Sound Exchange

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2010/08/04 11:28:45 (permalink)

Sound Exchange

I was about to sign up with Sound Exchange until I read this from a SE Representative:

SoundExchange collects royalties when sound recordings are used on satellite radio (like SIRIUS-XM) , Internet radio (like Pandora), on cable TV music channels, and certain other streaming services. SoundExchange DOES NOT collect for digital downloads (like iTunes or “podcasting”) or “on-demand” and “interactive” services like YouTube or MySpace, where a user can select and immediately play the song she wants to hear. SoundExchange also does not collect for the streaming of any audiovisual work, including music videos. We also don’t collect for sound recordings used on radio, because radio doesn’t pay artists for using their work – yet.

Seems it's only relevant to artists who make it to the big time.  Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet. 

Anybody here on Sound Exchange?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

5 Replies Related Threads

SoundExchange
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sound Exchange 2010/08/04 14:50:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for your question, Dave! A quick glance at our system confirms that there is, in fact, a balance of funds waiting for Dave King. Please, please, sign up to get it!

You've got to get with SoundExchange. We pay on a per-play basis for almost all services, which means that every spin, no matter how many or how few, gets counted and generates a royalty. It may not be a ton of money, but there are certainly lots of indie and smaller-audience artists getting paid by SX. Besides, Internet radio is far more indie-focused than the traditional outlets, which means smaller artists are making more money than ever through digital plays. Besides, registration with SoundExchange is always 100% free, so even if you're not raking in the big bucks yet, there's nothing to lose. By signing up now, you ensure that you'll receive every payment due to you. Whether it's $10 bucks now, or $10,000 five years from now, every little bit helps, right?

BTW, if anyone else is curious as to whether your music is generating royalties, you can always check out our PLAYS database (Performance Log Archive of Your Songs) at plays.soundexchange.com - it's updated each quarter with what services have told us they're playing.

Best,
    Laura Williams
    SoundExchange
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Sound Exchange 2010/08/04 15:59:41 (permalink)
    ... SoundExchange collects royalties when sound recordings are used on satellite radio (like SIRIUS-XM) , Internet radio (like Pandora), on cable TV music channels, and certain other streaming services. SoundExchange DOES NOT collect for digital downloads (like iTunes or “podcasting”) or ...

Something is wrong with this wording ... what a rip! ... so iTunes can sell it for 99 cents and SoundExchange does NOT collect anything for it? Wow ... that is wrong!

What do you need SoundExchange for if iTunes has it and you can collect directly? Not sure they do single bands though ... the prophet only deals with millions not peanuts! Which would be stupid because they could make a fortune off a lot of stuff on Youtubeless and facelessbook!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Dave King
    Re:Sound Exchange 2010/08/04 21:54:53 (permalink)
    I think SoundExchange is trying to fill the gap for music where it is not covered by the traditional music licensing companies such as BMI and ASCAP. 

They are also making an effort to get legislation passed that would also reimburse artists (as opposed to composers) each time music performed by them is broadcast, streamed or whatever.  This is already sone in other parts of the world, but not the U.S.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Sound Exchange 2010/08/04 22:54:29 (permalink)
    Dave, I've been looking at SoundExchange for awhile now. I won't endorse them or slam them at this point. Take a look at this for a couple of different views of the organization.

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2010/05/get-paid-when-you-get-played/

Randy
    post edited by rsp@odyssey.net - 2010/08/04 22:55:56

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Dave King
    Re:Sound Exchange 2010/08/04 23:06:33 (permalink)
    Dave, I've been looking at SoundExchange for awhile now. I won't endorse them or slam them at this point. Take a look at this for a couple of different views of the organization. http://diymusician.cdbaby...d-when-you-get-played/ Randy

Thanks for the info.  Very informative.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1