Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
2011/03/02 23:53:20 (permalink)

"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental

Hi All

Back when I posted the original "Still In Love", it was not a 100% mine because the backing track was from the Guitar Center's "King of Blues" contest.  The solo was all mine, but I had this nagging feeling about getting sued and copyright litigations.  So I reworked the track, starting with changing the chord progression.  Then I changed the tempo and so it needed a new bass line.  Now I think this track has a totally different feeling.  So here it is, please let me know what you think.

New Track
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10344621&q=hi&newref=1

Original track
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9897414&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7

34 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/02 23:58:10 (permalink)
    Hey Vicente, I was getting some distortion/buzzing/static on that original track? I don't hear it on the new track :-)

I'm listening, it's more ah-tempo obviously. Sounds like you were having fun with the lead there sir :-) In places you really go going! I can play lead, but I'm more of a hummer and a strummer ;-) Good job here.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/03 08:01:46 (permalink)
    The guitar work is fantastic.  I'm not in love with the drums but they're OK.  You can sure play...

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/03 11:58:26 (permalink)
    Hi Vicente, this piece has a nice latin vibe to it in the guitar part, would personally like to hear that in the drum part also. Like the guitar tone. What guitar did you use?

Greetings, Rik
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/03 22:37:15 (permalink)
    I liked the guitar, not as wild about the drum track, of course I'm a drum moron so that that with a grain of salt.

Some real nice chops there, I like the guitar tone.  I would have like to have hear a bridge somewhere in the middel to break up the song and the ending really didn't do the rest of the song justice.

But you've got some really good chops going and you're really showing some variety and some real potential in your work lately.  I always enjoy what your working on.  Keep it up!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/03 22:43:17 (permalink)
    Amazing guitar playing!  :)  I thought I heard some timing issues in the first minute, but it sorta got sorted out after that. 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/03 23:09:13 (permalink)
    This feels like a 'jazz study', most excellent.  While this is perfect as is for certain target audiences and environments ...

The following thoughts are iffy:

There is that synthy feeling to this (again, like the piece I heard before the last explosive piece) ... which is ironic, because I suspect that guitar performance(s) are live ... by you. 

But this guitar is so lush that it feels like a pro-virtuoso that 'perfectly' melts into the mix.  It lacks emotive imperfections (to my ears).

While the guitar dominates, I feel it could dominate a heck of a lot more, with varying dynamics, more lead counters, sweet distortion searings, verbs, and/or pan-thickenings, etc. ... exploiting your excellent guitar work.

But if this is 'just a particular *jazz study* (like my last *country study*) for wide age targets, without being offensive, this is sweet and excellent.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    vechung
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/04 07:59:02 (permalink)
    Hi All

Thanks for listening and your comments.  Daryl I was thinking about a bridge but then renaged.  That may come back.  The piece is kind of short anyways.  Philip It is not live but close and recorded in three takes.  I guess your "jazz study" comments goes with what Daryl said.  Let me work on the "emotive" expressions.
    Janet This is a 6/4 piece.  It was kind of tricky to play when I started. I am so used to a 4/4 timing.
    Rik The guitar is an Heritage H-575.  There used to be an old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo (sic) Michigan which they closed down.  The employees did not want to move so they took over the factory and started making guitars the old fashion way.  They are not that well known, but their guitars are fantastic and much reasonably priced compared with Gibson's.
    Ian and RockinRobby Thanks for listening!

Vicente 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/04 08:13:31 (permalink)
    Cool.... the neat thing is.... you can copy a groove or a chord progression without fear of copy right issues popping up.

The old 1-4-5 blues/rock progression is a good example.

The drums were a bit monotonous but, that can be fixed with a bit of editing and dragging in some loops and such....

Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/03/05 11:17:32 (permalink)
    Overall great playing and tone.

Agree with the other comments about timing, drums and bridge.

There sounded like a few dead notes in the beginning, like it was a bit forced to keep the time. 

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    solidterry
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/27 20:16:53 (permalink)
    Hey Vicente,

I just listened to this song a few times and really, really love it.  The chord progression is so cool, and the 6/4 time signature really works well with this progression.  After listening to it the first time and being very impressed, I read the comments in this thread and decided to listen to it again.  I ended up listening to it around five times. 

I agree with some of the comments about the drums -- what I didn't like there was the over-abundance of cymbal crashes and the sense that the drums were recorded before everything else just as a sort platform to layer the other instruments on top of (kind of like a scratch drum track), and thus the drums didn't seem to be interacting with the other instruments a lot.  This is a minor quibble though.  Like another poster said, I too am a drum freak.  I get the feeling that you presented this song for feedback on the song itself rather than the performance and recording, but I could be wrong. 

I really love how you found so many "pretty notes" to play against those chords, especially when the chords were changing.  Sounds very nice and flowing harmonically, like you were born to play those changes.

This song sounds like it would really sound even better with the right lyrics.  You should consider co-writing with a lyricist.  I felt the same way about another tune of yours that I listened to and also liked called "My Hope Rests with Thee" which I will comment on in that thread later if I can find it.

Tempo wise, if I was going to change anything I'd slow it down just a hair but that, like everything else, is just a subjective opinion.  It definitely works quite well right where it is.

