OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2010/07/10 20:40:48 (permalink)

Sound cards/interfaces

I am a bit rusty about gear.

I am using XP sp2.

Complete hobbyist.

I want to run S8.5 Producer (my last use was S7 Pro maybe 2-3 years ago) and most of my work (95%) will be composing MIDI by writing, and maybe recording MIDI data from outboard gear. At this stage recording Audio is very secondary.

So really at most I want a stereo in/out for audio and a single MIDI in/out port. My main need for the card is to have Audio out, in stereo, to earphones or line for monitoring. But I do want a reasonable card so I get good results for nice flat response etc. I want at least me to get it right, however anybody else listens to the product

So should I get a USB card or a PCI card? Also what brands of each are the best bang for buck regarding sound quality, stability (usually a driver issue)etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

38 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/10 21:05:04 (permalink)
    Go PCI card for low latency. Stay away from EMU cards as the latency performance isnt as good. I recommend an Echo Mia midi or gina 3G.

I wouldnt go firewire either nles you for sure have a texas instrument firewire on your motherboard, which is not too common it seems.

PCI is pretty much a sure bet.

As far as USB, if you want to spend around 1300-, the RME usb interface is fantastic and has great low latency performance.

Lower cost, great performance and sound? PCI, I recommend the echo stuff again, but also, the m-audio audiophile 192 has proven itself for some time now as well.

The gina 3G is awesome because you get a breakout box that you can set at your desk to work with, plug in and out of easily-

I liked my mia midi, but the gina 3g gave me some great convenience, as well as light pipe if I want to add more inputs eventually when I start tracking live drums and full bands at once-

Because you will mainly be a softsynth guy, you need low latency performance fo the sound to play back right when you touch the keys.
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2010/07/10 21:06:06

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 00:57:42 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for that! I was a bit concerned that my question was a bit vague, but these are really concrete answers. Really do appreciate it. A couple of years out of the loop can make things really tough. There was a time when I could answer questions like this

Nick
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 03:37:59 (permalink)
    Yeah they certainly look like BftB! Excellent user reviews as well.

I figure the 8 "virtual outputs" on the MiaMidi are pretty superfluous if using SONAR. Just another mixer to learn and load up?

One review did comment that they were "looking for a card that had A/D and D/A conversion outside the PC so it would take the load off the PC". That is incorrect isn't it? The implication was that this card somehow passes work to the PC.

Being a bit of a tech freak, I hate you for mentioning that break out facility on the 3G!   Mind you, auto-sensing inputs is no bad thing either.

Nick
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 05:55:50 (permalink)
    Lanceindastudio
    PCI is pretty much a sure bet.

Not so sure about that. The standard PCI slots are fast becoming a thing of the past, so although you might have one in your computer now, it's likely that your next computer (or next mobo) won't, and your card will be obsolete.

However, unless you monitor midi drums through a softsampler, chances are that just about any current USB interface will give you adequately low latencies (depending on project size and CPU resources). I've performed keyboards live through a lowly M-Audio Audiophile USB and it worked great at 128 buffer size on my craptastic old HP laptop. No detectable latency when playing (a pro pianist playing Chopin or whatever might disagree though, I dunno...)

If you use a software amp modeller live you have to consider the input as well as the output latency, but for some reason I feel that I can deal with longer latencies when playing guitar than keyboards. You might not, though!

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2010/07/11 06:06:50

Lanceindastudio
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 06:15:23 (permalink)
    1 2 or 3 synths live is one thing, but stacking 5 to 15 synths in a project like I do is another...

I will stand by my recommendation for PCI unless you want to spend over a grand for a usb interface...

Again, firewire is a gamble according of the firewire chipset, the interface and just how well it will behave in any given DAW...

I dont agree with the notion that PCI is going away soon- I think most computers will save us at least 1 PCI slot for a while to come, but if Jim Roseberry could chime in on this as he is a DAW builder professionally, it might help clear that up.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 06:31:53 (permalink)
    Still appreciating the chat guys. Thanks.

