Soundfont soft synth and latency

Author
boten
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
2004/09/14 03:43:49 (permalink)

Soundfont soft synth and latency

I mainly use soundfont in MIDI , sfz+ is the soft synth I use for that purpose.
Even though I'm aware that soundfonts require lot of CPU resources to run I typically run several channels without major issues provided I do not push the latency below 15 ms. Sometimes I found that when I record short duration notes this latency is not good enough and lot of quantizing needs to be done to fix that. (just as a reference I can run at about 5 ms latency if using the soundcard MIDI soft synth but it is pretty crappy and I gave up on it)
I have two questions:

- Does anybody has experience with soundfonts running (say 5 or 6 patches running at the same time, where some of the sounds are several MB sized) at lower latency levels, could I expect something better with soundfonts, I use the sfz draft mode to compose music so it requires less cpu resources)? (My system is described below)

- Is it recommended to use a hard synth, such as an external sampler to free up CPU usage for soundont playing instead of the sfz+? Does anyone have experience with such samplers and how are they used with HS?

Even I use a lot of soundfonts patches in parallel, I didn't have a dropout yet but I hear some glitches from time to time especially when two piano type sounds are loaded in the sfz+?

IBM Notebook - Centrino 1.7 Ghz - 1 Gb RAM
USB Creative Soundcard used with Windows USB WDM driver - as original creative driver wasn't performing well

Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Soundfont soft synth and latency 2004/09/14 10:59:53 (permalink)
    Render your softsynths tracks one at a time as audio and with effects (mute all the other tracks rather than solo). Audio tracks take up much less CPU than softsynths so you can run your song at a lower latency. Archieve your softsynth tracks and keep them in case you need to go back and edit them, but they won't be a drag on your CPU.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitslinger
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1018
    RE: Soundfont soft synth and latency 2004/09/14 12:30:28 (permalink)
    I'm working on a project that utilizes one softsynth that is not a cpu hog, and two instances of SFZ with one soundfont 15mb in size, and the other 54mb. Both instances of SFZ are maxed out performance-wise. The quality is set to 72--the most demanding, and the mode is SF32, also the most demanding. With a P4 2.4ghz cpu, my maximum cpu usage is 30% at the lowest latency setting for my ASIO driver mode, 4 ms. By adding a couple of more instances of SFZ with added soundfonts my usage will probably jump up to 70% or higher.

There are clearly limits to how many instances of SFZ one can run in a project. Keep in mind the RAM required to run a soundfont using SFZ is 2.5 times the size of the font. If you try to use five 50mb soundfonts, 1.25 gb of RAM is required.

Intel I5-2500K
    ASUS P8P67Pro mb
    16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
    ASUS EN210 silent GPU
    Hyper 212+ CPU fan
    Fractal Audio midtower case
    Corsair TX650 PSU
    ASUS blueray optical dr
    WD 500gb SATA hard drive x 2
    Windows 7 Professional
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Soundfont soft synth and latency 2004/09/14 16:54:14 (permalink)
    AT, THanks, I thought that as a potential solution before, however I rely very much on the interdependency of different instruments when I'm composing, so it has never happened to me that I finished a whole track without being almost finished with the rest, because I work in parallel. In this case I would need to apply bounce to tracks very often and I guess it would be a nightmare.

Thanks guitslinger for the data, I guess just wanted to get some proportion about my minimum latency under high sfz utilization and the conclusion is that I might not be doing that bad considering I'm using an USB card and no ASIO driver. I also tried changing the DMA sample number settings but when I decrease them a little I only hear noise. Well...
    Appreciate your inputs.
    < Message edited by boten -- 9/14/2004 4:56:46 PM >
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1