Songwriting -perspectives ?

Author
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
2009/04/06 08:09:35 (permalink)

Songwriting -perspectives ?

I remember reading about songwriting many years ago and the writer suggested that at any given time there is a "formula" for writing a commercial song.
My guitar instructor mentioned at any given time there are certain chords that are prefered in songwriting. Maj7th's opposed to Maj 6th's for example.

I started trying to write the music for songs a couple of years ago and have followed no rules. I simply try to get the sound and feel. I don't even think about measures.

I don't read about songwriting nor have tried to get up on current music but maybe I should....

Enough about my outlook...I'm sure interested in any thoughts of others about writing the music. Lyric writing is of no interest to me at this time.

Oh..quirks are interesting too.For instance, I can't listen to music while I'm trying to write. I have to stop listening for a few days before I start, and usually start with a drum groove and guitar, looking for feel and "hook".

Thanks up front for sharing any thoughts about this.
Michael

27 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 08:39:12 (permalink)
    When I'm starved for an idea I open up my Chord Gadget and start strumming an acoustic guitar.

I'll pick a few chords and then start mashing the related chords in to see what happens... when I feeling it... I'll maybe shift over to the relative minor or start experimenting with some form of modulation to another key.

The results are usually formulaic... so that's not great... but I usually end with something I probably would not have stumbled upon without a kick start.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/04/06 08:41:23

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 09:07:40 (permalink)
    I dont know about other forms of music, but I once read that a great country and western song needed to have five ingredients
    trains
    momma
    pickup trucks
    prison
    getting drunk.

I heard a song once that had all of those elements and it was the perfect country and western song.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 13:45:53 (permalink)
    All of my songs are based on E-A-D
    All of my lyrics are based on love (lost or found).

What more do we need? Besides a good singer, a van, a place to practice, some gigs and money?
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 13:48:10 (permalink)
    I'm not a songwriter yet (according to John Lennon).

I've only written 37 songs and 11 ideas. Oh I just realized I'm not even half a songwriter yet.

JL said you're not a songwriter until you've written 100 songs.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 13:49:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

All of my songs are based on E-A-D
    All of my lyrics are based on love (lost or found).

What more do we need? Besides a good singer, a van, a place to practice, some gigs and money?

DENTAL Insurance.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 13:58:08 (permalink)
    Hmmm, good question.

I guess my approach depends on the style of music Im writing.

Generally with me there are two approaches.

1. - Write a chord progression then a melody
    2. - Write a melody and then fit some chords underneath it

Obviously this is very simplified.

Sometime, if im struggling to write (most of my stuff is instrumental) Ill pop on a DVD about Space or the Deep Ocean, or just look at some pictures on the stuff, very inspiring stuff to look at/think about.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 14:05:08 (permalink)

ive read books on that subject and done studies too. there
    should be "rules" in one sence and yet not in another.
    instrumental music is freedom from rules in a way but yet
    very challenging to to do with expression.

a great vocalist can do a lot with a melody. take a guitar
    and play that same melody and you find it lacks expression.
    one thing i like to do when writing something like it seems
    your wanting to do is to play the chords and melody at the
    same time on the guitar.

or play chords that have "sort of" molodic content. i recently
    took a standard jazz/blues structure and played it a few times
    then as i played the "changes" i added a "line" to it.

doing both at the same time limits the molodic line because
    you can only do so much when doing both at the same time.
    and likewise limits the chords too.

this is sort of like the way i write vocal songs too. i just
    blurp out "scat" lines and dummy lyrics. then go back and try
    to find words that will fit with the recorded off wall made up
    vocals.

thats why i mention that because when you just throw out
    whatever comes to mind many times its very creative. playing
    chords without 3rds is another idea. chords up the neck with
    open strings is another. the beatles tune "blackbird" was a
    unnique approach to chords.

