Helpful ReplyStar Wars confusion...

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2014/09/01 09:56:52 (permalink)

Star Wars confusion...

I am thinking of getting some sort of Star Wars collection to watch with the grandkids. However, after browsing at Amazon (mostly) I am totally confused about what to buy. Apparently, episode 1 is not the original Star Wars, I'm not even sure what they call it or what collection has the original 1977 movie or if they have a new name for it or what.
I am not interested in watching in some new order, I'd rather watch in the order that they were released originally. I guess I can figure it out but as of now I just closed the browsers in confusion.
Are any of you Star Wars fans who can direct me to a collection that is in the order of release? I prefer DVD but Blu Ray would be OK. I'm not really interested on remakes or editions that "fix things". I guess I would rather watch in the order that came out so I wont go from better special effects to worse. The movies made sense when they came out, even though some were stories older than the first movie. I'm thinking that if it was understandable then, it will still be and I don't have to watch them in some new kind of order. Mostly I want to be sure I get the original Star Wars and not some episode one that is not the original.

Thanks for any help!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Old55
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 10:06:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2014/09/01 12:35:30
I may not be the one to advise you on versions--I know there are several that fixed or didn't fix various effects.  I am aware of the order, though.  The original Star Wars is Episode 4.  Lately, I think they've been calling it "A New Hope".  

This might help:  

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 10:25:21 (permalink)
Ah... thanks. That helps. Yeah, I read about people not liking some of the "fixes". I'll shop accordingly, if I can.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 10:27:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2014/09/01 12:35:35
Watch the first 3 in order and forget the last 3.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 11:42:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2014/09/01 12:35:15
If you aren't enough of a die hard fan to know this stuff already, I think most of the "fixes" don't really matter too much. Lucas did unfortunately change some things as time went on, but he also cleaned some things up.

But it's Star Wars, not some sort of religious text. So the idea that whether Han shot first or not or Luke went "Ahhhhh" is of profound importance is kind of silly IMO. [ducks Jawa poo thrown by fanbois]

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 12:22:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2014/09/01 12:35:22

These are not the answers you are looking for.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 15:53:58 (permalink)
jbow
I am thinking of getting some sort of Star Wars collection to watch with the grandkids. However, after browsing at Amazon (mostly) I am totally confused about what to buy. Apparently, episode 1 is not the original Star Wars, I'm not even sure what they call it or what collection has the original 1977 movie or if they have a new name for it or what.
I am not interested in watching in some new order, I'd rather watch in the order that they were released originally. I guess I can figure it out but as of now I just closed the browsers in confusion.
Are any of you Star Wars fans who can direct me to a collection that is in the order of release? I prefer DVD but Blu Ray would be OK. I'm not really interested on remakes or editions that "fix things". I guess I would rather watch in the order that came out so I wont go from better special effects to worse. The movies made sense when they came out, even though some were stories older than the first movie. I'm thinking that if it was understandable then, it will still be and I don't have to watch them in some new kind of order. Mostly I want to be sure I get the original Star Wars and not some episode one that is not the original.

Thanks for any help!

Julien

Episode I, The Phantom Menace is the first chapter of the prequel trilogy, the history of how Anakin became Darth Vader.

Some people hate it. I personally enjoyed most of it, Anakin/Darth Vader being the reason why I dug Star Wars in the first place.

I think the biggest part of the negative comments towards Episodes I, II and III emanate from people who are so taken by the old Star Wars that they've forgotten how lame some of the acting, dialogues and characters were back then too. 

As for the old trilogy, starting w/ Episode IV, A New Hope... Unfortunately, the unaltered versions are nearly impossible to find. Lucas had them pulled off the market and claimed that the originals were permanently altered , though I think that one of the Blue-Ray box set does include the original theatrical release. Costs a pretty penny, though.

There are many kinds of changes.

Minor cosmetic fixes, like the blur between the ground and Luke's floating Landspeeder. It now looks clean.

There are some characters digitally added to existing scenes. For exemple when Luke and Obi Wan arrive to Mos Eisley. The streets are a lot busier than in the original version because Lucas had a bunch of creatures digitally added. In some cases it works, in other cases, they went a little nuts with it and it's actually distracting.

Some special effects (such as explosions) were replaced by digital effects - which is a slap in the face to the people who worked so hard on creating the award winning effects in the original, but which shouldn't bother the casual spectator.

Some scenes were added - the whole dialogue between Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt before the departure from Mos Eisley. The scene had been shot with a stand in for Jabba but would have been too costly to complete back in the days. Now it's re-integrated with a CGI Jabba. It doesn't look good and, furthermore, it brings nothing to the table because when they cut that scene, the integrated the useful bits of info into other scenes of the movie.

A relatively minor offense for the newcomer, I guess. But it irks the fans.

There's also the "Who shot first" debate which reels up the fans. In the original, Han shot Greedo to get out of a tight spot. In the revised version, Lucas made it so that Han only shot after Greedo shot at him (and missed at point blank).  That's a change that modifies what kind of character Solo really is, his morality.

And there are scene which are completely different or newly created. The silly CGI canteen band scene which goes on forever and the whole Return of the Jedi finale which has been butchered to include celebrations scenes from all across the galaxy with an entirely new score featuring IIRC some gosh darn peruvian flute.

And they also replaced the original Anakin as he used to appear so that he looks like Anakin in the prequel...

Personally, I dig some of the changes but can't stand some of the others. I'd like to make my own cut.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 16:15:27 (permalink)
I never really liked the original 3 movies, I love good sci-fi but just didn't find the story or the characters appealing. 'Alien' wiped the slate clean for me, I couldn't go back to swooshing light sabres and comedy aliens after that. My wife was a big fan so we saw the 2nd trilogy at the cinema. I fell asleep during all of them.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 16:21:11 (permalink)
I think of them as Fantasy more than Sci-Fi. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/01 16:29:02 (permalink)
s raw rats

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/04 09:40:58 (permalink)
Never mind the movies...

I want a copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Holiday_Special)
I know that George tried to hurl all copies of this monstrosity into the depths of a Sarlacc pit, but I would like to think that a few copies survived. I'm pretty sure that I went into shock after seeing it in '78, so I'd like to see it again.

I could use a vacation.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/04 11:16:38 (permalink)
In unrelated news: Mexican Star Trek-Themed Wedding "Best Ever"!!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Mexican-Star-Trek-themed-wedding-deemed-best-5728692.php

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/04 11:32:44 (permalink)
Only some of us know the truth

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Star Wars confusion... 2014/09/04 13:58:21 (permalink)
For those interested in seeing how bad it is.....

http://www.dailymotion.co...day-special_shortfilms

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1