Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok?

Author
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
2010/07/01 19:09:56 (permalink)

Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok?

Hi gurus,

So I've got Win 7 64bit and Sonar 8.5.3, and all is well! Until I just heard the Soundtoys native bundle v4. Love it.

Here are the questions!

1) I know Soundtoys is only 32 bit at the moment - is anyone with a 64 bit setup  using Jbridge or BitBridge successfully?

2) I have no iLok at present and would have to introduce this to my system.    Eh? Horror stories or Urban Myths?

3) Are there any other awesome effect suites that are 64bit compatible, no iLok, and sound fantastic?

thanks in advance for enlightening me . . .
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video

17 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 19:16:01 (permalink)
    I have a number of plugins that are iLOK'd, and I've had no problems at all -- at least none that I could attribute to it.

In the days of past there were problems, but most, if not all, have been resolved.

I prefer simpler protection, but it's ok to use iLOK these days in my humble opinion.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 19:56:26 (permalink)
    Just got the Sound Toys Native bundle myself today.  ilok no problem at all.  But when I first instantiated a plug...Decapitator...I got a CTD.  Not so good.  But after reopening Sonar and trying all the plugs out all seems well.  The only niggling concern is that when changing patches I sometimes get the scary "momentary white screen"...but so far, so good.  They are simply incredible plugs (and so easy to use).  Would love to hear more folks chime in with their experiences.  Also very disappointed that "Speed" is not included for us VST users.  Dern!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 20:02:44 (permalink)
    Depending on what you are doing, one has little choice but to use iLok (EWQLSO) and eLicenser (VSL).

The main things with iLok are: 1) do not lose the dongle; 2) do not lose your account info and password (both obvious points).

If it breaks, you can always ship it back to iLok. 

The one key thing iLok does not yet have is a 64 bit driver for the Mac.  There is no issue that I am aware of with the iLok on a 64 bit windows o/s.

Jim
    gwp99
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 21:07:33 (permalink)
    The only issue I had with the iLok was trying to register with iLok at their website - their site doesn't work properly under Opera - with no error message being given - so it took a while to figure out I had to use IE to register.

X1E-64bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Sonica Labs Hush QT- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66G, 8GB  RAM, RME Fireface UFX (using Firewire), 3 eSata internal/many external hdd's    
    emeraldsoul
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 21:48:46 (permalink)
    Right on, yorolpal . . . can I ask if you are using 64bit Win7 and some kind of bitbridge?

muchas gracias (saw your avatar)   -Tom

A work in regress:

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 23:10:54 (permalink)
    No problem w/ iLok here.  Works fine.  I haven't even heard any horror stories in the last few years.  I think it was a matter of getting the kinks worked out.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 23:32:37 (permalink)
    Besides having the ****ed Dongle thing hanging out of my computer begging to be accidentally hit and broken off, I have had no problems with ilok either.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/01 23:40:38 (permalink)
    No, right now I'm on 32 bit.  But I've got a new DAW sitting about 6 feet from me now that ol Jim Roseberry built for me that's a 64 bit Demon Machine that I hope to start migrating to sometime this weekend or next week...I can't wait!!  I'm sure I'll need JBridge or some such to run many of my existing plugs.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/02 11:22:37 (permalink)
    LpMike75

Besides having the ****ed Dongle thing hanging out of my computer begging to be accidentally hit and broken off, I have had no problems with ilok either.

Get yourself a USB extender cable and put the iLok into that.
    FWIW I haven't had any iLok problems either.
    Works fine here.

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/02 12:50:26 (permalink)
    iLok works, and it is, I'm afraid, a necessary evil if you want to use some of the higher end tools like SoundToys or Waves. PSP supports (supported?) iLok, but their most recent updates have dropped that support, I'd guess temporarily.

Copy Protection of some form is pretty much expected by investors these days. I do not believe that there is any CP scheme that is not break-able, but if I ran a company that created software I'd at least look at it I suppose, and it may slow down the spread of pirated copies at least a little.