I know there are so many ifs and buts. That is why I posted, but also why I was afraid my question may be too vague.

I have noticed that it's harder and harder to get MoBos with more than 2 PCI slots. I guess if I kept my PC for 3-4 years and found that I could not get PCI slots any more...well....I have a Yamaha pre-pci (what was the name of that bus? ) midi/sound card somewhere that cost a heap, and several other obsolete things, so, c'est la vie.

By that time we will have a USB 3 and more speed!

Hey! Guess what one of the midi controllers I have is? Drum pads. Sorry.

When I can upgrade a piece of software for a hundred bucks, including new operating system compatibility and heaps more DAW power, compared to the old hardware days it's a bargain. In fact the synths I can get for the cost of a new Sonar are zilch compared to what a rack of synths used to cost, with ten times the power.

I know nothing of firewire, and the ones that work seem pretty specific, so I will steer clear.

Again. this is great. You guys have treated my question with respect and that is worth a packet.

Nick
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 11:23:29 (permalink)
    Yeah, I would reccomend PCI as well in this case.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 13:17:48 (permalink)
    Fire wire is what I use... on a factory Dell lappy.  I have a Saffire... it's a 2 channel audio one channel midi interface. I do all my music on it in my small home project studio.

If you are doing solo projects...(One man band sorta stuff) or are laying down one track at a time with friends, a small USB interface with audio and midi is all you need.

Even though you said you don't need the audio, I recommend that you get an interface that supports a stereo (2 channel) audio input..... you never know when you might need it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 20:28:03 (permalink)
    Middleman

Yeah, I would reccomend PCI as well in this case.

Is there any advantage to USB? It seems to be getting increasingly popular, maybe edging PCI out.
    Guitarhacker

Fire wire is what I use... on a factory Dell lappy.  I have a Saffire... it's a 2 channel audio one channel midi interface. I do all my music on it in my small home project studio.

If you are doing solo projects...(One man band sorta stuff) or are laying down one track at a time with friends, a small USB interface with audio and midi is all you need.

Even though you said you don't need the audio, I recommend that you get an interface that supports a stereo (2 channel) audio input..... you never know when you might need it.

hmmm..yeah. I am just concerned about latency/stability.

I am definitely going to get audio! Be mad not to, even if it's just for say, ambient sounds etc. And who knows? I may suddenly find myself working with a singer or guitarist! I play keyboard, but of course that's MIDI. There is not much that cannot be emulated these days

Nick
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 21:42:59 (permalink)
    I agree that PCI interfaces have some strong pluses.  BUT...They (PCI slots...) are going away.  So make sure your interface is PCIe or better compatible.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/11 22:02:52 (permalink)
    hmm....yes, that is a valid point. I just checked a few out and they are now having 1*PCI slot and four or more PCI-E.

HAH! Does anyone but Creative make one?

Nick
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 01:18:15 (permalink)
    Lynx and RME.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 01:20:25 (permalink)
    Ok. Thanks. Also Emu have PCI and PCIe versions of their IOs.

Must ....not....rush

Nick
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 03:52:55 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for that! I was a bit concerned that my question was a bit vague, but these are really concrete answers. Really do appreciate it. A couple of years out of the loop can make things really tough. There was a time when I could answer questions like this

If this is the Nick W. that I remember from back in the day...
    Welcome Back!!  

If you're primarily composing "in the box" (via soft-synths), then there's no need to go expensive/complicated with the audio interface. 
    ie: M-Audio Audiophile 192 would be just fine
    Solid drivers, good sound, low round-trip latency....

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    alphonse
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 07:49:14 (permalink)
    Its the difference between real external adapters and sound cards. I refer to external sound cards. There is no comparison that I saw a card internal or external. Its all a matter of trial and error and  or personal preferences. Goto site like NewEgg and read user reviews.
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 08:28:34 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Welcome Back!!  

