing and performing publicly, that's widdled down to 3-4% of my time ... at least until these Sonar studio labs produce more of their timeless majic.  IIRC, Yes and other rock-stars did much studio majic with their producer (for a few years) before unleasing their power-gigs.

Methinks, you and I must become powerful with basic musical interactions, their parts, and the whole ... before target audiences get truly lifted up by our public gigs (present and future).

Some of you guys talk of resting your ears oft!  What about the engineers that listen all day 24-7 (almost)? 

OTOH, I rest now as I write to you all, though ... The window air-conditioner makes constant noise which may be more unsettling (I just turned it off and put on my blue ear-plugs ... these ears are ringing ... so that must be a clue that my brain is bashed)

My wife may be glad I'm not running off in adultery or drug addictions 
... I'm a manic-obsessed song-writing geek just trying to enjoy little libido in this short life. 

I'm not even sure this absurd lifestyle is even religiously or politically correct.

Philip  

foxwolfen
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 01:31:26 (permalink)
Politically correct, maybe not, as our culture is not one to fully appreciate the arts (unless its pop).

Religiously...I spoke to God and he said it was Ok. Seriously though, I believe that this is what God intended for us.

Artists are his chosen children. They are the most like God, and God made us in his image. Every act of creation brings me closer to that truth.

(PS sorry for snapping at you earlier - you did not deserve that)

Composers Forum
mattplaysguitar
  • Total Posts : 1992
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 04:51:38 (permalink)
 - Never record a guitar without brand new strings (that have been appropriately worn in)
 - Even if it takes 4 hours of adjusting mic positions, amp eq settings and distortion sounds, don't hit that record button (except during the testing process) until the sound is as perfect as it can be and sits in the mix as well as possible. If you spend 4 hours doing this, then you'll need almost no time fine tuning, and it will sound great. If you spend 5 minutes setting it up, be prepared to spend 10 days trying to fix the sound and getting almost no results - unless you're lucky. Now which one takes longest to do?
 - ALWAYS compare these different sounds you are recording when choosing the right sound at THE SAME PERCEIVABLE LEVEL (not RMS, PERCEIVABLE).

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 09:12:35 (permalink)
Philip

Some of you guys talk of resting your ears oft!  What about the engineers that listen all day 24-7 (almost)? 

I don't mean to put myself in the company of all-day, every-day engineers.  But often, I'm all-day, all-weekend, and several hours each night working with other players on their songs.  We do take breaks, and often.

For example.  Over the weekend I was tracking drums for a rock band.  We only had 5 songs to get through, but it still took a 10 hour day on Saturday and another 3 hours on Sunday for drum tracks.  We then went on to do about 4 hours worth of rhythm guitars.  I'll bet we took at least a 5 min. "break" once an hour.  I've learned to do that for myself as much as the talent.

That sort of critical listening can be very tiring.  All that coupled with the stress involved with the battles that happen...."NO, try this", "NO try THAT".....it's fatiguing.  And it can be very hard on a player....sometimes leading to a compromised performance.  These breaks also invariably give me some time to stroke the player who's in the hot seat....telling him how well he's doing, and that it sounds amazing (if it does), or to talk to him about his strengths and weaknesses.  It's not uncommon for players to want to play something beyond their ability trying to make the album the best it can be.  These are great opportunities to discuss that, and to coax a player to stay within his ability and to milk his strong points for all they're worth, instead of trying to be "flashy".

I also take "extra" breaks beyond that.  Any time I'm running an entire song back for the band to evaluate a performance, I'll step outside and listen through a cracked door, or I'll go into another room.  That does two things....gives me a different perspective on what's going on, and gives my ears a break.  I even do this when I'm working on my own songs and mixes.

But I think it's important to keep a keen eye out for the beginnings of fatigue and to take a proactive approach to a remedy.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 12:52:14 (permalink)
Self -fulfilling prophesy !
Philip
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/15 17:00:25 (permalink)
Shad, thanks for your comforting thoughts on these sensitive issues.

Skull, thank you for validating your awesome experiences ... to take regular breaks and rest.  TBH, I should have appreciated the issue without questioning too much:

At my aspiring level, breaks may vary from 5 minutes to 30 minutes an hour, depending on energy workouts, experience, exhaustion from my day-job, and other variables.

Philip  

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/16 18:38:36 (permalink)
I just thought of another one:

If you're going to write lyrics, make sure you read some decent literature of some kind. It seems to me that all of the great lyricists actually read books. If you read, you're more likely to know your way around a good metaphor or two, and not just spout cliches and commit what I like to call "rhyme crimes".

So often when I hear music for the first time, I can hear the first part of a phrase and guess where it's going because it's such a cliche/obvious rhyme. As musicians, we both practice our craft and listen to (and learn from) endless amounts of music. Yet people think they can write great lyrics without stimulating their minds with anything beyond mindless TV and action movies.

drewfx
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/17 13:32:25 (permalink)
drewfx1

bitflipper

Resolve to never utter either of these phrases ever again:

"If it sounds good, it is good"

- and -

"There are no rules"

And to never use the word "warmth" in any context not related to sunshine, thermostats or beverages.

