Sound Replacement

Author
pacofat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2016/11/17 15:20:30 (permalink)

Sound Replacement

Hi,
I don't quite understand the steps needed to replace kick and snare drum transients with library *.wav transients in Sonar 8.xx Producer.  AudioSnap pallet extracts transient info which can be "Saved as Groove" or "Copied (to clipboard) as MIDI" events.
1)  Is velocity information included along with transient time marks?
2)  How are time and velocity information entered into a new MIDI track?  What is the difference between "fixed" and "variable pulse" replacement?  Is it simply velocity (amplitude of transient) info?
3a)  Do you need a patch for the MIDI track?  What if you only have a group of *.wav drum hits?  The MIDI notes need to be mapped to specific drum components (kick, snare, toms, hi-hats, cymbols, ...) right?  Is it necessary to create an instrument patch for them?
3b)  How do you get library (*.wav) drum hits into the mix?  Create a separate audio track for that MIDI whose Input is he instrument patch output created in question 3a?  Is there another way?  Enter the *.wav's as clips?

I know these are basic mixing 101 questions.  It seems like much work is needed in Sonar (compared to the equivalent ProTools method) for sound replacement.  I have several recorded drum tracks with bleed from other drum transients which I would like to eliminate and sound replacement seems like a better method than splitting up each track into all its transients and attenuating the unwanted bleed-throughs.
Thanks, -c

1 Reply Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Sound Replacement 2016/11/18 10:54:30 (permalink)
    It's a lot easier in Platinum.......

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1