Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments

Author
dankuz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/12/02 12:44:29 (permalink)

Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments

Gear: Yamaha PSR-280 keyboard, Roland SD-50 Mobile Studio Canavas sound module, M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 sound card
Software: Sonar X2 Producer,  Z3TA+2_x64 soft synth, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Goal: Split one keyboard in order to play two seperate instruments at the same time

Since I have only one physical keyboard (PSR-280), I would like to be able to play two seperate patches, either from a soft synth such as the Z3TA or from the Roland sound module, or even a combination of both.

I've done quite a bit of research on this, and I was unable to find a solution that didn't involve third party software.

Do note, that I'm basically a guitar player and that I use those effects live. That being said, I need to be able to switch between instruments on the fly. I know this is a tall order, but to add to the list.. Would be nice if when I switched instruments (so far I have one synth per track), that the previous instrument would decay naturally... And not cut off abrubtly.

Can someone out there help this noob out? 

Regards,

Dan

4 Replies Related Threads

swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re:Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments 2012/12/02 13:01:53 (permalink)
    you can have 2 separate midi tracks, each with echo on, routed to a different soft synth.  on each of the midi tracks insert an instance of the midi event filter in the fx bin.  then in the event filter, turn on the notes option and select a range of notes to pass through.  this will create a keyboard split and allow you to play multiple synths across the range of the keyboard. 
    alternatively, you can have one softsynth on midi channel 1 and one on midi channel 2 and switch between the channels on your keyboard.  this will allow you to play one synth at a time dependent on the channel you're using.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

dankuz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments 2012/12/02 16:16:44 (permalink)
    Swamptooth,

Thanks so much for your info, it worked like a charm. Initially, I couldnt find the midi event filter (I was trying to apply it directly to the soft synth's effects bin). After creating a new midi track for each synth, it worked beautifully.

I had a bit of a hindrance when it came to laying out the actual split of the keyboard, but then it donned on me that I didn't have a full size keyboard (doh!). Once I had the layout mapped to keys that actually existed, everything worked fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Dan
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re:Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments 2012/12/02 16:25:22 (permalink)
    Sure, dan. that's one of the midi fx that are particularly useful. glad it worked! :D

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re:Splitting a midi keyboard to play two different instruments 2013/07/13 17:38:42 (permalink)
    EDIT: wrong thread
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1