Never use any of the following words in describing the difference between audio systems/devices/analog vs. digital/EQ's/etc.:

"air"
"imaging"
"depth"
"smoothness"
"harshness"
"grating"
"coldness"
"ear fatigue"
"alive"
"boxy"
"flabby"

None of them have any real meaning in the context of audio, and are only useful in marketing and in describing differences that don't actually exist. If you hear distortion, frequency response or phase problems, or whatever, just say so (and include the frequency range where you hear it).

If you are talking about differences that don't actually exist, just shut up.

drewfx
Yikes.  I'm blacklisted (nothing new). 

Seeing as I'm first a guy who likes to write songs and then a guy who bangs on a piano and whatever else is lying around and then 3rd i'm a hacker mixing engineer i'd say that those adjectives are far closer to my center of gravity then 100db....add Q.....roll off 12db...which accounts for my not getting it.
I'm not an engineer.   I do not have the chromosome and yet i enjoy tinkering at it immensly (sp?).
Enjoying tinkering does not make me an engineer.  
I understand immediately those adjectives when used in mixing.   They are crystal clear as opposed to the 'correct' lingo which still goes over my head......like a warm flabby breeze.................
Nothing of value to contribute other than using a professional (or favorite) mix to A/B with during a session speaks VOLUMES......(painfully so.......)
post edited by No How - 2009/09/17 14:08:23

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/17 14:31:27 (permalink)
1. Listen a lot to music, try to find out what elements and sound details you like. How are the songs you like mixed, what emotions do they portray, how do they sound?

2. Try remaking a song, or a couple of songs, you really like. Pay great attention to where things sit in the mix, tonality, punch etc and try to get it as close as you can. Is the guitar riff you love really that much louder than everything else?

4. Write the songs you like to hear with the words you like to use - then mix it so other people who like that same genre  will want to listen. There are probably millions out there feeling the same way you do no matter how strange you are, just make it enjoyable to listen to.

5. So what if your topics are: "I'm so hurt by love", "Why did you leave me", "I love you so" or "Back at rehab" for pop/rock/country/r&b or "I love you mama", "I kill all you MF's", "If I die on these Streets", "F*** being locked up again" or "Smoke weed all day" if it's rap - everybody goes through those things but it still has a unique twist every time, just make sure yours is there.

6. Try humming your song, if it aint worth humming it aint worth making.

7. Use great sounds to start with, the better they sound the less you'll have to tweak.

8. Listen again and again to your song - then tweak after acknowleding where the trouble areas are.

9. Unless your learning about something new, don't tweak just for the sake of tweaking. If something sounds great there really is no meaning tweaking and makin it sound worse...

10. If you don't have the exact sound your after don't be afraid to tweak like crazy. If you achieve the perfect kick after transient shaping and two compressors in a row with a GR of -10 each plus boosting over 10 dB with a parametric at 350 Hz (where the mud usually is) then that's the way to go. Usually it's easier just changing the sound but if you feel like going crazy don't hold back.

11. If making contemporary music always force yourself to let the mix suffer from ultra compression even if you think you know better. Todays audience think that's the way music sound, and should sound, and will think there's something wrong with your mix otherwise. If it's not loud enough they wont hear it on their iPods in the subway and if it's not distorted enough they'll just look puzzled (sad but true...). Remember that with some practice you can still have punch in a mix with pretty loud intrisic value.

This is great stuff....going in my faves bin.

Here's one i've always touted: 
  6) Try humming your song, if it aint worth humming it aint worth making.

and:

Yes, sir.   And in the mean time you've also become well aquainted with a lot of your stuff and how it works and you've  fine tuned your ears well beyond what they were 3 hours prior....not to mention you will not be as dependant on plugs if you can make friends with your basic tools.

Great advice!
post edited by No How - 2009/09/17 14:35:12

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Song-Producing Pearls ... 2009/09/17 16:12:35 (permalink)
drewfx1

just shut up.

Sounding too harsh

If you want that sound to have more warmth and sound smoother try cutting EQ instead of boosting EQ add LPF (roll-off the top end). It's very important NOT to get lost in the technicalities alone because professionals also rely on their ears and since every song is unique.

Writing lyrics! There are no limits only the ones who imposes on them self in regards to their own opinion. To rhyme or to not rhyme? it does not matter because the important thing is the way it 'sounds' in context with the song and if you want to sing about that old cliche 'Love' then go for it. Some lyrics may not even have to make much sense and remain a mystery, and if you use your imagination new words can be created.

Everyone will have their own take simply because everyone has their own opinion and methods of applying oneself much like everyone has their own likes and dislikes to which songs and styles of music they prefer.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1