If you're primarily composing "in the box" (via soft-synths), then there's no need to go expensive/complicated with the audio interface. 

The audiophile 192 is PCI - Echo makes a few PCI units- you just got recommended a PCI unit by a pro DAW builder. I rest my case.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 10:29:39 (permalink)
    OldNick

I am a bit rusty about gear.

I am using XP sp2.

Complete hobbyist.

I want to run S8.5 Producer (my last use was S7 Pro maybe 2-3 years ago) and most of my work (95%) will be composing MIDI by writing, and maybe recording MIDI data from outboard gear. At this stage recording Audio is very secondary.

So really at most I want a stereo in/out for audio and a single MIDI in/out port. My main need for the card is to have Audio out, in stereo, to earphones or line for monitoring. But I do want a reasonable card so I get good results for nice flat response etc. I want at least me to get it right, however anybody else listens to the product

So should I get a USB card or a PCI card? Also what brands of each are the best bang for buck regarding sound quality, stability (usually a driver issue)etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

If you need something cheap get the M-Audio Audiophile 192. If you can afford a Lynx L22 or RME 9632 card then go for it.  PCI cards are best but USB will work, just verify that it will autoswitch sample rates like an internal card does, not all of them do.

Note:  Some cards don't include a MIDI interface now but you can add a USB MIDI interface if you need one. The drivers for audio I/O and MIDI are not connected in any way so it doesn't matter if it's made on the card or not.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 12:56:59 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Welcome Back!!  

Based on the stated requirements, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would get the job done and costs about $80 less than the 192.  This is the card I use, and I'm completely happy with the sound, the driver compatibility (I run XP) and the stability.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 14:23:36 (permalink)
    Based on the stated requirements, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would get the job done and costs about $80 less than the 192.

Aside from being cheaper, there's one more reason I prefer the 2496 over the 192. The 2496's control panel lets you set up an audio loopback internally. So you don't have to patch a cable out-to-in to record "What-U-Hear" for when you need to.  Its monitor output shows up as a recording source. It's a very handy feature.

ohhey
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 15:47:51 (permalink)
    tarsier

Based on the stated requirements, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would get the job done and costs about $80 less than the 192.

Aside from being cheaper, there's one more reason I prefer the 2496 over the 192. The 2496's control panel lets you set up an audio loopback internally. So you don't have to patch a cable out-to-in to record "What-U-Hear" for when you need to.  Its monitor output shows up as a recording source. It's a very handy feature.

However, the 2496 has only unbalanced I/O. When I had one the noise floor was noticeable.  If you have monitors or preamps that have balanced connections the 192 would be better. 
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 19:48:05 (permalink)
    Phooh! Okaayyy! If I miss anybody I am really sorry.

Jim, yes it probably is NickW. Right back to newsgroup days. Bit of a sabbatical in between. Thanks for the recommendation and it's an honour. You have really hung in there.

Lance. Point taken!

Frank. The ones I am looking at all have MIDI, so no trouble there. At this stage I would stay simple, as I am just working my way back into the whole thing. At this stage I would also probably stay unbalanced (some would say that was a given ) . If I get more serious or start working with somebody with a balanced mic, then it's a whole new ballgame and another card would  be minor.

Question: In my days, balanced was XLR. If I get the 192 with balanced I/O are the plugs/sockets set up so I can use unbalanced gear? AFAICS they are stereo 3.5s (although they look like RCA!) presumably with the shield going to the "earth" of the socket. ???? I realise this undoes the entire balanced bit, but it would be handy for now.

There isn't a "confused" emoticon....

Nick
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 23:35:57 (permalink)
    Nick, in answer to your question. You latency is going to be lower using PCI than USB. Actually that depends on the drivers. I use the Lynx card and it has very low latency with ASIO drivers.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/12 23:48:36 (permalink)
    Yeah. Somebody else mentioned those. But I just checked a price! I just cannot justify that at this stage.

