Stereo/Mono/Cloning?

Author
12foot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/06/13 15:25:33 (permalink)

Stereo/Mono/Cloning?

I've been recording in audio with my keyboard through the "line-in" on my sound card (this is all I'm capable of at this point).

I want stereo sound, but It only plays through the left speaker. If I add the chorus effect, it kinda plays back in stereo. Is there a way to clone a track to have it play in the left and right speaker?

12foot

6 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/13 18:34:16 (permalink)
    GO to the input on the audio track and select stereo input, if that does not work then on the top of the track where it says audio, right click and chose clone track, then pan one left and the other right
    12foot
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/15 08:57:36 (permalink)
    I tried using the "clone" action, but nothing seemed to change other than the track moving to another location. Not sure what is supposed to happen, but I expected one track to become two.

In each track there are three lines. I assume the top one is left speaker and bottom one is the right. Is this true? I only get a wave on the top one. How will cloning give me stereo sound? Mono gets me both speakers, but sounds like crap. Stereo only gets me the left speaker.
    I made sure I chose stereo when recording, and when playing back.

My computer is garbage by the way, likes to crash very frequently. This takes the fun out of trial and error when tring to solve a problem.

Hope somone can help me.

12foot
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/15 11:46:42 (permalink)
    Clone itself won't help. You need to rerecord the track as a mono track. Go to the audio track and select "Left Input" from the recording selection box. Then, record your track - it'll be in mono.

Next, clone the track to another audio track. Pan the original track to one side and the cloned track to the other.

Now, play the song back - it should be in stereo.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/06/15 11:49:25

Jeff
    12foot
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/15 14:17:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, that makes sense. Haven't been home to try it yet.

I still have to make the track clone itself, which seemed straight forward, but I couldn't make it work. It just kept moving from one spot to the other.

12foot
    12foot
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/16 08:01:49 (permalink)
    So I copied a track in audio after recording in mono, panned one left & one right and played it back in stereo. The quality wasn't any better, just louder. Seemed like I just re-created a mono track.

Again when I add the "chorus" effect and playback in stereo, the sound is almost professional in my headphones. It has that big, deep sound in both speakers. Do you know what I mean? What is the effect doing to the track to create stereo?

12foot
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Stereo/Mono/Cloning? 2005/06/16 10:03:56 (permalink)
    In essence, you did just make a copy of a mono track, but you sent one track to the left speaker and one to the right - giving you one big mono track. To get a real stereo effect, you need to record each instrument seperately. Then learn how to EQ and mix. Send some instruments off to the right, some to the left, leave the main instrument/vocal in the middle. Add different reverbs to give varying depths. Then take a listen - you will get a better stereo sound.

The chorus isn't doing anything to the track to make it sound stereo. Chorus is essentially a real small delay combined with an oscillater that varies the original signal slightly sharp to slightly flat. Then the sharp/flat signal is added to the original sound making it sound big and fat.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1