Strange encounters with famous people...

Author
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
2009/02/18 16:45:19 (permalink)

Strange encounters with famous people...

This is an offshoot of the "The most famous person you've met?" thread... please, anyone with strange personal stories about famous or well-known people, feel free to add them here... (and please also feel free to disguise names, as you see fit)...

To be honest, my stories happened to people that are close to me, not me directly -- so those count too!

Here are a few to get things rolling:

• I grew up in southern Vermont, and when I was a kid my dad frequented a local bar/restaurant to talk hunting, fishing, and other "Vermont stuff" with friends and acquaintances. This is like early 80's... One day he's there and who's sitting a table behind him but Christopher Reeves and his significant other and baby in tow... you know, Superman himself stopping in for a burger on his way to Williamstown Theatre Festival. So they do they their thing and as they're leaving he's trying to get the kid's stroller through the doorway to go outside, and he was having a hell of a time getting the stroller through the doors. Right? Superman... can't get the baby stroller out of the restaurant... I mean, we've all been there, but this is Super-freaking-man! Well, I always thought it was kinda funny, in a not-really-funny-but-kinda-ironic sorta way...

• My wife was at a club years ago on Long Island, and Geraldo Rivera tried to pick her up... not really a strange encounter, but she said the whole thing was kinda creepy because everybody knew who he was and he was like trying to pick up every girl in the joint...

• My late grandfather picked up a 16 year old Michael Bolton by the belt and literally threw him through a screen door... from the kitchen onto the back steps...

24 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/18 19:19:50 (permalink)
    My father says he met Howard Highes in like 1959 or so in bar down in Venice, CA (about 18 miles or so away from Hughes Tool Company in Culver City). He says he met him there at about 1:00 AM.
    bapu
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/18 19:20:50 (permalink)
    My late grandfather picked up a 16 year old Michael Bolton by the belt and literally threw him through a screen door

Obviously not hard enuf or with enuf damage, eh?

Too bad.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/18 21:44:36 (permalink)
    I ran into Dudley Moore drunk in first class from NYC to LA. He was obnoxious. Never saw another movie of his after I tried to talk to him.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/18 21:54:00 (permalink)
    Dudley Moore...wasn't he drunk and obnoxious IN his movies...?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    marsal
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 07:32:51 (permalink)

I've got one for you . About 18 or so years ago I moved into a flat in Manchester ,the previous occupant of which was in fact one of the queen's doctors, and his wife [it was his wife who showed me round the flat when I saw it prior to buying-didn't see him] I had been there a few months when I got a phone call in the evening,which went along the lines of:
    "Hello, can I speak to Dr.xxxxxx, please?"
    me: "erm, no, I'm afraid he's moved--you're better off contacting where he used to be based as a consultant,that's your best bet"
    caller:"yes,yes, thankyou very much, goodbye"
    click.

I put the phone down.the [female] voice sounded very familiar, cut glass pronunciation.............surely not .......could it?......COULD it?????????? nooooooooo.....surely not ......well---guess I'LL never know whether or not I had a phone call from the queen-its not something you ask anyone really, is it ?"pardon me for asking ,but are you...........?"

cheers, MARSAL.
    blinduncledallas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 09:12:39 (permalink)
    I worked as a tech for a band at a festival in the UK called The 'Phoenix Festival' which is now defunct. I think it was 1996.

I was sat backstage having a break with a friend in one of those huge white army type tents. It was the catering tent for the festival workers. Just sat at plastic patio tables drinking cups of tea and chatting. There were hardly any other people in there at the time.

Anyway, me and Bob were just chatting away and I was facing the door/flap to this tent. In walks DAVID BOWIE with his wife Iman in tow (he was headlining the festival). It was the most surreal thing I have ever witnessed. Bob was still talking but instantly noticed my face drop and turned around. We both tried to act cool and collected and carried on chatting. Mr Bowie and wife got a coffee and ambled over to the table next to us and sat down. We carried on this inane, nothing conversation because we were both totally star struck but tried to be as normal as possible.
    He was there for a good ten minutes. One of the biggest rock stars in the world sat in a scruffy tent which wouldn't look out of place in a war movie drinking coffee from a styrofoam cup. Hardly glamorous. But his wife was. My god, what a beautiful woman!