<rant> if people would simply respect the intellectual property rights of those who create intellectual property we would not be in this mess. But a portion of the population does not believe that they should have to pay for music or software or movies or whatever. They have completely distorted the concept that "information wants to be free", and they have latched on to "free as in beer" without ever spending any effort to understand these concepts. If people would just show some respect for others things would be a lot better for all of us.</rant>

In the meantime, at least they've finally managed to work out the bugs in iLok. I use it, I don't like it, but I do like the tools that I get to use.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/02 18:06:30 (permalink)
    I don't like the idea that I had to PAY for my iLOK device.. don't mind the copy protection scheme better for us all in the long run if pirating gets limited.

And, I have had much FEWER issues with the iLOK versus that software PACE version (which really SUX and has hosed my registry more than ONCE when I tried to get it off my system).

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/02 18:30:04 (permalink)
    Ilok is OK

Soundtoys can be a little weird (GUI wise) but Echoboy is so good that I would put up with just about anything to have that plug - just stupidly good... I hear the same thing about Decapitator but I have URS so I will pass for now.. The new one they have coming out will be the absolute game changer - cant believe I waited so long to get onboard with Soundtoys..some of the best plugs around hands down...more then worth having and Ilok for ...

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

emeraldsoul
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/02 19:37:06 (permalink)
    Thank you very much!!! All of you!!!

I was also hoping to discover if Soundtoys plays nice with Sonar 8.52 64 bit Windows 7 . . . I'm afraid I've heard that Soundtoys doesn't record automation from Sonar using bitbridge in 64 bit. Am I wrong? Does Jbridge work?

thank you kindly - any 64 bitters out there enjoying Soundtoys?

-Tom

A work in regress:

jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/03 09:36:36 (permalink)
    64 bit WIN7 and SONAR 8.5.3 x64 here using ECHOBOY... works except the automation but I don't use the automation anyway... it will sync up with BPM as delay times.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/03 12:24:50 (permalink)
    The problems that come along with iLok are usually because people don't keep the drivers updated. If you keep them updated (especially when installing software updates that require iLok), then you shouldn't have any problems.

Just be sure to always do a complete image backup of your system before making any major changes. I used Acronis for that purpose... http://newtechreview.com/?Acronis

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

gothic.angel
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 572
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/03 12:47:41 (permalink)
    Hi guys...

in my opinion, i-Lok, much as eLicenser and any other dongle, should be dismissed...
    People should never buy software with "protection systems" that only succeed in hassling honest customers... they DON'T limit piracy at all.... they encourage it..!!!

I choose (and always purchase...) Cakewalk products NOT ONLY for their top quality, but ALSO for their extremely fair protection policies...

I would never get my computer fulfilled with i-loks, Steinberg keys, Wibu Sys, Propellerhead's one, and any possible new comer's...!!!

Some companies now are finally understanding this, and I've much appreciated KORG for recently dropping that awful eLicenser for both ANALOG and DIGITAL Legacy Collection...

...unfortunately others have started, like propellerhead's Record injection key (How disappointing...) while others are getting completely insane: see Ableton Live allowing their new DEMO(...!!!) versions to work only if Internet is connected on the machine...!!!
    This would really be the end of customers...

here is my plea:

Always buy your software, NEVER chose dongle (un)protected ones....

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

birdg735
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Soundtoys/iLok . . . should I fear iLok? 2010/07/03 13:15:09 (permalink)
    garrigus

Just be sure to always do a complete image backup of your system before making any major changes. I used Acronis for that purpose... http://newtechreview.com/?Acronis

Also, Acronis WD edition is free if you have at least one WD drive in your system.  I've been using it the for six months or so and it works great on creating backup images -- much quicker than Ghost.  Haven't had to restore from it (knocks on wood)

- B
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1