Strange Dream

Author
Song Writer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/07/19 01:09:08 (permalink)

Strange Dream

Strange Dream

Over compressed? Under eq'd? Over eq'd? Too much volume? Not sure.

6 Replies Related Threads

Song Writer
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/19 16:54:21 (permalink)
    I tried given the time and situation. I guess it was not worth listening to. That is ok I guess, at least I tried.
    Song Writer
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/19 17:02:34 (permalink)
    Sorry to bother you all with wanting to be reviewed.

Jackel
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/19 17:20:06 (permalink)
    I like it.  Clearly you can play.  Not in the studio now but the mix sounds fine from here.  Things I'd work on

1) Play less.  This is a 3:40 jam that doesn't have enough variety to adequetly distinguish between sections.  Find the hook for each section and give the listener a chance to absorbe it before you embelish it
    2) Dynamics - Lay back ever so often in a song.  Change sounds, change instruments, pull something out so you can build and maintain interest.

Just some thoughts.  You got chops though.

Jeff 
    i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

Sonar X3d - Ableton Live 8 - Komplete 9 - Ivory 2 - Spectrasonics - Plus...
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/19 17:26:10 (permalink)
    IMO it sounds over processed. You have a distorted sound to the mix.
    Be patient and others will review your offerings. Do not try to force it to happen.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    Song Writer
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/20 19:58:43 (permalink)
    Jackel

I like it.  Clearly you can play.  Not in the studio now but the mix sounds fine from here.  Things I'd work on

1) Play less.  This is a 3:40 jam that doesn't have enough variety to adequetly distinguish between sections.  Find the hook for each section and give the listener a chance to absorbe it before you embelish it
    2) Dynamics - Lay back ever so often in a song.  Change sounds, change instruments, pull something out so you can build and maintain interest.

Just some thoughts.  You got chops though.

Thank you for taking the time. And I understand what you are saying about the guitar solo.

This song will have vocals added to it soon, and a rework of the mix and lead guitar.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and reply!

Song Writer
    Re:Strange Dream 2010/07/20 20:07:02 (permalink)
    Thatsastrat

IMO it sounds over processed. You have a distorted sound to the mix.
    Be patient and others will review your offerings. Do not try to force it to happen.

I felt the same way. And your reply answers my question to some degree. Where you say you have a distorted sound that you are trying to mix makes sense to me.

Was my mistake on having compression added more than once?

I mean, compression with the guitar, and then the track and then the overall mix?

What I am trying to ask is, should there only be one instance of compression for an instrument in a song, is that what causes that bouncy fizzy sound effect?

I've upload a new song, and I have taken a different approach.

I was wondering if you have the time to listen, if this different approach cures that over processed problem with the sound?

I know you are right on that, I thought that when I posted the first song. This one is new and I thought it best that I posted something new instead of correcting the previous song because I want to take the right approach when re-recording these songs. I'm looking for a good start and approach, not an overall end result response based on what I am doing now is what I am trying to say.

That is very important to me because until I know for sure I will not know which direction to go in while recording.

I am going to start a new thread for this song, the reason why is it is a new song I am asking you to listen to.

I apologize if this is considered rude.

Here is the link to that new song - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9424320

Please reply at this thread :  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2058197

Thank you.

post edited by Song Writer - 2010/07/20 20:19:59

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1