Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help!

Author
xtralounge
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2008/07/14 09:00:22 (permalink)

Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help!

Hi there,
I’m having a very strange problem with Sonar 7 and was wondering if anyone around here could help me. I’ll try to explain it as clearly as I can, so here it goes step by step:

1) First things first - my setup is a Core2Quad PC with 4GB RAM and Windows XP Pro SP 2.
2) Bought Sonar 7 Studio Edition recently; arrived just a few days ago;
3) Before that, I was using Sonar 5 Studio Edition, along with my EMU 0202 USB audio interface (last drivers installed). Everything worked just fine.
4) In most of my projects I still use soundfonts (.sf2), including some I made on my own years ago with Vienna and an old SBLive soundcard.
5) To play soundfonts, I still use LiveSynth Pro, which I had installed with one of my older Sonar versions. I never uninstalled it beause, IMHO, it worked way better that the available alternatives (e.g., SFZ, Paax free) in terms of CPU consumption and overall ease of use. Everything worked just fine.
6) Installed Sonar 7, then unistalled Sonar 5. No problem there, since Sonar 7 opens my old Sonar 5 projects and recognizes all the plugins I had installed.
7) But then... something nasty happens when I try to playback old projects that contain more than one instance of LiveSynth Pro: the audio coming out of those projects sounds “dirty” and “chopped”.
8) Then here’s the strange thing... I opened an old Sonar 5 project and proceeded to switch off all instances of LiveSynth Pro one by one, and discovered the following: if I leave only ONE instance of LiveSynth Pro on (any of them), the sound coming out of it is OK, but when I swicth any other instance back on, the sound coming out of both is again dirty...
9) This problem repeats in every project with more than one instance of LiveSynth Pro open: it seems like Sonar 7 doesn’t permit more than one LiveSynth Pro instance to be used at the same time, which is quite strange because it never happened to me in older Sonar versions. I repeat: the same projects using the same PC and audio interface sounded just fine with Sonar 5.
10) The soundfonts themselves don’t seem to be the problem: I tried creating a new project with several instances of SFZ, with a different soundfont in each of them, and everything sounds OK. In new projects with more than one instance of LiveSynth Pro, though, the problem comes back.
11) I tried to alter the latency of the audio interface’s ASIO driver: the sound improved slightly, but the problem was still there. Same after switching to the WDM driver.
12) After all of that, I uninstalled and reinstalled LiveSynth Pro ...no luck there, either.
13) Just when it seemed like I had tried every trick I could think of to make my old projects sound like they did in Sonar 5 with the same hardware setup, I found a solution (sort of) just by luck: I went to the Options/Audio menu, clicked on “Advanced” settings and unabled the “Use Multiprocessing Engine” option. Magically, my old projects sounded like they’re supossed to! At this point, I started to consider sacrificing the raw processing power of the Core2Quad just to be able to hear things right, but then...
14) Sadly though, after this, I closed Sonar and re-opened it a few minutes later, LiveSynth Pro was no longer listed as an available virtual instrument, and in order to be used it had to be re-installed.
15) So, the only solution to my problem seems to be to re-install Livesynth Pro every time I want to use Sonar, which not only is cumbersome but also makes no sense. And if I do so, I still can't use the multiprocessing audio engine.
16) I browsed the forum and found some posts about Livesynth Pro not being able to work in multi-processor computers ...but it did worked in mine, when I was using Sonar 5!!!!
17) So far so good, but the compromise solution I found means that if I want to load multiple instances of LiveSynth Pro into a project, I won’t be able to take advantage of the full processing power of my brand-new Core2Quad-based PC, which of course kind of sucks, AND i’d have to re-install LiveSynth Pro everytime I wanted to use it for a new project or to play back old projects, so my question to forum members is: WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE? HOW CAN I SOLVE THIS? IS THERE A WAY I CAN USE MANY INSTANCES OF LIVESYNTH PRO (without having to re-install it every time) AND THE FULL BRUTE FORCE OF A MULTI-CORE PROCESSOR? WHY NONE OF THIS HAPPENED WITH SONAR 5 IN THE SAME PC? Any help will be much appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help! 2008/07/14 21:34:41 (permalink)
    Your thread is hard to read without spaces.
    what i can get out of it without going cross eyed or getting a head ache is that you may need to adjust your sound card settings in sonar and maybe in your sound card's property page also. Try WDM and ASIO mode and try all different kinds of combo's in the latency and buffer dept. Keep your I/O recording and playback timing master at 128 or 256 or 512 though. Also, download the latest EMU driver for your OS

I would space your post, get rid of all unnecessary fluff and be direct and to the point.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    xtralounge
    RE: Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help! 2008/07/15 06:44:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for answering CJays!

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic
    Try WDM and ASIO mode and try all different kinds of combo's in the latency and buffer dept. Keep your I/O recording and playback timing master at 128 or 256 or 512 though. Also, download the latest EMU driver for your OS

...thanks, but as I said in the original post, I already tried that and didn't work.

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Your thread is hard to read without spaces. I would space your post, get rid of all unnecessary fluff and be direct and to the point.
    Cj

[sm=rolleyes.gif]...funny, before starting the thread I was reading this other thread about "How to get help here", where it clearly states something like "include all pertinent information in your questions". I guess the point is being careful in describing the problem you're experiencing so other readers don't suggest solutions you might have already tried.
    And by the way, what do you mean by "spaces"?
    saharachintha
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help! 2008/07/15 09:32:22 (permalink)
    I also had this problem - After I installed SP update 1 and 2 it worked fine.

Chintha

xtralounge
    RE: Strange problem with Livesynth Pro ...please help! 2008/07/15 09:54:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: saharachintha

I also had this problem - After I installed SP update 1 and 2 it worked fine.

Hey thanks for the reply! I installed the updates, too. I have Sonar Studio instead of Producer ...maybe that's the problem
    However, last week I emailed Cakewalk's technical support but heard nothing from them yet.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1