Steely dan used unique chord structures. james tayler had a
    unique chord style too. his "do me wrong or do me write" tune
    has a very cool chord structure.

major 6s and major7ths "can" be sad sounding just like miners
    can be. but thats just it they can be it dont mean they are.

take the first finger and at fret 6 lay it on strings 3 and 4.
    take the 3rd finger and lay it on strings 1 and 2 at fret 7.
    play the open low E and then strike the strings 1234 you have
    an E 6/9 chord.

then you can move that same chord up and down the neck
    while still playing the open E.

then do the same playing the open A string (5th) string with
    the same chords. another idea is to play the first finger on fret
    7 5th string 4th finger on fret 9 2nd string with strings 3 and 4
    open.

then move that "2 finger" chord up and down the neck with
    the open strings. thats an idea as far as breaking away from
    the normal way of things.

i guess the point is too do something differrent so you dont
    rely on standard chords and scales. you can do the same with
    a major 7 chord or any chord for that matter using the open
    E and A strings

i find that if i rely too much on jazz chords i get stuck (sometimes)
    but after a change i can come back to them with a fresh look.
    jimmy
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 14:08:01 (permalink)
    I usually try to write a definite verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, with a bridge thrown in there if that doesn't make the song too long, even though 99% of my songs have no lyrics. And I suppose I use extremely typical chord progressions, simply because I'm still learning more about non-basic chords. Many of my songs start with a measure that I've heard from another song and I just build it from there. Or I sit and doodle at the piano and try to get inspiration. I once tried starting on all black keys and a pretty cool song came out that I don't think I would have gotten from the white keys, although that's strange. And the other half come from when I'm thinking about something--anything, and sing a phrase about it. Then I write the rest of the 'song' to finish that idea, although generally no more lyrics get written. Not sure if that's what you were after, but that's how I approach it.
    No How
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 14:09:04 (permalink)
    For me it's more like a very unstable condition that is erroneously cultivated.

I pretend I know how to write songs....
    The critical part of my brain has NO PLACE in it's creating stages.

Later after things are feeling like a 'song' then i will ask myself if it makes sense or is crap.(i should ask more often but I'm too lazy) ........because I know the 'Muse' flows where she is most loved and accepted in all her crazy unconventional garb.

Of course this could all change tomorrow.

Careful....keep doing it and it will keep doing you.
    post edited by No How - 2009/04/06 15:25:26

s o n g s

spacey
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 14:32:08 (permalink)
    Space I've heard that tune too..the day my mom got out of prison.

Rick I think the dental ins. is all I have going for me..well that's how I feel anyway. "The critical part..." You really hit home with that statement. I have to get in somewhat of a lost state of mind and just jam waiting for the part...very interesting part of the writing process to me.

Bapu I'm no singer nor song writer. I too lean to the "guitar keys".

Adji you make a very good point. When I sit down to write I try to find a groove and mindlessly play to it hoping a style will surface. The style does impact my choice of key and types of chords. The progression is "freeform" for me until I start hearing a melody. When I think it may have the makings of a song it's then that I try to gain song structure.
    Then I'm wondering about the chord construction - sounds that may be preferred, substitutions, modulations, voicing. This is one of the areas that was behind my post.

Janet I seem to start with basic chords too, for the most part and depending on style. In reply to your statement, I'm not after anything, just looking at the aspect of writing and how it works for others and their "thoughts" about writing. And any "rituals" or quirks that may seem to help them wether or not it does.

Cool all...thanks for replies.

Johannes H
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 15:38:03 (permalink)
    Many interesting thoughts here.
    I`m not sure if there are so many rules for song writing. I think we all have different approaches to it more or less.

"Sweet home Alabama" has basically D-C-G through the whole song. Classics like "Yesterday" and "God only knows" have lots of chords.

Lyric writing is of no interest to me at this time.

I think the "rhythm" of the lyrics can play a big part in a song. I think a common mistake is that there may be too few words in a song. There may be a good groove in the song but the vocals seems to try slowing it down and it`s getting dull.
    (English is not my native language so I hope it made sense!)

Best, JH

No How
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 15:53:58 (permalink)
    I haven't really given you anything to chew on here so i'll make more noise....

What almost always facilitates new ideas is playing with new toys like synths or different sounding pianos or guitar effects that will make something that normally i would not follow through on.
    It's also fun just getting melodies from humming or singing in the car...no chords, no toys, no anything but a simple melody. If i can not make a melody keep my attention i can be fairly sure it won't keep yours either.
    post edited by No How - 2009/04/07 16:35:56

s o n g s

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 16:31:54 (permalink)
    Randomness is my friend, but I don't use dice or anything. I just flick through many options, discarding nearly everything, until something goes - aha!.

