Step Sequencer not working correctly?

Author
CooperDoo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/06/23 06:13:35 (permalink)

Step Sequencer not working correctly?

Hi Cakewalk Forums,

I'm trying to work with the step sequencer in Session Drummer 3 and SI-Bass Guitar.

I can do the following:

- Click on the various instrument components/strings and get the respective sounds.
- Can enter a pattern in Step Sequencer (sound is heard when entering each step).

Unable to playback sequence succesfully.  Only the first beat/note is heard.  After that, the level meter shows each sequence is playing, but no sound for the remaining beats/notes is heard?  I've tried numerous device settings in preferences, but cannot get it to play a full sequence.

Any help/thoughts/comments in resolving this is greatly appreciated.  I run video and audio applications on this pc with no issues other than this step sequencer, so doubt my hardware is the issue.

System:
Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)
Intel Core Quad CPU, 2.66GHz
2.5GB RAM
Realtek High Definition Audio (Built into Motherboard).  Tried an external X-Fi sound card as well.  Latest drivers installed.

Sonar X1 Producer (X1b build 242)

3 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re:Step Sequencer not working correctly? 2012/06/23 07:16:42 (permalink)

hi CooperDoo,

Welcome to the forum.
    I suspect the problem lies in the Realtek sound.

Do you record onto the step sequencer while the playback is on ? (that play button on the step sequencer), or is it off ? 

If it's on while recording, perhaps it could be other issue as you will be hearing the sound as you build the clip.

But if it's off, it means the card can't handle signals other than simple hits.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    CooperDoo
    Re:Step Sequencer not working correctly? 2012/06/23 18:54:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply tomixornot.

I played around with the different record/play buttons and got closer to what was been sequenced, but not exact.  Kept missing beats here and there.  I tried an external X-Fi card I have nad gave the same results?  Weird that ir can handle everything X1 throws at it, but a simple sequencer has trouble?

I'm looking at a new sound card anyway.  Hopefully will fix the issue.  Any recommendations for a typical good sound card up to $500.

Thanks again for the response.

Regards,
    CooperDoo.
    CooperDoo
    Re:Step Sequencer not working correctly? 2012/06/23 19:13:47 (permalink)
    Playing around some more, looks like messing with the buffer size in preferences is helping.  Closer, but still out slightly.

Sorted.  Changing number of buffers in playback queue, setting the buffer size to fast, gave me 8.0msec/384 samples and an effective latency 48kHz/stereo to 88msec, has cured the issue.  I'm now able to create complex patterns with no issues.

Phew!

Time to be creative! 
    post edited by CooperDoo - 2012/06/23 19:20:36
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1