Lastly, the beginning seemed flawed in the sense that the second bass note at the beginning is rushed, making a bad first impression.  And as another poster commented, the ending really doesn't do justice to this great tune, making for an anti-climax.  I would consider having the drums end on the same note as the bass instead of an eighth note later [edit:  if you're going to use that same ending].

All of these suggestions might lead you to believe that I didn't like the song ... lol, but I absolutely loved it. 

Great tune, bro!  Keep up the good work!  Cheers!

Terry
    post edited by solidterry - 2011/05/27 21:23:33

SONAR X1 Producer Expanded; Windows XP Professional 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core2; 4GB DDR-2-800 (4X1GB); Cakewalk UA-101 24-bit sound card; M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller.  Hear my musings at www.tributerry.com
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/27 20:27:08 (permalink)
    I didn't listen to the original but I felt this was all I needed to hear.  You really can pick.  Nice job, buddy!  Hey are you using something on that guitar like the 900 BPM drum rolls on those plug ins?  LOL  reall sounds good.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 06:32:41 (permalink)
    I'm feeling ya, brother! I also agree on the drum comments, but nice playing!

String Jammer
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 10:28:38 (permalink)
    vechung

Hi All

Thanks for listening and your comments.  Daryl I was thinking about a bridge but then renaged.  That may come back.  The piece is kind of short anyways.  Philip It is not live but close and recorded in three takes.  I guess your "jazz study" comments goes with what Daryl said.  Let me work on the "emotive" expressions.
    Janet This is a 6/4 piece.  It was kind of tricky to play when I started. I am so used to a 4/4 timing.
    Rik The guitar is an Heritage H-575.  There used to be an old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo (sic) Michigan which they closed down.  The employees did not want to move so they took over the factory and started making guitars the old fashion way.  They are not that well known, but their guitars are fantastic and much reasonably priced compared with Gibson's.
    Ian and RockinRobby Thanks for listening!

Well that is some fine playing there, Vicente.  I'm inclined to agree with some of the other comments re- the drums, and room for the playing style to be more emotive, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the tune or how impressed I was with your skill on the neck.

Funny, but Rik already posed my question as to the guitar used.  Listening to it I was thinking- 'That's a vintage ES335.'  Now I get the connection.

Nice work!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 10:33:01 (permalink)
    Sweet playing Vicente!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 12:26:10 (permalink)
    Strong and powerful.  Awesome production to my ears!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 13:44:34 (permalink)

Cool sound but I agree the drums need to be out there in this type of music .
    Your cooking on the guitar , get those drums up and this one will really cook in the cooker !

Nice one vechung , I like it !
    Radio

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 14:07:42 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 14:32:03 (permalink)
    Excellent piece and stunning guitar playing. I hear lots of influences here - Montgomery, Reinhardt, Benson to name but a few. I am sure they would all love this piece.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 14:47:24 (permalink)
     Real nice playing and great tone.

Me

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/28 22:18:56 (permalink)
    I like the feeling of the new version better.  Nice work my friend.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    vechung
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/29 23:02:50 (permalink)
    Hi All

I would like to thank SolidTerry for reviving this thread and for spending all the time listening to the song.  Really appreciate it!  I put this project as something to get back latter since I am busy with church duties for the next four weeks (I am teaching a Sunday School on Money Management, ha!).  I need to put an interlude and trying to get some ideas.  Now the drums seems kind of bit in disarray, but I was experimenting with fill-in at odd places.  Not all experiments work out well, but at least playing to find something new. 

Warren I am not using any plug in on the guitar.  I am recording it after my GT10.

Thanks Scottytunes, Philz, jamesg1213, Philip, Radio, Wookiee, Malcolm, ohgrant and Marcos for listening. 

Vicente 

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/30 09:03:45 (permalink)
    Wow this is nice!! Great playing and tones. I think the mix is good. Listening on headphones, I'm hearing some sort of distortion/clipping on the left side in places - that's my only nit-pik. Really good job!!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/31 11:36:58 (permalink)
    superb playing Vicente. drums are a little busy, but that keeps things moving!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/31 19:41:53 (permalink)
    Three takes????  Would have taken me at least twice that many   Excellent phrasing and tone.   The drums are a little distracting to me, I agree that a more latin feel would really take it over the top.   Song is really cool, like the progression...

Regards
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/05/31 19:45:07 (permalink)
    very cool, Vincent!  this is the first I've heard this!  love that odd time sig!  really great guitar playing and tone!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/06/02 02:40:21 (permalink)
    Hi, Vicente,

This is really an excellent song!  Fantastic guitar playing, beautiful, clean tone and a great sounding, clear, uncluttered mix.

The fluidity of your nice solo guitar work keeps the interest level high throughout the entire piece and it floats along perfectly on the peppy up-tempo rhythm.

Very nice work!
    Bob
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/06/02 19:22:43 (permalink)
    Not crazy about the drum part.  Here are two different 135 bpm 6/4 loops for you to try: http://tinyurl.com/42mye3w  Just
     "Control-L" these clips once they're imported.

Peace,
    J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/06/02 19:33:55 (permalink)
    Nice picking Vicente!  Your guitar tone is very nice and expressive and your chops are excellent.  Keep up the good work!
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"Still In Love - Remix" Jazz Guitar Instrumental 2011/06/02 21:33:17 (permalink)
    Nice Vicente - I really like this - good playing.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1