I think that happens subconsciously, anyway - I just expedite the process. I never think about structure, really - that follows from what I find, whether that's a theme, or a phrase or a snippet - or essentially a whole tune, when done in one of the myriad 'normal' structures.

I just love trying out something on a hunch.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 16:59:28 (permalink)
    songwriting.... Yeah there's rules that should be followed...and there's rules that should be broken....the problem is.....nobody knows which is which.... it can change from one song to the next. So basically follow the rules...but screw the rules when necessary.

I recommend getting a good book or two on the subject. I like Jason Blume's 6 steps to songwriting success. It has many good tips and ideas in there for writing and improving your writing.

Try switching the instrument you write with....assuming you play more than one. Songwriting on a piano is different from writing on a guitar. Write the words first...write the music first...do it together.... each method introduces a different aspect to the writing/creative process.

Carry some sort of recorder with you even if it's a notepad.

One of Jason's ideas...set down each day and simply write....anything and everything that comes into your head. Don't be critical, don't analize, don't think, and don't erase. Do it every day for 30 minutes a day. Then after a week or so start taking time to work on some of..begin to compile it into coherent thoughts..... attempt to write one ONE line of music per day...but take the time to make it right. Since the average song has 3 verses and 1 chorus and usually a 2 line bridge.... allowing 4 lines per verse/chorus... 18 lines of lyric make the average song....some less...some more.... you should soon be writing ONE good song per month. It is totally possible to set down and write a billboard #1 hit in one setting.... not often, but it does happen occasionally...... most require lots of work....and rewrites. Most of the tunes you hear on the radio have been rewritten many times before they finally were polished to the point that they were accepted and recorded.

My goal in songwriting is to write as many as I can.....but more importantly.... I'd rather write ONE good song than 20 ok songs. OK songs are fine for friends, family and posting on soundclick, but if your goal is to accomplish something, like have a big name artist record it...OK isn't the goal.

One tip...don't write poetry...write lyrics.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 17:17:53 (permalink)
    Lately what I find works best for me, is I wake up hearing melodies. Its the wierdest thing. About a year ago, I started going straight into my music room and grabbing my acoustic and figuring out the chords to these, and writing them down. Then I started singing or humming these melodies into a handheld recorder and working on it later. These little ideas usually consist of verses or choruses and sometimes both.

As for lyrics, I get ideas from things I hear in movies, or books, or the news, or overheard conversations. Usually its one phrase. I've got a song that should be ready to post next week. The first line in the song, is something I heard an expert of financial matters say on a news show. It turned into a song completely different from the context of what the person was talking about.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Roflcopter
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 17:23:03 (permalink)
    Lately what I find works best for me, is I wake up hearing melodies.

Unfortunately, it's mostly just before I keel over that my mind loosens up and produces beauties unasked for, and I have to force myself to stay awake and write them down.

Let's swap that, your methods sounds way more relaxed.

As to using overheard phrases, I read that Faith No More singer at the time of Angel Dust just parked his car outside a mall, rolled open the window and wrote down interesting phrases he overheard, and mashed those up into semi-coherence.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 17:41:58 (permalink)
    What ever works...works!

I get ideas from things I hear people say, also from listening to music.... chord patterns, lyric lines.... I hear something and a thought is triggered... on how to say that in a different way.....

My song "flashes" tend to come in the middle of the night.... I wake up and it's there... I'm too lazy to get up, so I go back to sleep, and have totally forgotten it in the morning.

During the day.... when the flashes come... words, thoughts, melody, I try to write them down for later.... that has worked on several occasions...but normally, when I go back to work on it.... it's horrible, or juvenile, and so I scrap it.

I think the best stuff is, for me, when I set down and inspiration his me, and I start writing and either complete or almost complete a lyric at one setting. I try to rewrite and fine tune it as I progress with it.

