Sound card I/O and CPU usage related ?

Author
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
2006/11/30 13:11:53 (permalink)

Sound card I/O and CPU usage related ?

Anyone have the answer for this.. if you have a sound card that has a lot of I/O channels does it use more CPU then one with only a 2 or 4 ? Also, does it matter if they are all enabled in Sonar or not ?

Also, does it cause Sonar to use more CPU or is it just the driver that might use more ?
post edited by ohhey - 2006/11/30 13:29:19

2 Replies Related Threads

Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Sound card I/O and CPU usage related ? 2006/11/30 13:38:20 (permalink)
    I made this comaprison using Sonar 5 Demo, SB Audigy 2, ASIO 16/48, sonar3test (most plugins missing and therefore not loaded) ...

2 In/2 Out vs 20 In/20 Out --> result were 1% increase by the Sonar CPU usage meter.

Maybe this wasn't the best system for testing since some those I/Os are HW only (DSP I/O's, not physical connectors).

Junski
    post edited by Junski - 2006/11/30 14:05:52

jim y
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Sound card I/O and CPU usage related ? 2006/11/30 14:46:27 (permalink)
    It's not a clear cut thing.

ASIO drivers, and certain "multichannel" WDM ones run all channels in a single interleaved stream, so there's a certain consistency whether using 2 or many more channels, although the system has less work preparing buffers if there's fewer channels actually in use. Many WDM drivers provide seperate channel pairs, so when not tracking with multiple channels, you could concievably cut down a little system overhead by deselecting all but a main stereo pair.

The multichannel drivers should be a more efficient option if the project is using most of the available channels, however a single pair of a seperated WDM drivers channels would be less overhead IF that's all that required and none of the other channels are selected.

M-audio Delta series WDM drivers provide both multi and seperate channels (but the ASIO is always Multi).

Above all that, interfaces tend to always use the same number of bus cycles whatever the demand, usually in bursts of 32 clocks, enough for all the channels in most devices.

Yes, I know it's upside down.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1