At one point he turned around asked us both if any of us had a light. I was the only one of us who smoked and I can tell you my hand was in my pocket and the lighter was lit under Mr Bowie's cigarette in approximately 256ms. The thing I will always remember is his different coloured eyes. We then got chatting about bands that were on that day and who he should catch. At one point I asked him why he was in the workers tent and not in his plush dressing room or production area bar and he just said 'I do normal things you know? I'm not bloody Michael Jackson. It keeps me grounded'.

After they had finished up he asked us both our names and thanked us for the advice on the bands and said to catch him later when he was on stage. We both watched the whole concert from the side of the stage that night. It was a great gig.

bapu
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 12:30:35 (permalink)
    My girlfriend's son worked at an airport in Monterey, CA.
    One day George Harrison flies in on a private plane.
    Her son says "My mom is big fan of yours, can I get your autograph?". George is her favorite Beatle.
    George gives him one "To <xxx>, Best Wishes George Harrison".

It was in pencil on a very flimsy piece of paper. She still has it but it is faded.
    I scanned it and increased the contrast.
    The scanned image is in a frame (with the original tucked behind to inhibit further fading).
    She let's me keep it in my (dark) studio.
    She's a keeper, allright.
    post edited by bapu - 2009/02/19 12:36:41
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 17:33:45 (permalink)
    Closest I ever came to the rich & famous...My high school band teacher got stuck on a malfunctioning elevator (lift for you British) with none other than Eleanor Roosevelt. I don't know many details other than they were in there quite a while, and he says she was a very wonderful, genuine person - a pleasure to meet and talk to.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    keith
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 22:28:21 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's kinda wierd... getting stuck in an elevator with Eleanor Roosevelt... sounds like the plot of a short story you might read in the New Yorker magazine...
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/19 23:56:10 (permalink)
    In the summer of 1970 I actually came face-to-face with none other than God Himself. And wouldn't you know it, He was on acid, too!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 02:08:58 (permalink)
    I once met Dave Mustaine when he he was so ****ed up that he was doing a brilliant job to sign his name but couldn't say **** all else! I only knew how ****ed up he was from post historiac evaluation. The truth is they played an incredible show in Auckland, NZ and I had no idea of the problems they were carrying.

Still raining...still dreaming!
    blinduncledallas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 02:14:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: i8ipop

I once met Dave Mustaine when he he was so ****ed up that he was doing a brilliant job to sign his name but couldn't say **** all else! I only knew how ****ed up he was from post historiac evaluation. The truth is they played an incredible show in Auckland, NZ and I had no idea of the problems they were carrying.

When was this? Just curious as he's now found god e.t.c.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 10:36:26 (permalink)
    Late one night I was driving to my GF's place in NYC. I stopped at a light on 14th street and it was desterted until another guy pulls up next to me. I look over, of course, and it is Woody Alllen, who gives me one of those patented "Yes I am who you think I am, please don't make a fuss" looks that the famous must go to a finishing school for. Nothing strange about it unless you remember "Annie Hall" and his character's attempt at driving. I never imagined the real Woody Allen could drive.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 10:49:49 (permalink)
    A few years ago I was in NYC for business and my co-worker and I went to Tavern on the Green (famous restaurant) for an early dinner. There was a big white tent up front and we assumed there was going to be a wedding reception or something. Anyway, we sat out back in a patio area, ate a nice dinner, had a few drinks. Then when we went to leave, there was a whole line of paperazzi (sp?) and a baracade with tons of people on the other side of the street. We decided we would just hang for a minute and see what was going on,since we were on the other side of security they didn't bother us. The next limo that pulls up, Mariah Carey gets out. We're just standing there while she's posing for photos - probably 10 feet away. Next limo is Randy Jackson from American Idol, then the next one is Kristin Davis from Sex in the City, then some basketball player. It was wild because it was so unexpected. Didn't meet any of them, just saw them up close and got some good pictures. Apprarently it was some charity fundraiser going on.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 12:19:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Dudley Moore...wasn't he drunk and obnoxious IN his movies...?

