Sound Card Compatability

Author
J.Stubbs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2009/03/24 22:23:11 (permalink)

Sound Card Compatability

Recently installed CWMC4 on a different computer - a Toshiba Satellite. It is telling me that it does not support the drivers for my soundcard (Realtek A97) for output - meaning it will not playback.

Anyone know how to make this work? I need to start using this machine.

Thanks!

19 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/24 22:46:42 (permalink)
    Change your driver mode to MME. MC4 and all Cakewalk products default to WDM, which the AC97 usually doesn't support well, if at all.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    J.Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/24 22:57:33 (permalink)
    Thhhhhhhhhat did it! Thanks a ton.

I also gotta say - I only come to the CW forums every so often when I have an issue, but I can always count on someone to swiftly, courteously and appropriately answer my questions. I go to all kinds forums: tech, music, film, et al... and this one by far has the most helpful members. Thanks again!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 00:04:08 (permalink)
    I have only visited a few forums, and there's always someone there ready and waiting to pounce on the latest newbie. Their anonymity seems to give them the power to berate total strangers who are only looking for help.
    It's easy to say "read the Help file, idiot", but I know when I started out, I had no idea of the terminology used, so it would have been hard to find the answer to a particular problem when you didn't know what to call it. Here, you can explain the concept of what you're looking for without getting your head bitten off, and someone will get the gist of your problem and try to fix it.
    I like it here, and with 3 days off a week, I visit often.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 08:38:04 (permalink)
    Very well put Greg, the people here "MC Forum" are glad to help without berating you.There's nothing worse than having someone who with no doubt started out the same as a newbie as we all did, berate you and make you feel like an idiot.The people here helped me a great deal when i decided to give this DAW a try.Good people here for sure!!!!!

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 08:52:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 57Gregy

I have only visited a few forums, and there's always someone there ready and waiting to pounce on the latest newbie. Their anonymity seems to give them the power to berate total strangers who are only looking for help.

Greg, the SONAR forum, and to a lesser extent, the Home Studio forum on this site seem to be exacltly as you describe here - I cannot for the life of me see what the point is of just typing RTFM in answer to someone's question. Why not just give them the answer (which they will invariably know) or don't bother.

I used to call these pillocks out for doing it but their stock answer seems to be that before they will get involved in really answering a question, they expect the questioner to have done some research of their own and have reached a certain level of competence with the software.

He he - I believe I still have the last (i.e. unanswered) post in a thread where I was battling single-handed against a couple of the RTFM brigade which went along the lines of 'why have a forum in the first place' if nobody wants to chip in with some answers! I also pointed out that if the manual was so bloody good then why does nearly every SONAR user seem to also own a copy of Scott Garrigus's SONAR Power book! The silence was deafening!

I know this has been discussed before but it is uncanny how many of the RTFM crew don't have a single measure of music posted for the rest of us to critique.

Staying with the SONAR and Home Studio forums, contrast the attitude between these wasters and the likes of our very own Beagle and RobertB, who both frequent and contribute positively to both these rooms.

Bob won't mind me mentioning a recent thread in the SONAR forum where he was settling down for an hour or two to literally walk someone through a particular set-up problem - the two-way conversation was going fine until a couple of the regulars decided to poke their oars in and seemed to actually berate Bob for employing this particular (and very successful may I add) method of giving assistance; their general thrust being that the poster should have obtained a certain level of competence and shouldn't be needing Bob's help in this way.

I chipped in and explained that this method was often employed in the 'friendlier' forums around this site and had helped a lot of folk to actually 'understand' what they were doing instead of just following a list of instructions without actually knowing why they were doing so.

Plus those of us (I count myself lucky enough to be one of them*) who have learned the techniques by having some time and effort lavished on us are, in my opinion, more likely to be those, who in turn, are prepared to offer the same level of help and advice to others.

Steve

*Bob's tutorial on 'Using Busses' allied to a few basic questions transformed my whole way of recording (for the better) and helped me to transform my workflow and mixes overnight - all for a couple of hour's effort on Bob's part.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 09:19:31 (permalink)
    He he - I believe I still have the last (i.e. unanswered) post in a thread where I was battling single-handed against a couple of the RTFM brigade which went along the lines of 'why have a forum in the first place' if nobody wants to chip in with some answers! I also pointed out that if the manual was so bloody good then why does nearly every SONAR user seem to also own a copy of Scott Garrigus's SONAR Power book! The silence was deafening!

Very Impressive Work Steve .... ( I'm still just an MC4 user and not familiar with the SONAR Power Book, but I believe the overall software is very similar in nature to MC4 is it not ? ) Thanks for looking out for the learned ... This stuff really isn't that intuitive even for some of us who have done recording in the past.

Curious, though, was it just the divide and conquer aspect of using busses that "helped you to transform your workflow and mixes overnight" or are there some additional tid-bits that you can share about your revelations ---- Thanks in advance.

- TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 09:31:50 (permalink)
    I occasionally run across a new user in some other (hardware or software) forum asking questions.... I normally send them here to MC because I know regardless of what platform they are using, they will be treated kindly and get the answers they are seeking.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 09:41:18 (permalink)
    that's usually true.

there have been a few members who come in here with an attitude as well. but for the most part this forum is very helpful to newbies and old timers alike.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 09:41:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

I occasionally run across a new user in some other (hardware or software) forum asking questions.... I normally send them here to MC because I know regardless of what platform they are using, they will be treated kindly and get the answers they are seeking.

Big +1 to that Herb - IMHO there's more knowledge floating about in here anyway, as well as a far more friendly manner in which it is shared.

ORIGINAL: Tap

Curious, though, was it just the divide and conquer aspect of using busses that "helped you to transform your workflow and mixes overnight" or are there some additional tid-bits that you can share about your revelations ---- Thanks in advance.

