Songwriting/Collaboration

Author
Glennb
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
2008/10/23 20:54:07 (permalink)

Songwriting/Collaboration

I will put this here for want of a better place.

Over the last 6-12 months I have been enjoying getting into some composition, writing, recording and production. Loving it.

What really got me started was that due to real life (read continuing professional study, 3 kids, work, wife, kids sport....you get the idea), I had to leave my band which was very successful playing probably 3 nights a week playing covers. I really felt a musical void which was quickly filled by a writing collaboration between me and the lead singer from my old band. I had never thought that I could write music but quickly found that in this collaboration I was coming up with worthwile stuff and together we were coming up with cool stuff. It was also giving me a chance to use some stuff learned here in a real context. All too cool.

Then, my old band I think put a bit of pressure on the singer and I get a weird text from him saying he couldnt write or record with me any more. I was a bit bummed but then he asks if I had anything else and we had a quick flurry of writing, but again it has dropped off. I have come to the obvious conclusion that due to my old band, this is not really sustainable.

So I am considering looking for a new collaborating/songwriting partner. I am considering putting an ad in a local industry mag but think I should also look on the net. This is NOT that ad. I dont think I want to ask here because I like the "production" side of it as much as anything and if I find a collaborator here, I can imagine either he/she or I will miss out on the production/engineering side of it. In an ideal world I want to find a good singer with great melody/lyric ideas and I guess just enough tech savvy to be able to record good vox as a wav.

More I think about it, unless this mythical person has some access to good recording gear/set up it isn't going to work.....I am not sure of what I am after I guess. My question for the good folks who have gotten this far in my ramblings is, does anyone know some good songwriting/vocals forums or websites that might be a first point of call?

AS much as I am loathe post them because none of them are finished, examples of what I am up to are here..

Glenn

My Soundclick Page
post edited by Glennb - 2008/10/23 21:25:35

Glenn in Aus
SHSXL6 on laptop with Intel i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67 GHZ 2.67GHz 4G RAM (2.86 usable?) 32Bit operating system on Windows 7 -> Presonus USB Audiobox.

4 Replies Related Threads

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Songwriting/Collaboration 2008/10/23 21:12:50 (permalink)
    Glenn, maybe you could put a link so that those interested could check out the style of music you do. You may get some collaborators who like the same style stuff you do.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Songwriting/Collaboration 2008/10/23 21:16:33 (permalink)
    Glenn,

If you find a bunch of these guys, point one my way. I'm looking for the exact same thing. I have a very bad time with lyrics &, as most of you can attest, I'm not much of a singer. Good luck.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Songwriting/Collaboration 2008/10/23 21:25:16 (permalink)
    Glen I can see your point in not wanting another "Producer" as a collaborator. Boy that could be a very tense arrangement!

Good luck. I'm looking for a good singer. I can write lyrics and make a melody (I think can anyway! )

[edit spelling]
    post edited by Grem - 2008/10/24 13:49:36

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Glennb
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Songwriting/Collaboration 2008/10/23 21:29:53 (permalink)
    There actually was link, but it was a bit hidden, I've made it clearer.

Funny thing about collaboration. The stuff I have recorded so far isnt really what I want to record. I would prefer a more harder edge rock, similar to alter bridge etc. but somehow, vai the collaboration, it always ends up as something else which is a good and a bad thing.

Glenn
    ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

Glenn, maybe you could put a link so that those interested could check out the style of music you do. You may get some collaborators who like the same style stuff you do.

Randy

Glenn in Aus
    SHSXL6 on laptop with Intel i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67 GHZ 2.67GHz 4G RAM (2.86 usable?) 32Bit operating system on Windows 7 -> Presonus USB Audiobox.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1