Soundcard, another what to buy...

Author
metz
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2009/03/30 02:56:48 (permalink)

Soundcard, another what to buy...

Hey!

I'm on the lookout for a new soundcard. I've decided not to go for USB or Firewire but instead PCI. Today I have a M-audio Delta 66 with the Omni i/o breakout box. It seems like I have blown the inputs on the Omni i/o or the delta. The omni i/o isn't available anymore so I have to get something new..

Anyone got any suggestions? Someone mentioned the EMU 1616-card. Any experience? That creative-logo makes me nausious... What's it like compared to the Delta? I know about the effects but I really don't care about that (especially since they don't work above 48khz).

What I need:
1. I need it to have XLR-inputs
2. I need to be able to connect my electric guitar
3. I need a breakout box like the Omni I/o with headphone connector (preferedly a large one)
4. It needs to support at least 96khz 24bit
5. Low latency (at least as good as the delta)
6. Good drivers
7. It has to work well with Asus motherboards (I'm using the Asus P5Q-E), and yes I know people here say they suck with DAWs.
8. It of course has to work extremely well with Sonar 8 ;-)
9. I play the occational game from time to time. So it really should be able to use it for games as well (and again, I know you shouldn't use your Daw for that kind of stuff but no one's perfect.. )) ;-)
10. Ease of use

What I don't need (of course it's not bad if they do have this but it's not necessary for me)
1. Midi
2. 192khz
3. On board effects
4. 8 thousand inputs. All I need is at least one XLR, one for guitar (that's tele right?) and one line in.

Many thanks in advance!
/M

4 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Soundcard, another what to buy... 2009/03/30 07:19:48 (permalink)
    The Emu cards are good. I had the 0404. I found the patchmix interface very confusing as have others. I eventually sold the 0404 on ebay because I found it to be to much of a PITA to work with. That's my side of the story..... other people love them.

RobertB (user name) I think is an Emu user... I'm sure some others are as well. Check with some people who use them on a regular basis.

I now use a Firewire Saffire.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/30 07:20:26

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Soundcard, another what to buy... 2009/03/30 08:49:16 (permalink)
    FIRST and most important - you didn't list your budget. Recommendations won't mean much if I give you recommendations which are out of your price range.
    Second, this statement:
    I'm on the lookout for a new soundcard. I've decided not to go for USB or Firewire but instead PCI.
    and this one will limit your choices extremely.

some recommendations:
    M-audio 1010 $599 has 2 XLR inputs and a total of 8 balanced (including the 2 xlr) analog inputs and it also has SPDIF and MIDI
    EMU-1820 $399 has 2 XLR inputs/mic pres and a total of 6 analog inputs.
    EMU-1616M $450 2 XLR mic pre inputs and a total of 4 balanced inputs but it has superior A/D converters.

there are others available, but without budget info, that's a good start.

7. It has to work well with Asus motherboards (I'm using the Asus P5Q-E), and yes I know people here say they suck with DAWs.

I'm not sure you're going to get many recommendations based directly on your motherboard unless someone happens to have the same one and happens to have a soundcard which meets your other criteria. most of these soundcards won't have problems with specific boards, especially if you're not going with firewire, but to get a direct recommendation on your motherboard compatibility is probably pretty difficult.

9. I play the occational game from time to time. So it really should be able to use it for games as well (and again, I know you shouldn't use your Daw for that kind of stuff but no one's perfect.. )) ;-)

I do the same thing and my m-audio delta 44 does just fine for ALL sounds - as you know from my posts in the sonar forum.

10. Ease of use

based on this requirement I don't think I'd go with the EMU stuff. the EMU has a software patchmix panel that is quite complicated. it's very powerful and once you get it set up you can probably just leave it that way forever - but it's not SIMPLE to setup. there are lots of others on these forums who use the EMU cards, however, so getting help should be easy enough.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Fred S
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Soundcard, another what to buy... 2009/03/30 11:55:52 (permalink)
    I'm using a 1616m. The patchmix was difficult for me to understand. But, I did finally get it set up properly and the unit has been working well for me. One thing I like about the 1616m is 2 midi ins and outs. I use several controllers and find that feature helpful to my specific setup.
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Soundcard, another what to buy... 2009/03/30 22:10:04 (permalink)
    I use the E-MU 1616M, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. With regard to your requirements:

ORIGINAL: metz

Hey!

I'm on the lookout for a new soundcard. I've decided not to go for USB or Firewire but instead PCI. Today I have a M-audio Delta 66 with the Omni i/o breakout box. It seems like I have blown the inputs on the Omni i/o or the delta. The omni i/o isn't available anymore so I have to get something new..

Anyone got any suggestions? Someone mentioned the EMU 1616-card. Any experience? That creative-logo makes me nausious... What's it like compared to the Delta? I know about the effects but I really don't care about that (especially since they don't work above 48khz).

What I need:
    2. I need to be able to connect my electric guitar
    3. I need a breakout box like the Omni I/o with headphone connector (preferedly a large one)
    4. It needs to support at least 96khz 24bit
    5. Low latency (at least as good as the delta)
    6. Good drivers
    8. It of course has to work extremely well with Sonar 8 ;-)
    10. Ease of use

What I don't need (of course it's not bad if they do have this but it's not necessary for me)
    1. Midi
    2. 192khz
    3. On board effects
    4. 8 thousand inputs. All I need is at least one XLR, one for guitar (that's tele right?) and one line in.

Many thanks in advance!
    /M

The ones in bold are the only ones that it might not fulfill. The strengths of the unit are its very high sound quality for the price range, good build quality, and flexibility. As the name implies, it has (technically) 16 inputs and outputs. It has on board DSP. The Patchmix mixer software mentioned above is kind of complicated, but I haven't found it necessary to mess with it once you've got it set. If you want a really good end result for recorded audio, I would recommend it highly. If low latency is a primary need, you might have to look elsewhere. It's not terrible, but it's not the absolute best in that department.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1