Step recording MIDI

Author
stm113cw
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 120
2018/11/12 15:39:11 (permalink)

Step recording MIDI

I don't know if this is the right way to ask this. Up to this point I have used the step sequencer to do my keys/pads as that is the way I have been comfortable. I finally got a Nektar Impact 49+ and am slowly and painfully learning how to lay down keys/pads. Is there a way to record multiple notes separately? What I mean is for example can I do my "right hand" parts in one pass and my "left hand" parts in another pass?

Is there a way to edit what I have recorded using the step sequencer function? I don't know if I can ever get proficient at piano roll. 

Thank you guys for your help!

7 Replies Related Threads

michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/12 18:07:11 (permalink)
    I use the Step Record some, but not the Sequencer, but what I would do is record one line, then the other right over it. Or, if you have two different tracks, one for each hand, you could do it that way. I don't know if you use staff view (notes) at all, but with two tracks you could have bass clef notes on one track (left hand) and treble clef notes on the other (right hand). Piano or keyboards are set up that way anyhow in notation. So if you show it to a keyboard player who reads music, it will make sense to them.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/13 11:08:27 (permalink)
    Not sure what you're asking because step sequencing is typically achieved by adding notes/note values one at a time across a grid. Typically set up as variants of 16 bar for 4/4 time signatures, 12 bar for 3/4 time sigs..

However using a Nector MIDI keyboard controller, typically used for recording MIDI "performance" sequencing using  12 note chromatic octave scales , it's not designed for step sequencing input.
      The simplest way I can think of to achieve right and left hand performances of the sequence one at a time is do the bass cleft on one MIDI track and treble cleft on another..

Hope this helps

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/13 18:45:04 (permalink)
    The traditional way to record one note at a time from a MIDI keyboard is to use the "Step Record" mode.

The step sequencer is better for banging in drum patterns with your mouse, or anything with strict rhythmic timing.

To step record to a MIDI track in Cakewalk, set the record button on the main transport to "Step" by clicking on the little black triangle on the lower right corner of the red record button.  You will see "Step Record" listed in the context menu.  This will enable a properties menu where you can select note duration, step size, etc.

When you arm your MIDI track and hit record, the MIDI track will record one event from your keyboard at a time and advance forward by one step each time a note is played.  It is possible to record an entire composition one note at a time in this manner.

Double clicking on your MIDI track will open it up in the Piano Roll View editor where you can make further adjustments.

Your choice of whether to use separate MIDI tracks for left/right hands.  Both ways are possible.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    abacab
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/13 18:51:47 (permalink)

michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/13 21:00:34 (permalink)
    I've found that to access Step Record, you need to do a hold-click on the record button, so the menu for the type of recording comes up. I have to do it every time. 

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

abacab
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/14 02:45:42 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    I've found that to access Step Record, you need to do a hold-click on the record button, so the menu for the type of recording comes up. I have to do it every time. 

That is correct, but I am not sure if "hold-click" is even a real thing!

The user manual describes it as "Click the Record button and keep the button pressed for a brief moment until the pop-up menu appears, then choose Step Record. The Record button changes to ".

Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Step recording MIDI 2018/11/14 15:35:22 (permalink)
    abacab
    The traditional way to record one note at a time from a MIDI keyboard is to use the "Step Record" mode.

The step sequencer is better for banging in drum patterns with your mouse, or anything with strict rhythmic timing.

To step record to a MIDI track in Cakewalk, set the record button on the main transport to "Step" by clicking on the little black triangle on the lower right corner of the red record button.  You will see "Step Record" listed in the context menu.  This will enable a properties menu where you can select note duration, step size, etc.

When you arm your MIDI track and hit record, the MIDI track will record one event from your keyboard at a time and advance forward by one step each time a note is played.  It is possible to record an entire composition one note at a time in this manner.

Double clicking on your MIDI track will open it up in the Piano Roll View editor where you can make further adjustments.

Your choice of whether to use separate MIDI tracks for left/right hands.  Both ways are possible.

Actually the only time I use step sequencing these days is for composing exacting and complicated drum and percussion parts beyond my ability to perform on a MIDI keyboard controller.
     And I agree 175% about piano roll editing, and 200% feel it's much better and easier way to go about step sequencing to begin with, though it does take some time getting used to working that way.

So my question is, while step sequencing using a MIDI keyboard, does add note value (1/4, 1/8, 1/16,) or do you still have to manually change value and velocity resolution?
     Does it step sequence chords like a human would play them?
     And if the answer is no to any of the above, than I would have to concur that using a MIDI keyboard controller for step writing is a waste of time, considering you will have to perform most of the step writing work with a mouse anyway...…….
     However, MIDI keyboard controller's are the cat's arse for "triggering" pre made rhythm sequences, especially if they have Trigger Pads!
     Yes, I LOVE my Novation Impulse 61, it has a great feel on the keys, it has trigger pads that feel right for banging out drums on Addictive Drums, or instantly switching to triggering audio loops, and MIDI sequence Groove Clips, just to name a few functions including triggering arpeggios and such, AND the pads even have colorful  LED lights that change to let me know where I am and what's up!
     I also use it's knobs buttons and faders to control audio plugins, leaving my Behringer X Touch to perform the work of a traditional automated mixing console and transport control.
     All great stuff there, but I'm thinking it would really suck at being used for a step sequencer. 

I first learned step sequencing the HARD WAY back in the 80's on Roland MC500 Micro Composer, that shipped with a owner's manual with an included a complete nuts to bolts course in understand everything about MIDI sequencing, composing, editing, Program PC, and Control CC changes, laws of Velocity = Slope + Bias, After touch, Bend, Modulation, and etc and so on, and how to efficiently program a 4 track sequencer to compose and play 32 MIDI tracks.
     By the end of the course completion I learned how to step write Beethoven's 5th symphony straight to from the traditional one note at a time step grid sequencing, and then step written Bach's "Little Fugue in Gm" from a traditional music notation score... Note by freak'in NOTE to play from a Casio CZ 1000!!
     Not that I could even play keyboards at the time, the CZ 1000 had mini keys way too small for by hands, so I couldn't play it even if I knew how, lol

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1