Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love

Author
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
2011/07/15 03:44:39 (permalink)

Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love

I probably deserve to be crucified for asking this but how does one get that synth/guitar/formant filter cool sound in the second half of the clip. I'm addicted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjli3hj0ZkM&feature=related

8 Replies Related Threads

n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/15 04:47:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like a "Vocoder", or a "Talk Box". (Guitar talk box example: listen).

I only answered because Daft Punk's score of Tron - Legacy was surprisingly good IMO.
    He should make more scores like that and not more commercial &^%#.

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/15 08:00:05 (permalink)
    The first thing I'd try backwoods, is the Antares Filter plug. It's been my go to plug for all that trippy, phasey stuff for keys and guitar. It's even cool on vocals. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/15 16:28:57 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the help guys. 

BTW Danny, I'm LOVING "Happy to be Alive". Going too have to try and learn that one myself. May take me a few years...

Danny Danzi
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/16 09:52:36 (permalink)
    LOL backwoods, you rule...thanks! There's an ugly Youtube video fo me playing that live if you feel like laughing at me. LOL! I have this little room in my house where I have my fun when I'm home. I mostly do audio and video editing out of it now...but it's where I hang out when I'm not in my studio. Check it out if you get a minute...it's pretty funny...lil white socks and all. LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLCq2phm_k

One other thing of note...the lead guitar is of course all done in real time...but Sonar is also changing my effects to my pre-amp in real time as the song plays via midi. I did a video that I posted up here a while ago for Marcos I believe, but I don't know if anyone saw it or was interested in it. If you're ever interested in stuff like that, let me know and I'll post up the video. Thanks again. :)

My Site
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/16 10:15:24 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

LOL backwoods, you rule...thanks! There's an ugly Youtube video fo me playing that live if you feel like laughing at me. LOL! I have this little room in my house where I have my fun when I'm home. I mostly do audio and video editing out of it now...but it's where I hang out when I'm not in my studio. Check it out if you get a minute...it's pretty funny...lil white socks and all. LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLCq2phm_k

One other thing of note...the lead guitar is of course all done in real time...but Sonar is also changing my effects to my pre-amp in real time as the song plays via midi. I did a video that I posted up here a while ago for Marcos I believe, but I don't know if anyone saw it or was interested in it. If you're ever interested in stuff like that, let me know and I'll post up the video. Thanks again. :)
    Pretty cool video and some great playing. Reminded me a bit of some of the stuff I've heard Greg Howe play.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/16 10:54:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Chappel, much appreciated. Funny you mention Greg...I'm working on a project for him that he's producing. One of his students is a killer fusion guitarist named Rick Lewis. He plays in Cali once in a while at that Baked Potato place I believe. But Greg produced this dude from the ground up and I have talked to Greg a few times during the course of the project as I was hired as the mix engineer for it. I just had to step out of professional mode and say "Greg, sorry to be a fan boy, but I love you mayan in a non-gay way!!! Been listening to your stuff since the Varney days" etc. He started laughing. Super cool guy. No rock star tude, and he actually allowed me to mix the album with full control. It's being mastered somewhere right now actually, so if you dig that sort of stuff (Greg plays on it too in a few spots) it will be worth checking out. Rick has a Twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/stratakat

He can also be found on www.TheStage.TV playing quite a few tunes....really cool place if you're into that type of stuff. He usually goes by stratakat for all his screen names. Really good guy, killer player. You know how some of those fusion guys go way out of the box at times for the sake of doing it? He doesn't do that often and always keeps a constant hook going on. Really melodic. Anyway, thanks again. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/07/16 10:57:23

My Site
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/26 01:05:21 (permalink)
    okay Danny,
    I watched that video and NOW I'm a true fanboy of yours!
    I was straight diggin your guitar pickin (fingers flying and all that!).
    I haven't been able to get on the forum (except at work where I'm a guest and can't log in - go figure).

I know I'm hijackin the OPs post (sorry), but just wanted to drop in and let you know the vid rocks!!!

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Steal that Sound: Daft Punk Digital Love 2011/07/26 05:42:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Arlen, you're too kind! I'm sorry I kinda hijacked it too...but I figured when he mentioned the name of that song, he might like to see the lil video I made for it. :) Much appreciated...thanks again. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1