He he - workflow really James, I sort of knew how to run busses to a limited extent but Bob's tutorial just made everything click into place - I now knew the why part of the equation which meant I could set up my own bussing systems correctly and more efficiently.

Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 10:44:32 (permalink)
    Yep, +1 to Steve on that. I wasn't new to MIDI/DAW recording when I joined the forum end of last year, but I had taken the best part of a 10 year break from pro studios, and a completely different career track. I've consistently found this forum to be a pleasure to be a part of and try to add my new found knowledge where possible as a result. Every week there's a question or two on Soundcard/Latency problems (I had the same), and it's great that people respond to each one with so much more than 'discussed before - use the SEARCH button' responses.

Wood

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    Tap
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 14:36:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for you honesty Steve, and your comments Wood...

I thought for sure there was something else I was missing out on ........

... I'm Not always the Brightest Crayon in the Box ...

I was an Amateur Recording Engineer in the Day of Mag Tap and there were always tricks and tips with that stuff.

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 15:54:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tap

Thanks for you honesty Steve, and your comments Wood...

I thought for sure there was something else I was missing out on ........

... I'm Not always the Brightest Crayon in the Box ...

I was an Amateur Recording Engineer in the Day of Mag Tap and there were always tricks and tips with that stuff.

-TAP-

The two best tips are to get a decent soundcard and a decent set of monitors, learn their limitations and work within them

For instance, I use a pair of Edirol nearfield monitors to mix with - much, much better than using my hi-fi (as I did before I got them) - they're very clear and pretty flat but they can't handle bass frequencies like a big set of studio monitors can.

Knowing this basic limitation, I've learned to deliberate boost the bass on them when I'm mixing to prevent me adding bass in my mixes that isn't required.

Steve

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 16:09:33 (permalink)
    Yeah... I remember a few new users coming here with bad attitudes.... like we were cake staff and owed them working software and hardware.....even after informing them that we were not..."and please answer our question about your system" they keep posting the same demands.... oh well...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 16:30:35 (permalink)

The two best tips are to get a decent soundcard and a decent set of monitors, learn their limitations and work within them

Yep ... Well, the Behringer USB has paid for itself so far. I'll probably get something better once I dedicate a computer system for it.

Fortunately, I've finally got the Monitors [ Event 20/20 near fields powered by a Bryston 2B lp Pro Amplifier ]
    and it sounds friggin fantastic even driven direct from the Behringer ... Bass is represented very nicely!! By having that I have been able to gauge my headphones and am really surprised at how close I can get with these cheap Sony's !!!

Back in the old days of Mag Tape ... I had a pair of Senheiser headphones and they were too good ( sounding ) for the mix, so I used them only for listening for enjoyment and bought a pair of mid line Yamaha headphones which didn't color the sound too much.

Thanks Steve !!!!

-TAP-

GreenEyedIrishman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/25 18:32:42 (permalink)
    I think since coming here the only thing I wish this particular forum had is stickies. Quite a few of you have done some amazing and simple walkthroughs that get pushed back a few pages until you remember to bump them again. These walkthroughs (along with the "Please post your system stats in your first post") should always be at the top in my opinion. They've really made me delve farther into the program than the tutorials did, and they are also nice to have to go back through to catch that one little check mark I forgot to put in.

As far as the quality of help and people this forum has, it's probably the best out there. The RTFM crowd on forums are the pits, and it seems like the past 10 years they have gotten progressively worse and more widespread. You think Sonar is bad, head to the AutoCAD site sometime. How some of those people haven't been "randomly" run over by a car is beyond me.

Q6600x3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio 2496, Vista64, MC4-64, Xenyx 802, Takamine EF-349, '63 Granada, '65 Granada, '65 EB-4, MD-100S-12, Shure BG 2.0

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/26 07:41:37 (permalink)

Back in the old days of Mag Tape ...

You mean they don't use tape anymore? :) There was something very special about going into the studio store cupboard at the start of a new album session and signing out several boxes of shiny new Ampex 2" tape. Then sitting quietly aligning tape heads, and setting the levels on the multitracks before striping with timecode. Then the band and producer would arrive followed by several months of musical activity punctuated by the odd fire, tantrum and full-on belly laughs. Looking through those rosy spectacles I'm trying to remind myself why I quit!

Wood
    post edited by Wood67 - 2009/03/26 07:42:17

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    Tap
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/26 09:41:24 (permalink)
    Wood,
    Mine was only 1/2" Grand Master (only 8 Tracks) .... Which today costs probably about 3 times what I paid for MC4 .....
    I never striped a tape .... But this was only for Home use !!!! I never got the DBX units either.

Kevin,
    Actually, a lot of the good stuff posted here has been archived over at music town...... Run by Robo and Beagle...

Music Town

If there is anything here you think should be added just let Robo or Beagle know.

-TAP-

-TAP-

GreenEyedIrishman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/26 20:20:52 (permalink)
    Wow, just wow!

I had briefly hit that link and thought it was a private forum for Beag and Robo so didn't explore.

That's like the sky opening up and the angel chorus ringing out! My new favorite bookmark!

Q6600x3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio 2496, Vista64, MC4-64, Xenyx 802, Takamine EF-349, '63 Granada, '65 Granada, '65 EB-4, MD-100S-12, Shure BG 2.0

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Sound Card Compatability 2009/03/26 22:32:21 (permalink)
    And if anyone is interested in real-time help, register at Music Town, and there is a link at the bottom for 'DAW Chat' or something like that. A chat room where you can receive direction as you work with MC. No one as yet has taken advantage of it, though.
    Just post here that you have a problem or want to know how to do something, and if any regulars are willing, you might get instant help!

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1