Something that has really gotten me excited about songwriting is collaborating with other songwriters... either sending them my lyrics and music OR taking their ideas and working with them. I have found that (IMHO) the results are better than I could do by myself. There's a different dynamic at play....and the sum is greater than the individual parts. It's a cool thing to take someone elses lyrics, rewrite them, and bounce them back and they rewrite them again, factoring in the changes, and eventually, you end up with a song that is similar to the original lyric, but so much better, refined and honed by the process of collaboration.

Try that..... there's plenty of collaborators, and plenty of sites catering to songwriters..... but my collabs so far have come from among the ranks of the cakewalkers.

edit: I've got a collab (with Robby) coming out shortly .... be watching for it. (4-15-09 is the posting date)
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/04/06 17:50:58

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 17:53:03 (permalink)
    Great words everybody!

A wonderful thing reading your thoughts.

Rules is a biggy....I believe everyone is right on how they deal with that aspect. Maybe if nothing else, "rules" lead to either something or one breaks them. A tool that may be of benefit and may not. The definition of "rules" in music? What the heck are they? I guess my way of looking at the word - I see "common approach". For example a dominate 7th wants to resolve to the 1/root but we all know it doesn't have to. Same as "common progressions and turnarounds"- I IV V and II V ....common approach but other ways to do the same thing..other chords to use...maybe "tricks" one uses to break away from the norm. The knowledge of theory could come into play or searching for the right sound by ear..either way it may be an approach that one finds success with and is part of ones song writing tools.
    In the same lines of "rules" -one may look at chords differently. We probably follow the same theoritical approach to constructing a chord and maybe placing one in a key and at that we may have completed the "common approach". What happens next is possibly what I referred to earlier as leading to something else...
    That "something else" may be modal placement of a chord or very simple thinking of the chord for the sake of simplicity to jam or play over it. For example; I like to look at chords as three basic types; Major, Minor or 7th. Everything else is just a "color" added, to me. All the "alterations", colors.

The order in which we write- I'm sure there are many more than we've talked about so far and I would think there is no wrong or right way...just whatever works.
    It does bring up some questions though....Do you write the same way everytime? It was mentioned by Rick that using different instruments can spark ideas, (I have done that and it was fun too).
    Do you have a quirk such as the one I have where I can't listen to music for a few days? ( but not all the time. Sometimes a song just happens)
    Do you write lyrics first?
    Do you write the melody line first?
    Do you collaborate and you and your partner have a particular writing method?
    I wouldn't consider any of those as "rules" but ones common approach.
    "Rules" or templates for commercial music at any given time is interesting to me even though I know very little about the concept. I know it's real. There are certain chord types that are in favor for a particular style at any given time. Alternate tunings was a very big thing for Seatle grunge for example. Metal leans to power chords ( the root and fifth).
    The use of the template- again not a rule but maybe a common approach to get the ball rolling. The Beatles played box chords.
    So the thought of popular voicings may be of use or a common approach and lead one to the addition of "colors" later on in the composition.

I'm out of wind and stretching my typing capability...hope it's ledgeable.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 18:03:32 (permalink)
    The Beatles played box chords.

I like jumping around boxes too, just like some streetkid - when I said random I mean *within* some rule-set, whatever it is, conscious or not. Not in some vacuum, ofcourse.

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 18:37:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

Lately what I find works best for me, is I wake up hearing melodies. Its the wierdest thing. About a year ago, I started going straight into my music room and grabbing my acoustic and figuring out the chords to these, and writing them down. Then I started singing or humming these melodies into a handheld recorder and working on it later. These little ideas usually consist of verses or choruses and sometimes both.

As for lyrics, I get ideas from things I hear in movies, or books, or the news, or overheard conversations. Usually its one phrase. I've got a song that should be ready to post next week. The first line in the song, is something I heard an expert of financial matters say on a news show. It turned into a song completely different from the context of what the person was talking about.

Randy

I'm with Randy here! Sometimes actually dream I'm playing with people and the song is pretty detailed. Now that my studio is perpetually set up, I can get up and lay down what I can remember and then go back to sleep. I can't fall back asleep unless I do. Then I'll go through stuff when I'm looking for material and start listening to the snippets. I think it's important to record melodies as they come, and even if you sit on them for months, they're at least there.

