SoundToys no longer require iLok account (but still use iLok copy protection)

Author
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
2018/11/20 21:06:08 (permalink)

SoundToys no longer require iLok account (but still use iLok copy protection)

Starting with SoundToys v5.3.0, the plug-ins may be activated with an Activation Code and no iLok account. See http://support.soundtoys....-need-an-ilok-account-

Update: Sorry for the confusion, SoundToys still uses iLok copy protection.

post edited by scook - 2018/11/21 16:54:48

12 Replies Related Threads

Fleer
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/20 21:08:59 (permalink)
    Thanks scook, good news.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/21 15:48:40 (permalink)
    That's great news. And just in time for Black Friday deals.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/21 15:51:33 (permalink)
    After some clarification by Soundtoys, the plugins DO still use ilok (which has to be installed) but you don't have to have an ilok account.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/21 16:01:18 (permalink)
    Just tried to open an account, but it wouldn't let me do it without an iLok ID.

That's a shame. I already had two items in my shopping cart. Sorry, SoundToys, but back you go onto the naughty list.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: SoundToys no longer require iLok account (but still use iLok copy protection) 2018/11/21 17:07:13 (permalink)
    SmokeyJ628
    After some clarification by Soundtoys, the plugins DO still use ilok (which has to be installed) but you don't have to have an ilok account.

I'll take your word for it and have modified the OP accordingly. It is very confusing. SoundToys support has added a page for using an Activation Code which indicates no iLok is necessaryhttp://support.soundtoys.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2961252-how-to-redeem-an-activation-code but as pointed out above, their account creation screen still requires an iLok ID. AFAIK, one cannot get an iLok ID without creating an iLok account.
    SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re: SoundToys no longer require iLok account (but still use iLok copy protection) 2018/11/21 18:51:23 (permalink)
    Post over at KVR: 

"Hey, Vito from Soundtoys support here!

We're still using PACE iLok authorization in our software, but we wanted to make it easier for newer customers who are wary about making iLok accounts or have experienced trouble doing so.

For new purchases from Soundtoys.com (with the exclusion of upgrades and Academic Bundle purchases) we are issuing Activation Codes. After installing the software, you can redeem your code in the activation window that will pop up when you open your DAW. You will also have the option to log into an iLokaccount, or continue with the activation without an iLok account.

If you later decide that you want to manage or upgrade that license, you can follow some steps in the iLok License Manager to add the license to your account:
    http://support.soundtoys.com/customer/e ... se-manager

You will still need the iLok software installed on your computer, but one of our most common issues was users having multiple iLok accounts by accident and either logging into the wrong one, or purchasing it to the wrong iLok account.

For purchases from dealers, like Sweetwater or Plugin Boutique, we distribute serial numbers, which can be added to your Soundtoys account / iLok account via https://www.soundtoys.com/authorize(https://www.soundtoys.com/authorize).

For upgrades and Academic Bundle purchases, licenses are deposited directly into iLok accounts (for the time being).

So, in conclusion, this only affects plug-in purchases from our own webstore, and allows for users to activate plug-ins without thinking about iLok accounts, unless you want to think about iLok accounts.

We know that existing users might have some questions with this new method, but we're hoping that this makes for a smoother experience in the long run. Any existing licenses will not change, so long-time users need not worry about anything changing (except for a more reliable installer downloading experience). 

Our support box is always open and we're happy to help suss out your activation problems as soon as we can!"
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/22 00:36:08 (permalink)
    "We're still using PACE iLok authorization in our software, but we wanted to make it easier for newer customers who are wary about making iLok accounts or have experienced trouble doing so.

For new purchases from Soundtoys.com (with the exclusion of upgrades and Academic Bundle purchases) we are issuing Activation Codes. After installing the software, you can redeem your code in the activation window that will pop up when you open your DAW. You will also have the option to log into an iLok account, or continue with the activation without an iLok account.

If you later decide that you want to manage or upgrade that license, you can follow some steps in the iLok License Manager to add the license to your account:
    http://support.soundtoys.com/customer/e ... se-manager (http://support.soundtoys....-ilok-license-manager)

You will still need the iLok software installed on your computer, but one of our most common issues was users having multiple iLok accounts by accident and either logging into the wrong one, or purchasing it to the wrong iLok account.

For purchases from dealers, like Sweetwater or Plugin Boutique, we distribute serial numbers, which can be added to your Soundtoys account / iLok account via https://www.soundtoys.com/authorize (https://www.soundtoys.com/authorize).

For upgrades and Academic Bundle purchases, licenses are deposited directly into iLok accounts (for the time being).

So, in conclusion, this only affects plug-in purchases from our own webstore, and allows for users to activate plug-ins without thinking about iLok accounts, unless you want to think about iLok accounts.

We know that existing users might have some questions with this new method, but we're hoping that this makes for a smoother experience in the long run. Any existing licenses will not change, so long-time users need not worry about anything changing (except for a more reliable installer downloading experience).

Our support box is always open and we're happy to help suss out your activation problems as soon as we can!"

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439075&p=7223677#top

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/23 17:15:50 (permalink)
    Sounds like they are making it more difficult!!

After reading the support guys explanation, it sounds like the only people who are affected are people that have multiple iLock accounts and don't know which one to use!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/23 18:01:00 (permalink)
    I found it confusing. Had something like the post from KVR been prominently posted on the SoundToys site, I would not have created this thread. 
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/26 20:19:10 (permalink)
    I purchased several SoundToys plugins after the great sale they had for Thanksgiving for $29.99. I was confused also as to installing the software so, since I already had the iLock License Manager on my PC, I just used that. However, when I attempted to create a SoundToys account, I wouldn't allow me to create the account without providing my iLock username.  I thought it was strange that it would require my iLock username to create an account but state that it no longer required users to have an iLock account. I never provided the iLock username, but later I received an email stating that my Soundtoys account was created, (STRANGE) 

Get the website together SOUNDTOYS.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/26 23:22:33 (permalink)
    I had 7 SoundToys plugins, and managed to snag the bundle (along with the Effect Rack) at 50% off for something around $60. Bargain!

Since I already had the original 7 soft-authorized via iLok, the upgrade was super simple. Log in. Provide iLok username. Done. Almost. The 7 individual iLok licenses were deactivated for me and the new bundle license was in my iLok account. I just needed to authorized it to my PC. N.B.: I can't use the dongle. Never was reliable for me. Won't even TRY any Steinberg products with their eLicenser dongle. Bastidges.

I saw the emails and notifications on the new licensing method, but it wasn't offered to me. Since the iLok software authorization HAS been rock solid for me, I would have chosen that path anyway.

I have no idea how they're going to handle their accounts now. When it was just iLok, you logged in with username and password. You then provided the iLok username (you could have more than one at a studio, for example) to access your downloads.

I expected a rather large installation file for the bundle. Most of the individual plugin installation files were in the neighborhood of 1/2 GB each. The entire bundle was less than a full gig! Put a smile on my face. Actually bought me back a few gigs of hard drive space.

The Effects Rack makes getting the bundle really attractive. Keep picking up individual licenses when a deep discount happens somewhere. Everyone I bought brought my bundle upgrade cost down. That seventh one was magic, dropping it to just over $100. I almost paid that, then waited for BF. Woot! They discounted the upgrade!

Which cost me less than my new Instant Pot, due today! Come ON, UPS! Got some chili to make!

Don't you just LOVE this time of year?

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: SoundToys no longer requires iLok 2018/11/27 16:45:40 (permalink)
    AAAAWWWWWEEEEEE,  Soooo CCUUTTTTTEEEEEEE!!!

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1