Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones

Author
HeatherB
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2007/05/19 22:44:14 (permalink)

Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping maybe someone can help me- I've ran into a problem and I tried searching the forum but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and I'm trying to record from my keyboard into Sonar. Well, when I play back my recordings they're fine and they come out of both sides of the headphones and speakers, but when I'm actually doing the recording, it only comes out of one side. So like I said, it plays back the way it's supposed to, so that's the important thing, but it's kind of annoying only hearing sound out of one side of my headphones or speakers when I'm actually recording.

Do any of you know what I could do to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies Related Threads

Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones 2007/05/19 22:50:22 (permalink)
    I'm trying to record from my keyboard into Sonar

it only comes out of one side

IF it was a mic (MONO) - find the control panel/mixer window of the audio interface (the FastTrack) and pan that single channel (left or right input) to the center.

..but it's a digital keyboard so use STEREO recording/monitoring for these..connect two cables (L/R) of the keyboard's outputs into 2 inputs of the card..you should be able not only to get better recordings but also solve your monitoring situation there..you'll have a full left and right image of the sound in your headphones (unless something there is set wrong..)
    HeatherB
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones 2007/05/19 22:56:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Honest_Al

IF it was a mic (MONO) - find the control panel/mixer window of the audio interface (the FastTrack) and pan that single channel (left or right input) to the center.

..but it's a digital keyboard so use STEREO recording/monitoring for these..connect two cables (L/R) of the keyboard's outputs into 2 inputs of the card..you should be able not only to get better recordings but also solve your monitoring situation there..you'll have a full left and right image of the sound in your headphones (unless something there is set wrong..)

Thanks so much for the tip- I haven't recorded with my mic yet, so I'm glad you told me this. May I ask why there's different rules for recording with a mic? Should you only record mic recordings in mono?
    Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones 2007/05/19 23:13:43 (permalink)
    YW

When the source is mono there's no need recording it in stereo..the recording's size on the hard drive will be double. The PC will also use more resources to play it all back although any modern PC can handle it just fine.
    stereo (it's like 2 mono channels) is needed only when you have a stereo source..your mic is mono (I bet) ..your vocal in a big room would benefit from stereo recording (2 mics or one stereo mic) to capture the ambience better..but you probably sing close to the mic (that's the way it should be in most styles and/or low budget recording)

read about it here - http://ask.metafilter.com/43651/How-can-I-record-speech-in-stereo

Edit: more of the same.. http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:u66XAiofe3UJ:community.sonikmatter.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t35481.html+vocal+mono+or+stereo+recording&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us
    post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/05/19 23:24:29
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Sound Only Coming From One Side of Headphones 2007/05/19 23:57:26 (permalink)
    (it's like 2 mono channels)

I know you know but please don't say this in polite society.

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1