Lyrics come a lot from books, sometimes from general ideas or phrases I hear. Sometimes I'll hear a story on TV (when and If I ever watch), or from somebody I talk to. sometimes the music spawns a series of vocalizations that I then figure out the words to.

There's no rhyme or reason, but I think it's just important that when the muse comes, you give it the respect and time it deserves and at least find a way to harnass what comes, even if it seems insignificant at the time.

I had a song that turned into a 6 minute — awesome song, that started with a single line in a dream.

spacey
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 19:11:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

The Beatles played box chords.

I like jumping around boxes too, just like some streetkid - when I said random I mean *within* some rule-set, whatever it is, conscious or not. Not in some vacuum, ofcourse.

The voicing of chords is something I personally use to influence myself for writing. I mentioned the aspect of voicing as an approach to writing in wonder if others may do the same.
    If I'm understanding you correctly- you like to write with "box" chords and a diatonic approach to determine your progression.
    Please correct me if I missed something.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 19:15:47 (permalink)
    I have several toolies that I use when I get stuck, using the same Roman notation, so it doesn't matter in what key I start (can figure out all that later, or change it), and that chart is just lying about when I go hunting for cool progressions. It's by no means sacred, tho.

spacey
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 19:24:28 (permalink)

I have several toolies that I use when I get stuck, using the same Roman notation, so it doesn't matter in what key I start (can figure out all that later, or change it), and that chart is just lying about when I go hunting for cool progressions. It's by no means sacred, tho.

Oh. Yes I know about the numeral reference and didn't realize you were mentioning your method of "taking reference notes".
    That is a very good way of keeping track of progressions. I think it helps to commit them to memory also.
    I'm working with a student presently on using that with tracking only the bass roots on the fretboard. Incorporating "visual" with the Roman numeral progression sure helps a beginner too. (using both vertical and horizantal patterns).
    Roflcopter
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 19:32:26 (permalink)
    Well, the idea behind that particular chart is that you start on the I, and can jump anywhere you like, but have to return to the I following the given pathways.

But sometimes, depending on what I'm doing (dyads, triads, tetrachords) in all sorts of different tunings, I can find that one 'forbidden' combination that really grabs you. Also depends on the instrument, and higher/lower register. Our tuning isn't perfect, either.

spacey
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 19:57:35 (permalink)
    Now I finally see...thank you for clarifying. That is very cool.
    No How
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/06 20:09:50 (permalink)

Well, the idea behind that particular chart is that you start on the I, and can jump anywhere you like, but have to return to the I following the given pathways.

But sometimes, depending on what I'm doing (dyads, triads, tetrachords) in all sorts of different tunings, I can find that one 'forbidden' combination that really grabs you. Also depends on the instrument, and higher/lower register. Our tuning isn't perfect, either.

yessireee!!! That 'forbidden' combination in the RIGHT place is the jewel.....wish i could find it..

It's also fun to play around in a key I'm not as familiar with because I stumble into neighborhoods i would normally avoid and, wah-lah,....something newish... Inverting bass notes in chords has tremendous power to change the feel of an otherwise stock change...(Beach Boys on Pet Sounds...lots of inverted bass lines completely creating new sounds to traditional phrases.)
    post edited by No How - 2009/04/07 16:32:22

s o n g s

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Songwriting -perspectives ? 2009/04/07 04:12:44 (permalink)
    I used to compose solely on the guitar - sit down and bang out a riff, work out the chord progression and nail the sucker.

What opened up a whole WORLD of possibilitites was when I started playing around with EWQLSO. I started writing a simple piece, added a counterpoint line and built a song up from NOTES rather than CHORDS.

When finished, I ran back through the piece and struggled to fit a standard named chord (G Maj, Am7 etc) anywhere within the piece.

Working this way adds another weapon to your arsenal - I haven't totally eschewed the guitar/chord way of working - my latest piece is based on a very simple guitar riff.

You never know when a moment of inspiration will hit you or where a piece will take you, unless you're one of the VERY few people who can work out an entire song structure from a couple of notes/chords so be open-minded when you're noodling around.

I've got an ongoing Sonar project simply called ideas which is alwys open with a blank audio track aremed & ready to go when I'm noodling. That way, I've always got something to work on whenever inspiration is lacking.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1