Nick
    ohhey
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/13 00:06:34 (permalink)
    OldNick

Phooh! Okaayyy! If I miss anybody I am really sorry.

Jim, yes it probably is NickW. Right back to newsgroup days. Bit of a sabbatical in between. Thanks for the recommendation and it's an honour. You have really hung in there.

Lance. Point taken!

Frank. The ones I am looking at all have MIDI, so no trouble there. At this stage I would stay simple, as I am just working my way back into the whole thing. At this stage I would also probably stay unbalanced (some would say that was a given ) . If I get more serious or start working with somebody with a balanced mic, then it's a whole new ballgame and another card would  be minor.

Question: In my days, balanced was XLR. If I get the 192 with balanced I/O are the plugs/sockets set up so I can use unbalanced gear? AFAICS they are stereo 3.5s (although they look like RCA!) presumably with the shield going to the "earth" of the socket. ???? I realise this undoes the entire balanced bit, but it would be handy for now.

There isn't a "confused" emoticon....

Balanced connections just need 3 contacts so they can be XLR or 1/4" TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). The M-Audio uses 1/4" TRS sockets on a pigtail cable.  The TRS plug is just like the ones used for headphones.  You can get cables that adapt from TRS to XLR. So if you get a mic preamp with XLR out or powered monitors with XLR inputs all you need are the correct cables to hook it up.  

If you are handy you can make your own cables here is the basic pinout if your XLR it pin 2 hot.

TRS      XLR pin

If you do get a card with balanced I/O and need to hook up unbalanced be sure to check the manual on how to do that. For example some say to connect shield to pin 1 and center to pin 2 but on the Lynx card you connect shield to pin 3 and center to pin 2 and leave pin 1 open.  On others it might even have you shot pin 2 and 3. So you have to check the manual or web site to confirm.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/07/13 00:11:06
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/13 01:20:21 (permalink)
    DONT get the EMU PCI unit- I dont know how well the PCI-e unit runs. If it runs good, that would be awesome because the hardware is really good on those units. Problem is, their drivers arent as good and so a person ike you doing only midi recording needs low latency settings, period...

Usb units, unless you spend some hefty cash, are not going to perform as well as PCI units. Neither will firewire units(and the chipset factor, etc. is another variable with firewire units).

Plenty of motherboards still have PCI slots, and Im sure they will carry one for a long time, just like serial ports havent gona away after all this time, or analog video ports.

It is safe, and the best option for you to get an echo mia midi or m-audio !P 192 unit at the lower price you want to pay. You simply wont do better and you will be able to do what you want to do with these pieces of hardware.

You dont need preamps, you dont need usb portability, so just go PCI and be rest assured you will get the performance you need.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    danbob
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/13 01:36:55 (permalink)
    +1 for MAudio 192.  
    OldNick
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/13 04:37:13 (permalink)
    I tried to do a multi-quote, but got my reply all tangled up with the quotes.

So. Frank. Thanks for that. I was Ok with the principles of balanced I/O, but I had never worked with TRS, and that was where I was concerned. Quite happy to put stuff together. The bands I used to work with were very poor! and I built most of the stuff. So, thanks for the heads-up about checking for each card.

Lance. As you said, if Jim sez PCI then who am I to argue? Thanks for the driver issue warning. If the gear is so good that is a great shame.

With the Gina 3g, it says it has auto-ranging inputs. At a basic level that should remove the need for preamps for mics, n'est-ce pas? Just a thought for me.

daniel. Thanks for the extra vote. It all helps.
    post edited by OldNick - 2010/07/13 04:55:00

Nick
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/13 13:49:28 (permalink)
    i've had great results with my Maudio Audiophile 192 card.

spdif, midi, analog, all good.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Lanceindastudio
    Re:Sound cards/interfaces 2010/07/14 00:21:02 (permalink)
    yes the gina 3G has some very decent preamps actually-

I like to use my outboard preamp, but the gina pre's are very transparent.

It works really well-

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: