Splitting up clips for Matrix

Author
wz061s
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 385
2005/06/09 23:42:36 (permalink)

Splitting up clips for Matrix

I have two quick questions for you guys that have had the time to play with v2 a bit:

I want to quickly break up my v1 clips on bar markers to make matrix grooves in v2, in order to remix my own tunes. Is it possible to select all tracks and split them on a marker all at once to facilitiate this?

Also, do you afficianados have any suggestions for the best workflow to accomplish this?

Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/10 21:58:24 (permalink)
    WZ,

Apparently I am a zero resplies kind of browser. I dont know how to do what your asking but it sounds like as long as v1 can split where you put the cursor, you could slowly do it, which is better than nothing. Maybe there is a faster way, dont know. Maybe someone will see this BUMP and answer.
    later

Dyonisos
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/10 22:09:52 (permalink)
    I've tried this and have had problems getting the start time of the resultant clips to be right on beat one (that is, the first note in the clip at the exact point where it was split). There is no "apply trimming" feature, as in Sonar. I figure there's probably a way to make this work, and I'm curious, too, to see what the solution is. I'm not sure if I saw the problem with both audio and midi clips, or one and not the other. I'll go check that out.

ORIGINAL: crabtwins

WZ,

Apparently I am a zero resplies kind of browser. I dont know how to do what your asking but it sounds like as long as v1 can split where you put the cursor, you could slowly do it, which is better than nothing. Maybe there is a faster way, dont know. Maybe someone will see this BUMP and answer.
    later

post edited by Dyonisos - 2005/06/10 22:13:15

www.reverbnation.com/dyonisos
    Dyonisos
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 01:43:39 (permalink)
    EDIT: more experimenting. Some of this is just taking the time to learn the program better. The best way to make splits of MIDI data intended for the matrix is to make the splits in the editor, not the arrange pane. In the editor, place a marker where you want your beginning split to take place. Move the cursor to the right of that marker, right click on the editor screen and choose "split from marker". Now place a marker where the right edge of your clip will be. Place the cursor to the left of that marker, right-click on the editor screen and choose "Split until marker". Works great, and now the thing to do is try it with audio.

Okay. Audio works just fine, too. In the case of audio, make the splits in the arrange pane, not the editor. After creating a clip (by splitting or slip editing an existing audio clip), right-click on it and choose groove-clip looping. Now you can drag that clip to the matrix and just that short clip will play, not the entire original audio clip.

post edited by Dyonisos - 2005/06/11 02:15:05

LabDog
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 913
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 02:11:44 (permalink)
    P5 II's Kung Fu Lighting method would be Ctrl+A (select all) and the 'S' key on your keyboard. Before you know it, your patterns will be sliced and diced.

Edit: It is, ofcourse, necessary to mouse click the place(s) you want split before hitting 'S'. You should also turn off Snap to Grid when doing this, to assure precise splits.

LabDog
    post edited by LabDog - 2005/06/11 02:21:39

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    Dyonisos
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 02:14:35 (permalink)
    Yea, that works great! I'll remember that one.

Dyonisos
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 02:29:05 (permalink)
    I noticed, though, that the MIDI clips still require the treatment I described--isolating the bars of a clip using markers, in the editor, then sending back to the arrange pane, or dragging up to the matrix.

ORIGINAL: LabDog

P5 II's Kung Fu Lighting method would be Ctrl+A (select all) and the 'S' key on your keyboard. Before you know it, your patterns will be sliced and diced.

Edit: It is, ofcourse, necessary to mouse click the place(s) you want split before hitting 'S'. You should also turn off Snap to Grid when doing this, to assure precise splits.

LabDog

LabDog
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 913
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 02:54:59 (permalink)
    That's very true, yet even so, I've found it quite helpful to have them split in the arrange pane, which better allows me to use the now time bar to show me where the starting marker should be moved before using 'Split from marker'.

I forgot to mention before, that it is also necessary to unlink the split pattern pieces you are going to be editing, so be certain not edit them before unlinking them. If you don't unlink them, you'll edit all the split parts simultaneously.

LabDog

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    wz061s
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 385
    RE: Splitting up clips for Matrix 2005/06/11 16:01:04 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am taking a day off from work next Monday to remix some tunes, etc. I appreciate the help.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1