Yep
    So he wasn't really acting.

Looking back on it, the only movie I really like him in is that one with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn - Foul Play

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    keith
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 12:28:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT
    Late one night I was driving to my GF's place in NYC. I stopped at a light on 14th street and it was desterted until another guy pulls up next to me. I look over, of course, and it is Woody Alllen, who gives me one of those patented "Yes I am who you think I am, please don't make a fuss" looks that the famous must go to a finishing school for. Nothing strange about it unless you remember "Annie Hall" and his character's attempt at driving. I never imagined the real Woody Allen could drive.

Or better... do you remember what kind of car it was?

My parents went to a George Carlin show maybe 7-8 years ago, and as they were leaving the show in their car they spotted GC also leaving in his own car, at a stop light or something... it was a little compact car, like a small honda or a VW golf or something.

Which also reminds me of the time Peter Gabriel was in the Boston area on tour, around '94, and came to my place of work at the time. One of the owners had worked with him previously. He shows up with his two teenage kids in this tiny little Hyundai compact or something like that... He mentioned "not attracting attention" or some such, which I guess makes sense. Just feels odd seeing somebody like that in that context, which of course is totally normal for any other human being, and which in turn shows how odd and distorted our concept of "fame" is... Similar to the David Bowie story, I guess.
    Mixotonic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 14:16:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

In the summer of 1970 I actually came face-to-face with none other than God Himself. And wouldn't you know it, He was on acid, too!

You did acid with Eric Clapton!?

Mixotonic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 14:32:56 (permalink)
    When I was a kid working the Green Markets in Manhattan I sold Wendy O Williams strawberries many many times. Who would have thought she lived a vegetarian healthy lifestyle. I learned to never judge a book by it's cover or tattoo's.
    post edited by Mixotonic - 2009/02/20 14:40:14
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 20:10:58 (permalink)
    I was flipped-off by Flip Wilson in about 1970. I guess being flipped-off by a guy named Flip seems appropriate.

I was making a turn into Malibu Canyon in Southern California when Mr. Wilson, in his Rolls Royce with the license plate "KILLER", cut me off and nearly ran into me. As he passed by my car he looked at me with a big smile, then gave me the finger.

What an arrogant jerk. But he was riding some serious fame at that time and apparently was well acquainted with a certain white powdery substance associated with Peru and Columbia. I guess both the fame and the drugs must have warped his mind into the "I'm a BIG star" syndrome. I never watched another of his shows. And, of course, it wasn't long after that time when he disappeared into the abyss of Hollywood has-been's.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 20:14:54 (permalink)
    I once saw Liberace in a hardware store. I beleive he was painting.

Craig DuBuc
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/20 22:46:58 (permalink)
    Bill,

see, Flip knew what he was doing. He's dead but your still talking about him.

;-)

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/21 19:49:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

Bill,

see, Flip knew what he was doing. He's dead but your still talking about him.

;-)

@

Hi, AT,

LOL. You know what's funny? I thought of that as I wrote about the incident. It's weird how something like that sticks in one's memory forever.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Lord Tim
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 837
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/21 22:20:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: blinduncledallas

ORIGINAL: i8ipop

When was this? Just curious as he's now found god e.t.c.

This must have been a while ago because he was dead straight for all the time we were on the road with them in 2005, in fact we were warned that if we were to get drunk or stoned or anything around the band, we would be off the tour immediately, so that says a lot. Dave was a really down-to-earth, friendly articulate guy - totally different to what people assume that he's like.

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
    Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Strange encounters with famous people... 2009/02/21 22:58:25 (permalink)
    I once ran into George Michael in a rest stop men's room...very strange encounter...

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1